Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  CHURCH-GOING
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHURCH-GOING  (Read 9474 times)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:33:13 AM »

CHURCH-GOING

By Cornelius R. Stam

There is an important passage on church-going in He-
brews 10:23-25:

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering....
And let us consider one another, to provoke unto love and to good works; not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is... "

We are often urged, these days: "Go to the church of your
choice." The implication is that one church is as good as
another -- just so you go to church. But this is not so.

The Scriptures teach that the true Church is composed of
those who have placed their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ
as the Savior who died for their sins. Such are told to "hold
fast" the faith which they have professed, without waver-
ing. This must come first, for it is only those who have first
exercised such faith who can meet together with unity of
mind and purpose to encourage each other "to love and to
good works."

It is a truly blessed experience for those who have been
saved by the grace of God, to assemble to express their
praise together in song, to lift their hearts together in prayer
and to join together in the study of God’s Word so as to
"grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus
Christ."

In these days of tension and confusion there is a tendency
for even the most sincere Christians to be so occupied with
temporal things that they deprive themselves of the encour-
agement and spiritual uplift that comes from getting to-
gether with other Christians. But these are just the times
when true believers need the encouragement of each other’s
company and should particularly remember the admonition
of Scripture not to forsake "the assembling of ourselves
together, as the manner of some is."

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »

amen , brother love
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:10:45 PM »

BL;
Can you give us a short (or long) biography on C.R. Stam?
I can't find anything on the link you posted.  I know you paste in a lot of his stuff, and I like to "know" my teachers.
Thanks!
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
faith1210

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 02:20:20 PM »

Hello!!

This is my first time here.   Smiley

I have heard somewhere that Church is Ecclesia in Greek.  It means "Called Out."  We think we are choose our own church, but the Lord has called each one of us to be where we belong.

We are all under the sovereignty of God.  If we try to keep our faith dearly, the Lord lead us to the right way.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 02:43:47 PM by faith1210 » Logged

Crossmap Christian Search http://www.crossmap.com
and Christian Post http://www.christianpost.com
are my favorite sites.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:16:11 PM »

Hello!!

I have heard somewhere that Church is Ecclesia in Greek.  It means "Called Out."  We think we are choose our own church, but the Lord has called each one of us to be where we belong.

We are all under the sovereignty of God.  If we try to keep our faith dearly, the Lord lead us to the right way.

Hiya and Welcome Faith1210 to Christian's Unite!! Grin

Yes we are under the Sovereignty of God, Thanks to Jesus who died for all our Sins YaY!!

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 04:09:47 AM »

Hello!!

Hiya and Welcome Faith1210 to Christian's Unite!! Grin

Yes we are under the Sovereignty of God, Thanks to Jesus who died for all our Sins YaY!!

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn

Thanks to Jesus who died for all our Sins ALL sins PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 03:03:28 AM »

GOOD POST BL    Grin

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
BronxBriar
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 10:37:30 AM »

CHURCH-GOING

By Cornelius R. Stam

And let us consider one another, to provoke unto love and to good works; not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is... "

Brother,

Isn't the issue more about church 'choosing'?

See, that's my problem. How does one choose the 'right' church? Which practices in a particular church can one overlook? Do we have to be in 100% agreement?

If I believe that baptism is not a necessary ordinance does that keep from attending every Baptist church (or any church that baptizes for that matter)? Does that make me Quaker?

As a dispensationalist I could never attend a Covenant Reformed/Presbyterian Church for I would never hear the dispensationalist truth preached.

So how does one choose...do I church-hop until I find the right one? That dosen't appear to be be practical or spiritually helpful....Is there a future in home-churches? Anabaptists without local congregations will sometimes meet that way.

Just some random thoughts...but darn..YOU got me thinking!

Appreciate any clarification you might be able to provide.

Regards,
Henry (looking for community of faith)
BigD
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 04:18:15 PM »

BL;
I can't find anything on the link you posted.  I know you paste in a lot of his stuff, and I like to "know" my teachers.
Thanks!
JN

JudgeNot:
As one that has gotten to know Pastor C.R.Stam personally, I felt a great loss at his passing last year at the age of 94.

At the time of his passing his hearing was almost completely gone as well as his eyesight. However, his mind remained clear to the end.

I met him in late 1964 when he was the president of the Berean Bible Society; which he founded.

At the time I met him he was filling in at a small Church in Riverdale, Ill that did not have a pastor at that time. Also, I had gone unchruched for many years the first time I attended that church.At the time I attended that church Pastor Stam started a series on the book of the Acts. In one sermon, he caused me to become a dispensationalist. I had never even recall hearing that word before.

This series lasted several Sundays, in that time I did get to know him personally. Also, later I had moved to Sioux Falls, S.D and we would make yearly visits to our church. It was always a joy to see and hear him.

I do have, and read all of his writings. Many of them several times. Everytime I do read his books I keep seeing more and more of God's Grace. Also, when I read his books; I can almost hear him speak the words, because he wrote and spoke in the same manner.

Pastor Stam did not have any college or seminary training. He aquired his writing skills as a result of his father incouraging him to read quality literature, and his father had him write "thank you" notes to the contributos of the Star of Hope Mission, which his father started in Patterson, NJ.

His father was born in Holland and was a comedian by trade, and not a Christian.

At the Star of Hope Mission, Pastor Stam was able to hear the great pastors of that day preach at the mission. He listened in on many of the discussions that his father held with those men.

Whether I give you a long or short history of Pastor Stam, I could never do him justise.

The Berean Bible Society published a 131 page book "The Memoirs of Pastor Cornelius R. Stam". It was published last year as a one time publication. It is an inspiring read, and I am willing to loan it to you or anyone else who would like to read it. It is a remarkable story. I will mail it to you at my expense and trust you to return it.

In order to be able to mail it to you, or anyone, I would need to know your mailing address. I [PROMISE I will not mail any other literature that is not requestd.

My e-mail address is: jellema@alliancecom.net

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord.

Berean_

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »

BL;
Thanks!
JN

JudgeNot:
As one that has gotten to know Pastor C.R.Stam personally, I felt a great loss at his passing last year at the age of 94.

At the time of his passing his hearing was almost completely gone as well as his eyesight. However, his mind remained clear to the end.

I met him in late 1964 when he was the president of the Berean Bible Society; which he founded.

At the time I met him he was filling in at a small Church in Riverdale, Ill that did not have a pastor at that time. Also, I had gone unchruched for many years the first time I attended that church.At the time I attended that church Pastor Stam started a series on the book of the Acts. In one sermon, he caused me to become a dispensationalist. I had never even recall hearing that word before.

This series lasted several Sundays, in that time I did get to know him personally. Also, later I had moved to Sioux Falls, S.D and we would make yearly visits to our church. It was always a joy to see and hear him.

I do have, and read all of his writings. Many of them several times. Everytime I do read his books I keep seeing more and more of God's Grace. Also, when I read his books; I can almost hear him speak the words, because he wrote and spoke in the same manner.

Pastor Stam did not have any college or seminary training. He aquired his writing skills as a result of his father incouraging him to read quality literature, and his father had him write "thank you" notes to the contributos of the Star of Hope Mission, which his father started in Patterson, NJ.

His father was born in Holland and was a comedian by trade, and not a Christian.

At the Star of Hope Mission, Pastor Stam was able to hear the great pastors of that day preach at the mission. He listened in on many of the discussions that his father held with those men.

Whether I give you a long or short history of Pastor Stam, I could never do him justise.

The Berean Bible Society published a 131 page book "The Memoirs of Pastor Cornelius R. Stam". It was published last year as a one time publication. It is an inspiring read, and I am willing to loan it to you or anyone else who would like to read it. It is a remarkable story. I will mail it to you at my expense and trust you to return it.

In order to be able to mail it to you, or anyone, I would need to know your mailing address. I [PROMISE I will not mail any other literature that is not requestd.

My e-mail address is: jellema@alliancecom.net

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord.

Sorry Big D...As good as anyone's intentions are, you may never get that book back. If it means something to you...do not loan it out. Things happen sometimes Big D...you could lose it, so if you are going to loan it out...loan it out with the attitude you are actually giving it away so that you will not be disappointed if it is not returned.

I am not a pessimist ...but a realist.

You are certainly a good hearted man!
BigD
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 11:10:41 PM »

Berean posted:
Sorry Big D...As good as anyone's intentions are, you may never get that book back. If it means something to you...do not loan it out. Things happen sometimes Big D...you could lose it, so if you are going to loan it out...loan it out with the attitude you are actually giving it away so that you will not be disappointed if it is not returned.

Berean:
I have loaned Pastor Stam"s books our for years. In fact I have ordered 3 complete sets of his books because they just never came back.

This book is one that I probably wouldn't be able to replace, but I have read it, enjoyed it and believe others would enjoy it also. So If I never get it back, I only hope the last one to read it will "loan" it out to another.

Maybe you would like to read it.

Like I have said before: "I may have been born at night, but it surely wasn't last night.

God Bless.
Berean_

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 05:25:16 PM »

Berean posted:

Berean:
I have loaned Pastor Stam"s books our for years. In fact I have ordered 3 complete sets of his books because they just never came back.

This book is one that I probably wouldn't be able to replace, but I have read it, enjoyed it and believe others would enjoy it also. So If I never get it back, I only hope the last one to read it will "loan" it out to another.

Maybe you would like to read it.

Like I have said before: "I may have been born at night, but it surely wasn't last night.

God Bless.

Big D said>>>Like I have said before: "I may have been born at night, but it surely wasn't last night.

LOL...no it surely wasn't... Lips Sealed
Berean_

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 03:17:54 PM »

CHURCH-GOING

By Cornelius R. Stam

Brother,

Isn't the issue more about church 'choosing'?

See, that's my problem. How does one choose the 'right' church? Which practices in a particular church can one overlook? Do we have to be in 100% agreement?

If I believe that baptism is not a necessary ordinance does that keep from attending every Baptist church (or any church that baptizes for that matter)? Does that make me Quaker?

As a dispensationalist I could never attend a Covenant Reformed/Presbyterian Church for I would never hear the dispensationalist truth preached.

So how does one choose...do I church-hop until I find the right one? That dosen't appear to be be practical or spiritually helpful....Is there a future in home-churches? Anabaptists without local congregations will sometimes meet that way.

Just some random thoughts...but darn..YOU got me thinking!

Appreciate any clarification you might be able to provide.

Regards,
Henry (looking for community of faith)

The book of Hebrews is written to just that...the Hebrews.

Nowhere does Paul command a believer to attend a church building. The church is the Body of Christ and as such true believers are all united one to another. Assembling together with other believers is uplifting, and I do desire it, but I can do that in a variety of ways.

I am with Henry...there is no way I can sit through a church service where the truth is not taught. What am I learning? I have found that only strife is caused when I present what I believe. It is better to find those outside of the church and perhaps start a church, then to try and change a pastor's mind or anyone in a church.

Maybe an ad in your newspaper may bring others of the same beliefs together to start a meeting in someone's home. I know where I live there are enough people for meeting, but no home to accomadate that, and no money to keep up the rent for a bldg. So we wait on God.

Home churches seem to be on the rise these days as more and more churches turn away from God's Word.

Churches are a good place to learn the Word of God and to fellowship. But you are not out of God's will by not going to one. Today we have many means of learning God's Word. His Word is readily available to us...which wasn't the case in Paul's time. Everyone didn't have a copy of the Scriptures, so they would have to gather to hear it read and gather to hear preaching or teaching.

We have many places on the internet to read articles from good teachers of God's Word. We can fellowship on the internet, lead others to the Lord and to learning the Word rightly divided on the internet...all which I have done. I have had some of the best fellowship ever over the internet...laughed till tears were coming down my cheeks and had some of the most serious discussions about the Lord ever. I have made good friends which I have gone to meet in person.

I think church choosing is the most important, not church going.

God bless...

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 04:09:39 PM »

<Smiley))><

Amen Brother Love!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 04:10:31 PM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

Berean_

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 06:24:01 PM »

<Smiley))><

While I totally, with my whole heart believe this statement, I feel this ignoring Henry's honest question. I am not in the least trying to cause any kind of problems, but I notice his question is always skirted over. I think it is a good question that many people are having a problem with today.

What do you think one should do? What do you do?

Thanks and God bless...

Amen Brother Love!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the