Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Dealing with non-believers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dealing with non-believers  (Read 4466 times)
tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:12:57 PM »

It is no secrete that we Christians/church goers are living in a world of non-believers… many questions surface because of this very fact.  These may include… how do I witness to others… what missions should I work in… and so on… Likewise, it is on a daily basis that we have interactions with non-believers.  No doubt, I am not alone in wondering how to react to their lifestyle… which often includes some type of “twisting” of the truth…  Stumbling across the following story I could not help but believe this was the best approach considering the circumstances…

Two college students had almost completed the semester of Basic Christianity and were going into the last week of class, each with an “A” average.  Feeling confident they could pass the final examination, they decided to take off on the Friday before the Monday exam and head to a neighboring school for a party with some friends.  They stayed over too late on Saturday night and were unable to travel on Sunday.  They didn’t head back to their own school until Monday morning.  Even though they made it back in time for the exam, they decided it would be foolish to go into an exam without studying, so they skipped the exam.  Later, they went to the professor to plead for a make-up exam.  They lied and told the professor that they had a flat tire on the way back and therefore missed the exam.  The professor agreed to a make-up and had each one go into a different room with a test booklet and the test.  The first page of the test was a fairly simple question which was worth 5 points.  Both of the students answered it perfectly, and were sure the test would be easy.  As they turned the second page they read “Question 2 (95 Points): Which Tire?”.

How do you deal with non-believers/co-workers/friends/ etc. when you know that they are not being forthcoming in their statements/actions?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 05:52:20 PM »

How do you deal with non-believers/co-workers/friends/ etc. when you know that they are not being forthcoming in their statements/actions?

Oklahoma Howdy to Tony,

The method used by the instructor was pretty creative and probably worked. I'm old-fashioned, too blunt too often, and I had 25 years in police work to make that condition worse.   Cheesy

I would tell them they are liars. I have mixed emotions about what many people do today, and I also struggle with what the LORD would instruct me to do. This is a matter of regular prayer for me. There are obviously multiple sides of this slippery coin. We live in a time where many people have not been taught or told what is right and wrong. It appears to be more important to be politically correct than tell the truth.

This is an important issue for Christians. Does the truth hurt, or does the lack of truth hurt? I subscribe to the principle that the lack of truth hurts. The method of how and when to speak up is a matter of prayer, asking God for guidance and wisdom to do HIS will.

Love In Christ,
Tom

tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:06:13 AM »

Thanks for the input Tom.  Dully noted in every respect, I can relate to each of the points you made (with the only exception being the 25 years as a police officer…To fully relate to this I would have to of been doing the street patrols in my diapers… ha…lol.. Grin ).

Tony
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 10:24:15 AM »

Thanks for the input Tom.  Dully noted in every respect, I can relate to each of the points you made (with the only exception being the 25 years as a police officer…To fully relate to this I would have to of been doing the street patrols in my diapers… ha…lol.. Grin ).

Tony

Oklahoma Howdy to Tony,

Grin  We were short on manpower and could have used you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 12:19:17 PM »

Grin
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:56:30 PM »

Tony;
If you are unsure as to what to say to a nonbeliever – let your actions speak first; let everything you do be done in love & understanding.  Eventually (done right) the nonbeliever will begin to ask how you “how can you be such an ‘even’ and ‘fair’ and ‘kind’ and ‘friendly’ and ‘non-judging’ person?  You never gossip, everyone wants your advice, you're seldom grumpy…What IS your secret??”

Then you let in UNLOAD brother!  Grin

We all have different gifts – not all of us have the gift of “speak”.  We must let our actions speak first.  Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Bawilli

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 12:45:37 AM »

Just wanted to say that your post really touched me and makes so much sense!  Thank you.  You are appreciated!
  Bawilli
davoarid

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 10:00:46 PM »

The first page of the test was a fairly simple question which was worth 5 points.  Both of the students answered it perfectly, and were sure the test would be easy.  As they turned the second page they read “Question 2 (95 Points): Which Tire?”.

What if they got it right?  That wouldn't be very fair to the other students.

There is a 25% chance they'll get it right... plus, we also have to factor in the possibility that they may have talked about their story before-hand and picked which tire "went flat". The teacher's methods seem rather flawed.

Here is the truth of each man's life: we must wait, and see his end, scrutinize his dying day, and refuse to call him happy till he has crossed the border of his life without pain.
tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 10:52:35 AM »

The first page of the test was a fairly simple question which was worth 5 points.  Both of the students answered it perfectly, and were sure the test would be easy.  As they turned the second page they read “Question 2 (95 Points): Which Tire?”.

What if they got it right?  That wouldn't be very fair to the other students.

There is a 25% chance they'll get it right... plus, we also have to factor in the possibility that they may have talked about their story before-hand and picked which tire "went flat". The teacher's methods seem rather flawed.

Thanks for your thoughts.  To some extent, I believe you have a valid point.  The prof.  was rather generous in even allowing them to take the test at a diff. time.  Indeed, this, in and of itself is somewhat unfair to the other students.  I have taken several multiple choice tests.  Some fellow students didn't study, and thought it would be a breaze.  They were often suprised about recieving a low grade.  The story implies that they had not discussed the specifices of which tire.  Rather, that the excuse to be given was just a flat tire.  So, I believe the chances of them both picking the same time, when answering the test, would prob. be between nill to none.

Thanks again for your input.

Your Brother in Christ,

Tony
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 05:21:09 PM »

I have found the best way is what I constantly preach to my
church. Preach the word every day, and if you have to ...
use words.

Grin respectfully yours in Yeshua:

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 08:13:51 PM »

I have found the best way is what I constantly preach to my
church. Preach the word every day, and if you have to ...
use words.

Grin respectfully yours in Yeshua:

ravenloche

Oklahoma Howdy to Ravenloche,

Brother, the profoundity of your statement is overwhelming.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

alien

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 11:55:11 AM »

who said that originally, anyway? (nothing to do with a debate...I just can't remember)

we're takin' over the world/we're an alien youth ~Skillet
digme
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 07:27:58 AM »

if you can't feel where people are hurting, you will never be able to relate to them or preach to them the gospel. Read the story in John 4, and how my Lord moves in with the utmost skill through his dialogue. He was brilliant in that dialogue.  I heard this exegisis from a preacher on how Jesus was the Master at that, that story was UNBELIEVABLE. IT Proved to me that my LORD Always found that soft spot where people were hurting and moved connected first through there!  
For example in this story, i could have asked the guys what grades meant to them first!

"THE PROBLEM IS NEVER THE PROBLEM"
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 03:25:11 PM »

who said that originally, anyway? (nothing to do with a debate...I just can't remember)

you are correct, it is a borrowed statement!

originally---Evangelist Charles Finney

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
alliecat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 11:21:01 PM »

I have lots of friends who are non-believers and they make fun of me for my passion. I could easily dump them for this but instead I will stick it out being their friends should one of them decide to explore christianity. Don't kick a man while he's down and weak. Instead pick him up and help him through his weaknesses! Moral of the story, have patience with the non-believers and pray for them.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the