Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  women pastors?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: women pastors?  (Read 4112 times)
energizerbunny

Allow God to lead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2004, 08:05:43 PM »

I've read all this, and i have to give you what I think.   It was a culture thing.  I should know.  I am called and guess what?Huh

I'm a girl.

I broke a rule; I prayed in school.  (Yeah! I'm a real menance to society.)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »

I've read all this, and i have to give you what I think.   It was a culture thing.  I should know.  I am called and guess what?Huh

I'm a girl.

Whose culture? God's or man's? By which are you called?

Support your local Christian.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 05:50:05 PM »

I'm a girl.

I think that's great, bunny, but, um, to 'xactly WHAT are you called??

Huh
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 06:00:35 PM »

This question was recently posted on another web site.  What scripture would you suggest?

I have always accepted the belief that I was brought up with- that women should not be pastors. However, I have recently been challenged with that question, and now I am not sure.

It's not that I want to become a pastor myself, but rather I am considering attending a church (on a regular basis) that has a man and his wife as joint pastors.

Where in the Bible should I look to answer this question? I just need some general guidance, so I can do some more research. I want to find not only straightforward verse references, but a believable context also.

I know that this can be a divisive issue so please let us purpose to remain civil and scripturally centered.
We tend to confuse pastoring with preaching and preaching with pastoring today. A preacher can be a pastor but a pastor can not always be a preacher. A pastor is a shepherd. A shepherd keeps watch over the flock. A preacher is a herald, a teller or crier of news in this case "good news" of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 4:11.  "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
 12.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
 13.  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
 14.  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
 15.  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"

Verses 12-15 explain the reason for God giving certain ones in the body of Christ. Gender is not mentioned. Now we know the apostles were men, that prophets can be men or women, the examples given in scripture for evangelists are men, examples of pastoring, (shepherding), and teaching are perhaps given as men and women.

Other scriptures show women teaching and perhaps acting as a shepherd. Priscilla comes to mind in guiding Apollos, with her husband, into a more perfect thorough knowledge of the way of God.

Acts 18:24.  "And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
 25.  This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
 26.  And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly."

Another is Phebe, a servant of the church at Cenchrea. A woman that Paul asks the church at Rome to assist in whatever need she had of them.

Romans 16:1.  "I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
 2.  That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer, (patroness, assistant), of many, and of myself also.
 3.  Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
 4.  Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.
 5.  Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.
 6.  Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.
 7.  Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
 8.  Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.
 9.  Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
 10.  Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.
 11.  Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.
 12.  Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.
 13.  Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
 14.  Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.
 15.  Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them."

A few women mentioned by Paul who labored and worked with Paul and others in the Lord.
However one must keep in mind that Biblical pastoring is not the same as many define it today. It does not define as preacher but a watcher of the flock.  A shepherd.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
energizerbunny

Allow God to lead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2004, 08:31:57 PM »

I'm a girl.

God's culture,  and I'm called to stand in front of the congregation and preach the message.  I know God has called me to preach, sorry If I wasn't clear on that before, but I am called to pastor a congregation.  I'm not sure as to why he chose me or why he did that.  But thank God he did!

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 05:29:44 AM »

I'm a girl.

God's culture,  and I'm called to stand in front of the congregation and preach the message.  I know God has called me to preach, sorry If I wasn't clear on that before, but I am called to pastor a congregation.  I'm not sure as to why he chose me or why he did that.  But thank God he did!

Please share your doctrine

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
energizerbunny

Allow God to lead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 05:06:46 PM »

I'm a girl.

Please share your doctrine

Ok here it is.  I am a christian.  I believe we are also in the last days.  In Revelations, there is a verse, (don't have my bible with me right now, not at home) but there is a verse saying that (this is my translation)  God will call the prophets from all nations, of all race and sex to spread the gospel in one last time.  I am not worthy to be called to preach, and I know that, but I am going to anyways.  See, my doctrine used to be "Women pastors and preachers only" but now, I have changed that outlook.  There are women preachers in the field that I know are called.  No one can say a woman is not called to preach, except God.  I mean, it isn't anyone's place to judge wheather a person is called or not.  That's just the way I see it.  Is  that enough or would you like me to tell you step by step what my doctrine is?

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2004, 08:31:39 AM »

No one can say a woman is not called to preach, except God.

Smiley

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2004, 01:17:38 PM »

Smiley

Tongue

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2004, 07:05:08 AM »

Smiley

Tongue

Didn't catch the irony?  Tongue

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 09:46:13 AM »

Smiley

Tongue

I do.   2Timothy chapter 2.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
energizerbunny

Allow God to lead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 04:50:20 PM »

Smiley

Tongue

I just wonder who you are.  Who are you??? Listen, don't you think that culture was the basic reason for that guideline??? THings were a whole lot different than they are today, buddy.  You need to really think about this one!!!!  

Hey this is a rerun:  but who are you to say that I'm not called?  Have you even talked to me in person and i am convinced that if you do talk to me in person, you will see that God has called me to the mininistry of preaching.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 05:27:37 PM »

Smiley

Tongue

I just wonder who you are.  Who are you??? Listen, don't you think that culture was the basic reason for that guideline??? THings were a whole lot different than they are today, buddy.  You need to really think about this one!!!!  

Hey this is a rerun:  but who are you to say that I'm not called?  Have you even talked to me in person and i am convinced that if you do talk to me in person, you will see that God has called me to the mininistry of preaching.

I not only have thought about "this one" I have also prayed extensivly and searched God's Word, not mine. I am nobody, without God through Jesus Christ. As you said, it is not up to me it is up to God and God's Word. Personally I take God's Word at face value.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 07:16:03 PM »

I don't see anything wrong if a woman can minister to a group of women, as a lay minister, and to young adults, co-ed(and younger).

Some denominations, like conservative Lutheran, draw the line at 'ordination'.

Women are active in all aspects of church life except in those requiring ordination as a minister.

That 'seems' sensible to me.  I'm not a Lutheran.

I don't think this "being called' to pastor a co-ed church, tho, is inspired, Energizer, 'cuz of NT scripture to the contrary.  

I would call your 'being called' more a temptation - the same temptation a woman would have in overruling or subjugating a husband - or at least similar to it.

Please consider carefully what you are thinking, and look at what Paul says about it.

There are PLENTY of lay ministries available all over, for women.  Like in homeless shelters, or women's shelters(refugees from their husbands...).  Work that men simply cannot do.

I heard of one elderly woman who had a particular ministry in the prisons.  The inmates called her "Mom".  Few could match the work or have the 'in' that she did.

Undecided
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the