Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  To Be Baptised - True Meaning.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To Be Baptised - True Meaning.  (Read 3808 times)
WhatSayYou

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:37:25 PM »

Can someone provide me with scripture describing what is involved with baptism?

"For God is not the author of confusion, mankind is."
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:01:04 AM »

READ: 1 Corinthians 12:13 with Ephesians 4:5

NOWATER

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:07:34 AM »

(Mat 28:19)  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

(Mar 16:16)  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Joh 3:5  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Act 1:5)  For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

(Act 2:38)  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(Act 2:41)  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

(Act 8:16)  (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

(Act 8:36)  And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

(Act 8:38)  And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

(Act 19:5)  When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

(Act 22:16)  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

(Rom 6:3)  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

(Rom 6:4)  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

(1Co 12:13)  For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

(Gal 3:27)  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

(Eph 4:5)  One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

(Col 2:12)  Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

(1Pe 3:21)  The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

1Jo 5:8  And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 08:15:58 AM »

NO WATER!

(Rom 6:3)  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

(Rom 6:4)  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

(1Co 12:13)  For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

(Gal 3:27)  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

(Eph 4:5)  One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

(Col 2:12)  Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

NO WATER!

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 08:43:04 AM »

NO WATER!

Of course water - read the entire Bible for a change stop focusing on a few verses you understand and learn.

Death and buried in these verses both refer to the burial in water in baptism.

But even more clear about it is Christ Himself.

John 3:5  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
emtmedgrl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 01:14:01 PM »

I'm not so quick to believe that that verse can be taken literally as water baptism.  This is my own interpretation.  I know there are many different theories, but this is what makes the most sense to me.
The question Nicodemus asked was, “How can a man be born again when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? “Jesus answered.” Notice that Jesus is answering the question that Nicodemus asked, which was “how he could return again to his mothers womb.” Jesus does not go off on a tangent by talking about baptism by immersion. In fact, He does not do anything other than answer the direct question of Nicodemus.  
Jesus answered his question very directly saying, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." It is clear from the passage that Nicodemus thought that Jesus was talking about a PHYSICAL rebirth. Jesus responded to his misconception by saying that this is not a physical birth (mother's water) but a SPIRITUAL birth.  
My thinking is backed up by reading verse 6 as well
6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[2] gives birth to spirit.
Another point I'd like to add is it is certainly difficult to suppose that Nicodemus would have understood "water" as referring to the not-yet-existent Christian baptism.  At that time John the Baptist was still doing the baptism of repentance which is no longer being done.  If I am incorrect about all this I'd be happy to hear some replies.  I'm still studying it out for myself.

Thanks,

Amanda
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:21:39 PM »

I'm not so quick to believe that that verse can be taken literally as water baptism.  This is my own interpretation.  I know there are many different theories, but this is what makes the most sense to me.
The question Nicodemus asked was, “How can a man be born again when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? “Jesus answered.” Notice that Jesus is answering the question that Nicodemus asked, which was “how he could return again to his mothers womb.” Jesus does not go off on a tangent by talking about baptism by immersion. In fact, He does not do anything other than answer the direct question of Nicodemus.  
Jesus answered his question very directly saying, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." It is clear from the passage that Nicodemus thought that Jesus was talking about a PHYSICAL rebirth. Jesus responded to his misconception by saying that this is not a physical birth (mother's water) but a SPIRITUAL birth.  
My thinking is backed up by reading verse 6 as well
6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[2] gives birth to spirit.
Another point I'd like to add is it is certainly difficult to suppose that Nicodemus would have understood "water" as referring to the not-yet-existent Christian baptism.  At that time John the Baptist was still doing the baptism of repentance which is no longer being done.  If I am incorrect about all this I'd be happy to hear some replies.  I'm still studying it out for myself.

Thanks,

Amanda

I have seen this spiritualization of the idea of water baptism before but it has many flaws - most importantly is that it was never thought of by anyone until the past couple hundred years.  What that means is that for the first 1800 years (well through even the Reformation) the best theological minds of the world interpreted this verse to be taking about water baptism.

Even in the New Testament it is clear that the eunuch and Phillip, Peter and even Paul understood it to be talking about water baptism as they performed it on all those who entered the Church.  

Ask yourself if your interpretation was accurate why do John the Baptist old water baptism at all?

emtmedgrl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 01:44:38 PM »

Matt. 3:6 Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. ....
Matt. 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. ...
John's baptism was not Christian baptism-
it was a Jewish baptism of washing with a new spiritual meaning. In this case it is always referred to as the baptism 'unto repentance'. John's call was the coming of Christ is at hand. John’s baptism was the prophetic message that those born of Jews are not the real Israelite and they needed to repent and become real spiritual Israelite.
Acts 19:1-7 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.
So we have the answer straight. John's baptism was baptism of repentance and also of discipleship. John's baptism was also symbolic of rebirth- being dead to the sin and reborn. Act 19:17 indicates that John's baptism was prophetic indicating the coming of Messiah.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 02:05:21 PM »

Matt. 3:6 Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. ....
Matt. 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. ...
John's baptism was not Christian baptism-
it was a Jewish baptism of washing with a new spiritual meaning. In this case it is always referred to as the baptism 'unto repentance'. John's call was the coming of Christ is at hand. John’s baptism was the prophetic message that those born of Jews are not the real Israelite and they needed to repent and become real spiritual Israelite.
Acts 19:1-7 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.
So we have the answer straight. John's baptism was baptism of repentance and also of discipleship. John's baptism was also symbolic of rebirth- being dead to the sin and reborn. Act 19:17 indicates that John's baptism was prophetic indicating the coming of Messiah.

This is my point exactly - Paul and the others were not seeing themselves as performing John the Baptist Baptism.  They saw what they were doing as different from that.  Yet they still Baptized people with water.  If the reference to water Baptism in John 3:5 is about being physically born then why did the Apostles Baptize and consider it different from what John the Baptist was doing?

emtmedgrl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 02:17:50 PM »

I want to clarify something here.  I do believe we are suppose to baptize with water by the way.  My comments about John 3:5 are in no way trying to prove that baptism shouldn't be done in water.  To be honest I go back and forth with friends of mine for the Church of Christ and they look at John 3:5 and believe that the scripture is stating that unless you are baptized you will not enter the Kingdom of God.  Anyway, just wanted to clarify.   Grin
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 02:23:33 PM »

I want to clarify something here.  I do believe we are suppose to baptize with water by the way.  My comments about John 3:5 are in no way trying to prove that baptism shouldn't be done in water.  To be honest I go back and forth with friends of mine for the Church of Christ and they look at John 3:5 and believe that the scripture is stating that unless you are baptized you will not enter the Kingdom of God.  Anyway, just wanted to clarify.   Grin

That is baptismal regeneration.
While I believe that baptism is important and should be done, it is not essential to Salvation.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 02:28:09 PM »

While I believe that baptism is important and should be done, it is not essential to Salvation.

I can understand how you would not necessarily believe that it is the cause of salvation, but it sure seems to be essential unless oyu can come up with another meaning for the word "except" in John 3:5.

His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 02:59:31 PM »

I can understand how you would not necessarily believe that it is the cause of salvation, but it sure seems to be essential unless oyu can come up with another meaning for the word "except" in John 3:5.

If someone excepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour and suddenly dies before being able to be baptized will they go to Heaven?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 03:24:52 PM »

If someone excepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour and suddenly dies before being able to be baptized will they go to Heaven?

Yes just as the thief on the cross did.  It is called baptism of desire.  The act is not the issue the intent is.

emtmedgrl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

I truly believe that if the person accepted Christ and they died before they were able to get baptized that they would go to heaven.  

A few questions...

1 Corinthians 1
17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

I understand the context of this verse however if Baptism is necessary to our salvation then why would he have said this???  I have asked many people this question and no one can give me a straight answer.
Also, another question if you don't mind is if you have to be baptized to be saved why did the Holy Sprit pour out onto the Gentiles in Acts 10:44-46 before they were baptized??
44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues[2] and praising God.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the