Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "His Dark Materials"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "His Dark Materials"  (Read 4460 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2004, 05:11:09 PM »

...from a phrase in Milton's Paradise Lost, a theatre play currently running in London, based on a book trilogy, the first of which came out in 1995, in UK as "Northern Lights", and in US as "The Golden Compass".  Books "basiscally" for twelve-year olds", according to The New Yorker(Feb 2, p. 28).  

The books have "acquired a following rivalling that of Lord of the Rings".  

Article says not only young folk in the audience.  The kids seemed thrilled, it says.  It goes on to say, "They were probably not aware...that the books are inteneded as an answer to Milton, and an attack on Christian theology and the Church.  The story includes the death of God.

"A three-movie adaptation is in the works, to be produced by Scholastic Entertainment in collaboration with New Line Cinema, which produced Peter Jackson's three-movie adaptation of 'The Lord of the Rings'.  A script for the first volume has alread been written, by Tom Stoppard".

(excerpted from The New Yorker magazine, Feb 2, '04, p. 28-31)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »

It goes on to say, "They were probably not aware...that the books are inteneded as an answer to Milton, and an attack on Christian theology and the Church.  The story includes the death of God.

Sounds like it's a true statement... Undecided

http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-pullman-philip.asp

In the author's words:
"While we're on religion; the theme, if you like, of "His Dark Materials" is the search for a way of looking at these big religious questions which might be called republican. My own belief is that God is dead, but that we need heaven nonetheless; and since it's no longer possible to believe in a Kingdom of Heaven, we shall have to create a republic."

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »

Lips Sealed
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 10:34:56 PM »

You need to read a book before you condemn it.

I've read some of Pullman, because people kept recommending Northern Lights to me. I must say I wasn't overly impressed. There are better children's authors.

However, I didn't notice anything anti-Christian about it particularly. Your standard fantasy format, enlivened by plagiarism from better authors. If children see no harm in reading it, then they will come to no harm. Except, of course, if adults tell them about it Smiley

In any case, you want books to protest about? I can point you to overtly Wiccan children's books, and to the most wonderful author, who uses a lot of folklore and ancient magic stuff in her work. I see no problem with it, but some might.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »

You need to read a book before you condemn it.

Why is it I can never remember this argument when people tell me quoting Bible verses is pointless?

If children see no harm in reading it, then they will come to no harm. Except, of course, if adults tell them about it

Now what kind of a philosophy is THAT?  --Wait!  Don't tell me.  I don't think I want to know.   Lips Sealed

who uses a lot of folklore and ancient magic stuff in her work. I see no problem with it, but some might.  

*sigh*  Will it NEVER end?   Huh

Tongue
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »

Why is it I can never remember this argument when people tell me quoting Bible verses is pointless?

Well I hope that is not aimed at me, as you know I have read the Bible.

Now what kind of a philosophy is THAT?  --Wait!  Don't tell me.  I don't think I want to know.   Lips Sealed

It is a pragmatic philosophy Smiley Most things are harmless in themselves, it is their abuse that harms. You'd probably recognise the argument best from your gun lobby.
If kids are old enough to recognise things in those books as, I don't know, hidden anti-religious messages, then they are old enough to avoid them. If not they won't see them

Did you know this idea of dangerous books, books which will change your opinions and change you actually comes from witchcraft? Cheesy

*sigh*  Will it NEVER end?   Huh

I have no problem learning about my culture personally. It is, after all, my culture, my heritage.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:35:42 PM »

I have also read the first two books in the trilogy, The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife.  The third, The Amber Spyglass, is the only novel out of the three that is said to be anti-religious.  Since I was young when it came out, I decided against reading the third book for fear that it might change my mind about christianity.  However, the first is a facinating story, well thought out and addicting, although I thought the second one was a bit disapointing.  It deserves a re-read though.  I spoke with a friend who is also christian about The Amber Spyglass, one of her favorite books, and she said there really wasn't enough to really damage the christian faith, they were more like subtle hints about the author's own beliefs.  However, it deserves first hand reading.  It's not like LOTR for many reasons, but it still is a good yarn.  

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
merlyn

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 02:10:06 PM »

hi, I stumbled across this thread/board, and wondered what you guys think of the archbishop of canterbury's statements this week saying that he thinks His Dark Materials should be part of religious education? He asks, "Should teaching about religion include teaching about its critics? There is every reason for seeing this as a good thing. Clarifying objections is one way of clarifying what is being claimed."

Personally I love the books, and I'm a Christian.. I think Pullman's argument isn't against belief in God, but rather against how sometimes human beings have corrupted the idea of religion, and used it as an excuse to do evil.

Read more about His Dark Materials at http://www.bridgetothestars.net
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 02:12:14 PM by merlyn » Logged
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 03:22:25 PM »

Well certainly truth is clarified by any nontruth in contrast to it.  But does this mean I indulge the nontruth?

artputey

Godless heathen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 04:57:40 PM »

In my opinion, Phillip Pullamn is one of the best childrens authors around and His Dark Materials is his best work. If it gets children asking questions then i think it is a good thing.

I've got no hands to tie behind my back
And I'm sparkin' like a heart attack
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the