Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Knowing Christ's words
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knowing Christ's words  (Read 9187 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2004, 02:52:34 PM »

I am simply passing on Christ's words who is our teacher. These aren't my words, they're His! That's why if anything any of us says does not agree with his words, then they are false teachings.

Why do I have to be a teacher to believe His words? It isn't ME who I want people to look at, it's Christ! I'm simply a tool that he uses just like you are. If people learn through me, then they are being drawn by God. I've said the exact same thing to atheists who aren't interested at all. Therefore, it is not me who teaches, but the Holy Spirit that works in all of us. As long as the Holy Spirit leads me, God's work will be accomplished to the degree that He is using me. Any teaching that is intended to glorify ourselves is fostering the sin of pride.  
Nickolai

Eastern Orthodoxy is Awesome

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2004, 03:01:20 PM »

I am simply passing on Christ's words who is our teacher. These aren't my words, they're His! That's why if anything any of us says does not agree with his words, then they are false teachings.

No you're not.  You're not only passing on Christ's words in your posts.  Your telling us what you think they mean.  If you truly only believed what Christ said you probably wouldn't have any limbs now, or eyes.  You are giving us your interpretation of Christ's words along with Christ's words    

Why do I have to be a teacher to believe His words? It isn't ME who I want people to look at, it's Christ! I'm simply a tool that he uses just like you are. If people learn through me, then they are being drawn by God. I've said the exact same thing to atheists who aren't interested at all. Therefore, it is not me who teaches, but the Holy Spirit that works in all of us. As long as the Holy Spirit leads me, God's work will be accomplished to the degree that He is using me. Any teaching that is intended to glorify ourselves is fostering the sin of pride.  

So He is just using you as a tool?  So that everyone on earth can be a tool?  Do you see where your interpretation lands you.  You're now a robot who can not decide anything for yourself.  You can't recognise good from evil on your own and you are helpless.  That's not how God created us.  It's NOT how He works.  
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2004, 03:38:40 PM »

Why do I have to be a teacher to believe His words?

Because we are all to be teachers of the Word. Christ's own words say so. "Teacher" as a title (or Rabbi) is different than being a teacher of the word.

So He is just using you as a tool?  So that everyone on earth can be a tool?  Do you see where your interpretation lands you.  You're now a robot who can not decide anything for yourself.  You can't recognise good from evil on your own and you are helpless.  That's not how God created us.  It's NOT how He works.  

Peace children.

But yes, Nickolai - we are vessels, some of us even broken vessels which God fills and uses, when we allow it. The problem is many of us refuse to allow Him to work through us.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2004, 06:08:04 PM »

Sorry, Nick, but I'm actually the ONLY one here who is passing on Christ's words EXACTLYas they were written, "Do not call anyone on the earth 'father'." Period. Amen.  I believe those words. It is others, rather, who are trying to change those words into something else, especially the catholic church! I also am passing on the words "And do not call anyone on earth 'teacher, for you have only one teacher." Once again it s you who are trying to change His words. I believe them verbatim!
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2004, 06:53:48 PM »

I believe them verbatim!

Be careful, Heidi, else they begin quoting the parables, which none of us can take verbatim.

Keep on, my dear.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2004, 07:09:53 PM »

Actually, none of the words I've quoted are parables. Jesus tells us which are parables and which are not. His parables are also true. Every single word.
sojourner

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2004, 07:42:28 PM »

Heidi,

Heidi, Heidi, Heidi....

How can you do it.

Here is a post just above:
Sorry, Nick, but I'm actually the ONLY one here who is passing on Christ's words EXACTLYas they were written, "Do not call anyone on the earth 'father'." Period. Amen.  I believe those words. It is others, rather, who are trying to change those words into something else, especially the catholic church! I also am passing on the words "And do not call anyone on earth 'teacher, for you have only one teacher." Once again it s you who are trying to change His words. I believe them verbatim!

You don't really believe them verbatin at all.  How could you. You just told at least two people in other posts that it only refers to 'titles' and only religious titles. Do you not realize
that you are contradicting yourself. Determine what it means for you and then consistantly stick to it, don't speak out of both sides of your mouth.
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2004, 08:45:04 PM »

The ONLY one?
Gee, that sounds like the same thing you accuse the pope and cult leaders of doing.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
blainefabin

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2004, 08:56:18 PM »

so you believe this verbatim??

Mat 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed [it], and brake [it], and gave [it] to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.  

Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave [it] to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;  

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.  

mike

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2004, 09:27:47 PM »

The wine and bread represent Jesus's body. Jesus was sealing the covenant of His body, given for us. He had not died yet so no one could eat His flesh and drink His blood while He was alive. Since none of his words contradict each other, when taken in conjunction with His words that He is the bread of life, all who eat His flesh and drink His blood will inherit eternal life, the bread and wine are to be done in remembrance of Him. Receiving His body inside us in the form of the Holy Spirit is literally eating His flesh and drinking His blood. I was accused of not passing on Christ's words. Again, I believe every word He said.
Nickolai

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2004, 10:40:14 PM »

The wine and bread represent Jesus's body. Jesus was sealing the covenant of His body, given for us. He had not died yet so no one could eat His flesh and drink His blood while He was alive. Since none of his words contradict each other, when taken in conjunction with His words that He is the bread of life, all who eat His flesh and drink His blood will inherit eternal life, the bread and wine are to be done in remembrance of Him. Receiving His body inside us in the form of the Holy Spirit is literally eating His flesh and drinking His blood. I was accused of not passing on Christ's words. Again, I believe every word He said.

You keep saying that Eating the Body and Blood of Christ means that the Holy Spirit of CHrist lives in us.  But the Holy Spirit does not belong to Jesus.  Jesus and the Holy Spirit are two seperate persons.  Just as the Father is NOT the Son.  The Holy Spirit is NOT the Son.  The Holy Spirit Being in us is seperate from Christ in us.  We obtain Christ in us through the Eucharist and only the Eucharist.  The only way this can work is if we take Christ at his word when He says "This IS my Body" and "This IS my Blood".  These are Words of Christ that you don't seem to profess.    
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2004, 10:57:03 PM »

Gal., 2:20, "For I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Read the last several pages of the gospel of John, Nick. "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you." Habbukuk said, "Woe to the person who says; 'wood come to life!'" You cannot get life from a worldly ceremony, or worldly items. Christ is alive and well and dwells in the bodies and hearts of His believers. All you have to do is BELIEVE HIS WORDS. If you want to believe ALL of his words, you also have to believe him when he said; "I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that came down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I AM THE LIVING BREAD THAT CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN. IF ANYONE EATS THIS BREAD, HE WILL LIVE FOREVER. THIS BREAD IS MY FLESH, WHICH I WILL GIVE FOR THE LIFE OF THE WORLD." He goes on to say, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and i will raise him up at the last day." Once you BELIEVE this, you will understand what communion represents. You have to take into consideration ALL of his words, not just one passage.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2004, 11:23:18 PM »

Actually, none of the words I've quoted are parables. Jesus tells us which are parables and which are not. His parables are also true. Every single word.

You've mistaken what I said Heidi - I said that they (meaning other posters) would begin quoting the parables to you. You can't possibly take the parables "verbatim" and get any real meaning.

You can, however, quote the parables verbatim. It simply means to repeat the words as they were spoken (or written). Which is perfectly fine to do, but if you don't also understand the meaning of them, they are useless to quote - otherwise, what would people make of oh, say the parable of the prodigal son? A nice story, but without some other meaning it doesn't mean much. You understand the difference?

He also said things like:

Mar 4:9  And He said to them, He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Well, almost everybody has ears, but not everybody hears. There's more meaning to those words than just what is written the way it stands. Deaf people have ears, but they can't hear, even if they want to. If we want to understand them, we have to attach a meaning to them. What is the meaning? Christ is telling us to not just listen, but to "hear" (in otherwords to understand). You see the difference?

The parables were not meant to be read without understanding:

Mar 4:11  And He said to them, To you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God. But to those outside, all these things are given in parables
Mar 4:12  so that seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
Mar 4:23  If any man has ears to hear, let him hear.

And, He also warns us:

Mar 4:24  And He said to them, Take heed what you hear. With that measure which you measure, it shall be measured to you. And to you who hear, more shall be given

Sorry, Nick, but I'm actually the ONLY one here who is passing on Christ's words EXACTLYas they were written,

You may believe that statement, but it simply isn't true. You are also adding your own understanding to them, as in this case:

The wine and bread represent Jesus's body. Jesus was sealing the covenant of His body, given for us. He had not died yet so no one could eat His flesh and drink His blood while He was alive. Since none of his words contradict each other, when taken in conjunction with His words that He is the bread of life, all who eat His flesh and drink His blood will inherit eternal life, the bread and wine are to be done in remembrance of Him. Receiving His body inside us in the form of the Holy Spirit is literally eating His flesh and drinking His blood

This is your interpretation of the act of communion. These are not his words, exactly, but these are:

Mat 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed [it], and brake [it], and gave [it] to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.  

Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave [it] to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;  

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.  

If you leave it at that without any explanation, then you are not using any interpretation. But as soon as you begin to explain what they mean, the "verbatim" ends.

It does appear that it usually to boil down to semantics.

Peace
Gracey

ps: Heidi, you do understand that typing in all capital letters means you are yelling? If you want to to add emphasis to something without yelling, try using the italics or bold function instead. At least peeps won't think you are yelling all the time.

†† Guided by God ††
Nickolai

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2004, 11:34:36 PM »

Gal., 2:20, "For I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Read the last several pages of the gospel of John, Nick. "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you." Habbukuk said, "Woe to the person who says; 'wood come to life!'" You cannot get life from a worldly ceremony, or worldly items. Christ is alive and well and dwells in the bodies and hearts of His believers. All you have to do is BELIEVE HIS WORDS. If you want to believe ALL of his words, you also have to believe him when he said; "I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that came down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I AM THE LIVING BREAD THAT CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN. IF ANYONE EATS THIS BREAD, HE WILL LIVE FOREVER. THIS BREAD IS MY FLESH, WHICH I WILL GIVE FOR THE LIFE OF THE WORLD." He goes on to say, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and i will raise him up at the last day." Once you BELIEVE this, you will understand what communion represents. You have to take into consideration ALL of his words, not just one passage.

If I take Christ at His word.  EVERY SINGLE verse you gave supports literal communion.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2004, 11:34:53 PM »

Gracey, you have to believe ALL of his words, verbatim, not just a few passages here and there. When you see that he also said many words about eating his flesh and drinking his blood you will see that he meant to eat both his living body and the bread and wine. The words in the parables are also true. It is true that if someone does not have ears he cannot hear. My point is that if you believe his words first, then understanding will follow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the