Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I'd post in this forum more often, but
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'd post in this forum more often, but  (Read 7747 times)
Alfie

Jesus is Our Bridge Over Troubled Waters

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2003, 05:06:54 PM »

the fact of the matter is I just simply don't go to the movies.
Too much trash, too much violence, too much sex and vulgar language. Almost as bad as TV.  Grin

Those who agree, please say: Aye!

Alfie

God Bless the Beasts and the Children  
for they are truly the Innocents, and
         the Sweetest of Spirits.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 08:40:38 AM »

What about Teletubbies?  
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »

If you don't go to movies, how do you know they have all this voilince and sex in them?  Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Alfie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 12:18:07 AM »

Symphony,

Thank you. Yes, I am aren't I? (a little angel, I mean).  Grin

And, no more Teletubies, either! or as "Mommy Dearest" would say: "No more wooden hangers!". Wink

Alfie

the Sweetest of Spirits.
Alfie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 12:20:04 AM »

Tibby,

Because that little angel that's three frames up told me.  Grin
Next question.

Alfie

the Sweetest of Spirits.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 11:05:04 PM »

True, that, but there are some great ones, too. Where the Red Fern Grows was a sweet family movie. The Apostle with Robert Duvall was really fabulous, too. Anyone seen it?

Alfie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 01:53:17 AM »

Whitehorse,

Unfortunately, I have not seen either one. I was very suprised to hear that some decent movies are still being made, and appreciate the info. Smiley

Alfie

the Sweetest of Spirits.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 10:56:36 PM »

Alfie, you're right-it's slim pickings these days. But every now and again something will come up. What kind of movies do you think you would like if they were clean? I could probably recommend a few.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 11:17:41 PM »

The Fern movie a nice family movie.  Great for the kids.

The Apostle of course probably accurate about much in "the Bible Belt", I suppose.

Most all movies have elements of truth.   Some are quite surprising, unintentionally retelling our human predicament over and over again.   "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin for me was a nice surprise.

But the same time spent in just the plain old Word is probably at least as rewarding, if not moreso, I think.
Alfie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 01:51:43 AM »

Whitehorse,

It's been so long since I've been to a movie it's hard to even explain what might hold my interest. Even though I'm a Californian, I've had my fill of "Hollyweird", you might say.

However, I remember I did like the "Rocky" movies and Rambo too. Also liked "Staying Alive" and "Saturday Night Fever", although I wouldn't go to a Travolta movie anymore. Maybe I just liked tall, dark and handsome back then. LOL Grin

Loved the movies of the 60's though such as "To Sir With Love", "A Patch of Blue", "Poisidion (sp) Adventure",etc. Guess that really dates me.

Believe it or not ET didn't do a thing for me. Maybe it's me. Seemed like everyone else thought ET was the best thing since sliced bread.  Grin

Symphony made a good point; maybe I should just stick to reading.  Wink

the Sweetest of Spirits.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 08:10:01 AM »

Alfie, did you know that "To Sir, With Love" was written(the screenplay), produced and directed by a British artillery officer in WWII, captured by the Japanese--a P.O.W.  I agree with you.  Sidney Poitier is how we'd all like to be, I think.

Whitehorse, what did you like about "The Apostle"?  
Alfie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 10:14:35 PM »

Symphony,

No, I didn't know any of the background on it. Who could have even guessed at that one, and come out close.

Sidney Poitier- he rates as one of the best in my book; one of a kind. His movies certainly reflected his good taste.

Those were the days, my friend.

Alfie

the Sweetest of Spirits.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 10:31:46 PM »

Whitehorse, what did you like about "The Apostle"?  

I really liked the sovereignty element. Duvall plays a King David character who makes a brutally bad mistake, but discovers in the sourest of circumstances, that the Lord has a purpose for everything.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2003, 01:52:50 AM »

Thanks Alfie.  Yes ma'am.  That's for sure.

Whitehorse:  I see.  The "sovereignty element".   You mean that only God is sovereign?  So Duvall, like David, learns that the hard way.

I just remember Duvall going in to threaten someone with a handgun; and that it was a sort of parody on midwestern or southern or biblebelt preachers.  Which I thought was probably pretty acurate.  Tho I don't know the personal lives of these preachers(tho yes, I've certainly heard some stories!).

Being a minister is no easy job, tho.  How do you do it?

Maybe one lesson from Duvall is try not to promise more than you can deliver.  Maybe that's a lesson for ministers in general.  It's easy to promise the sky to a congregation.

If I were a minister I'm not sure how I'd do it.  Knowing what I know now, I'd probably take it very carefully.  Shepherding a flock, a tremendous responsibility.  It's not running a social club.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 11:46:56 AM »

Thanks Alfie.  Yes ma'am.  That's for sure.

Whitehorse:  I see.  The "sovereignty element".   You mean that only God is sovereign?  So Duvall, like David, learns that the hard way.

I just remember Duvall going in to threaten someone with a handgun; and that it was a sort of parody on midwestern or southern or biblebelt preachers.  Which I thought was probably pretty acurate.  Tho I don't know the personal lives of these preachers(tho yes, I've certainly heard some stories!).

Being a minister is no easy job, tho.  How do you do it?

Maybe one lesson from Duvall is try not to promise more than you can deliver.  Maybe that's a lesson for ministers in general.  It's easy to promise the sky to a congregation.

If I were a minister I'm not sure how I'd do it.  Knowing what I know now, I'd probably take it very carefully.  Shepherding a flock, a tremendous responsibility.  It's not running a social club.

I didn't know about the stereotype; maybe it's an element I'm unaware of. I'm thinking that he lost control of his anger because of what his wife did. I saw him as being earnest, but making a very bad mistake. In the end he's angry at God for the circumstances, but then he discovers at the last that God did have a purpose for him, even though his life was very hard.

Yes, it is a very serious responsibility. And I 'm also betting that the devil singles out those who are most effective for the strongest traps, snares, temptations, trials, and difficulties. And God allows it to test our faith and purify us of sin. So I appreciated the movie because here's a circumstance that is far worse than what most of us will ever have to endure. Here is a mistake far worse than what we've committed. (And of course it has to be that way for the purposes of the movie, because no one would listen to the truth that we also blame God for own mistakes if the mistake presented in the movie is something less than what we do. Because then the movie would look judgmental. We have to say for ourselves, "Well, if his faith conquered that, what am I complaining about?" The movie can't say it for us. So it had to be extreme so we can all feel like he's worse than us.) But what we do share is a tendency to blame God for our problems, even when they are of our own making. In this movie. we can see how God may be working through it, even when we fail Him.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the