Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hear the Word of God...Rightly Divided
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hear the Word of God...Rightly Divided  (Read 19805 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 10:56:07 PM »

(technically, I suppose you could call bible study a form of worship)

Gracey  †

Oklahoma Howdy to Gracey,

I think Bible Study is definitely worship of HIM. The Holy Bible is HIS WORD, and HIS WORD is for us in learning about HIM and growing in HIS TRUTH. Christians are told to study HIS WORD and become approved workmen in HIS WORD. Failure to study HIS WORD is really us saying that we don't care about the RICHES HE has provided in HIS WORD for us. It is in the Holy Bible that we learn how to walk in THE SPIRIT that our joy might be more full IN HIM. I don't think it is possible to say that we worship HIM without studying HIS WORD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 11:24:17 PM »

I think Bible Study is definitely worship of HIM. The Holy Bible is HIS WORD, and HIS WORD is for us in learning about HIM and growing in HIS TRUTH. Christians are told to study HIS WORD and become approved workmen in HIS WORD. Failure to study HIS WORD is really us saying that we don't care about the RICHES HE has provided in HIS WORD for us. It is in the Holy Bible that we learn how to walk in THE SPIRIT that our joy might be more full IN HIM. I don't think it is possible to say that we worship HIM without studying HIS WORD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

No words can make that statement any more clear.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 04:40:35 PM »

uh huh, but I'll tell ya, some of the sermons I've heard sure don't sound like worship    Grin

I agree with you in principle...I guess it's just that we've always not called our church services "bible study" and our bible studies are "bible study". I guess it's just a matter of terms! Nothing feeds you like the living word; or quenches your thirst like the living waters!!!

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2004, 05:55:33 PM »

Well said Tom

It troubles me that any christian would question wether the Bible is God`s word, Here`s another statement that says it well:  No matter how logical and convincing your arguments, accepting that there is a God, or that the Bible is his Word, requires an act of faith. Faith comes from hearing the word. Faith - it's a gift of God. With all the talking and discussing and convincing and philosophysing - we need to pray - for it is the Spirit of God who makes children of God - not us

Also concerning God speaking through clairvoyance, angelic visitation, dreams & visions, prayer, ecstatic experiences, meditation etc. etc. etc..all these MUST be tested agianst the Word, because I dont believe God steps outside the boundaries of His Word.

2Co 13:1  This [is] the third [time] I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.
Mar 16:20  And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with [them], and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
Luk 11:28  But he said, Yea rather, blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
1Jo 2:24  Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
1Jo 2:26  These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2004, 09:01:48 PM »

uh huh, but I'll tell ya, some of the sermons I've heard sure don't sound like worship    Grin

I agree with you in principle...I guess it's just that we've always not called our church services "bible study" and our bible studies are "bible study". I guess it's just a matter of terms! Nothing feeds you like the living word; or quenches your thirst like the living waters!!!

Gracey

All men fail, and pastors are not immune from failure or error. However, HIS HOLY WORD is completely free of error, without contradiction, and preserved as HIS WORD for us. When men fail, there is still POWER and TRUTH in HIS WORD. HIS WORD is never wasted or destroyed. This is only one reason why we are told to study HIS WORD ourselves. We should not place our faith in the pastor that he will always give us the truth. Our faith is to be placed in ALMIGHTY GOD, not men or pastors.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2004, 10:17:15 PM »

It troubles me that any christian would question wether the Bible is God`s word, Here`s another statement that says it well:  No matter how logical and convincing your arguments, accepting that there is a God, or that the Bible is his Word, requires an act of faith. Faith comes from hearing the word. Faith - it's a gift of God. With all the talking and discussing and convincing and philosophysing - we need to pray - for it is the Spirit of God who makes children of God - not us

Oklahoma Howdy to Shylynne,

AMEN SISTER!

You just spoke volumes. We are simply HIS tools and servants for whatever HIS will and purpose is. I sincerely believe that Almighty God gives us all opportunities, and, however small, we should yield to HIS call. It might be to share a portion of Scripture, buy a Bible for someone, or whatever else HE lays on our heart to do. The power and the might is HIS, not ours.

If we yield to HIS will and purpose, everything is to HIS glory, not ours. By the way, I completely agree with your entire post.

Love In Christ,
Tom

The Crusader
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 05:43:22 AM »

70 Ways To Better Understand The Bible

2 Tim 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1. All Scripture is written to us, but not  for us.
 2. Never let one verse contradict the entire Bible.
 3. Never let an obscure passage contradict a clear one.
 4. Never let an if contradict a verily. (ex.  Heb 6:4 &  John 5:24)
 5. Don't dwell so much upon what a passage does say.
 6. Use reliable teachers. (Commentaries, Reference Material)
 7. Use the original language. (Young's, Strong’s, and Crudent’s Concordance)
 8. Never let presuppositions interfere with biblical teachings.
 9. Never trust feelings over God's Word.
10. Popularity does not always follow being true to God's Word.
11. Remember the Bible is God as well as God's Word. (John 1:1)
12. Time is sometimes the best teacher.
13. Never study for others alone.
14. Determine the Dispensation & Age of the passage.
15. All doctrines are intertwined.
16. If one doctrine is misinterpreted other will be out of sync to some degree.
17. You can not literalize and spiritualize a passage at the same time.
18. Check passages in the Four Gospels and Acts to see if they're repeated in Paul’s Epistles.
19. Most things in the Four Gospels belong to the Dispensation of the Law.
20. Try to get the overall or big picture.
21. Although the Bible doesn't say it in one place, it may say it somewhere else.
22. Don't be afraid to admit if you don't understand something.
23. Mark your Bible.
24. Allow the Bible to mark you.
25. Study with an attitude of prayer and reverence.
26. Determine to whom the passages are addressed.
27. Don't take a verse out of context.
28. Don't take a God out of context. (see #27)
29. A verse out of context is a pretext. (A purpose or excuse given to hide the real reason for
      something).
30. If the literal makes sense to seek other sense is utter nonsense.
31. Never let an interpretation contradict a clear teaching.
32. Never study for the sake of just knowledge.
33. Distinguish between discipleship and son-ship.
34. Distinguish between profession and possession.
35. Distinguish between goats, sheep, dogs, etc.
36. Distinguish between law and grace.
37. Distinguish between Paul and other N.T writers. (Also note # 38)
38. Distinguish between when God is dealing with Israel and after her temporary setting aside.
39. Distinguish between Israel, Church, The Body of Christ and the Elect.
40. Distinguish between Dispensation, Age and Twentieth Century Application.
41. Distinguish between Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven.
42. Distinguish between Kingdom of Heaven and Heaven.
43. Distinguish between Jew, Gentile.
44. Distinguish between Church, Body of Christ , Prophetic Saint or Bride of Christ.
45. Distinguish between Law and Grace.
46. Distinguish between Two Natures (The Old and New Man).
47. Distinguish between Standing And State.
48. Distinguish between Believers And Unbelievers.
49. Distinguish between Atonement and Redemption.
50. Distinguish between Dispensation and Principles.
51. Distinguish between Types and Anti-types.
52. Distinguish between Sin and Salvation.
53. Distinguish between: Water Baptism, Baptism of the Holy Spirit, Baptism of Christ, Baptism in
      the Cloud, ETC.
54. Distinguish between Believers And Unbelievers.
55. Distinguish between Predestination and Freewill.
56. Distinguish between Predestination and Foreknowledge.
57. Distinguish between Possessor and Professors.
58. Distinguish between Indwelling and Filling.
59. Distinguish between Judaism and Christianity.
60. Distinguish between Salvation and Rewards.
61. Distinguish between a child of God and a man of God.
62. Distinguish between The Four Resurrections.(Christ’s Rapture, S.C., G.W.T.).
63. Distinguish between The Two Adams.
64. Distinguish between Prophecy and Mystery.
65. Distinguish between Dispensation Circumcision and the Uncircumcision.
66. Distinguish between Miracles, Signs, Bible.
67. Distinguish between Our Works and Christ Work.
68. Distinguish between The "Great Commission" (Jew Gentile) and Ministry of Reconciliation.
69. Distinguish between revelation and progressive revelation.
70. Knowledge without application is futile.

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 06:58:29 AM »

uh huh, but I'll tell ya, some of the sermons I've heard sure don't sound like worship    

That was nothing more than a little fun, hence the big toothed smiley.

But it is true (not talking about my own Pastor, you understand).

And you are quite right....God's word is ever true (how could it not be?) and when we take the time to READ it for ourselves, we discover not only it's truth, but just how awesome God really is.

However, folks, don't forget to chuckle from time to time - I believe God had a sense of humour too.

Gracey   Smiley

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 09:14:24 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to The Crusader,

Thanks for posting 70 ways to better understand the Bible.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 09:31:09 AM »

That was nothing more than a little fun, hence the big toothed smiley.

But it is true (not talking about my own Pastor, you understand).

Cheesy  I certainly understand. I was not trying to portray pastors as error-ridden, rather making a point there are many reasons to study HIS WORD for ourselves and place our faith in GOD, not men.

I see that it no longer says "Newbie" next to your name.   Cheesy

HAPPY GRADUATION!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 09:55:46 AM »

right·ly  di·vid·ed,

With honesty; justly

To separate into parts, sections, groups, or branches:

Dictionary.com

Forum Dictionary

right·ly  di·vid·ed,

Honesty;  think just like me

To separate into parts, sections, groups, or branches I deem are correct:
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »

right·ly  di·vid·ed,

With honesty; justly

To separate into parts, sections, groups, or branches:

Dictionary.com

Forum Dictionary

right·ly  di·vid·ed,

Honesty;  think just like me

To separate into parts, sections, groups, or branches I deem are correct:

Distinguish between goats, sheep, dogs, etc. Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
The Crusader
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 04:21:59 AM »

The Devil’s Best Tool

It was once announced that the devil was going out of business and would offer all his tools for sale to whoever would pay his price. On the night of the sale they were all attractively displayed, and a bad looking lot they were. Malice, hatred, envy, jealously, sensuality, and deceit, and all the other implements of evil were spread out, each marked with its price. Apart from the rest lay a harmless-looking wedge-shaped tool, much worn and priced higher than any of them.
Someone asked the devil what it was. “That’s discouragement,” was the reply. “Well, why do you have it priced so high?” He asked. “Because,” replied the devil, “it is more useful to me than any of the others. I can pry open and get inside a man’s consciousness with that when I could not get near him with any of the others and when once inside I can use him in whatever way suits me best. It is so much worn because I use it with nearly everybody, as very few people yet know it belongs to me.”  

It hardly need be added that the devil’s price for discouragement was so high that it was never sold. He still owns it and is still using it.

Discouragement

Our best defense against a deceiving, lying devil is to simply believe God’s Word and the precious promises it contains for us personally. “But the Lord is faithful who shall establish you, and keep you from evil” 11 Thess. 3:3.
Don’t entertain evil, discouraging thoughts but rather keep your mind and heart on the Lord. “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee” (Isaiah 26:3).

“In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” (1 Thess. 5:18). A thankful trusting heart will have no time for discouragement.

Author Unknown

<Smiley))><
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 05:58:23 AM »

Discouragement

Our best defense against a deceiving, lying devil is to simply believe God’s Word and the precious promises it contains for us personally. “But the Lord is faithful who shall establish you, and keep you from evil” 11 Thess. 3:3.
Don’t entertain evil, discouraging thoughts but rather keep your mind and heart on the Lord. “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee” (Isaiah 26:3).

“In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” (1 Thess. 5:18). A thankful trusting heart will have no time for discouragement.

Oklahoma Howdy to the Crusader,

AMEN BROTHER!

Love In Christ,
Tom

The Crusader
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 05:52:07 AM »

Rightly Dividing
Paul’s Epistles

The Distinctive Messages of the Prison
and Pre-prison Epistles

Most instructed believers today know that present truth – the truth for the church which is the body of Christ – is to be found only in Paul’s epistles, from Romans to Philemon. (Hebrews is a special epistle to the Hebrew believers, and is not addressed as a church epistle). The rest of the Word of God is for us, and is rich in instruction to us, but only in the church epistles do we find the direct doctrines and practices for the present age of grace. Paul plainly states that to him was given this special revelation, “of the dispensation of the grace of God” (Ephesians 3:2-3).

But is every statement in Paul’s epistles for us today? Are there some things, even in these epistles, that were Jewish and have passed away? Most believers have not been able to give a very good answer to the first question, and though they believe the second one should be answered in the affirmative, they are hard pressed for Scripture proof.

For instance, in 1. Corinthians 12:28-30 there are certain gifts listed, including the gift of healing, speaking in tongues and “workers of miracles.” In 14:13 Paul writes, “Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue that he may interpret.” Any one with a correct understanding of dispensational truth knows that all of these special wonders and miracles were Kingdom signs (Isiah 35:5-6), and belong with the nation Israel, who always require a sign (1. Corinthians 1:22). He knows also that these signs simply do not work today, in spite of all the fantastic clams of modern cults. And further, it is stated in 1 Corinthians13:8 tongues, shall cease.

Again, in Romans 12:6, as well as in First Corinthians, we find the gift of “prophecy.” The gift also was to cease, as we read in 1. Corinthians 13:8. It apparently was a gift given by the Holy Spirit in the early church for the “edification, exhortation and comfort” of the believers (1. Corinthians 14:3), while the Word of God was in the making. After the Word was completed there was no longer any need for the New Testaments prophet.

But the fact remains that these passages are in Paul’s epistles, which we insist are present day truth. If they are for us today, then the Pentecostalists are right. If they are NOT for us today, then we have some explaining to do beyond the fact that things changed, and these sign gifts ceased. For then we must answer the question: WHEN did the change of order come in, and WHY did it come in?

The Numeral Structure

Paul wrote thirteen epistles (not counting Hebrews). This number itself is significant, and shows the amazing perfection of God’s Word. Had Paul left out even that small epistle to Philemon, the number would have been twelve, which is the number of Israel throughout the Bible. But the number thirteen goes on beyond Israel to the Gentiles. Paul himself was not one of the twelve apostles. He did not take the place of Judas, as some teach. He was an added apostle, a special apostle, the thirteenth apostle, the apostle to the Gentiles.

Before he went to prison Paul wrote six epistles, and during his imprisonment he wrote seven others. Six is man’s number, the number of weakness. And so it is that in these first six epistles we find the HUMAN SIDE of the church, with all its faults and failures. Romans opens with the wickedness of this poor, fallen race, out of which we have been called. In 1. Corinthians we find carnality, greed, selfishness and even fornication among those who named the name of Christ. In Galatians we find backsliding and legalism. All human weakness. But seven is the number of perfection and completeness. So in the seven Prison Epistles we find the HEAVENLY SIDE of the church, seated in the heavenlies in Ephesians looking at her heavenly Head in Colossians, looking for heaven itself and the coming of our Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, in Philippians.

The Order of the Epistles

As the New Scoefield note (page 1209), the order in which Paul wrote his epistles is generally believed by competent scholars to be as follows: 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Galatians, 1 Corinthians, Romans, 2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon, Philippians, 1 Timothy, Titus and 2 Timothy. The first six of these are the pre-prison Epistles, and the last seven are the Prison Epistles.

The Pre-prison Epistles

The Pre-prison Epistles and the dates they were written, according to the New Scoefield notes are as following:

1. and 2.Thessalonians – A.D. 51.
Galatians – A.D. 49 or 52.
1. Corinthians – A.D. 56.
Romans – A.D. 56.
2. Corinthians – A.D. 57.

The Prison Epistles

The Prison Epistles began with the Ephesians Epistle written in A.D. 60 or 62. Colossians, Philemon and Philippians were written also in A.D. 60 or 62. 1> Timothy was written in A.D. 64 or 67, Titus in 65 or 67; 2 Timothy in 67 or 68. In other words, Paul wrote his last seven Epistles during his two last years in prison at Rome. It may have been the two years mentioned in Acts 28:28, at the close of the Acts period.

The Dividing Line
You will note that there is a three or four year gap between the last of the Pre-prison Epistles and the first of the Prison Epistles. During the gap the nation Israel rejected God’s final offer of His risen Son as their Lord and Messiah, and the tremendous statement was made in Acts 28:28. It reads as follows:

“Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.”

The Scripture is the great pillar of demarcation that stands between these two groups of epistles. The Pre-prison Epistles on one side, and the Prison Epistles on the other, with Acts 28:28 between them. Although Luke wrote the Book of Acts in A.D. 65, the setting aside of the nation Israel in Acts 28:28 seems to have taken place a year earlier, sometime in A.D. 64. In God’s mind it was already the beginning of the end of Israel’s occupancy of the land. In a few more years, A.D. 70, He permitted the Romans to completely remove them.

The Pre-prison Epistles, then, were written during the period of time covered by the Book of Acts, Throughout the Book of Acts God was still dealing with the nation Israel. In the Old Testament they had rejected God the Father. In the four Gospels they had rejected God the Son. And in the Book of Acts they rejected the ministry of God the Holy Spirit, even though He displayed before them great power and the Kingdom signs of healing, miracles, etc.

But it is quite evident that God was also bringing in the church, that He was for a little while engaged in a two-fold program. He was offering Israel her Messianic hope, through in His fore-knowledge God knew this offer would be rejected, and He would visit the Gentiles “to take out of them a people for His name” (Acts 15:14).

So in the Pre-prison Epistles we find some things that are Jewish, and must cease when Israel is set aside. This took place in Acts 28:28, and then we have the Prison Epistles, in which we find the full revelation of the mystery. In these nothing is of Jewish character, nothing temporary, nothing to cease, and no signs and miracles.

The Word does not tell us when Paul received all the revelation of the mystery, though there is considerable conjecture about it. It seems most probable that the Spirit gave him these revelations as he went along. We know that he received the gospel by special revelation (Galatians 1:12). Perhaps he received his final and complete revelation of the mystery in prison at Rome from whence came those high pinnacles of church truth – Ephesians, Colossians and Philippians.

Some may ask, Why did there have to be Jewish truth at all in the early church epistles? One reason is that the early assemblies were composed of both Jews and Gentiles. In fact, much of the work began with meetings in synagogues. But the main reason is that since God was not yet through dealing with Israel, the Holy Spirit was still working through the apostles in signs and miracles. Paul himself healed and did other miracles during his Acts period ministry (see Acts 14:8-10, 19:11-12). It was needful that some of these things be taken up in his early epistles.

The whole picture changed after Acts 28:28. No more sending handkerchiefs to heal; one brother is sick nigh unto death, and Paul had to leave another “at Miletum sick” (2 Timothy 4:20). And he could only prescribe a certain tonic for Timothy’s sick stomach (1 Timothy 5:23).

But only the things that were distinctly church revelation in the Pre-prison Epistles continue on. Healings, tongues and other miracles, for instance, were not Pauline revelation. Nor was water baptism. All these things began before Paul came on the scene, and they are related to Israel and the coming earthly Kingdom.

On the other hand, the things that are distinct church truths, and not brought in until the Spirit revealed them through Paul, these things all continue on. Take the rapture, that “blessed hope” that is so precious to us today. In 1 Corinthians 15:51, Paul calls it “a mystery,” or secret, which was revealed to him by the Lord from Heaven, but the truth of the rapture, goes right on into the Prison Epistles also (Philippians 3:20). All the great doctrines of salvation, faith, separation and church order continue on into the Prison Epistles. But other things did change, and Acts 28:28 was the big turning point.

By - Dee L. McCroskey

“Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth”
“Speaking the Truth in Love”

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the