Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Dispensational Bible Study *feedback thread*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dispensational Bible Study *feedback thread*  (Read 6349 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2004, 09:04:50 AM »

Great thread Tom.  My grandfather did some work on this too.  I only wish I had his notes now to go over them.  Its always interesting to peer into the study of our ancestors and see how their spiritual eyes and minds worked through the word of God.

Thanks for sharing these with us!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 02:51:40 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

Thanks Brother, you are most welcome. I can almost hear my dad preaching, and I'm almost sure that I've heard some of these very lessons from the pulpit. I have tons of his writing, including some small books, but I haven't been able emotionally to go through his things until now.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 05:13:09 PM »

Brother Tom,

From what I've been able to read and follow along with in the scriptures so far, this is very good!  It amazes me sometimes, how we think we've got the corner on the market theologically speaking, because we are modern, high tech, and far more blessed with tools than the believers before us.  In truth, they knew it as well.  And how?  Because the same Spirit teaches us that taught them.

God is good.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 05:09:17 AM »

Brother Tom,

From what I've been able to read and follow along with in the scriptures so far, this is very good!  It amazes me sometimes, how we think we've got the corner on the market theologically speaking, because we are modern, high tech, and far more blessed with tools than the believers before us.  In truth, they knew it as well.  And how?  Because the same Spirit teaches us that taught them.

God is good.   Smiley

Good point Allinall.  Sometimes pondering the simplest of technology as a modern day Christian (such as e-sword; doing key word searches etc) makes one wonder if we arent a bit spoiled at times.  Like you say, the early saints knew this stuff too, and may have even depended more on leading of the spirit and long hours in the word (paper form).   Regardless of the media used, its still important to listen to what the still small voice is telling us.   God is the same yesterday today and forever, and he still speaks to the hearts of men today that are willing to listen.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 05:14:08 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Brother, I can remember some of the ways my dad and grand dad prepared for sermons. You're going to laugh at this, but it is the truth. My grand dad had a room full of books that were passed down to him from an elderly, retired pastor, and those same books were passed down to my dad. They now belong to my brothers and I, but we've left them in the church study for the new pastor (also a relative). They would probably fill a floor to ceiling bookcase 15 feet long, and they are all priceless. I remember watching my dad study 40 to 60 hours a week and make notes either by hand or with an 1800s vintage Remington manual typewriter (that still works today).

Get this - both had access to mini-printing presses and did their own type setting to prepare handouts, fliers, studies, etc. We've got it so easy that we don't have a clue. We can use a computer and do in 10 minutes what it took them a day or more to do. My dad thought he was in tall cotton when he got a drum-type mimeograph machine. He made the original in that 1800s typewriter and ink flowed through the type marks when it was placed on the drum and rolled by hand. By the way, the old mimeograph machine still works also. They used to make things to last.

WOW!!! - We have it hard!

Thanks for the compliments on my dad's  studies. I'm still trying to figure out how many of them I will actually be able to read without a magnifying glass. I'm having fun giving it a try just to be able to do the study.

Thanks brother.

Love In Christ,
Tom  

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 04:52:41 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

YES!!!!, we are spoiled brother. I love to use e-Sword and have an entire library at my fingertips. I'm spoiled completely. Much of my grand-dad's early study for the ministry was done without electricity, much less a computer. I think that Almighty God must have given them strength and determination back then that we couldn't imagine.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 06:39:14 PM »

I too am a spoiled preachers brat. But  please dont tell anyone ok?<P>

I have one treasure that stands out in my collection of goodies! I have Dads 1967 Scofield Bible. No darts guys ok? In it are dads notes, one can follow the different colors of ink etc and see the changing. The change from dispy to not dispy Wink I don’t know how else to explain it. Mom gave it to him for Christmas 1969 i got it about 72 some pages are missing most of the scotch tape has yellowed, a few pages are loose crumpled and if i attempt to smooth them out they fall apart...  When i scan this ol thing the tears wont hold back i hear Dad and see my rebellion.  Cry

Although some of the interpretations may be different we are so very blessed to have these wonderful treasures. Notes, sermons, marked up old Bibles. Thank You Lord form my so rich heritage 3 generations of pastors…

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 02:12:41 AM »

Hello Sister Reba,

Scoffield was the same brand of Bible that my dad used for his entire ministry. We have 3 of them that are full of notes. I don't even know if Scoffield still makes the Bible dad liked. It was fairly large and had blank pages for notes all through it.

I've been reading quite a bit about the word "Dispensational" lately. I've come to the conclusion that no two people appear to have the same definition for that word. In fact, that word appears to be used in some fairly wild and new doctrines that I've never heard of.

2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 is what I was taught about the word "Dispensational". It appears there are many with some pretty wild doctrines now that use that word. As a matter of fact, there is so much confusion added in by men that many words used 30-50 years ago have no definition anymore.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 05:50:06 AM »

Hello Sister Reba,

Scoffield was the same brand of Bible that my dad used for his entire ministry. We have 3 of them that are full of notes. I don't even know if Scoffield still makes the Bible dad liked. It was fairly large and had blank pages for notes all through it.

I've been reading quite a bit about the word "Dispensational" lately. I've come to the conclusion that no two people appear to have the same definition for that word. In fact, that word appears to be used in some fairly wild and new doctrines that I've never heard of.

2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 is what I was taught about the word "Dispensational". It appears there are many with some pretty wild doctrines now that use that word. As a matter of fact, there is so much confusion added in by men that many words used 30-50 years ago have no definition anymore.

Love In Christ,
Tom

You sure got that right Black

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 11:28:13 AM »

Good point Allinall.  Sometimes pondering the simplest of technology as a modern day Christian (such as e-sword; doing key word searches etc) makes one wonder if we arent a bit spoiled at times.  Like you say, the early saints knew this stuff too, and may have even depended more on leading of the spirit and long hours in the word (paper form).  Regardless of the media used, its still important to listen to what the still small voice is telling us.  God is the same yesterday today and forever, and he still speaks to the hearts of men today that are willing to listen.

Grace and Peace!

That's truth bro.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 11:31:48 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Brother, I can remember some of the ways my dad and grand dad prepared for sermons. You're going to laugh at this, but it is the truth. My grand dad had a room full of books that were passed down to him from an elderly, retired pastor, and those same books were passed down to my dad. They now belong to my brothers and I, but we've left them in the church study for the new pastor (also a relative). They would probably fill a floor to ceiling bookcase 15 feet long, and they are all priceless. I remember watching my dad study 40 to 60 hours a week and make notes either by hand or with an 1800s vintage Remington manual typewriter (that still works today).

Get this - both had access to mini-printing presses and did their own type setting to prepare handouts, fliers, studies, etc. We've got it so easy that we don't have a clue. We can use a computer and do in 10 minutes what it took them a day or more to do. My dad thought he was in tall cotton when he got a drum-type mimeograph machine. He made the original in that 1800s typewriter and ink flowed through the type marks when it was placed on the drum and rolled by hand. By the way, the old mimeograph machine still works also. They used to make things to last.

WOW!!! - We have it hard!

Thanks for the compliments on my dad's  studies. I'm still trying to figure out how many of them I will actually be able to read without a magnifying glass. I'm having fun giving it a try just to be able to do the study.

Thanks brother.

Love In Christ,
Tom  

Yeah!  Who says newer is better?  I remember my former assistant pastor, who didn't use a computer, showing me his files of study.  He gave me some of his old books, still marked with the Dewy (sp?) system.  He had messages/studies filed for books of the bible, as well as topics.  Far more organized than I'll ever be.

And your welcome.  I've enjoyed reading the notes.   Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the