Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Am I Going to Heaven ?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Pick from the list below what you think is necessary to get you to heaven.
 Obeying God's law and commandments - 28 (52.8%)
Doing your best - 7 (13.2%)
Living a good life - 2 (3.8%)
Good works - 3 (5.7%)
Tithing, or giving money to the church - 1 (1.9%)
Church membership or attendance - 1 (1.9%)
Water baptism - 7 (13.2%)
Holy communion - 4 (7.5%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I Going to Heaven ?  (Read 117553 times)
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2004, 11:38:29 AM »

Faith is a work:

1 Thessalonians 1:3  Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

2 Thessalonians 1:11  Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Even the unsaved can believe:

John 12:42  Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:

James 2:19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Saving faith and the ability to believe comes entirely from God:

Romans 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

There is nothing we can contribute to our salvation.
All we can do is go to our knees and plead to God for mercy.
He is not obligated to give us mercy. He has no obligation to save us, but who knows, perhaps He will have mercy.
He has chosen to save some people. It is His choice, not ours.
We are saved by His will, not ours.

Romans 9:16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Romans 9:18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Romans 9:19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Romans 9:20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Romans 9:21  Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2004, 08:41:15 PM »

ARE YOU SAVED?

This question should receive a "yes" or "no" answer, but it almost never does. Some of the most common responses are:

1. I'm doing the best I can.
2. I've been baptized.
3. I believe in God.
4. I'm basically a good person.
5. I try to live by the golden rule.
6. I am a member of a church.
7. I've always been a Christian.
8. I've made Christ the Lord of my life.
9. I've never done anything really bad.
10. I try to keep the ten commandments.
11. I prayed the sinner's prayer.
12. I'm a lodge member.
13. My father / grandfather / etc. is is a preacher / elder / deacon.

While these responses are interesting, none of them answer the question. One reason people give these unresponsive answers is that they do not understand the question.

The question, "Are you saved?" asks whether you have trusted Jesus Christ's shed blood on the cross as payment for your sins. It is not asking about works that you, or others, may have done.

All of the unresponsive answers refer to something that a person does, but salvation is what Christ has already done for us. The gospel of our salvation is that:

Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (1Corinthians 15:3,4)

His blood purchases for us what we could not earn ourselves.

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: (Colossians 1:14)

What we must do to be saved is quit trusting ourselves and trust the blood payment that Christ has already made on our behalf.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

Knowing that we are sinners and that Christ died for us, we should respond by placing our faith in Christ's payment for our sin.

One day, all men will give an account of themselves to God. Why not settle the question of your salvation today?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2004, 10:08:13 PM »

The question, "Are you saved?" asks whether you have trusted Jesus Christ's shed blood on the cross as payment for your sins. It is not asking about works that you, or others, may have done.

All of the unresponsive answers refer to something that a person does, but salvation is what Christ has already done for us.

What we must do to be saved is quit trusting ourselves and trust the blood payment that Christ has already made on our behalf.
You don't seem to be able to make up your mind - you swap between saying Christ did everything and we don't need to do anything, and saying that we do need to do something ("trust the blood payment that Christ has already made on our behalf").

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2004, 10:36:24 PM »

You are very close but you are still adding work into your salvation.
“What we must do…” If we must do something we are working.
How can a baby trust in the blood of Christ?
Any salvation plan that a baby can’t perform can’t be the salvation plan of the bible.
We are estranged from God as soon as we are born.

Psalms 58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Isaiah 48:8  Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened: for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb.

If you are saved it is because you have been born again.
We contribute nothing to our birth. We don’t get our parents together, we don’t decide now is the time to come forth.
We are born with a corrupt heart.

Genesis 8:21  And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Jeremiah 17:9  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

God changes our heart.

Ezekiel 11:19  And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
Ezekiel 11:20  That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Hebrews 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Hebrews 10:17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

That change of heart makes us a new kind of person. Born again.
Because God has replaced our corrupt heart our salvation is permanent. Were are born again as a new creature in Christ Jesus, we cannot go back to the creature we were before.

2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

There are those that trusted but never were changed. Without the change they are the same creature. The bible uses the unclean animals to represent the unsaved. A pig is an unclean animal, scrub it up all you want it is still one of the unclean animals.

2 Peter 2:20  For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2 Peter 2:22  But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Many people claim Jesus, they appear to be saved, they go to church, become pastors, etc. but they were never saved. Eventually, if they live long enough, they go back to the sludge. Maybe it is wealth, or sex, or power, or …, we may never see their sin, but God does.

Matthew 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They believed they had trusted, they called him Lord. They worked on His behalf.
They were not changed.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
darby

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2004, 10:47:49 PM »

I think what you all are arguing about is a big pile of bull dung.  Jesus would not have intended for you to spend your lives bickering about petty matters.  He wants you to live your lives in a loving and forgiving spirit.  Let questions like "will YOU be SAVED??!!!" be up to God.  Who are we as mere little putrid beings to claim to have such knowledge?  Just shadyup and be good Christians, meaning, LOVE ONE ANOTHER!
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2004, 12:19:18 AM »

You Don't Have to go to Hell

One reason many people never get saved is they think they have committed sins too awful for God to forgive. Such thinking underestimates the grace of God.
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (Col. 2:13)
Notice that the verse does not say some trespasses or most trespasses or even all trespasses except the really bad ones. The verse says all trespasses, and God means what he says. There is no sin you have committed that is larger than God's grace.
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1Timothy 1:15)
Paul was the chief of sinners, yet Christ saved him. If Paul can be saved, anyone can be saved -- including you.

The reason that no sin will prevent you from being saved is that salvation is not based upon what you do or what you have done.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Salvation is based upon what Christ accomplished on the cross.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (1Corinthians 15:3,4)
Christ paid the penalty on the cross that you could not pay, and his blood covered all of your sins: past, present, and future.

If you go to Hell, it will not be because you have committed a sin so terrible that God cannot forgive it. Rather, it will be because you have chosen to reject the free offer of salvation through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

Don't let the sins in your past ruin your future. Trust Christ's shed blood as the sufficient payment for your sins today.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2004, 01:52:05 AM »

Warrior what you don’t see is that you have a works gospel.
More accurately a Grace plus Works Gospel.
True if you have been saved all of your sins have been washed clean in the blood of the Lamb.

1 John 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Unfortunately too many people rest on their work, believing that they have to do something to contribute to their salvation. Not trusting in God entirely.
This idea generally begins with the idea Christ paid for the sins of all of mankind.
Then all you have to do is accept this free gift and all your sins are paid for. The problem is:
The payment can only be made once.
So if Christ has made the payment for every sin ever committed or ever to be committed then nobody would be condemned.
Even those that did not choose Him would be free from judgment.
Jesus paid a terrible penalty He can’t go back and get a refund. He can’t say, “well old so and so didn’t accept the gift so I want to return the suffering I took for him so he can suffer himself.”
The gift God gives is not like the gifts we think of when we pick up a birthday gift, unwrap it and take it.
It is the gift of a new heart.
The gift God gives cannot be refused.
I’m going to make up a story. I used it on another post.
Two twin brothers Mark and Bob are best friends.
Bob has a massive heart attack and is on life support. He is totally unconscious.
Mark in his hurry to get to his brother causes an accident, Mark dies. But before he does he requests that they give his brother his heart.
Bob comes back to consciousness with Marks heart.
Can Bob refuse this gift? Bob did not choose the gift.
(Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.)
This is the gift that God gives us, we don’t have a choice in the matter.

Warrior For Christ
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2004, 09:41:21 AM »

"For the wages of sin is death; but the GIFT of God is ETERNAL LIFE through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom. 6:23).  Do we receive a gift and then try to work for it to keep it?
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #308 on: April 25, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »

Since salvation is through faith and faith alone, then, "NO," works are not part of salvation at all.

The word "GRACE" takes care of this question. Grace is receiving something you don't deserve and cannot earn, and Ephesians 2:8,9 says salvation is by grace. Therefore you cannot do a work to deserve it, nor earn it. That is why Ephesians 2:8,9 says salvation is a "GIFT," and the means of receiving this gift is "FAITH" - believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior.

Romans 11:6 is a tough verse to read, but simple to understand. It basically says that salvation is either by grace or by works, but it cannot be by a mixture of both grace and works.

Read carefully Romans, and you will see that if a person chooses to work for salvation, he will not be saved. But if a person gives up thinking his works can save him and only trusts in Jesus Christ, god will save him.

As we've said, Romans 11:6 says that salvation cannot be a mixture of grace and works. It must be one or the other, and Ephesians 2:8,9 spells it out plainly for us:

"FOR BY GRACE ARE YE SAVED THROUGH FAITH; AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD: NOT OF WORKS LEST ANY MAN SHOULD BOAST."

Yet many who believe that their works are a necessary part of their salvation quote James 2:20 "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD," as a defense for their belief. I've often wondered how they rationalize this contradiction in their minds. they compare two passages of Scripture that seem to say the opposite of each other, as a way of proving a point. But it proves nothing. It's just a way of using Scripture to confuse people into thinking they have a point. However, God is not the author of confusion, nor does scripture contradict itself.

In James 1:1, we are told clearly to whom James is writing:

"THE TWELVE TRIBES (OF ISRAEL) WHICH ARE SCATTERED ABROAD."

Warrior For Christ
« Reply #309 on: April 25, 2004, 09:56:01 AM »

The first epistle of Paul, set forth in our Bible, is the book of Romans. The book of Romans teaches precisely how God saves sinners.  
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2004, 10:07:38 AM »

Salvation – How does one come to Christ?

God justifies ungodly sinners by His Grace upon the ground of the shed blood of Jesus Christ through the means of faith. This complete salvation is bestowed as a free gift of God apart from man’s efforts (works). Salvation is given to those who simply believe the gospel by a free will decision, and put their trust in it.

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

“Now to him that works is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that works not, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” Romans 4:4-5

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »

Warrior,
Why do you contradict yourself?
You say something that is so true:
Since salvation is through faith and faith alone, then, "NO," works are not part of salvation at all.
And
Romans 11:6 is a tough verse to read, but simple to understand. It basically says that salvation is either by grace or by works, but it cannot be by a mixture of both grace and works.

Read carefully Romans, and you will see that if a person chooses to work for salvation, he will not be saved. But if a person gives up thinking his works can save him and only trusts in Jesus Christ, god will save him.

As we've said, Romans 11:6 says that salvation cannot be a mixture of grace and works. It must be one or the other, and Ephesians 2:8,9 spells it out plainly for us:
But then you add work to your message:
the means of receiving this gift is "FAITH" - believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior.
And:
if a person gives up thinking his works can save him and only trusts in Jesus Christ, god will save him.
Where you really go wrong:
Salvation is given to those who simply believe the gospel by a free will decision, and put their trust in it.
I used to believe very much the same thing. Study some more.
Faith is a work:

1 Thessalonians 1:3  Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

2 Thessalonians 1:11  Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

God gives us faith. It is his work in us.

Romans 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

We have salvation because of the faith of Jesus Christ. I think you understand this.

Romans 3:22  Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Galatians 2:16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Faith and believing are gifts from God. We are only able to believe unto salvation because God has worked in us. It is not something we are able to do.

I think you understand we are not saved by keeping Gods commandments, yet we are commanded to believe.

1 John 3:23  And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

There is no way we can actively receive Gods gift.
It is a passive act. We can do nothing to get it.
Two examples from the word of God:

In Mark we have the story of the paralytic man. He had faith Jesus would heal him of his paralysis. He viewed Jesus as a healer not as the savior. But Jesus forgave him for his sins.

Mark 2:5  When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.
Mark 2:9  Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

He received salvation but he didn’t ask for it or seek it.
The second example:
A dead person has no freewill. A dead person can’t believe. A dead person can’t actively receive.
We have an interesting story in Lazarus.
4 days in the grave -- he was rotting.
Jesus commanded him to come forth and he did.

John 11:43  And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Man is spiritually dead.
Jesus calling Lazarus is a picture of salvation.
How do the dead believe?

Joh 11:25  Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Do the dead have freewill? Do the dead choose? How do the dead receive life?

Ephesians 2:1 ¶ And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Ephesians 2:5  Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Ephesians 2:6  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

Warrior,
Why do you add to the gospel freewill?
You suggest reading Romans carefully.
In Romans it says it is NOT of our will.

Romans 9:16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

We can't resist Gods will.

Romans 9:19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

Warrior For Christ
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

Left Coast, here, in short and simple form, is all the information that you need to know in order to go to heaven.

1. Every single person is a sinner.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (Romans 3:23)

As sinners, we are separated from God, who is holy, righteous and just.  Our destiny is eternal separation from God in the lake of fire.

2. Christ's death for our sins

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
Although we deserved damnation and judgment, Christ paid for our sins on the cross.  He then demonstrated his Deity and his victory over death by rising from the dead.  Christ, being fully man and fully God, paid the penalty for our sins that we cannot pay.

3. We can have eternal life by placing our faith in Christ's shed blood for our sins.

Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: (Colossians 1:14)

Knowing that we are sinners and that Christ died for us, we should respond by placing our faith in Christ's payment for our sin.  We are not saved by our own good works but by the grace of God.  Grace can be thought of as unmerited favor or:

God's
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense.

What amazing love!  God sent His son to die that we, who are sinners, might live!

By placing our faith in Christ's shed blood and nothing else, we can have eternal life.  Isn't today a good day to place your faith in Christ?  There will never be a better time.  In fact, there is no guarantee of another day. Trust Christ today.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2004, 06:33:31 PM »

Hi Warrior,
You are so very close to understanding, how we come to salvation.
One of the biggest hurdles to overcome is the doctrines we have been taught.
Your first point is true.
I might add to it.

Romans 3:10  As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Romans 3:11  There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Romans 3:12  They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Your second point is somewhat true.
It wasn’t just at the cross that He paid the price for my sins, He began the payment at the Garden of Gethsemane.
Every sin we commit demands payment. The payment required is to spend all of eternity in a prison called Hell.
When Jesus went to the cross He didn’t just die. He didn’t just bleed some blood. He literally made the payment for the sins of those He came to save.
The payment only needs to be made once. That is why Jesus could not have paid for the sins of every single person on earth. If Jesus paid the penalty then it wouldn’t need to be paid again. Even Hindus, Muslims, Satanists, or atheists would never have to go to hell because Jesus can’t take the suffering back.

Matthew 12:40  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Let’s count backwards.
Sunday    Day 1
Sat. night   Night 1
Sat.        Day 2
Fri. night   Night 2
Friday      Day 3
Thurs. night   Night 3
Where was Jesus Thursday night?
In the garden of Gethsemane.
That is when He began suffering. He began to pay for the sins of those He came to save. He literally suffered the equivalency of an eternity in Hell for each sin. We see a key when it says he sweated as it were great drops of blood.

Luke 22:44  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

On the cross before He died He said, “it is finished.”

John 19:30  When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

He still had to overcome physical death so that we can have a resurrected physical body. But He was finished paying for the sins of those He came to save. He paid the second death that is spoken of in Rev. 20. Then he overcame the death of the physical body when He was resurrected.

Your third point is where you go off.
We cannot ‘DO’ anything. If we do then we are doing a work.
Our salvation is not a result of our faith -- “not of yourselves”  
We are saved because Jesus was faithful.

Philippians 3:9  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Revelation 14:12  Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

We can’t ‘place our faith’ doing so is a work.
How can an infant place his faith on Christ? They need Christ too.
Now if a baby can’t do it then some can do it better than others, some people are more capable. If some are more capable than it can not be a fair and righteous gospel.
If salvation was dependent on our doing something then it has to be available to everyone. If not than those living in a location where the gospel has never been heard could make the legitimate claim they would have put their faith on Him but they had never heard of Him.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the