Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Unfriendliest Club in Town?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Unfriendliest Club in Town?  (Read 2491 times)
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2004, 08:28:34 AM »

Silencing the Lambs

The Indefensible Things We Do to One Another

The Unfriendliest Club in Town?

Author Flannery O’Connor once noted that "sometimes you have to suffer as much from the church as you do for it.

"The church should be in the business of addressing spiritual illness. When you are deathly ill, you don’t start thinking of going to the health club: "Well, this will be a good time to get in shape. I feel horrible, and I think I’m going to die." Yet many churches have somehow communicated that only the spiritually healthy are truly welcome at church. Many people think their lives are too far gone to be accepted at church, when in fact that brokenness just about makes them ready to receive God’s amazing grace."

This is one of the most thought provoking statements i`ve read in awhile:
One of his most compelling illustrations comes from an alcoholic friend who attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. His friend says, "When I’m late to church, people turn around and stare at me with frowns of disapproval. I get the clear message that I’m not as responsible as they are. When I’m late to AA, the meeting comes to a halt, and everyone jumps up to hug and welcome me. They realize that my lateness may be a sign that I almost didn’t make it."

WOW! I want to weep for the message that last sentence conveys! As I wept as the preacher preached yesterday morn, moving thru the audience, grasping hands, telling individuals "God believes in YOU!"  He grasped the hands of one man, who has been the recipient of much scorn and ridicule because of something he had done and repeated "God believes in YOU"  Think about it! God believes in each one of us, that person who we think will never amount to anything, the unsteady, the unsure, the stumbling, the least of these, of whom I am one, only God can see what He can make of all these, and oh to see others thru His eyes!  Cry

Christians, like physicians, should vow to do no harm. But forgive us, Lord.

Because we do.

Read Silencing the Lambs:

http://www.daveburchett.com/wbcchapter1.htm

Mat 18:6  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 08:43:23 AM by Shylynne » Logged

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:55:16 PM »

This is one of the most thought provoking statements i`ve read in awhile:
One of his most compelling illustrations comes from an alcoholic friend who attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. His friend says, "When I’m late to church, people turn around and stare at me with frowns of disapproval. I get the clear message that I’m not as responsible as they are. When I’m late to AA, the meeting comes to a halt, and everyone jumps up to hug and welcome me. They realize that my lateness may be a sign that I almost didn’t make it."

i like that, thanks
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »

Cry  Yep, church is pretty unfriendly.  I haven't gone to mine because I've found out that I'm not supposed to spend my time with alcoholics.  And I'm afriad since I do they'll disapprove.  

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 11:08:41 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Shylynne,

THANKS SISTER!

That was an excellent site and story that hit just at the right time. I had just been thinking about and praying about Christian love again.

I'm convinced that every Christian should think about and pray about Christian love every day.

There is love in Jesus,
Tom

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:40:27 AM »

Christians should vow to do no harm

yes, now there's a good reminder.  Medicine's Hypocratic Oath, "First, do no harm..."

We could stand to learn from that one.

Once persecution starts in full swing, though, I don't think we'll be having any problem with that one...

Lord willing--in Jesus' Name...

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 07:27:07 PM »

Once persecution starts in full swing, though, I don't think we'll be having any problem with that one...

I don`t follow  Huh

Is there a Hypocratic Oath for CU that says "vow to make statements Shylynne won`t understand" lol  

If you can't be a good example, then
you'll just have to be a horrible warning.  Cheesy

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 10:50:04 PM »

I don`t follow  Huh

Is there a Hypocratic Oath for CU that says "vow to make statements Shylynne won`t understand" lol  

If you can't be a good example, then
you'll just have to be a horrible warning.  Cheesy

I think he meant it exactly as it sounded.

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 08:17:11 AM »

And I meant to hear it exactly as he meant it to sound  

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »

Thanks you guys.  I'm thinking persecution tends to filter out all the insincere("in-sin-...").

What's left are the pure in heart--who won't have any problem with hypocrisy.

A sort of take-off on I Peter 4:1:   "...he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin."

So, we "arm ourselves with the same mind..."

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:39:10 AM »

Oooo....

now I get what you were trying to get at and now I can agree   Cheesy

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 04:46:06 PM »

Grin Hm, I thought that oath applied to me! And it was you all along?

I agree with you, Symphony.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 07:28:37 PM »

Yes Willow it was me all along *sighs*  Wink

Things I Do Not Know

There are things I do not know, like the horrible day (or week, or life) that the cashier who waited on me today was having. This is why she does not smile.

There are things I do not know, like the fact that the man standing in the street asking for money really is homeless. This is why he stands humbly in the cold.

There are things I do not know, like the man I encountered today has just lost his job and will eventually lose his home. This is why his temper was short.

There are things I do not know, like the deep pain felt by a mother who has lost her only child. This is why she watches in bitterness as the other children play.

There are so many things I do not know, yet so often I assume that I know everything about others based on a momentary encounter. I cannot simply look at someone and pretend to know his heart. I am warned not to judge him. I am asked to be his salt.

So this I do know…God is the loving kind and this is what He asks of me. Instead of casting others off when I am offended, I will look beyond the moment and see a person’s life. A particular encounter may not have come to me by accident; I may have been commissioned for that very place in time to remember the things I do not know and therefore share the grace that I so undeservedly do.

-Stephanie R. O'Neal

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 07:32:56 PM »

You Can't Hold Me Anymore

One by one, women were snatched from the streets. These daughters, mothers, wives and siblings were victims of Gary Ridgway, also known as the Green River Killer. For twenty years he roamed the Seattle area, committing murder at will. Now convicted of killing 48 women and sentenced to life in prison, he was a captive audience to the anguished words of the victim's families.

Haunted words spilled forth from now grown siblings and aged parents. Gary had stolen their loved ones and the verbal assaults were meant to pierce his heart and scorch his mind. He sat defiantly, as if rebuffing their enraged words with a rigid poise and narrowed eyes.

His demeanor changed however, when approached by an elderly gentleman. With a soft voice he said, "Sir, many people in this room hate you. I don't hate you. I forgive you." While he spoke, the killer's face softened and his lips immediately began to tremble with emotion.

A lady also stepped forward during the trial. With a straightforward approach she said, "Gary Ridgway, you can't hold me anymore. I forgive you." Once again his façade fell as his hands flew to his face and tears spilled from his eyes.

Forgiveness cracks the stiffest upper lift and shatters emotional strongholds. No other earthly gesture can compare for the ability to forgive is supernatural. Forgiveness is cultivated from a broken, humble heart. Rooting within our painful crevasses, forgiveness soothes raw wounds, reminding us that we are recipients of God's unconditional mercy and must extend the same compassion to others. (For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous to bring you to God. I Peter 3:18)

Jesus not only washes our hearts with His cleansing mercy but enables us to grant clemency to our offender. It is a tangible yet mystical emotion that propels us to ride the waves of victorious living, not wash under them.

Of all the family members who spoke to Gary Ridgway, only two could extend the hand of forgiveness. Mercy conquered bitterness.

"Gary Ridgway, you can't hold me anymore. I forgive you."

-Charlene Friesen

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »

Beautiful posts, Shylynne! I truly know so very little, but if I know how to forgive...

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 10:27:42 AM »

That was a great post indeed & gave me a lot to think about in my own walk with Christ & other Christians. My experience of going to unfriendly churches has kept me from a closer walk with God in may ways.
When I lived in NY, I was going to a Calvary Chapel. I went every Sun, Sun Night & Wed Night. I'd get there early to in hopes chat, meet new people. Ya know, out of the times I went, I'd say close to 40 times, I had 2 people in that WHOLE time come up to me and Say hello or shake my hand. I was SO discouraged after that & started doubting myself & the Lord and I began hating church. I went to another nondenominational chiurch that had a congregation of under 1,000 and not 1 person said Hello or anything not even the pastor, to me I just felt really bummed and the whole service to me was uncomfortable.
I think even as Christians we have gotten too worldy, too "clicky" and don't extend our hand as we ought to. I know sometimes I am guilty of this. We need to show our Love to one another MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more then we do now!!

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the