Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, X-Men, Power Rangers, etc.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, X-Men, Power Rangers, etc.  (Read 8021 times)
Leaf

I love leaves!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2004, 03:14:50 PM »

Hello everyone!  Does anyone know where I can find true reviews on the different cartoons that are on television?  My 7 year old son wants toys and videos like his friends have, but I am not sure what to allow him and what not to without knowing what they stand for or what they are about.  I would like to give him the reasons why I do not allow certain toys of certain characters without just saying "because I am the mom and I said so."  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated also!

Pray for wisdom.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 11:00:55 PM »

You're talking to the Cartoon network junkie hear (and I can prove it, too, just check my spelling and grammer)

Yu-Gi-Oh- Good show. Interesting plot lines, all though it get repeatative after a while. And, it teaches kids lame things like "the power of friendship"

Pokemon- Personally, not a big fan, but I can see hwere kids like it. It has the cartoony fun, with a sports setting, and it teaches kids the same lame things like "the power of friendship."

X-Men- I assume you mean the new X-Men Evolution, right? It is an ok show. Kind of like X-men meets a WB teen drama kind of thing. But instead of the kids dealing with issues like teen sex and drug aduse, as those dramas likes to do, it deals with mutant powers and obeying your elders and stuff.  Personally, I'd let my kids watch it LONG before I let them tune into Dawson's Creek or 90210 or One Tree Hill, or any of the other countless teen dramas.

Power Rangers- I was duped into watching an episode of that last night. It is the same as it was when I was in first grade (back when they had the first 5, man am I getting old). I remimber playing the Red ranger on the playground. The concrete play ground, with sharp metal all around... Anyways, the fights scences arn't Jet Li qualities. In fact, they arn't even as good as the first 5 guys! And they still have the disrespectful attitued, but without there mini-PSA about self esteem or friendship after the show. If anything, the one single Girl ranger in her body suit when she goes surfing (yes, surfing) might not be the kind of thing you wnat your kid to see right now. I mean, she is super-fine and all, but still...

In short, they are good shows, I dont see a problem with them that will warp your kids mind and turn them into Pinko's or gang members or... Charismatics! Grin

Well, now I'm going to go into my room and hang my head in shame, over the fact I, and 19 year old, watch 2 of the 4 shows you listed... Grin Thanks for deflating my ego. Grin COme again Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
HylianHero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »

Me I'm 16, so I can help you out with this stuff.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: I've always liked the show, its interesting even to me. They use good animation and stuff, good monsters. Characters are friendly, good show altogether.

Pokemon: Meh, I used to like it. I believe I have grown out of it. I used to collect the cards and played the game. It's relatievly good, but he'll probably grow out of it sooner or later.

X-Men: The old X-Men was awesome, I'm not a big fan of the new shows. I'm an old school type of guy. Haven't watched it much, but I suppose its alright.

Power Rangers: I watched this like 2 hours a day when I was 5-10. It was the best show I'd ever seen. I had the toys, the videos, everything. Good show!

Yup, yup!
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 06:22:02 PM »

Me I'm 16, so I can help you out with this stuff.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: I've always liked the show, its interesting even to me. They use good animation and stuff, good monsters. Characters are friendly, good show altogether.

Pokemon: Meh, I used to like it. I believe I have grown out of it. I used to collect the cards and played the game. It's relatievly good, but he'll probably grow out of it sooner or later.

X-Men: The old X-Men was awesome, I'm not a big fan of the new shows. I'm an old school type of guy. Haven't watched it much, but I suppose its alright.

Power Rangers: I watched this like 2 hours a day when I was 5-10. It was the best show I'd ever seen. I had the toys, the videos, everything. Good show!

Yup, yup!
"good monsters"?  Hmmmmm.

Support your local Christian.
LMarsh

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 08:41:45 AM »

I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old boy.
They both liked Pokemon and grew up with it around...(older cousins).  It was ok but has gotten progressively "fresh"....as in the characters on it aren't very nice to each other....seem to yell alot at each other and bicker.  I let my kids watch it occasionally because relatively speaking besides the slightly fresh mouths it is mild and I'm usually around to say something like "That wasn't very nice to say"...etc.

I dislike Yu-Gi-Oh...the monsters are evil looking and scary.  My kids do watch it occasionally (once every 2 wks or so).  They do have Yu-Gi-Oh cards...mainly since the show came out several years ago...it was much milder.  Not so scary ...there was a plot...not just evil monster duels.  My husband doesn't see anything wrong with it thats why it's still allowed occasionally.

XMen....Don't really know, I think they've watched once or twice with my husband.  I've watched Power Rangers with them a few times.  Ok for older kids but I think the makeup on the bad guys could scare some younger kids.

I'm thankful my kids have great neighborhood kids to play with so they don't watch alot of TV.  They do play games like Pokemon where they pretend to be characters and roleplay and run around.

Like anything else in this life.....moderation even of the things you think are ok.

God Bless,
LMarsh
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 11:02:59 PM »

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, X-Men, Power Rangers? The only one I have heard of is the X-Men. I have comic books dating back to the early 70's. If the new stoy lines fall along the old ones, (in the comic books) it should be okay.

SinkSF

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »

all of those shows are blasphemous.

Yu-gi-oh shows people working with monsters, which are obviously the tools of satan, and trying to present these people as "good". good people have nothing to do with satan or satanic being.

the same can be said of pokemon.
besides, both of those shows are made by the japanese who are a godless people.

x-men is subliminally trying to make people accept inferior racial groups as well as homosexuals. this attempted subversion of otherwise good children is even worse than the others.

as for power rangers, it encourages violence among children by making them want to imitate the show itself.
No Gray Areas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 12:12:54 AM »

Don't allow your child to watch these shows.
Pokemon is a occult based show when you look into it further, Yu-gi=oh I don't know about but I do know I don't like the little I have seen .
For more info
http://members.tripod.com/-extreme_faith/pokemn.html
or
www.pokemon.com
or
www.execpc.com/logos/magis-g.html

Hope these are of help

Suz

No Gray Areas
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 04:43:28 PM »

Oh, yeah. Cartoon kids running around catching monsters in red and white balls is evil. I forgot. The occult is SO behind it.

Yeah. Believe it.

Roll Eyes

Yu-gi-oh shows people working with monsters, which are obviously the tools of satan

I realize this was posted a long time ago, but could you please enlighten me as to how this is so "obvious?"

besides, both of those shows are made by the japanese who are a godless people.

At first, I couldn't believe I read this. Then, I read it again and realized I had. This is such a blatantly ignorant generalization that all I can say about it is that it's a prime example of how judgemental some people are. Get over yourself, you self-righteous upstart, and actually make a sensible, intelligent post about the topic at hand.

x-men is subliminally trying to make people accept inferior racial groups as well as homosexuals.

"Inferior racial groups?" Is there anyone out there who doesn't think this sounds racist? Oh, right. Hitler. And the KKK.

it encourages violence among children by making them want to imitate the show itself.

Prove it. By this argument, I could say that any show that even depicts violence also encourages it, which is vey difficult to prove, if not impossible. Also, while we're on the topic of violence in culture, why not condemn the Bible? Think about the amount of violence in it, especially the Old Testament. But that, that's uplifting, edifying violence, I suppose. Roll Eyes

For more info
http://members.tripod.com/-extreme_faith/pokemn.html
or
www.pokemon.com
or
www.execpc.com/logos/magis-g.html

At least make sure the links you provide lead to somewhere relevant; www.pokemon.com is advertising Pokemon, so of course it's NOT going to show the "deeper meanings" you claim it hides, and the other two have nothing whatsoever to do with either Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Lighten up, and imagine a little.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the