Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:35:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  death penalty right or wrong?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: death penalty right or wrong?  (Read 22221 times)
Revelation_777

The LORD is my light and my salvation!

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:13:57 PM »

Sad   When is the punishment worst then the crime? Criminals are tried and sentenced to years of prison or parole. In some cases they are sentenced to  death. It is alright to punish the criminals, but to go as far as deciding when there life should be ended. It is not ours as humans to decide there fate. We didnt create life so we have no right to end it. It is the same as abortion; killing a life except in this case an adult life. Its still murder! No matter how bad the crime, we have no right  to  determine their time of death. It is a right that belongs to  God only!!
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 08:23:29 PM »

Please don't confuse murder with killing.
There is a big difference between ending the life of a murderer and ending the life of an innocent baby.
Comparing the two is comparing oranges and apples.

What do you think the punishment should be for a murderer?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:41:35 AM »

Please don't confuse murder with killing.
There is a big difference between ending the life of a murderer and ending the life of an innocent baby.
Comparing the two is comparing oranges and apples.
They are both fruit.

Surely that's in the hands of God.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:09:29 AM »

I the old testament it does say that if a person or animal kills a person then they must be put to death. I know that it is some where in Genesis I don't exactly know where though.

Kris

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 03:13:24 AM »

I the old testament it does say that if a person or animal kills a person then they must be put to death. I know that it is some where in Genesis I don't exactly know where though.

Kris
It also says we should stone people to death for adultery.  But then Christ had something to say about that.

His_child

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 08:56:37 AM »

Surely that's in the hands of God.

God has given us guidelines.
What do we do?
Let them run free?
Lock them up for a few years?
Have them spend life in prison?
Death penalty?

People can't just run around saying the death penalty is wrong with out coming up with some clear answers to remove the dangers from society.

Can't invent His deity.
infotechadviser

He whom the Son sets free, is free indeed!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 09:23:59 PM »

"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."  Eccl. 8:11.

If you say that one should not execute a criminal for some such act, you cannot just say it's up to God to punish him. You still have to decide on something, if you're a civil authority.

Jesus made a point about hypocrisy with the priests and elders who wanted to stone the woman, he also made a point about forgiveness. He also had some very strong words for what awaits evildoers.

Remember the foolish "children" who mocked Elijah for his baldness, and Elijah cursed them, and they were mauled by the lion? Of course he reserved the actual sword for the prophets of Baal.

I'm actually not sure about it yet, but there are arguments on both sides that invalidate themselves. For example, to say killing is wrong so don't punish someone with execution, that argument falls down if you apply it to any other crime.

Like kidnapping, holding someone against their will. You'd have to free the entire prison population, unleash them upon your own neighborhood for example, no death penalty, no involuntary incarceration. Hm.. This is wrong too, eh?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 11:11:37 PM »

The sixth commandment "Thou shall not kill" is more accurately translated "Thou shall not murder".
Huge difference.

There are crimes so heinous as to deserve death on earth.

But even the worst of the worst are given the chance (they all have access to a pastor or priest) to be forgiven by Jesus before they are sent on their way.

We can only pray for them, that they are forgiven by Him, and we see them in Heaven one day.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 11:38:19 PM »

To Whom it may concern:
So, the "men" whose crime is described below, who if proven guilty, should be allowed to live and possibly cut the heads off other little children?  Perhaps we should just give them their advanced PHD in abortion.  Angry

A bail review is set for Tuesday for Adan Espinoza Canela,17, and Policarpio Espinoza, 22. They were each charged with three counts of first-degree murder. They were being held without bail at Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 28.

The men are accused of killing 9-year-old Ricardo Espinoza; his 9-year-old sister, Lucero Quezada, and their 10-year-old cousin Alexis Quezada. The children were found dead Thursday afternoon. One child had been decapitated with a butcher knife; the other two were partially decapitated.

What if they were YOUR children?  Would you still be anti-death penalty?

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Aeline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 02:10:51 AM »

Since you asked this question, then I’ll answer it in my own opinion. Even though I’m young, and don’t have children I have an idea of how I’d feel if someone did that to my family (even if they weren't my family I'd feel the same way). I would hope that he/she would be punished, and I’m not saying 40 years in prison and then let out into the world to do it again. I’m saying, I hope that individual would be punished by lethal injection, and I’m sure that might not seem so humane of me... But do you really want a person out there in the world who could slaughter children?

I’m for the death penalty. When I think of that Helter Skelter incident where that man mutilated that woman and her unborn baby… he’s still alive, and he knows that he got away with it. Even though the law in CA has been changed now, I think it was for a good thing. There are so many freaks out there who would want to make a name of themselves by doing something horrible.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004, 02:23:52 AM »

People can't just run around saying the death penalty is wrong with out coming up with some clear answers to remove the dangers from society.
If the object of the exercise is to protect the rest of society, that can be done just as well by lifetime incarceration as by the death penalty.  

Most of the western world operates perfectly well without the death penalty.

It's supposed to be one or more of:
protection
punishment
deterent

certainly NOT revenge.

Like kidnapping, holding someone against their will. You'd have to free the entire prison population, unleash them upon your own neighborhood for example, no death penalty, no involuntary incarceration. Hm.. This is wrong too, eh?
In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to lock anyone up either.  We do the minimum that we need to do to protect the innocent and allow society to operate.

Reba
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 02:24:38 AM »

Sad   When is the punishment worst then the crime? Criminals are tried and sentenced to years of prison or parole. In some cases they are sentenced to  death. It is alright to punish the criminals, but to go as far as deciding when there life should be ended. It is not ours as humans to decide there fate. We didnt create life so we have no right to end it. It is the same as abortion; killing a life except in this case an adult life. Its still murder! No matter how bad the crime, we have no right  to  determine their time of death. It is a right that belongs to  God only!!

Yup and God left us a set of rules, guidelines to live by and the rules  allow for capital punishment.

Lev 24:17

17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
KJV

Lev 24:17

17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
KJV

Num 35:16-17

16 And if he smite him with an instrument of iron, so that he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.

17 And if he smite him with throwing a stone, wherewith he may die, and he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
KJV

In reading the whole text one can see they had 'due prosses' of law.  Jesus in the story of the  woman cought in adultry carried the law through to completeness. The jury simply could not convect.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 02:26:51 AM »

"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."  Eccl. 8:11.

If you say that one should not execute a criminal for some such act, you cannot just say it's up to God to punish him. You still have to decide on something, if you're a civil authority.

Jesus made a point about hypocrisy with the priests and elders who wanted to stone the woman, he also made a point about forgiveness. He also had some very strong words for what awaits evildoers.

Remember the foolish "children" who mocked Elijah for his baldness, and Elijah cursed them, and they were mauled by the lion? Of course he reserved the actual sword for the prophets of Baal.
So you think women should be stoned to death for adultery, and children mauled to death by bears for teasing?

His_child

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 02:32:20 AM »

If the object of the exercise is to protect the rest of society, that can be done just as well by lifetime incarceration as by the death penalty.  

Most of the western world operates perfectly well without the death penalty.

Lifetime imprisonment is inhumane. It is cruel!

It's supposed to be one or more of:
protection
punishment
deterent

certainly NOT revenge.

It's not revenge. It is protection, punishment and a deterent.

In the USA the death penalty is seldom enforced and murders happen too often to mention. Murderers aren't afraid of what may happen to them.

Can't invent His deity.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 05:20:38 PM »

It's not revenge. It is protection...
Amen, His_Child, Amen.

JPD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the