Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Questions on Witnessing...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions on Witnessing...  (Read 16753 times)
Neo
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

Take a look outside.  It's written over every blade of grass, every tree and every cloud passing in the sky.  Granted.  It's proof that requires faith, otherwise, it never would please God.   Smiley

1.) Existence exists.
2.)
3.)
818.) Therefore, the Christian God exists as you say he does.

Please fill in the gaps. You know as well as I do that your response is unsatisfactory.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 02:12:39 PM »

Take a look outside.  It's written over every blade of grass, every tree and every cloud passing in the sky.  Granted.  It's proof that requires faith, otherwise, it never would please God.   Smiley

1.) Existence exists.
2.)
3.)

Please fill in the gaps. You know as well as I do that your response is unsatisfactory.

Oklahoma Howdy to Neo,

Why don't you prove that you exist first so we'll know that we aren't wasting our time with an imaginary entity or an automated computer? You'll have to prove that to yourself first, and that might be difficult for you.

Neo
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 08:50:07 AM »

I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I exist.

Can you do the same for God?
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 09:42:45 AM »

1.) Existence exists.
2.)
3.)

No, actually that response is most satisfactory neighbor!   Smiley  Namely because I qualified it:

Granted.  It's proof that requires faith...

The gaps are simple.  God exists, not because I say so, but because He says so in His Word.  He says so, I put my faith and trust in Him.  My faith comes only from hearing, and that from His Word.  I simply believe God, not believing just in God.  And again, it requires faith.  In what do you place your trust Neo?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 09:58:41 AM »

I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I exist.

Can you do the same for God?

Neo,

DO IT THEN!  I don't think you can! GO FOR IT! As far as I'm concerned, you don't exist. You're just an automated computer and a figment of your own imagination.

Neo
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 09:21:45 AM »

LOL  Grin

Two things:

1.) Calling me an "automated computer" or a "figment of my own imagination" doesn't imply that I don't exist, merely that I exist in a different form than that which I have presented to you.

Besides, implying that I have an imagination implies that I exist.

2.) If you want to play that way, BEP, then you pretty much throw yourself in your own kind of solipsistic disneyworld in which nobody matters but you, because you are the only one that you are SURE exists.

In order to make sense of the universe, we must assume the following:

1.) Existence exists.
2.) Consciousness exists.
3.) "A" is "A."

If you don't accept the above (for fear of making one of those assumptions) then you really aren't going to get all that far in life.

Would you like me to come to your house with a fifty page web log of my activity on this board, a seven CD cache of my computer activity, my social security card, my driver's license, three witnesses, and my school ID?

Because, you know, those would probably provide sufficient evidence of my existence.

If God can come up with something similar, I'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 09:22:37 AM by Neo » Logged
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »

Would you like me to come to your house with a fifty page web log of my activity on this board, a seven CD cache of my computer activity, my social security card, my driver's license, three witnesses, and my school ID?

Because, you know, those would probably provide sufficient evidence of my existence.

If God can come up with something similar, I'd love to hear it.

He did!  It's called the stars and the planets and the moons...You place faith in your existence because you have proof.  We place faith in God's because we believe the proof He has given.  And again, in what do you place your trust my friend?   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 09:24:40 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Neo,

Grin  You didn't prove a thing. Let me make it easier for you. Is there any court of record in the US that has given judicial notice that you exist? Judicial notice would be a stipulation that you do indeed exist and that fact would not be argued in that particular court. Driver's License, Social Security cards, and other forms of identification can be easily falsified, so they would not be acceptable at all. Birth certificates are also easily forged. If you actually exist as a real entity, have you ever proved it?

It gets better from here. Go for it!

Tom

archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2004, 06:00:38 AM »

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.  For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable iin all his ways. James 1:5-8

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
Neo
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2004, 11:17:11 AM »

Grin LOL

BEP, are you saying that if I were to come to your house, point to myself, and say, "I exist," you would tell me that I DIDN'T? Because you'd be convinced that I'd taken the time to forge all of my documentation and convince a bunch of people to lie to you?

I don't necessarily have to prove who I am; merely that I exist. And to doubt the existence of a man standing in front of you seems a bit of a stretch to me.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 09:27:22 AM »

Grin LOL

BEP, are you saying that if I were to come to your house, point to myself, and say, "I exist," you would tell me that I DIDN'T? Because you'd be convinced that I'd taken the time to forge all of my documentation and convince a bunch of people to lie to you?

I don't necessarily have to prove who I am; merely that I exist. And to doubt the existence of a man standing in front of you seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Yyyyyyupperz Mr. Neo Sir!   And why would he say such a thing?  Because God has come to your house, pointed to Himself, and said "I AM" and you have said that He DOESN'T.  No documentation?  Gotta whole Bible full of that.  Doubting the existence of a man standing in front of me that I can see, is only slightly less of a stretch than denying the existence of God Whomst I cannot see, but have all the evidence I'll ever need to believe that He not only is, but is a Rewarder to them that believe on Him.   Smiley

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 10:00:10 AM »

In many places in the Bible, God repeats a point over and over:

Psalm 95:7-8, Hebrews 3:8, Hebrews 3:15, Hebrews 4:7
"Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts”

It is clear God wants us to hear and understand this short message.  Why?

Hebrews 3:19
“So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.”

Belief is everything.  We cannot enter in to His Kingdom without it.  Without it we are nothing.  Without it works are futile.  Without it a person is lost.
Blatant disbelief is fatal.

Just a little thought.  Have a nice day.  Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 07:15:30 PM »

Grin LOL

Oklahoma Howdy to Neo,

I'll accept judicial notice that you exist without seeing you. However, I doubt very seriously that you have that, especially considering that some people serve time in prison under false names. Documents and identifications can be easily obtained. Yes or no - do you have judicial notice that you exist?   Wink  Well??

Tom

colleen

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2004, 11:04:26 AM »

Might I say this is all rather silly?  

I'm Christian. I BELIEVE in God.  It is a belief.  A belief I hold as fact.  However, I have absolutely nothing to back this up.  It boils down to "I believe."  I don't have proof.

My existance or lack thereof doesn't prove God exists or that he doesn't.  Lack of proof is not lack of something's existence.  How long did people think coelocanth was extinct before it was found?  Of course that is a little different.  There was proof it existed just not that it still existed. Alternately, existance of one thing doesn't prove the existence of another thing.  My dog doesn't exist b/c I do, and God doesn't exist b/c I do.  My existence doesn't prove there is a god.  

Really,  I find it funny when people try to prove God for "X" reason.  I believe in God and I still find it humorous.  You can give what you feel is evidence, but don't be upset when others have other explanations for your "evidence."  

They can't know there is no God anymore than we can prove there is one.  All we have is belief.  We can hold our beliefs as facts, I do.  At least, try to be smart enough to realize that if someone is looking for proof you don't really have it.  They are miracle driven.  They are those who see and will not believe.  You can "prove" nothing to them, and in actuality we should realize we have nothing to prove anyways.  

And to get the topic back on track:
The best thing to do when they ask for proof of God is to turn the question around.  Do they have proof there is no God?  Christians don't have proof God existed, and athiests don't have proof that he didn't.  That's all there is to it folks.  Honestly, it works for me.  Most questions can be turned around.  Why to why not?  I find that often times they want an answer they can't give a proper refute to when asked the opposite, and wish to use your lack of "appropriate" answer as the chink in your whole argument.  Why not point out their's as well?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:16:19 AM by colleen » Logged
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 06:28:25 AM »

How do we answer questions such as, "Can you prove God, or Jesus, Exists or existed?"
God can not be proved using man's methods of proving or disproving. He is evidenced by one's faith.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the