Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Honoring Those Who Have Served
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Honoring Those Who Have Served  (Read 1899 times)
Photogrunt

I am an Army of One for The One!

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2003, 08:43:40 AM »

Got this from a good friend...allow me to share it with all of you....

At a recent Soldiers Breakfast held at Redstone Arsenal, AL, Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA) Jack Tilley shared the following story: (The incident was recorded by James Henderson, with the U.S. Army Redstone Huntsville Chaplain Association Chapter.  He described a recent visit to our wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington that I (Chaplain Henderson) will never forget.)

"The Special Forces soldier had lost his right hand and had suffered severe wounds of his face and side of his body.  As SMA Tilley described, how do you honor such a soldier, showing respect without offending?  What can you say or do in such a situation that will encourage and uplift?  How do you shake the right hand of a soldier who just lost his?  Finally he told how he acted as though the man had a hand, taking his wrist as though it were his hand and speaking encouragement to him.

"But he said there was another man in that group of visitors who had even brought his wife with him to visit the wounded who knew exactly what to do.  This man reverently took this soldier's stump of a hand in both of his hands, bowed at the bedside and prayed for him.  When he stood from praying he bent over and kissed the man on the head and told him he loved him

"What a powerful expression of love for one of our wounded heroes!  And what a beautiful Christ-like example!  What kind of man would kneel in such humility and submission to the Living God of the Bible?

"It was George W. Bush, President of the United States and Commander in Chief of our Armed forces, a true leader."

...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15b)

I support our troops!
kathleen5

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 02:47:26 PM »

Wow!  Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Kathleen
Wren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:43:33 AM »

Excellent excellent story! You can like George W or dispise George W, but hes a GOOD man! To deny that is simply  the act of a fool. Bless him and his!

...old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.....
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:34:52 PM »

With this president, you can know he actually meant it, too. Wink

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 01:43:42 AM »

Amen, brother

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 03:48:19 AM »

Well, he might have done if the story were true:

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 05:42:52 AM »

I have on my home and car.

archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 08:55:26 AM »

There will never be enough thank yous or praise for the men of the USA who have served in our military now or in the past  but I'd like to say thank you to all those military wives and husbands who are giving up precious time with those they love for us.  God bless you all too and may you know we appreciate your sacrifice as well.   Smiley     Love in Christ,

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 05:46:19 PM »

GOD BLESS AMERICA’S FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN

by David Sisler

When a member of America’s armed forces dies, protecting those of us who remain behind in our pampered comfort, it is always a sad day. How trite that sounds, to try to express the emotions of the ultimate sacrifice.

But in recent days the memories of those who have given “the last full measure of devotion” have been darkened by other news.

One of America’s heroes, Pat Tillman, who gave up a multi-million dollar football career, and ultimately his life, to serve America, was probably killed by “friendly fire.”

The ongoing degradation of every member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard by a press determined to lump all who serve with the few who committed atrocities at Abu Ghraib.

In the midst of all of that, yesterday America remembered all of our honored military dead.

President George W. Bush issued the following proclamation (which was barely noted by the media – the first place I found it was on the Pakistan News Service):

“For more than two centuries, Americans have been called to defend the founding ideals of our democracy. On Memorial Day, a grateful Nation remembers the proud patriots who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of liberty's blessings.

“From the opening battles of the American Revolution through the turmoil of the Civil War, to World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, to the Persian Gulf and today's operations in the war on terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, and around the world, the members of our military have built a tradition of honorable and faithful service. As we observe Memorial Day, we remember the more than one million Americans who have died to preserve our freedom, the more than 140,000 citizens who were prisoners of war, and all those who were declared missing in action. We also honor our veterans for their dedication to America and their sacrifice.

“This year, we honor many heroes by observing the 60th anniversary of D-Day on the beaches of Normandy, and by dedicating the National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. In a radio address on June 6, 1944, President Franklin Roosevelt described these service members as the "pride of our Nation," who struggled to preserve our civilization. The fallen from that fateful day and that war will always be remembered. They hold a cherished place in the history of the United States and in the memories of the people they liberated.

“Today, all who wear the uniform of the United States are serving at a crucial hour in history, and each has answered a great call to serve our Nation on the front lines of freedom. As we continue to fight terrorism and promote peace and freedom, let us pray for the safety and strength of our troops, for God's blessing on them and their families, and for those who have lost loved ones.

“On this Memorial Day, we honor all of our fallen soldiers, their commitment to our country, and their legacy of patriotism and sacrifice. By giving their lives in the cause of freedom, these heroes have protected and inspired all Americans.”

America’s soldiers are not honored by NASCAR races, by backyard cook-outs, or by special sales at the shopping mall. Enjoy all of them, but next year, just for one minute (and if you read the entire proclamation you know that is all President Bush asked for) stop and honor their memory, honor their sacrifice, give thanks for what they did for you.

To the fallen: this writer salutes you. And honors your memory with heart-felt thanks. Your blood protected me.

And a soul-felt thanks to Jesus Christ. Your blood saved me.

http://davidsisler.com/

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 05:32:29 PM »

How interesting, that Reagan died so close to D-Day.

Praying for the men in battle, and for their families.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the