Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Matrix
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Matrix  (Read 14496 times)
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2003, 12:55:06 PM »

As a side note, SYMPHONY, this name is for anyone who enjoyed Final Fantasy VII. Symphony? What kind of a name for a guy is THAT?

For the people who cannot decipher between sarcasm and seriousness, that was all sarcasm.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2003, 04:28:01 PM »

Musicgirl4Christ

God of Wonders beyond our galaxy, you are holy!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2003, 02:42:43 PM »

hmm...I was reading over the posts and someone said something along the lines of "Violence doens't affect me..."

That's just the problem. These days violence DOESN'T affect people. That is one way our society is declining. People have starting accepting violence as an okay thing.

Some violence, yes. But as much as I've heard is in the Matrix, someone else who posted said it right: WWJD? or rather WWjS (what would Jesus say?).

God Bless!

*1 Thessalonians 3:12*
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2003, 03:34:05 PM »

I said violence in MOVIES doesn't affect me. I don't think that unjustified violence in society is a good thing by any means.

WWJD is an overused and misused term that we shouldn't ask ourselves all the time. How do you know with any certainty what Jesus would do in today's society and culture? It says in the Bible (somewhere) that only the things that come out of a man, rather than those that enter him, can make him unclean.
Musicgirl4Christ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2003, 06:37:08 PM »

why is violence is movies okay but it isn't in real life? yes, in movies nobody is ACTUALLY getting shot or killed etcc.... but it is still the same message.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2003, 07:42:29 PM »

EVERYTHING affects you, Saphhire.  You're just not always aware of it.  There are layers of consciousness, other than just the top one you're using right now.   I think there is such a thing as "gratuitous" violence.  And what purpose does it serve.  

Nope, there's something  illicit about all of this in entertainment.  We frequently justify a particularly violent beginning to a movie, for instance, in order to see the unfolding of the intrigue and suspense later on;  my instincts tell me even there, where the only violence is at the very beginning, perhaps, that something gratuitous or cynical is nevetheless taking place--and at my expense too, in terms of time wasted.

I agree with Sapphire(sigh, I can't believe I'm saying this) that the WWJD thing is hackneyed and over done.

Still, if girls want to wear it as a bracelet or emblem, etc., to remind them of that question, um, it IS a legitimate question.

What WOULD Jesus Do?  I don't see any thing wrong with the question.  And, there are going to be plenty of chances to be persecuted for the Name of Jesus, here, going forward.  So we might as well get use to it now.
Musicgirl4Christ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2003, 09:46:34 PM »

Symph, you said everything I was trying to say. And WWJD is overdone as the bracelet or emblem, anymore it means nothing as far as your faith goes. But, like you said, it is a legit question we should all think about.  Cheesy

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2003, 09:50:47 PM »

...In another thread, seeing as THIS one is SUPPOSED to be about the quality of The Matrix trilogy.
Gangrene

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 12:59:43 AM »

What does everyone think about the Matrix Trilogy thus far?

Matrix Reloaded has a decent story, nice visual effects, and a few great fight scenes.  The best portion of the movie is definitely the freeway fight scene, and the explanation for ghosts and UFO's is smart.  The twins are a nice touch.  However, the story is not nearly the level of quality as that of the first.  The philosophy drones on in anime fashion and the characters do not really develop IMO.  Some of the story elements are cheesey, such as the kiss scene, and Zion seemed to be little more than a big rave at the center of the Earth.  The sex scene was a big waste of time.

A question about the movie.

WWJD?

That question is overdone and a complete waste of time.  The simple answer is we just don't know.  As much as some would like to think He would spend 24-7 at his local church and give all his money to charities, given his choice of actions I think He would spend time with people other than Christians and would not be afraid of every piece of pop culture that came along.

The Bible is full of violence, and at times is a preferred method by God for dealing with humans.  Violence in the Bible is justified by the context of the story, and the same can be said for violence in movies.  If you're watching a movie about WWII it is unreasonable to want it to not have violence.  It is best, IMO, to question the context in which violence is framed, and not worry so much about violence itself.  While I do believe there is such a thing as gratuitous violence, the inappropriate context will probably be apparent.

But on the Matrix, and the gratuitous violence, as Corpus points out, wasn't that cited as part of the "inspiration" for the Columbine shootings?  I thought that was how they dressed.

The Matrix was not the inspiration for the Columbine shootings.  The kids did dress in similar clothing, but their plan had been in development before the Matrix was released.  The fact that they were the bottom of the social food chain was probabley a much greater factor for their actions than any game or movie.

Gangrene
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2003, 12:44:32 PM »

The sex scene was a big waste of time.

But since sex seems to be the big rage in Hollywood nowadays, they just HAD to put it in, you see.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2003, 01:02:09 PM »

The sex scene was a big waste of time.

All of Zion was a big waste of time. All we need is to see the councilmen who believes Morphous, the commander who doesn’t, and see the seen with the spoon, and that is it. The Dance was CLEARLY nothing more then a cheap attempt to capitalize in the emotions of the Mosh pit and Rave crowd. The dance it self didn’t make any since

“YES, we are the last remaining humans on earth and giant squid-like robots are coming to kill us, lets PPAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR-TTTYYYYYYYY”

But since sex seems to be the big rage in Hollywood nowadays, they just HAD to put it in, you see.

Why? They took the sex seen out of the first one and it did fine!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2003, 01:12:53 PM »

I know. I was being SARCASTIC.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2003, 01:41:30 AM »

Maybe the reason we are not able to decipher between sarcasm and seriousness, has to do with the fact you have yet to learn how to WRITE sarcasm! We are reading what you are saying, we don’t hear the inflexions in your voice, we don’t see your face expression, we can’t tell what your tone is. If you are going to be “SARCASTIC” then use a smiley! The use of sarcasm relies almost ENTIRELY on hearing and seeing, all we can do is read. If you are going to use sarcasm, please use a smiley, otherwise we will never know.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2003, 11:46:50 AM »

No. I will NOT use a Smiley. Never ever.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2003, 01:22:05 PM »

lol Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the