Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?  (Read 2076 times)
Bawilli

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:17:51 PM »

In Matthew 12:31 Jesus says all sins and blasphemy can be forgiven accept for Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  
  Im not sure I know what blasphemy mean?  Could some one please explain this to me!
  Thank you so much.  You are appreciated!
  -Bawilli
WillGreek

1Jn5:20

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:23:15 PM »

Dear Bawilli,

(blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Mt 12:31 The blasphemous behavior by men of the Holy Spirit shall be not forgiven.
Spirit [pneu-ma, is the "result of action" by the Holy Spirit. Baptis-ma is the result of action by the Holy Spirit. Those who say, "water baptis-ma" are doing "blasphemous behavior."

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

1Tim 6:4
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof comes envy, strife, blasphemous behavior, evil surmisings,

Eph 4:31
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and blasphemous behavior, be put away from you, with all malice:

Jn 10:33
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemous behavior; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Mk 7:22
Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemous behavior, pride, foolishness:

Mk 3:28
Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

Mt 15:19
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mt 12:32
And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

Fully Greek
Kosh

The Vorlon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 09:27:46 PM »

Hi everybody,

Well, Bawilli, here's how i always interpreted this scripture. Look at the context:

Matt. 12--

"22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and[5] mute man both spoke and saw. 23And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of David?"
24Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub,[6] the ruler of the demons."
25But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.'"

Now as you can see, the Lord called the Pharisees sinful because they attributed the works of God the Holy Spirit to Beelzebub, or Satan. From the context it seems that blasphemy against the Spirit is calling the acts of the Spirit somehow sinful or demonic.

i think that to the religous leaders of the time it was fairly obvious that God was working through Him. Look at what Nicodemus says in John 3:2, the "we;" he was not the only Pharisee that knew Christ's origin. Thus to deny that the Spirit was working in Him, knowing well that He was indeed, attributing these works to Satan, leading astray their entrusted flocks...this was blasphemy against the Spirit.

Can someone today commit this sin? i'd say so. That's why i tend not to be too critical of any healings or miracles of good, as only a good tree can bear good fruit.

i hope this helps.

Who are you?
WillGreek

1Jn5:20

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 09:37:50 PM »

Can someone today commit this sin? i'd say so. That's why i tend not to be too critical of any healings or miracles of good, as only a good tree can bear good fruit.

i hope this helps.

Gosh, Kosh,

You mean to say the Holy Spirit is NOT working today?

You mean to say You are a good tree without the Holy Spirit?

Gosh...

Fully Greek
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »

It is doubtful that it can be committed today because His resurrection is proof positive of His deity and is a surety of our justification.

By denial of His Godly miracles, they were, in essence, denying that He was God and therefore NOT the Messiah.

The only sin that canot be forgiven is the one that rejects the one and only source of all forgiveness- the Nazarene Carpenter, Son of the living God, God Himself in the flesh whose blood was shed for our sins.

aw
The Crusader
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 03:40:10 AM »

NO SUCH SIN (Blasphemy) against the Holy Spirit, in this age of Grace. Ask Paul
Bawilli

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 08:05:21 AM »

Would you please tell me where paul speaks of this in the bible so that I may use this as a reference.  Thank you.  You are appreciated.
  -Bawilli
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 10:28:25 PM »

31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.'"

This AGE or the AGE to come.

Yes blasphemy against the Spirit is speaking evil of it. Also theres no interpretation other than the one Jesus gave when he was accused of doing his works by the power of a devil...God will not except it when anyone calls his power evil. They where constantly saying he had a demon. But if a man does this in ignorance its not the same thing, a man has to know that he is really calling the power of the spirit evil...so how do you judge? Well if a man shows all the fruits of the spirit, then he heals a sick man in the name of christ i wouldnt jump up and say he has done this by the power of a demon. Ye shall know them by their fruits.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:08:58 AM by AJ » Logged
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 11:06:24 PM »

Sorry... heres the meaning of the word blasphemy

In the sense of speaking evil of God.... or evil-speaking or to speak evil of or abuse
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 07:07:58 AM »

For those who will accept this, I make this known to you...

Blashemy is the sin for which everyone the perishes, burns in the lake of fire.

Note, these two verses, carefully;

Mat 12
31  Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

It is a spoken word that commits the unforgivrable sin, and it is spoken against the Holy Spirit, because the person speaking it, believes it in his heart to be the truth.

Jesus said, a few verses before the above verses;

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

So blasphemy is the words of unbelief spoken by a man who denies the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit which testifies concerning the person of Jesus and His diety.

Blasphemy, then is the sin for which all who deny the testimony of of Jesus will perish.

For those who have been saved, this is the sin, which has been dealt with, once and for all.

Can people blaspheme today, absolutely, they do every day all day long.

Blessings,

Petro

me

hello

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 11:14:59 AM »

Dear Bawili, my opinion is (God forgive me if i'm wrong).

The Holy Spirit enable us to :
a) Calling GOD abba father.
b) trust and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour.

The Holy Spirit also applicating  The Lord's salvation on our life.

If anybody blasphemy The Holy Spirit, then he/she also rejecting the salvation of Jesus Christ.
jenn

God is Love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 02:45:34 AM »

A true christian can not committ the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Its just hasn't happen.It's the total rejection of Jesus a delibrate hardening of the heart against God's word by rejecting Jesus and attributing God's power to the devil and not God's Spirit therefore, rejecting the helper your rejecting Christ by refusing to believe in Christ theres no forgiveness apart from Him.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 03:02:03 AM by jenn » Logged

If we claim to be without sin, we decieve ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness...
But  if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-Jesus Christ, the Righteous
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 10:24:42 AM »

It is always good and refreshing to read NEWBIES participating who have hold of the truths of God's Word. It is a true blessing and I thnak you.

aw
Learning_disciple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 09:22:02 AM »

Smiley Hi every one,

just wanted to pass this on, R.C. Sproul is speaking on his program today on the Sin without pardon   It's very good and if you have either realplayer or windows media player, just go to the website and listen. You will be blessed. http://tinyurl.com/3fe8m

Peace.

L_D

"Your not as bad as you think you are. Your a lot worse. Cheer up, God's grace is greater then you think it is" ~ Steve Brown
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the