Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Authority is Ours!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Authority is Ours!!  (Read 3612 times)
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2003, 11:58:33 AM »

quote BEP:
I will simply ask you to please not stand in traffic or in front of a train. Please don't play with snakes or drink poison. You are just a man and will physically die, end of story.
Please don't sell tickets for moving a mountain. Try moving a paper clip first. You can't do it, regardless of how strong your faith is. Brother, you are a victim of fraud and deception that is not of God and not from God. I will be praying for you.

Matthew 4:7
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Me:
I would ask you the same.
quote BEP:
There was a time some 2,000 years ago that God allowed chosen vessels to perform great works in HIS NAME. Almighty God had a purpose and time for allowing this, and that purpose and time has passed.
Me:
What verse says that?
quote BEP:
Almighty God performs HIS WILL at HIS pleasure and HIS time, not at the command of men of today.
Me:
Men cant not command the authority of God.God works threw men for the Glory of God.
quote BEP:
Almighty God has the Authority, not man.
Me:
Amen,praise God!Does God work threw men?Have you ever heard his voice?Heres a story i heard once.There once was a young man who beleived in God,while he was at church he prayed to God to hear him.Nothing happened that night or for the next few weeks.About 4 weeks later on his way home from church he felt something telling to go to the store and buy a gallon of milk,at first he was like hrmmm.Then he realized as he spoke out loud to God that God was speaking to him.So not wanting to miss this chance he obeyed.He gets back in his car and out loud hes says i got it,then nothing else,so he goes on going home,then he felt the urge to turn left at a street he never used,so he did,then he was prepelled to stop in front of a house,so he did.As he sat there confused not sure,he was moved to take the gallon of milk to this house with no lights on late at night.He knocked on the door scared that the people would be mad,as he stood there he heard screaming and yelling,so he turned to leave as he did the door opened and the man said what do you want?He handed the man the milk,and the man burst into tears and said i didnt know how we were gonna make it,the baby is cring and we had no milk for her so all we did was pray.
I know iam leaveing some out of the story,because i dont remember all of it,but i think you get the point.

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 01:02:29 PM »

3Wells,

There is no alteration of Scripture. It's really a very simple matter of who the Scripture is directed to, for what purpose, and for what time.

There is no denial of the awesome might and power of Almighty God. There is a denial that men have HIS power.

There is no denial that Almighty God has complete Authority over all. There is a denial that man commands this authority.

I can only assume by your last post that you have faith greater than a mustard seed. Just the plain and simple truth, you can't move a paper clip either.

There are many today who still look for the miracles, signs, and wonders as a prerequisite for faith. There are others who claim to perform those miracles, signs, and wonders in the name of Almighty God. They are frauds and deceivers - the truth is not in them. Almighty God performs HIS WILL at HIS pleasure and HIS time, not at the command of men of today.

There was a time some 2,000 years ago that God allowed chosen vessels to perform great works in HIS NAME. Almighty God had a purpose and time for allowing this, and that purpose and time has passed.

In Christ,
Tom  

Tom,

You can assume about me whatever you want and make dogmatic claims about who and for how long the words of the Bible apply. That does not make it true. Let the reader take note of the fact that in neither of these cases do you supply any evidence, in the form of scripture or otherwise. You think Jesus words were only meant for a certain time. Good for you! But once again I choose to believe Him rather than you:

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away"

For the record: I don't need to move a paperclip to prove that what Jesus said is true. I believe it - without any prerequisites!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 01:07:48 PM by 3wells » Logged
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2003, 09:06:01 AM »

I would probably be wise to stay out of this discussion, but I cannot resist  Grin

Its clear that some here do not see eye to eye here.

Lets make it simple.  
1. There is no doubt that there are phoney faith healers that are pure frauds.  
2. There is no doubt that God is able to do anything.
3. There is no doubt that God answers prayer.

None of these points should require any debating.

If I may offer a story that I assure you is true.

Many years ago, my Grandmother was diagnosed with Leukemia.  It had eaten a large hole in one of her lungs, and the doctor had given her only weeks or months to live.  Some ladies from the church came over to the house to pray for her one evening, and did so believing God for a miracle.  A few days went by, and my Grandmother returned to the hospital believing she had been healed seeking the doctors confirmation.   They took an xray of the lungs to find that there was no longer a hole, but rather a scar where the hole had once been.  Of course this was re-xrayed due to the doctors dismay.   Was this a miracle?   There is no other explaination.

There is no question in my mind, that God preformed a miracle that day.   Was it because it was Gods will?  No question.  Was it because of faith?  No question.   I have not studied the scripture about healing, so I cannot offer points or verses.  But I do know, that God still preforms miracles today, and faith is the fuel.   Seeing is believing in this case for me.

I have no doubt, that God still works miracles today.  He doesnt need man to do it, but there should also be no question that he works through men that are willing to yield to him for whatever his purpose is.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2003, 07:40:55 PM »

We have the Authority,who can deny this?Through Jesus people can and are still healed today.Miracles happen all the time.Demons are cast out in Jesus' name

The authority of the believer today is (a) the written Word of God (Eph. 6:17) and his or her power against Satan's attacks is "the whole armour of God" (Eph.6:10-18) which in essence is (b) the indwelling Christ (Eph. 1:19-23) who has all power [authority] in heaven and in earth (Matt.28:18).

However, signs, wonders and miracles had their own specific purposes:

1. TO PROVE THAT JESUS OF NAZARETH IS THE SON OF GOD and to GENERATE FAITH IN HIM

"And many other SIGNS truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book: but these are written that YE MIGHT BELIEVE that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of god; and that believing ye might have life through His name" (Jn 20:30-31)

"Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, A MAN APPROVED OF GOD among you by MIRACLES AND WONDERS AND SIGNS, which God did by Him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know..." (Acts 2:22).

2. TO PROVE THAT THE APOSTLES AND THEIR COMPANIONS HAD BEEN COMMISSIONED BY GOD TO PREACH THE GOSPEL

"And now Lord, behold their threatenings; and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy Word, by stretching forth thine hand TO HEAL; AND THAT SIGNS AND WONDERS MAY BE DONE by the name of thy holy child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the Word of God with boldness...AND WITH GREAT POWER GAVE THE APOSTLES WITNESS of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus; and great grace was upon them all" (Acts 4:29-33).

"How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard Him; GOD ALSO BEARING THEM WITNESS, BOTH WITH SIGNS AND WONDERS, AND WITH DIVERS MIRACLES, AND GIFTS OF THE HOLY GHOST, according to His own will" (Heb. 2:3-4).

Does God still perform miracles today?  Absolutely.  Does He use them as "signs" to authenticate the Gospel message today? That is debatable.

Signs were given to unbelieving Jews since the Jews always looked for a sign (1 Cor. 1:22-23), and Christ rebuked them very specifically because even after all His miracles, they still looked for a sign. Jesus said they would not believe "though one rose from the dead" and it is absolutely true.  Today Christians proclaim the Risen Christ, while Jews who cling to Judaism still reject Jesus of Nazareth, though He rose from the dead.

To the Gentiles and to the world today, the exhortation of Christ is thus" "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: BLESSED ARE THEY THAT HAVE NOT SEEN, AND YET HAVE BELIEVED". (Jn. 20:29).

Because we live in the "last days", we can be deceived by "signs and lying wonders" which emanate from Satan.  In fact, the Antichrist will use Satanic miracles to "authenticate" His power as "the Messiah".  So beware of signs and lying wonders today. Jesus warned us thus:"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS; inasmuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold I have told you before" (Matt.24:24-25).

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 06:02:28 AM »

3Wells,

There is no alteration of Scripture. It's really a very simple matter of who the Scripture is directed to, for what purpose, and for what time.

There is no denial of the awesome might and power of Almighty God. There is a denial that men have HIS power.

There is no denial that Almighty God has complete Authority over all. There is a denial that man commands this authority.

I can only assume by your last post that you have faith greater than a mustard seed. Just the plain and simple truth, you can't move a paper clip either.

There are many today who still look for the miracles, signs, and wonders as a prerequisite for faith. There are others who claim to perform those miracles, signs, and wonders in the name of Almighty God. They are frauds and deceivers - the truth is not in them. Almighty God performs HIS WILL at HIS pleasure and HIS time, not at the command of men of today.

In Christ,
Tom  

Thats how I believe, AMEN Brother

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 11:45:15 AM »

B.E.P. i was reading through some studies and this verse stuck out to me and really grabbed me..

Romans 9
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.16 So then [it is] not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

I know its by God' will not mans..Smiley

3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2003, 03:25:39 PM »

3Wells,

In Christ,
Tom  

Thats how I believe, AMEN Brother

Brother Love Smiley

So you also believe this:

"There is no denial of the awesome might and power of Almighty God.
There is a denial that men have HIS power.
Almighty God has the Authority, not man."

Despite the fact that the Bible clearly says this:

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." (Rom 13:1)

Even Pontius Pilate received his authority from God - according to Jesus! So who are you to say otherwise?

Do either of you really think that "having a form of godliness, but denying its power" has anything to do with people denying God's power? Who on earth having "a form of godliness" would say "God has no power"? Think about it!

Although it sounds religiously correct to say "God has AWESOME power" I don't think it has anything to do with what that scripture is talking about. Only an athiest would disagree with that statment!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 03:57:04 PM by 3wells » Logged
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 04:27:46 AM »

QUOTE 3wells:

Do either of you really think that "having a form of godliness, but denying its power" has anything to do with people denying God's power? Who on earth having "a form of godliness" would say "God has no power"? Think about it!

Who is denying the Power of God?
When I read your posts I feel like I am back in Sunday School.

Grace & Peace

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 04:40:53 AM »

QUOTE 3wells:

Who is denying the Power of God?
When I read your posts I feel like I am back in Sunday School.

Grace & Peace

Brother Love Smiley

You are misunderstanding me. I am not saying that you are denying the fact that God has power. What idiot would say otherwise?

The verse we were discussing is this:

"having a form of godliness, but denying its power"

If this verse has refering to God's power alone it would hardly make sense. It speaks about the power of godliness - that is, given to man in response to faith. The Bible prophesies that this power would be denied in the last days.
PhilKosba

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 09:02:34 AM »

Dear Jabez

There is authority. God has authority over everything in this universe because He created everything. A bishop/elder has authority over his diocese, a pastor/priest has authority over his parish, a father has authority over his family, a husband has authority over his wife, a company owner/boss has authority over his staff. There are political authority and authority in the spiritual realm.

But now, ALL authority in heaven and on earth is been given to Lord Jesus Christ. Hence He has given us (all those who believe, including you and me) the Great Commission with this authority of His Name, 'the Name above all names', to go and make disciples of all nations. This command of the King is still valid, and will be valid until He comes back to take us home to be with Him always.

A brother in another thread asked why Jesus asked His disciples to wait in Jerusalem based Luke 24:49. It is a good question. A brother answered to read Acts 1:1-9.

Look at all professional workers, they all have uniforms. A doctor has a uniform, a nurse has a uniform, an engineer has a uniform, etc. The greatest of all jobs is Evangelism. It is the most highly paid job in the whole world. We, the children of God, the believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, also need to wear uniforms before we get into Lords work. That is the reason why the Lord Jesus commanded His disciples to tarry in Jerusalem, until they receive their uniform. Read carefully the verse in Luke 24:49 - "And behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you;

-but stay in the city, until you are clothed with power from on high." (RSV)
-but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. (KJV)

As far as I have studied, there are two major Greek words used here, katisathe and dunamis. In essence, this verse means, "sit tight (don't get up), until you receive the uniform (which is miraculous power)". Also read Acts 1:8 here. Without this you can not be His witness.

Suppose an athlete finished first in a race in the Olympic games but did not get the medal (was disqualified) because he changed his track by mistake. We are all runners in the Christian race. We need to finish our race and get the rewards. What if you will be denied your reward on your judgment day because you ran in wrong track? What if you don't get the right reward after doing a lot of great works for the Lord because you did not wear proper uniform? Will you be able to come back to earth and do it again? Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow.

Anointing of the Holy Spirit is what you need Jabez. Don't get satisfied thinking that you have received the baptism in the Holy Spirit when you accepted Jesus. Anointing does unusual things. That is your authority from above. Some have grasshopper mentality and others are like the old fox that said the grapes are sour. Don't listen to their verbal acrobatism. They know a lot of 'information' from the Word but that will only discourage you. Speak encouraging and gracious words, seasoned with salt. The sign of the age is lack of the 'fear of God'.

Both the Names, Messiah and Christ, mean the Anointed One. This comes from Chrism/Chrio which means "to smear or rub with oil". Oil stands for the Holy Spirit. God rubs His power on us which we lack in our Christian life and our ministry. That is the anointing. Anointing breaks the yoke. Like the Psalmist, we need fresh anointing everyday with new oil.

The disciples had to wait/tarry because the Holy Spirit had not come at that time. But now, it is not the situation. He is already here, since the day of Pentecost (making up the Bride, until the Groom comes and calls her home). Now is the dispensation of the Holy Spirit. Ezekiel 47:5b "--and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over."

What you need is thirst to drink. "--how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (Luke 11:13b) Ask, the Mighty Baptizer will fill you. And you will drink and will overflow. Rivers of living water will gush out of your innermost being, your koilia, and you will speak in tongues. Jabez, I see great zeal in you for the Lords work. I have watched your growth from the first thread to this one. GO for it, and RECEIVE it. Then, "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee."

All the gifts of the Holy Spirit are still in operation. They are not ceased yet. When there will be no more works to do(?), then the gifts will be ceased. Think about 'Uzzah'. In our eyes, he did the right thing, touching the ark 'in an attempt to prevent it from falling off the cart'. But God's wrath fell upon him and he instantly died. David was stunned and upset by God's anger. To please God, we must do His work His way. So never say, I don't want this gift or that because some people misuse it. It can grieve the Holy Spirit. And it could be a dangerous play because it is in Him we are sealed for the day of redemption. God instituted them for the success of His workers. Because the whole world is in the power of the evil one.

"In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33b; 2 Tim 3:12, etc.) Tribulation and chastening are there. Sickness and bondage are there. They are in the menu. But praise God, divine healing and deliverance are also here for those who believe in it. Several times I have experienced divine healing and I enjoy it. I believe what Bro. Timothy wrote above about his grandma's healing from leukemia. Jesus came to do the Will of His Father and the Will of His Father is that we be healed. Jesus healed all those who came to him. [Actually hospitals must be closed and sick should be healed in the church, by pastors and priests by laying hands on them, giving all glory, praise and honor to the Lord Jesus.] The Lord is Jehovah Raafa, the Lord that healeth thee. He is the Deliverer. Many people think the miracles have finished by deaths of the apostles. No. My God is a God of miracles, His Name is Wonderful, He never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. A person when accepts Jesus, he is being delivered from the bondage of Satan. This is the initial deliverance (the Truth setting us free). Many people come to the Lord through miraculous healing and deliverance.

You are correct regarding John 14:12. You will do first the work the Lord did, and then, greater works because the Lord said, "the Father is greater than I". (14:28b) and He is interceding for us at the right-hand side of the Father. But you need the anointing.

Love must be above all. Take out the word "love" from the five verses (4~8) of the Love Chapter and replace it with your name, and see how it works in your life. Go for practical Christianity Jabez. Don't look at men, all will have to give account one day for what they say and do. Look at the Lord Jesus, Who is the Author and Finisher of faith and do your calling. But when you become a great servant of the Lord, always remember, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'" (Luke 17:10)

The Lord's call is still on, Is anyone thirsty? He, who has an ear, let him hear!

All glory to my Lord Jesus!
Blessings in the Lord!

(attributes to verses added.)

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2003, 07:15:22 PM »

Philippians 2
9-Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:10-That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;11-And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Acts 4:12
12-Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
John 16:23-24
23-And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.24-Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

Need more proof of Authority?

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2003, 10:59:04 AM »

Are we in agreement?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the