Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  the Passion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Passion  (Read 30216 times)
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2004, 04:32:56 PM »

I think what is really sad is that this movie is causing a rift , a separation to the body of Christ. If this little post here is any inclination of what is just brewing... well, i guess we all have a lot of praying to do. Sad

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2004, 04:52:30 PM »

No, no, the rift is a good thing. Is it keeping us Catholics away from the Protestants, and keeping the Fundamentalists away from both groups. Without the rift we could end up being... one body united in and through Christ!!!!! Oh, the horror!!!!!!!

Roll Eyes Grin

Yes, lots of praying.

Don't worry, Swet hope, it is only a small number of Christians who take the Fandamentalist views. Most Christians have put the reformation behind us, and are ready to move on.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2004, 05:59:38 PM »

There is the thread about "What would you do with a million dollars":  So, is anyone contemplating (I'd ask if anyone is BETTING, but I'm a Baptist  Grin ) on what Mr. Gibson may (or may not do) with his 1/4 Billion dollar paycheck?

(Do you know how many churches could be built in Mexico with that many pesos??  WHOA!!)

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »

Maybe he will give it all to me Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2004, 07:22:45 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I see that it is time to move this thread into the debate area. I haven't seen The Passion, but I obviously see a lot of sensationalism in several directions.

I don't do much entertainment. I haven't been to a movie theater in years, and I wouldn't be able to tell you the name of the movie my wife and I went to see.

I watch some television every now and then. I like some of the Discovery Channels and a channel called TV Land. Let me give you an example of sensationalism that only older people will understand when compared with The Passion. I like to watch some of the much older television shows from time to time as they are available on TV Land (i.e. Andy Griffith, Mr. Ed, Car 54 Where Are You, etc.). All of them are completely clean with no bad language or anything else I know of that any Christian would object to.

Now, here's the example of sensationalism. Has any Christian ever investigated the entire cast of the Andy Griffith show? If not, why not? One could apply the same example to modern day clean programming that many Christians watch. Have you ever watched one of the Gaither specials. They don't come on very often, but I really enjoy them. They usually involve a large variety of Gospel groups with beautiful Christian music. They all get together on one stage and have many older people who also have beautiful testimonies for our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Have any of you done a complete background investigation of everyone on the stage before you will listen to their testimonies and music? If not, why not? On top of everything else, many of the people on that stage make their living singing Gospel music. If we all waited for someone COMPLETELY WORTHY to sing Gospel music, there would be no Gospel music. I, for one, will happily listen to the Gaither Specials whenever I have the opportunity.

Yes, this is sensationalism. After reading most of this thread, I really don't know what to say except "UMMM?Huh".

Love In Christ,
Tom

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »

Yes, some good points.

I shoulda thot a this, but just now, over at DrudgeReport:  "MEL GIBSON: 'HAVING DOUBTS' ABOUT BUSH"

That Gibson is coming out, in some interview, critical of the President.

'Nothing wrong with being critical of the President.  But, in the middle of this production, and sky rocketing success, definitely to my mind a taboo to venture into anything other than the present topic at hand.  It'll make you look too much like a megalomaniac.  Big, big mistake.

But it would be just too, too tempting.  When we rise to the top like cream, anyone else similarly up there, like a president, etc., becomes a tempting target.

Shoulda seen this one coming, but I didn't.  I was just assuming Gibson would be able to handle even this kind of success.

But it's just too much, humanly speaking.  Like the sports figures, and a few celebrities,unable to handle it.  

Venturing so soon, right during and beginning international distribution, he ought to be just marking his time and preferably, only on his/our knees, in quiet contempation.

But it would be too much.  After all last year's strife Mel went through, to get the film distributed, this completely unexpected success would just be too much, too soon, to handle.

Too much for the human heart and mind.   Big, big mistake.

The human heart, and tongue--who can tame it?

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2004, 09:32:10 PM »

Tibby,

No, I'm not a rapture ranger! And I don't adhere to the fables of Tim Lahaye.

To all others,

What this all boils down to, is truth vs half truth. When someone takes the Word of God which is pure and holy, and mixes it with fables,(The Dolorous Passion of Christ/ Anne Emmerich) and then is heavily promoted among Catholic and Evangelical circles as "The Truth", this is where the problem lies.

There is a real disconnect with Mel the film producer of some of the most violent movies ever made, and Mel the producer of  The Passion. I'm just wondering if Arnold Swarzenegger (sp?) comes out with a "Christian" film, will the theaters fill up?

It has been clearly established that Mel Gibson is not a born again Christian. He is an idol worshipping, Mary worshipping Catholic. If he does not repent and worship Christ alone, he will spend eternity in hell.

I'm still very concerned that most professing Christians have lost all memory of the Reformation,Luther's 95 theses nailed to the church at Wittenberg,and the millions of Christian's who have been murdered at the hands of the Catholic Church( Read the Foxes Book of Martyrs). Yes, there is forgiveness, but we must never forget the basis of the persecutions; Rome. And a leopard does not change its spots.

So why are millions of Evangelical Christians running to a "Marian" film?

I would plead with every Christian on this board to read the last three or four chapters of the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I would challenge each one to study God's Word.

These are perilous days, and Jesus stated time and time again....."DO NOT BE DECEIVED".

If we think we cannot be deceived; we already are.

Psalm 119
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2004, 11:10:17 PM »

Oh, it is nice to know you hold the power to know who is "a born again Christian." You have never even met the man, and you call him an idol worshipper. If we think we cannot be deceived; we already are, uh? Well, it is good to know you, the all knowing, all powerful, infallible elitist, are hear to help us out. Nice to know you will succeed where billions before you over the past 2000 years have failed, oh wise one. It is a good think you know better then every church leader in the country, or we would all be in big trouble. You are Gods gift to the church, thank you so much for clearing all this up.

Did I lay in on thick enough, everybody? Grin

Good points, BEP.

HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2004, 11:47:21 PM »

Tibby, all i can say is WOW. Lets try to keep comments focused on the topic, not at each other. Mud slinging won't do anyone any good. I have nothing else nice to say, so i wont.

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »

1. This is the debate board, which equals craziness! Grin Grin If I have to post in "the forum with no rules" I'm going to have a little fun.

2. I'm sick of people thinking they have a right to question my salvation (or anyone else’s) simply because I am Catholic. You know, if I went out and got drunk every night, and sleep with 10 girls a week, then you can question my salvation, but to question it for the simple reason that I’m catholic? Come on! If I where to say "Well, he is Baptist, so his salvation is question" people would be all over me. But people simply ignore, agree, or half agree if someone questions the salvation of a Catholic. I have asked the Admin to make rule concerning the questioning of the salvation of professing Christians. I haven’t seen any move yet. I am sick of being treated like a second-class Christian by my brothers in Christ. Telling me I worship idols and the like. I think I would know if I was worshiping Mary. I am a big boy, I can tell what idolatry is, and I know my heart. I don’t see how someone else can condemn me for what they THINK I believe. The audacity of it all!

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2004, 01:45:39 AM »

It has been clearly established that Mel Gibson is not a born again Christian. He is an idol worshipping, Mary worshipping Catholic.
If he worships idols or Mary, then he's not truly catholic.   I've not seen any evidence that he does either...

If he does not repent and worship Christ alone, he will spend eternity in hell.
... so this isn't an issue.

I'm still very concerned that most professing Christians have lost all memory of the Reformation,Luther's 95 theses nailed to the church at Wittenberg,
The same Luther who tried to remove James from the bible.

and the millions of Christian's who have been murdered at the hands of the Catholic Church( Read the Foxes Book of Martyrs).

And the millions of catholics put to death at the hands of the protestant churches.  Let alone the protestants put to death by other protestants.

Yes, there is forgiveness, but we must never forget the basis of the persecutions; Rome. And a leopard does not change its spots.
Both sides have got a lot to answer for.  It never was one-sided.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2004, 04:02:15 AM »

What? Please tell me you are not one of those "left-behind"
people.

What is a "Left-Behind People"?
Ah! I forgot. Since you won't be raptured, you have been prepared by your Leader (mr Pope) to laugh at those who believe they will be. Ridicule is one of Satan’s best weapons.

Read your Bible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2004, 07:53:53 AM »

The Lord God who brought out His people of Egypt, also destroyed the majority of them in the dessert.Their crime? Idolatry.( They really thought that they could worship God and idols too. Boy were they mistaken!)

You cannot worship the Lord God and images.

Guess what Mel Gibson's production company is called?

ICON Productions (an icon is an image)

Coincidence?

Psalm 119

ps What's with Mel carrying around a piece of cloth that supposedly belonged to Anne Emmerich?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2004, 08:24:18 AM »

What? Please tell me you are not one of those "left-behind"
people.

What is a "Left-Behind People"?
Ah! I forgot. Since you won't be raptured, you have been prepared by your Leader (mr Pope) to laugh at those who believe they will be. Ridicule is one of Satan’s best weapons.

What does reading the bible have to do with the rapture? Bible doesn't say a thing about the rapture. I'm not talking about the word it self, the idea of the Rapture is found nowhere in the bible. The 7-year trib Left-behind theory was invited by an off-the-wall Franciscan as part of the counter-reformation (in other words, invented by a Catholic), and recycled by Fundamentalists years later. Sorry, no Rapture. It is one of those doctrines you claim the RCC makes up. But, this isn’t the topic of the thread, is it, now?

The Lord God who brought out His people of Egypt, also destroyed the majority of them in the dessert.Their crime? Idolatry.( They really thought that they could worship God and idols too. Boy were they mistaken!)

Their crime? Disobedience.

You cannot worship the Lord God and images.

Yeah, good thing we Catholics don’t.

Guess what Mel Gibson's production company is called?

ICON Productions (an icon is an image)

Coincidence?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.

What's with Mel carrying around a piece of cloth that supposedly belonged to Anne Emmerich?

Yeah, that is strange. I mean, why would people carry the blessed relics of a holy, Godly person? Maybe he got the idea from acts?! To quote your buddy:

The Apostles sent out cloth for people. He got the idea from the bible, buddy.

P.S. Ebia is talking to you, not nice to leave someone waiting for a reply.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 01:32:14 PM by Tibby » Logged

Corpus
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2004, 11:28:38 AM »

Lighten up Francis...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the