Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Problems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems  (Read 11498 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 05:53:05 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I will be the proud owner of a new PC, probably in a matter of days. I'm thinking about reserving a partition on the HD for Linux and taking a look at some of the new and user friendly GUIs for Linux.

I think that a lot of folks have figured out Microsoft's grand plan. They have a 5 year plan for supporting software, and they fully expect for you to buy a new operating system and all of your software over again every 5 years. Well, I'm not going to cooperate.   Grin  There is now a suite that is compatible with Microsoft's super expensive Office products. It's called Open Office, and it's free. Yes, I have a copy, and I think it is actually better than Microsoft Office.

OR, I guess we could all go back to the small, elegant, and practical DOS.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 03:08:18 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

OR, I guess we could all go back to the small, elegant, and practical DOS.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom
I don't think some of these "kids" Wink know of D.O.S.  although I liked version 5.0.  Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 05:58:42 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Dreamweaver,

I'm positive that most of the younger folks don't have a clue what DOS is.   Cheesy  That was a time when the computer accepted your instructions instead of the computer giving you instructions. That was also a time when developers wrote small applications that actually worked with very small memory requirements. A crash was rare and usually happened when something burned out inside the computer.

Now, you can get the Windows "Blue Screen of Death" for holding your mouse wrong. The programs and memory requirements are huge. WOW!!! - talk about prices. The hardware prices have come down dramatically, but the OS and programs are through the roof. I think that most of us are being held hostage by Microsoft.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 01:35:36 AM »

I think that most of us are being held hostage by Microsoft.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom
Yup we sure are hostages. I alway thought that it was against the law to hold hostages. Roll Eyes

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 09:53:12 AM »

Yup we sure are hostages. I alway thought that it was against the law to hold hostages.

Microsoft just found a legal way to do it. They have had a few problems along the way with practices related to monopolies and unfair business practices. They've also had recent problems with entire countries dumping the Microsoft OS and going to open source type software, like various flavors of Linux. They also replaced the super expensive Microsoft Office with the open source and completely compatible FREE Open Office. There are alternatives, and those alternatives are getting better by the day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 12:53:37 AM »

Yup we sure are hostages. I alway thought that it was against the law to hold hostages.

Microsoft just found a legal way to do it. They have had a few problems along the way with practices related to monopolies and unfair business practices. They've also had recent problems with entire countries dumping the Microsoft OS and going to open source type software, like various flavors of Linux. They also replaced the super expensive Microsoft Office with the open source and completely compatible FREE Open Office. There are alternatives, and those alternatives are getting better by the day.

Love In Christ,
Tom
I will be downloading Open Office tonight. I'll let you know what I think of it blackeyedpeas.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 01:59:10 AM »

Dreamweaver Said:

I will be downloading Open Office tonight. I'll let you know what I think of it blackeyedpeas.

Brother, you will like it. I have experimented with it for several months now and find Open Office to be superior to Microsoft Office. It doesn't have a database, but it does have just about everything else, and it's all compatible with Microsoft output and input. I have Microsoft Office 2000 Pro on my old computer, and I easily decided to save $500 by not having it on the new computer. The file sizes in Open Office are much smaller, and it appears to be faster, at least on my old machine that I'm replacing. Quite a bit of the original work on Open Office was done by Sun, the same company that does state of the art Java. Open Office used to be called Star Office, and it has been greatly improved since Sun decided to let it be open source. In this case, open source means that a reasonable fee can be charged for copies and the media it is on, but the software must be free. I bought a CD of Open Office for $6.50, including shipping. Trust me, it's excellent.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 05:45:48 AM »

Well I just blew 2 hours. I got disconnected from their server. Looks like if I want to try it, I will have to buy a copy. Grrrrrr

Deacon

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2004, 09:36:50 PM »

Well, JudgeNot, about half my non-microsoft programming is not compatible with xp is why not. I can't afford all new programming. And you are quite right about ME - the buggiest program in creation. The silly thing is, after a while you start to get used to them   Tongue

uhh, my ME does autodetect too. I just need to plug in my new hardware and reboot. If you know how to use your software you can make it do a lot of things.

Dreamweaver already has a perfectly good ops in Win98SE and didn't want to have to buy XP and in that case my advice was good: Uninstall ME and reinstall Win98 - they are quite similar (98 is minus a few .dll files etc which can be downloaded from other places); and Dreamweaver doesn't rely on microsofts mail or browser programs, which is where a lot of the security problems lie.

Also, xp is sort of set up with some stuff that has future security concerns (for my part) and so I hesitate to go there til I know more. The OS updates without knowledge - definitely an invasion of privacy, unless you allow it. I most definitely would not.  Lips Sealed

Now, if someone asked me "what do I get with my new computer" I'd probably say XP because from what I can tell, there's not a lot of choice left anymore. WinXP is pretty much "user friendly". If I were starting fresh, I might actually do the Debian/Gnu/Linux route.... at least I wouldn't be dependent on microsoft.   Cool

Gracey

What kind of programs? You can install it and make them work w
* Deacon if you know what you are doing. If you tell me the names of some of the programs I will show you the right way.
Lionroar0

I'm a Lion

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:15 PM »

Hi
Before you up grade to 98se or xp. Make sure you have the processor power and memory to run xp. I would install win pro 2000. A list of programs that you have would help to determine what OS to to install.

Also for us who are on dial up and get disconnected and lose downloads i recommed: Fresh Downloads. It's a free dwonload manager that when us on dial up get disconnected you can resume where you left of. You can get it at www.majorgeeks.com  They have tons of shareware and freeware to download.  Most web sites will let you down load where you left of, some won't.

I also have ME.  The worst thing that this OS has it's a resource cache that open up and allocated resources as soon as you start your PC and it doesn't matter if you turn them off after the pc is started.  One thing that i did was to configure my pc so that certain programs do not turn on when start my pc. Then i have more resources to use. IF i do need a program to start i simply click on the icon for that program to start.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2004, 05:48:17 AM »

BEP I found a program similar to Open Office, its called........ 602PC Suite 4.0, it works as good as MS Office. Grin
And a whole lot smaller 24.2 MB. Grin

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2004, 09:05:51 AM »

602PC Suite

Hi DW: I've used this and installed it on all my family/friends computers. It's perfectly fine...I like it a lot.

Deacon:

Thanks for your offer of help, but to be frank, my biggest concern with xp is this:

Also, xp is sort of set up with some stuff that has future security concerns (for my part) and so I hesitate to go there til I know more.

uhh, I hesitate to say what I know about the "future" development of some of the currently built-in features, because it was told me in confidence, but I will say that what they hope/plan/would like (?) to do is not conducive to our personal privacy, and in fact would actually mean they've taken over our digital lives, completely. Nor, is it currently "fact", so it could be considered gossip, but it's scary enough to me to keep away from xp for now.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2004, 06:47:50 PM »

BEP I found a program similar to Open Office, its called........ 602PC Suite 4.0, it works as good as MS Office. Grin
And a whole lot smaller 24.2 MB. Grin

Oklahoma Howdy to DreamWeaver,

Yes, I've heard of that. I understand about Open Office being a big download. However, I just paid $6.00 for shipping and handling to get a CD. It's amazing there are a bunch of programs that are completely free and excellent. That's because there are a bunch of great programmers out there who don't like the Microsoft monopoly and them being able to charge whatever they want for their products. Microsoft Office Pro is now about $500, so it's way out of my budget.

I'm glad that you found something free that you like.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the