Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I supposed I knew my Bible...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I supposed I knew my Bible...  (Read 10117 times)
The Crusader
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:32:51 AM »

I supposed I knew my Bible,
Reading a piecemeal, hit and miss,
Now a bit of John or Matthew,
Now a snatch of Genesis,
Certain chapters of Isaiah,
Certain Psalms (the twenty-third),
Twelfth of Romans, First of Proverbs—
Yes, I thought I knew the Word!
But I found that thorough reading
Was a different thing to do,
And the way was unfamiliar
When I read the Bible through.
You who like to play at Bible,
Dip and dabble, here and there,
Just before you kneel, aweary,
And yawn through hurried prayer;
You who treat the Crown of Writings,
As you treat no other book—
Just a paragraph disjointed,
Just a crude impatient look—
Try a worthier procedure,
Try a broad and steady view;
You will kneel in very rapture
When you read the Bible through!
— Amos R Wells

The Crusader
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 05:34:19 AM »

The Bible itself gives the instructions on how to study.

2 Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (KJV)
2Tim. 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (KJV)

You see, all the Bible is for us, when it is rightly divided. The opposite of right division is wrong division. So we must conclude that care should be taken when studying the Word of God.
The Crusader
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 05:36:13 AM »

Lucky dipping is an approach that can really lead you astray. You are probably wondering, "what is lucky dipping?" To lucky dip is to close your eyes, open the Bible, and begin reading. This may sound foolish, but millions use this approach.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:46:09 AM »

Lucky dipping is an approach that can really lead you astray. You are probably wondering, "what is lucky dipping?" To lucky dip is to close your eyes, open the Bible, and begin reading. This may sound foolish, but millions use this approach.

Too true! The first time I had heard of someone doing this, my jaw hit the floor!  Lips Sealed

BIBLE MEDITATION: “But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT: I believe many churches are suffering a famine because their pulpits are not feeding heavenly bread to their flocks. If you are not feeding on the Bible daily, you are either not saved, or you are dying of spiritual malnutrition. The only strength we have is found when we feed upon the Word of God. Job said, “I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food” (Job 23:12). In other words, Job was saying that if he had to choose between eating physical bread or spiritual bread, he would rather have the Word of God. How I pray that people reading this would commit to a daily routine of exercising on their knees in prayer and feeding with the nutritious bread of God’s Word.

~Love Worth Finding

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:20:50 AM »

Amen,

And I might add, set aside all other materials.

It is not reading the bible and then a commentary or someones elses opinions, to help one understand what he has read.

This is not the way to be taught of the Spirit, who is well able to bring to  remmerbrance all things spoken of by Jesus;

"teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."  Jhn 14:26

Since itis the words Jesus spoke in His Father name which will judge the living and the dead in the last day.

Notice carefully;

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
 (Jhn 12;48-50)

The bible is the bedrock of truth, and in it are the words of life, which Jesus spoke.

Duet 18:17-19

God Bless,

Petro

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 05:55:05 PM »

I supposed I knew my Bible,
Reading a piecemeal, hit and miss,
Now a bit of John or Matthew,
Now a snatch of Genesis,
Certain chapters of Isaiah,
Certain Psalms (the twenty-third),
Twelfth of Romans, First of Proverbs—
Yes, I thought I knew the Word!
But I found that thorough reading
Was a different thing to do,
And the way was unfamiliar
When I read the Bible through.
You who like to play at Bible,
Dip and dabble, here and there,
Just before you kneel, aweary,
And yawn through hurried prayer;
You who treat the Crown of Writings,
As you treat no other book—
Just a paragraph disjointed,
Just a crude impatient look—
Try a worthier procedure,
Try a broad and steady view;
You will kneel in very rapture
When you read the Bible through!
— Amos R Wells

AAAAAAAAAMEN

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 06:29:05 PM »

Double Ditto on A4C's big Amen.  

I practice 'lucky dipping' (but I didn't know that's what it was called!).  I do my structured daily reading (minimum two chapters OT and two chapters NT) but a few nights a week I let my Study Bible fall open where it may - and I'm here to tell you (in case you were wondering why I'm here) I do "dip" upon some jewels - and many seem to be very timely for personal current life events.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 06:54:35 PM »

I practice 'lucky dipping' (but I didn't know that's what it was called!).  I do my structured daily reading (minimum two chapters OT and two chapters NT) but a few nights a week I let my Study Bible fall open where it may - and I'm here to tell you (in case you were wondering why I'm here) I do "dip" upon some jewels - and many seem to be very timely for personal current life events.

I took the term 'lucky dipping' to be those people who read bits and pieces here and there. Two verses from Genesis one time. Then a verse from Matthew the next. And then maybe three verses in Esther. And never a whole chapter or a whole book at a time.

Not those who read a whole chapter (or two, etc.) at a time.... Tongue

Structured daily reading does NOT qualify as 'lucky dipping'. Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 07:07:03 AM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

I would like to second JudgeNot's double DITTO on A4C's post, but now I'm confused. I got out my scientific calculator and squared the cosign of the tangent exponentially and came out with two different answers = either three DITTOS or four DITTOS.   Cheesy

I have a lengthy list of topics and portions of the Bible I want to study. I'm fairly slow because I like to use contrasts and comparisons most of the time. There are other times when I simply enjoy reading a favorite portion, chapter, or book of the Bible.

I am completely spoiled in using a Bible Study Software package called e-Sword. I use the larger fonts and love the click and go to contrasts and comparisons. Brother Petro, you can flog me with wet noodles, but I enjoy the built-in dictionaries, commentaries, topic studies, language functions, supporting ancient history, and maps. It's probably slower the way I like to study, but I've got plenty of time and really enjoy it. I have a house full of books, but my eyes get tired pretty quickly with the small prints. In fact, my brothers and I own a large library of old and rare Bible study books that were passed down through several generations of preachers. Some of the books are 200 or more years old. One room of our church is set aside for everyone in the congregation to use.

Brother Petro, I understand your objection to using texts other than the Holy Bible and various study aids, and it might be detrimental for some people. However, for me, I would have to disagree and say that selected study aids enhance my study and increase my enjoyment of Bible study. Our pastor many times locks himself in our library and spends hours or days with various books, but the Holy Bible is always the primary source of study. The Holy Bible is also my primary source of study.

Love In Christ,
Tom  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 07:11:07 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 08:16:31 AM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

Brother Petro, I understand your objection to using texts other than the Holy Bible and various study aids, and it might be detrimental for some people. However, for me, I would have to disagree and say that selected study aids enhance my study and increase my enjoyment of Bible study. Our pastor many times locks himself in our library and spends hours or days with various books, but the Holy Bible is always the primary source of study. The Holy Bible is also my primary source of study.

Love In Christ,
Tom  

Bro BEP,

Its quite alright to use them, as reference sources.

The problem as I see it, they wind up being used as inspired text, as soon as a person begins counting on them as the answer to the questions which are raised from ones reading or study time.

If one is mature enough in his spiritual growth and can see this can be a hindrance rather than a blessing, then by all  means.

Personally I prefer to read a portion of scripture or study
a topic, without the use of aids, using only scripture, then refer them (helps), to see others opinions.

Incredibly one can find errors imediately this way, and these opinions sometimes lead to doctrines away from the simple words of truth, and all because of a misquoted scripture.

And a misquoted verse, errors in two ways, one, it gives the wrong meaning of what is being conveyed by it; and two, the unlearned are swept away by it, and it becomes a cause that stumbles them.

I am of the opinion with Crusader;

The bible gives the instructions on how to study the Word of God.

And it doesn't mention helps or other writings..

However, if the helps, can help you grow in the inward man without derailing your understanding of the great truths, then by all means, enjoy.

God Bless,

Petro
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 08:28:42 AM by Petro » Logged

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 09:16:35 PM »

Learn from the teachers .... but the important thing is to learn the WORD for yourself.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Fewarechosen7F

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 02:28:57 AM »

Knowledge of God can be gained from all things.
But - wisdom to use the knowledge - comes through many councelors.

Anne
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 04:36:22 AM »

Knowledge of God can be gained from all things.
But - wisdom to use the knowledge - comes through many councelors.

Oklahoma Howdy to Fewarechosen7F, Ambassador4Christ, and Petro,

I think that most people use some study aids whether they recognize it or not, especially depending on how good their personal Bible is. The better personal Bibles have mini-concordances, topical indexes, comparison/contrast portions of Scripture, maps, and most with preview commentary about each book. The quality of the additional material varies, but it is very short in comparison to separate books. If you want to do any ancient language studies, additional books are a necessity. Although I do have a couple of Bibles that contain Strong's Numbers, but that is also not part of the Bible.  

I'm not trying to argue, but I would point out it would be better to have some reference material than skip or misunderstand a portion of Scripture.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 03:04:52 PM »

I'm not trying to argue, but I would point out it would be better to have some reference material than skip or misunderstand a portion of Scripture.

Indeed - I agree. The qualifying thing is that no matter what reference or teacher, one must "proof" the material by starting with and then going back to the bible.

I also use e-Sword and find it remarkably helpful.

Wink

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 06:35:53 PM »

Indeed - I agree. The qualifying thing is that no matter what reference or teacher, one must "proof" the material by starting with and then going back to the bible.

I also use e-Sword and find it remarkably helpful.

Oklahoma Howdy to Gracey,

It's hard to believe that e-Sword is free. Several in my family use e-Sword, including one uncle who is a preacher. He also has a commercial Bible Study package that was probably around $1,500, but he still uses e-Sword also. The search, topic, and language functions are extremely fast and easy to use. It's a keeper.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the