Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:58:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Water Baptism Today - Get's Old, Huh?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Water Baptism Today - Get's Old, Huh?  (Read 5345 times)
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 07:43:42 AM »

I'll field this one Shylynne if you don't mind.

I dont mind a bit Allinall, well said - ONE GOSPEL   Smiley

Avbunyan: Also, Shylynne would you be so kind as to explain:
"It only gets old when you lose your first love."

Let`s refer first to this passage:

Rev 2:4  Nevertheless I have [somewhat] against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

It clearly says you leave your  first love by falling away from repentance and first works. You`ll find Paul referring to these works meet for repentance in Acts.

First in acts 19 we find Paul baptizing:
Act 19:4  Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5  When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Then  in Acts 26 Paul defending his [works] with these words:
 Act 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.  

Then finally in the book of Galations Paul  warning the Galations against works of the Mosaic Law, but also saying that only those who have been baptized unto Christ have truly ‘put on’ Christ.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Jesus Christ.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The whole of the gospels includes water baptism, you can ignore it, refute it, try to find a way around it, say its old news, refuse to put on Christ because your theological cloak suits you well enough, but that says - according to the Word of God - you dont love the gospel message.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 09:04:41 AM »

NO!!! Its the gospel  according to : Shylynne  - and you dont love the Grace Gospel message.

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

Ephesians 4:5

1 Corinthians 12:13

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Nickolai

Eastern Orthodoxy is Awesome

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 10:51:41 AM »

Why do so many people put more faith in an incomplete book than they put in God, who they claim people need to pay attention to.  
AVBunyan
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 03:54:28 PM »

Why do so many people put more faith in an incomplete book than they put in God, who they claim people need to pay attention to.  

What do you mean by "incomplete book"?

Where do you get the idea that people put more faith in a book (I'm assuming you mean the scriptures) than God?

Thank you  Cool
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 04:12:15 PM »

Where do you get the idea that people put more faith in a book (I'm assuming you mean the scriptures) than God?

Thank you  Cool

Cheesy
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2004, 04:34:26 PM »

1 Cor 12:13 "FOR BY ONE SPIRIT ARE WE ALL BAPTIZED INTO ONE BODY--" Note: The foregoing (Holy Spirit administered baptism), is but one facet of the unique present day ministry of The Holy Spirit Comforter,3rd Person Holy Trinity; whose unique ministry did not commence,until Christ's ended,at Christ's Ascension at Acts 1:8-11. "Membership" occurs at the moment of one's salvation.
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2004, 04:56:54 PM »

Wouldn’t it be so much easier to stick with the whole gospel?
It only gets old when you lose your first love.

Which Gospel?

Shylynne, please tell us.

Brother Love Smiley

Take your pick: Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John

Smiley

Matt, Mark, Luke,and John's four synoptic gospels, could not possibly be New Testament epistles, in as much as The Testator of The New Testament did not die, until (the close) of these epistles. And that therefore---The New Testament, could not possibly have been "IN FORCE" (during) the entire life and ministry of Christ Jesus, as plainly so stated in Heb 9:15-17.
Nickolai

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2004, 06:21:21 PM »

Thank you  Cool

I meant exactly what I said.  It's not complete.  It does not contain the entire teachings of the Apostles.  It was never meant to.  Remember I belong to the Church that created the Bible.  They chose the Books and under guidance of the Holy Spirit they put them together as a canon.  Here is what the list actually says.  This is the exact text of the Canon created then in the 4th century when they decided on what books would be the Bible.

"Let the following books be counted venerable and sacred by all of you, both clergy and Laity. Of the Old Testament, five books of Moses, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy; of Joshua the Son of Nun, one; of the Judges, one; of Ruth, one; of the Kings, four; of the Chronicles of the book of the days, two; of Ezra, two; of Esther, one; [some texts read "of Judith, one" ;] of the Maccabees, three; of Job, one; of the Psalter, one; of Solomon, three, viz.: Prov- erbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs; of the Prophets, twelve; of Isaiah, one; of Jeremiah, one; of Ezekiel, one; of Daniel, one. But besides these you are recommended to teach your young persons the Wisdom of the very learned Sirach. Our own books, that is, those of the New Testament, are: the four Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John; fourteen Epistles of Paul; two Epistles of Peter; three of John; one of James, and one of Jude. Two Epistles of Clemens, and the Constitutions of me Clemens, addressed to you Bishops, in eight books, Which are not to be published to all on account of the mystical things in them. And the Acts of us the Apostles.

But no where does it say in any of the Canons or the Bible itslef that the Bible is a perfect and Complete book.  Only that it contains truth.  But not all truth.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2004, 08:57:15 AM »

What is in the bible is EXACTLY what we are meant to hear. Otherwise, every thought that Jesus ever thought, or the apostles ever thought, every act, including going to the bathroom, would be put in there. There is a REASON why what was said was said and what was omitted was omitted. Jesus said; "I have a lot more to tell you that you cannot now bear." The bible was written with the aid of the Holy Spirit which is from God. God determines what is said and what isn't. Or don't you believe in God, but only the words of men?
Nickolai

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2004, 11:02:13 PM »

What is in the bible is EXACTLY what we are meant to hear. Otherwise, every thought that Jesus ever thought, or the apostles ever thought, every act, including going to the bathroom, would be put in there. There is a REASON why what was said was said and what was omitted was omitted. Jesus said; "I have a lot more to tell you that you cannot now bear." The bible was written with the aid of the Holy Spirit which is from God. God determines what is said and what isn't. Or don't you believe in God, but only the words of men?

The Bible was not created to be the pillar of all truth.  That's what the Church was created for.  It happened that the Church chose to create the Bible.  Not to be the answer for all truth. But rather to be a compilation of Apostolic Books which were Good for the Teaching of the People by the Church.  But that does not mean that it's the definitive teaching for the life of the Church, it was not created to be that.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 02:52:03 AM »

And where did God say the Bible will be the only way He will speak to us.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2004, 07:51:28 AM »

It happened that the Church chose to create the Bible.

2Ti 3:16  All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Not to be the answer for all truth. But that does not mean that it's the definitive teaching for the life of the Church, it was not created to be that.

Act 17:11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Why does your words not align with the Word Nickolai ?

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Aussie Mum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2004, 08:18:16 AM »

Hi,

I just have one question for those who think that baptism is not salvific.  Why does Jesus ask us to be baptized?

Cheers
Therese

How can you say there are too many children, that is like saying there are too many flowers.  Mother Teresa
AVBunyan
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2004, 09:21:36 AM »

Hi,

I just have one question for those who think that baptism is not salvific.  Why does Jesus ask us to be baptized?

Cheers
Therese

Real simple read the below verse:

John 1:31  And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

Here is the only purpose for water baptism in the whole Bible.  The Jew was told to believe that Jesus was the Messiah - if they believed that then to prove that they were to get baptized.

The issue in the gospels was, "Do you believe Jesus is your Messiah?".  If you did not believe Jesus was the Messiah then you would die in your sins:

John 8:24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

The issue today is not, "Is Jesus your Messiah but did Jesus die for YOUR sins."  

In Acts 2 the issue again was preached by Peter, "Jesus was your messiah and your murdered him - what are you going to do about it?"  He told them to repent (Of their rejection and murder of Jesus) get baptized (John 1:31) and they would get the Holy Ghost.

There it is - be careful not to take something meant for another people in another age dealing with a kingdom age message directed to Jews and apply it to me or others in this age of grace - thank you.

Have a nice day now

May God bless  Smiley
Aussie Mum

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2004, 11:16:37 PM »

Hi AV,

Why does one need to prove to others that they have given their heart to Jesus?  No one else is responsible for their salvation.  Jesus would know our hearts and I don't think this ritual would prove anything to him. Also the eunuch had no witnesses and none of the people in the new testament are told to wait and show everyone that they have given their hearts to Jesus.  In fact some people are baptized in the middle of the night.

cheers
Therese

How can you say there are too many children, that is like saying there are too many flowers.  Mother Teresa
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the