Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I installed SP2 full upgrade today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I installed SP2 full upgrade today  (Read 6631 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:27:24 PM »

So far I have seen no ill effects from the upgrade.  E-Sword was the first thing I checked..lol  I also have numerous older weather software that retrieves weather data from the internet.   Everthing seems to be working fine.

I made a restore point so I could bail out if needed, and recommend anyone upgrading do this also.

One point of interest for those with dial up.  There are 2 downloads that take place.  The first is rather small, however the second one is like 97 megs.  If you have dial up better set it to DL while you sleep.  I have DSL so the DL was rather quick, however the actual install takes quite a bit of time too.

So far life is good with SP2!   Lets hope it stays that way.   Cool

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 12:16:36 AM »

I have heard SP2 was full of bugs.. That it messes up over 40 programs..

I was downloading it, but when I seen how big this file was I stopped it.  I was downloading a 277MB file, YIKES! I should worry with a 200GB hard-drive, but, I do still.

Did I start downloading the wrong file?!   Huh

Blessings,  \o/

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:32:05 AM »

I have heard SP2 was full of bugs.. That it messes up over 40 programs..

I was downloading it, but when I seen how big this file was I stopped it.  I was downloading a 277MB file, YIKES! I should worry with a 200GB hard-drive, but, I do still.

Did I start downloading the wrong file?!   Huh

Blessings,  \o/

I have heard that too Ms.  So far everything seems to be working well.   I didn't have any of the programs that were listed as potential problem areas.  As for the 277MB file, that seems rather large to me.   The first DL did its thing and did a program check of some sort.   Maybe the second DL is based on programs it finds or something... Huh   Anyways, I think as long as you have a restore point before installing you can back up if things south.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Guilo

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:23:03 PM »

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Here is the link to order a free SP2 CD from Microsoft.  It takes a while to get it but its free!
Or have a friend with broadband d-load it and burn it on a CD for you.

G
InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 12:57:03 PM »

I ordered the CD and got in about three days. So if you have dial up you might want to go that route.

MsGuidedAngel, you started to download the "full network install" for installing on multiple computers. The single user file is about 75 to 80 MB.

The problems with SP2 are that windows firewall blocks some programs from accessing the internet. But if you already have a firewall you will want to turn off windows firewall anyway. Windows firewall is not very good. It is better than nothing, but you should have a third party firewall instead.

I know people that have been using SP2(beta) for a few months and have had no problems. SP2 is a important patch. Everyone should install it when they get a chance.

May His peace go with you.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:09:14 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I took the plunge and installed SP2. I did do a system restore point before I installed it, and that's always a great idea. So far, I haven't had any problems. It even recognized my Norton Internet Security (including firewall) and checked it to see if it was up to date. It must have also called Norton Internet Security since Norton came up and asked if I wanted to continue letting Norton handle the security.

I don't know anything about the Windows firewall, but I do know about Norton. From what I've read, I would agree with what's already been said about Windows firewall. It would be better than nothing, but it would not be nearly as good as available firewalls, including free ones. Sygate and ZoneAlarm are excellent free ones.

2nd Timothy, I was also very concerned about e-Sword. Had e-Sword not functioned under SP2, I would have gone back to before SP2. e-Sword is the most used program on my computer, and I would go back to Windows 98 to keep using it. However, XP has really been pretty friendly to most of my programs. However, I really don't see what all the hype is about XP.  Grin  Maybe it is because I don't have any network needs or any other fancy stuff that XP is capable of doing.

At this point, I would simply say that I have XP and XP SP2 under:

Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 09:17:13 PM »

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Here is the link to order a free SP2 CD from Microsoft.  It takes a while to get it but its free!
Or have a friend with broadband d-load it and burn it on a CD for you.

G

Thankie Guilo!!!!!! Grin

I downloaded just now about 1 hour now, WOW, it's so much better and I love SP2 a lot!  I use XP Windows on my computer.

Thanks so much for helping me with the website you at above!!!

Love Always,  \o/

MsGuidedAngel

InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »

I think everyone will find SP2 is just fine. It was tested for months before it was released.

But I understand many being nervous about it. I installed it on my kids computer the first day it was available, but waited for about a week to install on my main computer just make sure (standard procedure for me). And before that, I made a full backup on my external hard drive just to make sure I could completely restore it back to the way it was.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »

I think everyone will find SP2 is just fine. It was tested for months before it was released.

But I understand many being nervous about it. I installed it on my kids computer the first day it was available, but waited for about a week to install on my main computer just make sure (standard procedure for me). And before that, I made a full backup on my external hard drive just to make sure I could completely restore it back to the way it was.

LOL   Cheesy  Standard procdure eh?   Lets see if this kills any games on the kids pc before I let on my pc....hehe.   Just messin with ya IC.  For some reason that just hit my funny bone.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 06:21:46 PM »

LOL   Cheesy  Standard procdure eh?   Lets see if this kills any games on the kids pc before I let on my pc....hehe.   Just messin with ya IC.  For some reason that just hit my funny bone.

Grace and Peace!

Hehe. That's exactly it. If the kids computer gets messed up, nothing to worry about. They will just be mad for few hours while I get it up and running.

Now if my main computer gets messed up, that's a different story. My WIFE will be mad at me. LOL Grin. And it takes a lot longer to restore a 60 GB HDD (about 80% full) than a 10 GB on my kids computer.

All the experimenting gets done on my kids computer. Grin

Peace

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »

Grin

Now if my main computer gets messed up, that's a different story. My WIFE will be mad at me.

I had not considered that.  Wise man you are IC.  Was it Paul that said, "its better to live in the corner of an attic in peace, than in a mansion with a bralling woman?"   Cheesy

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Ralf

Hooray for the axolotl!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 05:00:06 AM »

Hehe. That's exactly it. If the kids computer gets messed up, nothing to worry about. They will just be mad for few hours while I get it up and running.

I am only 7 and have 2x120 gig hdd... when I still only had the one hard drive in.. I was resizing the partitions on the hard drive and the power cut out halfway through the process... 80GB of information... lost... I got a dvd burner now and another hard drive so I'm fine with backing things up before a format. So meh.. anyways... SP2 is marvellous.. a few things I've had to kill.. e.g. the firewall... useless thing.. Anyways.. it comes with all the required patches. eg for msblast and sasser... heh

Anyways.. have fun with it Tongue and I got my free CD from M$ the other day ^_^

-Ralf
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 07:56:38 AM »

I am only 7...

Say what? Huh

Ralf

Hooray for the axolotl!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 05:03:43 PM »

^_^' I got typo.. *runs and hides* umm.. it's suposed to be 17. Before you say something about the 1 and the 7 being far from each other... I use the numpad so leave me alone Tongue
^_^''''

-Ralf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the