Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Can you guys share your experience with me?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you guys share your experience with me?  (Read 3161 times)
stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2004, 06:13:18 PM »

Hi everyone.

Firstly I'd like to say hello to you all.

At the moment I'm quite troubled. For along time I have been searching for what it meant to believe in God, and what it meant to be a Christian. I recently bought a Bible and have started to read lots of things elsewhere also about Christianity. I also had a meeting yesterday with a devout Christian and afterwards we prayed.

Now I am a young man, But I'm not that young (23), and when I got upstairs after speaking with her about God and the Bible, I cried because my heart felt warm and good for talking about God, but I also felt shame for living in ignorance so long, as I have not yet been Christened or Baptised (it was my parents decision that I choose my own path)

So, anyway I know that I know nothing about God and the Bible, and I feel I can't defend myself against those who would call me a Bible-Basher, or others who say that the Bible has been manipulated by man over the years and that the path I have chosen is the wrong one. Is this doubt something I should expect to feel, as someone just starting on this path?

I'm so confused as to what to do, but even thogh I'm sure I am heading in the right direction, what can I do with my limited knowledge to repel the words of these people?

Thanks
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 07:53:43 PM »

stephen.auty

First of all welcome to this here forum.

First of all you sound as though you are overwhelmed, and this is undertsandable, since one would be when these kinds of thoughts come to ones head.

I was raise in the Roman Catholic church, from the time I could remember, and attended every program, performed all the sacraments, which were required of me, and considered myself a christian, but it wasn't until I began reading and studying the bible with people that cared for my spiritual wellbeing, that I began to undertsand the things I never had been taught while growing up in this religion, in fact, I was also ignorant about God, and the Bible.

So as you can see, growing up in a church who claims to be the way to God, can also leave one ignorant and deceived believing he is something, when in fact he is nothing.

It was through prayer, and time in study, that I realized, that I had been trusting in the wrong thing all my years, I was trusting in myself, and thought I knew the way, when I didn't.

I remember many nights going to bed, especially when i was in the jungles of vietnam, remembering my childhood upbringing by my mother who always taught us from the RC catechism, desiring that we would be good christians, knowing I wasn't right with God, and thinking that some day I would somehow, ask Him to forgive my sins, and keep me from sinning, which I did all the time.

Then one day, I married a Christian girl, who I fell in love with and I knew I shouldn't have married her, because the RC church forbids marriage to non RC's but I knew she was different than I was in her faith for God and the things of God.  She believed the Bible to be the Word of God, wherein the Rc never allowed nor encouraged roman catholics to read the bible for themselves, so because of my ways we had a stormy ten years in the begining of out marriage,  years after we were married, I went to work for our cities Police Department, form which I transferred to the Fire Department where I served 15 years.

And it was here that met, Christians who began talking to me, Looking back I have always thanked God, for them, though I am no longer working for the city, and it was here that this I came to this life changing experience.

My story ismuch to long to share with you, but suffice it to say, that it was through an experience while on duty, that I made a conscious decision to accept Gods Word as the truth of all things, after realizing that Jesus had really died for me, and if my children where to grow up knowing Him, then I had to know Him, and the is the verse that came to mind that night as i lay in bed, thinking about these things;

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Prov 22:6

My wife for many years had wanted our children to learn about God and the things of God, yet, I would never allow her or myself to go to any other church other than the RC church, and she never wanted to attend the RC church, but did occasionally, so our problem was caused by what I had been taught as a child in catechism classess in this institution (the RC) that any RC who set foot in a  protestant church was committing a mortal sin[/b against God.  And I still believed it thought I was a grown man.

The hardest part was making the decision to obey the commandment to repent, since God commands all men everywhere to repent see Acts 17:30.

And believe on Jesus. But all we have to do is have a desire, and God who knows the hearts of men, trakes care of the rest.

Deciding to do, this is probaly the most difficult, and God who is true to His promises, not willing the any should perish, gives grace to the humble., and will not refuse whosoever comes to him with a broken and contrite heart.

For me,. it was years later I found out my wife had been praying for me, many years, together with others I didn't even know.

It is not by chance that you are seeking God, if you are, it is because He is calling you, He has invited you to wedding feats and wants to know if you are coming.

Forget about other people and whatever they may say to you about religion, God, or Jesus, all that can be known of these things are found in the scriptures, and God will teach you all things through His Holy Spirit, once you place your trust in His Holy Word.

It is good, to recognize this, if you haven't, then be assured this is true, you need to pray to God, for your ignorance, which was brought about by your lack of interest in Him, or what He had to say about men, He will guide you through, as He brings you to conviction of the sin of unbelief.

His promises are made to whomsoever will come He is just and of great mercy which He shows to them that seek His face.

Since that day, I have rejoiced knowing my citizenship is in heaven and that He is preparing a place for me forever.

I share this great news with whomever will listen, even with scoffers, and unbelievers and blasphemers, the gospel is for all of these of which I was one, also,,,once ago..

But know I am a child of the King..

I will pray for you, but be assured God desires to hear from you, you need to pray for yourself, repent and He will forgive your sin of unbelief.

This is easy, just talk to him as you would your own father, in asking him to forgive you.

This is what I prayed that night;

God, I don't even know who you are, but if there is a God, show me, forgive my sins.

Assuredly I can testify, that he has saved me. I have no interest for anything but His precious Words found nowhere else but the Bible.

The Gospel of John in the New Testament is a beutiful book to begin learning of Jesus, who died for our sins.

I will pray for you,

God Bless, '
Petro

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 08:06:07 PM by Petro » Logged

stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 08:11:19 PM »

Thank you for your words.

It is 1 in the morning here, and I can't sleep for thinking about it. I have been reading about God to clear my mind, but it becomes apparent to to me now what I must do.

I think you summed it up for me. God seems new to me, but I realise I could have spoken to Him whenever I wanted. Just reading about the subject cannot ease my mind. I was waiting for a reply to this e-mail to maybe encourage me to do what I should have already done. I must speak to Him today, I will do so before I sleep. Thank you again, your words help a lot. I know it will be hard for me as I am not familiar with the Bible, but I will start with the Gospel of John as you mention. Thank You,

Stephen
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 09:22:37 PM »

Stephen,
I am truly excited for and about you!  Please, never be afraid to ask questions about anything (or anybody) on his sight.  If you feel a little embarrassed, just use the instant message to ask a private question.
No.1:  PRAY A LOT!!!  If you need to – go into a closet and shut the door for privacy – don’t limit your prayers to any specific time.  Just learn to talk to the Lord as a friend (the best friend you’ll ever have!).  Talk to Him when you get up, while you’re on your way to work, when you’re on break, when you’re angry, when you’re happy, when you’re sad.  Talk to Him about all of your problems and all of your successes.  Ask Him questions.  Praying doesn’t mean you must be on your knees with your head bowed (although I try to do that often as possible), you can communicate with our Lord any time, anywhere.
Again – Welcome!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 09:03:17 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words and welcoming me as part of your community. I feel much more at ease this morning, having spoken to Him before I went to sleep last night and this morning when I woke up. Your messages have helped me a lot also to talk to Him more comfortably. I thank Him for your messages, and calming my heart. Once again,

Thank you, this means everything to me,

Stephen
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 10:24:10 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words and welcoming me as part of your community. I feel much more at ease this morning, having spoken to Him before I went to sleep last night and this morning when I woke up. Your messages have helped me a lot also to talk to Him more comfortably. I thank Him for your messages, and calming my heart. Once again,

Thank you, this means everything to me,

Stephen

Stephen,

I am happy God is working in you to draw you to himself, all who claim the name of Christ, have gone through the same experience, Jesus said;

He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
 Jhn12:44-48

It is important to understand, that no man can come to God, unless He believes Gods words, which were spoken to menkind, by Jesus, and no one can believe Jesus, unless God His Father draw that person to faith in Jesus.

I do not want overwhelm you with scripture except to say, that God knows the hearts iof men, abd will abswer their prayers according to His will for them.

Because it is God's Spirit that is presently working in this world convicting it of sin, righteousness and judgment.

Be assured that He will not reject any person that calls out to Him, here are some verses, you can put your faith in.

God said to Jeremiah, while he was shut in prison;

Jer 33
2  Thus saith the LORD the maker thereof, the LORD that formed it, to establish it; the LORD is his name;
3  Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

These words the Lord Jesus, he says to us in the New Testament;

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
I am that bread of life.
Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
 Jhn 6:44-51

Because Jesus is that prophet spoken of by God at Deutoronomy 18:17-19, every word He (Jesus) ever spoke will judge men in the last day (accordingto His own testimony), at Jhn 12:48.

Trusting and praying, this will comfort you.....

God Bless,
Petro

Fewarechosen7F

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:12:45 AM »

Hello Stephen,

As we must be baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, our thoughts must be -- saturated -- in the information about them. That is what the baptism unto salvation actually is, the meaning of baptize being to whelm, to saturate.

In 1991 my husband and I bought the Bible on cassettes, Alexander Scourby. As we are truck drivers, we had plenty of time to listen. We soon discovered that the KJV can be heard from cover to cover every 52 waking hours. Because we listened to the KJV 23.5 times that year, we -- actually -- became baptized - in the name. -

Through this sort of baptizing, the knowledge and understanding found in the scriptures themselves soon identifies whether the preacher who is speaking is authentic unto God, or whether he is a false prophet unknowingly.

Anne
stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 01:22:07 PM »

Hello again,

Fewarechosen7F, I don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't understand what you are saying to me. I have not been baptised yet. Is that what you're asking me? It is something that has been bothering me for a while, and I know I need to be baptised soon. Or are you saying something else?
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 07:16:16 PM »

Stephen.auty, you don't need to be physically baptized, that is an obedence thing, some people will disagree.  What you really not to do first is admit that you are a sinner and that you can't live without God in your life.  Ask God to come into you heart and fill you with the Holy Spirit.  I say that you know that God sent His only son Jesus to die for our sins.  And know that Jesus is God.  This is called the sinners prayer. Once you pray it and believe you are saved forever!

Bible verse about it: Romans 10:9 " That if thou shalt confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

This is really, really, really important.  Baptizum is just obedience to God after you become saved.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 08:38:07 PM »

Hi Stephen,
I thought I'd take a shot at this myself, as I've had a fair bit of doubt and er...stormy seas in my relationship with God. I hope its helpful in some way.

I also felt shame for living in ignorance so long, as I have not yet been Christened or Baptised (it was my parents decision that I choose my own path)

Well first of all you don't need to feel ashamed for not knowing about God before. Plenty of people only come to Christ much later than 23, there is no shame in it. Regret, yes, but its not some terrible thing, not believing before.

So, anyway I know that I know nothing about God and the Bible, and I feel I can't defend myself against those who would call me a Bible-Basher, or others who say that the Bible has been manipulated by man over the years and that the path I have chosen is the wrong one.

You don't need to. I know some people, when you make a profession of faith, will try to challenge it. Will claim all sorts of things, will debate and talk about the various problems they have with Christianity. With a lot of them, its because they assume you know a lot more than you may do, and with some it is indeed malicious. Often they know the Bible very well, too. Its best not to tangle with them, not at this stage. Just remember you do not need to justify your faith. You don't need to give philosophical and scientific reasons why you believe - that you believe, and are being changed, is reason enough. Jesus said that one of the reasons He sent the Holy Spirit to us was that so we could be given words to say to testify about Him when we couldn't think of them. So the Spirit will help you, if you need help. If someone asks you something that troubles you, ask someone who might know the answer Smiley But don't worry about other people's comments about Christ - if God be for you, who can be against you? Know that you are justified in God's sight - and frankly, what does it matter what other people think if God thinks well of you?

Is this doubt something I should expect to feel, as someone just starting on this path?

I don't worry about doubt, personally. I have doubted God many, many times in the past. I am fairly sure I will doubt in the future, too. Not because I want to, because I dislike God or anything like that, but because I sincerely cannot find answers. There is plenty of doubt in the Bible - the Psalms (which are very good as prayers/poems by the way) are full of doubt with an undercurrent of faith. David, who wrote them, may have doubted that God was there, that God loved him, but underneath - he trusted in God. Doubt should not scare you, because it does pass. It is dangerous if it persuades you to hide from God instead of bringing the doubt itself to Him.

If people are hassling you about faith, then perhaps a challenge might work. So for instance someone says X is wrong about Christianity, and Y is awful, and Z was a horrible man - they don't know that it looks different from the other side, that things slot into place in a different way. Challenge them to try it, to ask God - who after all is the principle Actor in the Bible - to explain. Smiley

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Early57

It is me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 08:58:17 PM »

Glad to hear that you are a new Christian. Praise God

Talking to God is great.

some only talk to God in the Good times.  

some only talk to God in the bad times.

some only talk to God when they have a sin to confess.

Try not to be like some. talk to God when it's Good, Bad, Happy or Sad. even when you fall like most of us do from time to time.  

Keep talking.  and talking till you can't think and but every other sentence take a breath and listen.  

Listen in the Good times, the sad times, the happy times.
Listen, listen, listen my friend.

God is speaking to you.  He makes the sun shine and the rain fall.  It's all GoooooD

Welcome to the Family

Early57
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 01:28:33 AM »

Hi everyone.

I'm so confused as to what to do, but even thogh I'm sure I am heading in the right direction, what can I do with my limited knowledge to repel the words of these people?

Thanks

Stephen:

A belated and warm welcome to this forum.

1. Be ABSOLUTELY CONFIDENT THAT YOU ARE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, since God says that He will personally draw near to us when we draw near to Him.  He is always standing beside you with open arms and waiting for you to trust Him fully.

2. If you believe God with a simple, child-like faith, He will gather you in His arms. If you trust Christ with a simple child-like faith, He will save you by His grace and through His blood and righteousness.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING TO GOD, AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BIBLE SCHOLAR TO RECEIVE THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE!

3. Be assured that God led your friend to discuss spiritual matters with you and to encourage you to read the Bible, and God has led you to post you message on this board.  There are no accidents with God!

4. Be assured that each one on this board who is a child of God sincerely loves you with the love of God, and wants to see you fully established in Christ, in the Gospel, and in the Word of God.  That's why God brought you to this place -- so that others can encourage you to press on.

5. Whenever you are confused, discouraged, or assaulted by Satan [as you no doubt will be] TALK TO GOD AND SIMPLY POUR OUT YOUR HEART TO HIM. AGAIN, HE KNOWS YOU INSIDE OUT AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE TO HIM.  ALL HE WANTS IS THAT YOU TRUST HIM WITH YOUR LIFE AND WITH YOUR SOUL. HE DOES EVERYTHING ELSE.

6. Do not concern yourself with the approval or disapproval of scoffers, mockers, naysayers, or anyone else at this point. BELIEVE THAT GOD LOVES YOU WITH AN EVERLASTING LOVE, THAT CHRIST DIED FOR YOUR SINS ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, THAT SALVATION IS GOD'S GIFT TO YOU WHEN YOU REPENT [turn from sin and idols to the living God] AND "CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD", AND THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS WORKING IN YOUR HEART AND SOUL ALREADY -- RIGHT NOW!

Shut out all the other noises. May the Lord bless you as you seek Him with all your heart.

Sower

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Fewarechosen7F

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 01:40:35 AM »

Hello again,

Fewarechosen7F, I don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't understand what you are saying to me. I have not been baptised yet. Is that what you're asking me? It is something that has been bothering me for a while, and I know I need to be baptised soon. Or are you saying something else?

The word baptize means to saturate, to thoroughly whelm.
When we are water baptized, it only symbolizes to other Christians that our thoughts have been thoroughly saturated in the knowledge and understandiung of sin.

You see John the Baptist came preaching the baptism unto repentance, before he baptized anyone. He first preached cause and effect of sin until they wanted to repent sin. And when they repented, he baptized them in water to symbolize that they had repented sin.

The cause of sin is simple. Yeshua, (Jesus), tells us in John 15:22- exactly what sin is. If I had not come and spoken to them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. He that hates me hates my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Sin is hating God, and hating the Son of God, and hating the Holy Spirit of God, which is shown by ignoring God and ignoring those who tell of him in truth. All the other stuff that religious folks call sin are all the results of ignoring God.

This is the understanding that we become saturated in unto -- repentance.  The understanding that we become saturated in unto salvation is understanding the ways of Yeshua (Jesus), understanding his mind, his thoughts. We have the mind of Christ because the thoughts that he spoke -- ARE HIS DOCTRINE. And his is the only treue doctrine.

Anne
stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 10:30:59 AM »

Hello everyone,

Thank you again for your advice. I finished reading the Gospel of John today as my recommended starting point, and it helped me a lot. I find that it is helping clear my mind of uncertainty, about what Jesus did, and what He means to me. Tomorrow, I am going to my local Church for the first time, confident in the new belief that has came into me in the past few days. I know I will also enjoy it as I enjoyed reading the Gospel of John, as I am finding that learning about Jesus is enjoyable, as well as important me. Thank you all again, and I thank God in my prayers for the help you have given me.

Stephen.
goinhome
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 11:06:22 PM »

Hello Stephen

Giving thanks to the Lord for you today!!!
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't understand what you are saying to me. I have not been baptised yet. Is that what you're asking me? It is something that has been bothering me for a while, and I know I need to be baptised soon. Or are you saying something else?

Brother... you are not stupid at all. Just take one step at a time. It is all about Jesus...... you need to pray and ask him for forgiveness (this is called to repent).. humble yourself and admit that you are a sinner and that you need Him, and give him your life today... make him your Lord and Savior. And thank Him for what He has done for you.

He saved your life (and mine too).

This is the first step Stephen...

God Bless you!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the