Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Galatians Bible Study
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Galatians Bible Study  (Read 54498 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2003, 09:40:36 AM »

As we understand the basis/perversion of that form of Judaism, we can glean an understanding of Paul's vehement rejection of this other gospel.  It was a perversion!  The Law always pointed to a coming Savior, until the Pharisees made it the saving factor.  Paul set the record straight, and was not about to have it made crooked again!

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Allinall,

AMEN!

Again, I really enjoyed your post, and thanks for adopting some of these subjects that really add detail, color, and truth to Paul's love and almost all-consuming dedication to the Gospel of God's Grace. It also helps to understand many of the statements Paul made in his writing. It's simply another way for us to enjoy, appreciate, and love the GOOD NEWS of the GOSPEL OF GOD'S GRACE.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2003, 10:28:10 AM »

Would it be posible?? To state ones views simply and move on.

I would like this 'thread bible study' to continue , not getting  hijacked.

I believe there is one gospel that  is how i read scripture.

Poster A may believe two

Poster B maybe more.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2003, 12:50:58 PM »

Are we agreed that the scriptures teach only ONE gospel?

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba,

The Gospel of the Grace of God revealed to the Apostle Paul is the only GOOD NEWS about how men of today can be released from the bondage of sin and death and be born again as a child of God (Saved).

In Christ,
Tom

AMEN! Brother Tom,

The Gospel of the Grace of God, is not in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.  

Brother Love Smiley

Amen Brother

1 Corinthians 15:1.  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2.  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3.  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Only Paul preached Gospel (Good News) of the Grace of God.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2003, 08:20:28 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

First, I must tell Ambassador4Christ that I selected my references of 1 Corinthians 15:1-3 before reading his post. Brother, I looked at your post and wondered what the chances were in me selecting the same references for Galatians 1:11-12. I might add that I don't believe in chance. That was the Scripture reference I felt led to use.

Galatians 1:11  But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Galatians 1:12  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

The Galatians had run a course with false teachers. Paul's tone changes from harsh to one of affection, and for the first time in the letter addresses them as brethren. This is normally in the start of the letter, not after a harsh rebuke. Many scholars believe Paul uses the term "brethren" as hoping well of them, hoping they were born of God, and hoping they were heirs of God's Grace. Paul attests and affirms (certify) that the Gospel he taught them was revealed directly to him from Jesus Christ, not taught to him by man as some had accused. In fact, those Galatians who strayed did so because of the contrary teachings of men. Paul rightfully makes a dramatic comparison between the doctrines of men and the revelations of Christ. See 1 Corinthians 15:1-3 and Ephesians 3:3-8.

1 Corinthians 15:1  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Corinthians 15:2  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:3  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Ephesians 3:3  How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Ephesians 3:4  Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Ephesians 3:5  Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Ephesians 3:6  That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Ephesians 3:7  Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
Ephesians 3:8  Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

I have considerable material almost ready to post. Please forgive the delay. I'm having some problems with my old computer. However, the duct tape and baling wire have it going again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2003, 08:34:02 PM »

I would like  understand this.

I am seeing the Gospel of Christ being divied in these posts.

If Matt Mark Luke John,  and Christ himself did not preach the gospel of Jesus Christ what did they preach?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2003, 08:39:05 PM »

Amen Brother

1 Corinthians 15:1.  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2.  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3.  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Only Paul preached Gospel (Good News) of the Grace of God.

Oklahoma Howdy to Ambassador4Christ,

Brother, this is a beautiful portion of Scripture I used in the post I just made. I promise that I didn't try to steal your thunder.   Smiley

It is important for everyone to realize that the Apostle Paul also preached the Gospel revealed to him directly from Christ to the other Apostles. Not only did the other Apostles accept Paul as an Apostle, but they also accepted his teaching and correction. There was power in the message from Paul that the other Apostles recognized as a Divine revelation from Christ HIMSELF. Otherwise, why would the multiple and first Apostles accept Paul and his teaching? The answer lies in the fact that they knew Paul's teaching was from God.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2003, 09:43:20 PM »

Reba,

I think some of the difficulty you are having may be in the word gospel.  The word, as you know, means "good news."  There can be many good news..es...ok, so that's not a word but you get my drift.   Smiley  B.L. and A4C aren't proposing another salvific gospel.  Rather, they are differentiating between the gospels presented.  Christ, afterall, preached another gospel, the gospel of the kingdom.  Paul preached the gospel of grace.  Now, are these totally different pieces of good news, or are they different approaches to the same good news?  I hold to the latter, differing approaches.  Christ was preaching to the Jews, as the Messiah, the King of Israel after the line of David.  His was a message of the kingdom with Himself as the King.  This is completely in line with the gospel message as a whole, only it points more to the Kingly Messiah, than the grace God gave in giving that Messiah.  He was pointing to Himself as Messiah.  Paul pointed to the grace of God as displayed in the salvation offered by that Messiah.  Two differing aspects of the same, God given and God ordained message.  Does this help?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2003, 09:50:59 PM »

The Holy Bible makes it exceptionally clear that Paul never forgot his persecution of Christians and how God loved him anyway. This may partially explain the three years Paul spent in Arabia after his conversion. It is not explained what Paul did with these three years.

Thank you Brother Tom!  As for the 3 years Paul spent in Arabia, I do believe there is an explanation.  I'll have to get back with you on the supporting scriptures though.  As for what he was doing in that 3 year period?  Gaining his apostleship!  Remember, to be an apostle, one was given a message by Christ Himself to give to others.  Christ called Paul to be an apostle to the Gentiles.  Interesting part here, but wouldn't Paul have been more qualified to be an apostle to the Jews?  God uses us where we are often most useless for His glory.  Anywho, Paul also testified that he received teaching from Jesus Himself "after the time" or some such wording.  I tend to believe that he was in the Desert Theological Seminary for those 3 years getting his M. Div!  I could be wrong though.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2003, 11:13:34 PM »

The Holy Bible makes it exceptionally clear that Paul never forgot his persecution of Christians and how God loved him anyway. This may partially explain the three years Paul spent in Arabia after his conversion. It is not explained what Paul did with these three years.

Thank you Brother Tom!  As for the 3 years Paul spent in Arabia, I do believe there is an explanation.  I'll have to get back with you on the supporting scriptures though.  As for what he was doing in that 3 year period?  Gaining his apostleship!  Remember, to be an apostle, one was given a message by Christ Himself to give to others.  Christ called Paul to be an apostle to the Gentiles.  Interesting part here, but wouldn't Paul have been more qualified to be an apostle to the Jews?  God uses us where we are often most useless for His glory.  Anywho, Paul also testified that he received teaching from Jesus Himself "after the time" or some such wording.  I tend to believe that he was in the Desert Theological Seminary for those 3 years getting his M. Div!  I could be wrong though.

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Allinall,

Cheesy  The "Desert Theological Seminary" is most likely what Paul did with those three years. Maybe you missed it, but my conclusions were the same right after the quote you have above. (See below) I love the way you put that, "Desert Theological Seminary". I'm still working on part three about the Apostle Paul. I found numerous sources from various Bible scholars that indicate this is exactly what Paul did with those 3 years. However, I haven't found a source that gives chapter and verse about the details of Paul's "Desert Theological Seminary".  Cheesy  I'll have to share this with my uncle who lives, breathes, and preaches the writings of the Apostle Paul.

This may partially explain the three years Paul spent in Arabia after his conversion. It is not explained what Paul did with these three years. In looking at the life of Paul, many Bible scholars believe that Paul probably spent those three years in devout study, prayer, and seeking God's will for the rest of his life. Paul's life becomes Christ centered with everything else of little or no significance.

Brother, if you do find more specific information about this 3 years, please share it with me. All of the material I've studied so far indicates Paul simply disappeared into Arabia without many details. Paul is noted for historical details, but maybe this time was too personal to record, a time simply with God. In terms of details, the following Scripture is all I know of, and they are fairly vague. "I conferred not with flesh and blood:" indicates the conclusion of solitude with God in preparation for his ministry.

Galatians 1:16  To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
Galatians 1:17  Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
Galatians 1:18  Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2003, 07:14:25 AM »

Was not Luciffer created PERFECT? And he was in Eden the garden of God! 'Thou [hast been] in Eden the garden of God' ... 'Thou WAST PERFECT in thy ways from the day that thou wast created' ... 'IWILL DESTROY thee, O covering cherub' ... 'I WILL BRING thee to ASHES'! (Try Eze. 28:13-19)
That's true, John!

Did Christ lead this saved one to sin?? No more than the 'No condemnation' ones in Rom. 8:1. These must HAVE A STARTING POINT, of PERFECTION, and then a MATURING process to develope a CHARACTER safe to save for ALL of their eternity. (see Nah. 1:9) 'If' they USE the Eternal provisions at their asking! Phil. 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9. That is the EVERLASTING GOSPEL TRUTH!!! (all else is to be eternal ashes!)
Good point!  Smiley  

Then, most 'youngins' in the true fold have come to realize that Adam & Eve were also created, but not just good, but, VERY GOOD! (PERFECT) IN CHRIST! Sinless! Yet, still it seems that they were not dead mentally to think, they were able to make FREE choices! MATURE.

Case in point is that God does not change, He is the same YESTERDAY, today and forever! He created a tree in the MIDST of the Garden of Eden... WITH INSTRUCTIONS!!! WHY DID HE DO THIS??? [THINK!!!}
AMEN!

There, & only there, it seemed, was where the serpent could TEMPT them.
Who was the serpent? The Word tells us in Rev. 12:1-12 if one 'believes' in the Master's WORDS? And in His Words of Matt. 4:4 & 2 Tim. 3:16's TRUE Hermaneutics, instead of the 'arm of flesh'?

By the way, does anyone 'here' know what the Covering Cherub of Eze. 28 was? And what was (IS) under the two of these in heaven? And what the Ark of God has inside of it in heaven? And what MERCY SEAT COVERED THE ARK??? Does anyone [BELIEVE IN CHRIST] enough to BELIEVE IN ALL OF HIS WORD??? "IN CHRIST".. Rom. 8:1?Huh
Awesome, John! I have never heard it that way before. I know that the earthly temple was patterned after the heavenly one, but it had never occured to me the sober meaning of the cherubim. Do you know, I'd actually thought they were just decorations?  Tongue

How could the angels in heaven have a REBELLION with NO EVERLASTING COVENANT CONDITIONS? Heb. 13:20! Or how could Adam & Eve sin without an Everlasting Covenant? These are Once Saved Alway Saved? Read on for Rev.'s last few verses!!

Then: How could God HAVE 'A MERCY SEAT' WITHOUT THE ETERNAL EVERLASTING GOSPEL??? Rev. 14:6!!! That is what THE HEAVENLY MERCY SEAT IS ALL ABOUT!! GOD SAYS: "MY [WAY] IS IN THE SANCTUARY"!!!! Psalms 77:13.

ALL that [followed Christ] (IN CHRIST!) were SAVED BY FAITH! Heb. 11:13. There has N-E-V-E-R been any other way to be SAVED OR TO REMAIN SAVED EXCEPT BY CHRIST! That IS THE EVERLASTING GOSPEL!
He say: "WITHOUT ME YE CAN DO [NOTHING]." John 15:1-7 & the last part of verse *5! THINK ETERNITY! Both backward & forward. Hebs. world's' in the plural included.
John 1:1 "In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Rev. 3:14 Christ is the "Beginning of the creation of God". Beginning, in this text, does not refer to something that was made, but something that was the source and origin of everything else.

Then in Closing, look at the Masters closing WORDS to us? He saved some & RECORDED their Names in the Book of Life, SAVED at that time! And HE TELLS US that if any ADD WORDS TO HIS "PERFECT" BOOK, OR IF ANY TAKE AWAY ANY WORDS FROM HIS PERFECT BOOK, THEY TOO WILL BE IN REBELLION AND [WILL] HAVE THEIR NAME REMOVED FROM THE BOOK OF LIFE!! (Rev. 22:18-19 or see Exodus 32:33)

"I KNOW THAT, WHATSOEVER GOD DOETH; IT SHALL BE FOREVER: [NOTHING CAN BE PUT UNTO IT, NOR ANYTHING TAKEN FROM IT], THAT MEN SHOULD FEAR BEFORE HIM." Eccl. 3:14

---John

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2003, 07:18:10 AM »

Reba,

I think some of the difficulty you are having may be in the word gospel.  The word, as you know, means "good news."  There can be many good news..es...ok, so that's not a word but you get my drift.   Smiley  B.L. and A4C aren't proposing another salvific gospel.  Rather, they are differentiating between the gospels presented.  Christ, afterall, preached another gospel, the gospel of the kingdom.  Paul preached the gospel of grace.  Now, are these totally different pieces of good news, or are they different approaches to the same good news?  I hold to the latter, differing approaches.  Christ was preaching to the Jews, as the Messiah, the King of Israel after the line of David.  His was a message of the kingdom with Himself as the King.  This is completely in line with the gospel message as a whole, only it points more to the Kingly Messiah, than the grace God gave in giving that Messiah.  He was pointing to Himself as Messiah.  Paul pointed to the grace of God as displayed in the salvation offered by that Messiah.  Two differing aspects of the same, God given and God ordained message.  Does this help?
Thanks, Allinall! I was a little confused, as well, lol!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2003, 08:15:16 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I must apologize for some posts containing Strong's references. I didn't realize some of the Greek, Hebrew, etc. came out butchered and contained "?" for characters missing in the fonts. I don't know if I have a solution for this. My Bible study material shows all of the characters perfectly, but some of them are obviously lost and replaced with "?s" in the preparation of the post. So, please excuse this. I doubt I will spend the time in searching for fonts to fix this problem, at least not now.

In Christ,
Tom

John the Baptist
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2003, 08:18:22 AM »

Was not Luciffer created PERFECT? And he was in Eden the garden of God! 'Thou [hast been] in Eden the garden of God' ... 'Thou WAST PERFECT in thy ways from the day that thou wast created' ... 'IWILL DESTROY thee, O covering cherub' ... 'I WILL BRING thee to ASHES'! (Try Eze. 28:13-19)
That's true, John!

Did Christ lead this saved one to sin?? No more than the 'No condemnation' ones in Rom. 8:1. These must HAVE A STARTING POINT, of PERFECTION, and then a MATURING process to develope a CHARACTER safe to save for ALL of their eternity. (see Nah. 1:9) 'If' they USE the Eternal provisions at their asking! Phil. 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9. That is the EVERLASTING GOSPEL TRUTH!!! (all else is to be eternal ashes!)
Good point!  Smiley  

Then, most 'youngins' in the true fold have come to realize that Adam & Eve were also created, but not just good, but, VERY GOOD! (PERFECT) IN CHRIST! Sinless! Yet, still it seems that they were not dead mentally to think, they were able to make FREE choices! MATURE.

Case in point is that God does not change, He is the same YESTERDAY, today and forever! He created a tree in the MIDST of the Garden of Eden... WITH INSTRUCTIONS!!! WHY DID HE DO THIS??? [THINK!!!}
AMEN!

There, & only there, it seemed, was where the serpent could TEMPT them.
Who was the serpent? The Word tells us in Rev. 12:1-12 if one 'believes' in the Master's WORDS? And in His Words of Matt. 4:4 & 2 Tim. 3:16's TRUE Hermaneutics, instead of the 'arm of flesh'?

By the way, does anyone 'here' know what the Covering Cherub of Eze. 28 was? And what was (IS) under the two of these in heaven? And what the Ark of God has inside of it in heaven? And what MERCY SEAT COVERED THE ARK??? Does anyone [BELIEVE IN CHRIST] enough to BELIEVE IN ALL OF HIS WORD??? "IN CHRIST".. Rom. 8:1?Huh
Awesome, John! I have never heard it that way before. I know that the earthly temple was patterned after the heavenly one, but it had never occured to me the sober meaning of the cherubim. Do you know, I'd actually thought they were just decorations?  Tongue

How could the angels in heaven have a REBELLION with NO EVERLASTING COVENANT CONDITIONS? Heb. 13:20! Or how could Adam & Eve sin without an Everlasting Covenant? These are Once Saved Alway Saved? Read on for Rev.'s last few verses!!

Then: How could God HAVE 'A MERCY SEAT' WITHOUT THE ETERNAL EVERLASTING GOSPEL??? Rev. 14:6!!! That is what THE HEAVENLY MERCY SEAT IS ALL ABOUT!! GOD SAYS: "MY [WAY] IS IN THE SANCTUARY"!!!! Psalms 77:13.

ALL that [followed Christ] (IN CHRIST!) were SAVED BY FAITH! Heb. 11:13. There has N-E-V-E-R been any other way to be SAVED OR TO REMAIN SAVED EXCEPT BY CHRIST! That IS THE EVERLASTING GOSPEL!
He say: "WITHOUT ME YE CAN DO [NOTHING]." John 15:1-7 & the last part of verse *5! THINK ETERNITY! Both backward & forward. Hebs. world's' in the plural included.
John 1:1 "In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Rev. 3:14 Christ is the "Beginning of the creation of God". Beginning, in this text, does not refer to something that was made, but something that was the source and origin of everything else.

Then in Closing, look at the Masters closing WORDS to us? He saved some & RECORDED their Names in the Book of Life, SAVED at that time! And HE TELLS US that if any ADD WORDS TO HIS "PERFECT" BOOK, OR IF ANY TAKE AWAY ANY WORDS FROM HIS PERFECT BOOK, THEY TOO WILL BE IN REBELLION AND [WILL] HAVE THEIR NAME REMOVED FROM THE BOOK OF LIFE!! (Rev. 22:18-19 or see Exodus 32:33)

"I KNOW THAT, WHATSOEVER GOD DOETH; IT SHALL BE FOREVER: [NOTHING CAN BE PUT UNTO IT, NOR ANYTHING TAKEN FROM IT], THAT MEN SHOULD FEAR BEFORE HIM." Eccl. 3:14

---John

Me again: Hi, this Gal. study is a good one so far. For me at least it seems that there is a suggestion of another Gospel? Perhaps clarification is needed by that??

Anyway, here is something I posted up earlier on another forum that goes along with the ETERNAL CHRIST AND HIS ETERNAL GOSPEL. (With NO starting point or finishing point)
-----------------------------------------------------

MoJo wrote:
NB - (worlds) It sounds like your saying we're in the "matrix"?  

I don't understand your allusions. Could you please spell them out.  

Allusions?

Col. 1:14-17 "Who is the image of the invisable God" ... For by Him were ALL THINGS CREATED, that are IN HEAVEN, ... VISABLE AND INVISABLE, wheather they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: ALL THINGS WERE CREATED BY HIM AND FOR HIM: AND HE IS BEFORE [ALL THINGS], *AND BY HIM ALL THINGS CONSIST".

(Off topic! but read on for His established MATURE order verse 23 starts with an IF.)

Now: Other Worlds as in Heb. 1:2's last part of verse. Then a re/peat in Heb. 11:3 which is called.. 'WE believe through FAITH'. Even in Heb. 6:1-6 we see that these ones KNEW AND BELIEVED ALL OF THIS. "TASTED THE GOOD WORD OF GOD......"

You can read John 1:2. And *Titus 1:2?? This is the Everlasting Gospel Rev. 14:6 tells us about! Are you still with me?  If so, the MERCY SEAT in the heavenly Throne room represents the LOVE OF GOD in forknowledge. See Rom. 4:17's last part of verse.

Last one for now. Try **Psalms 33:6-9 This King James rendering say it all!

We are but a 'speck' that can be only measured by the death of Christ & Love of the GodHead to save us. Yet, there were much more at stake than just us involved. That too is why Christ became God/man! He PROVED that Adam's fall was not necessary!
"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGHT CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME" Phil. 4:13

"MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEE, FOR MY STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS" 2 Cor. 12:9

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2003, 08:19:15 AM »

Galatians 1:13  For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

G391 - conversation - Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
anastropheŻ - an-as-trof-ay' - From G390; behavior: - conversation.

Acts 22:3  I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
Acts 22:4  And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women.
Acts 22:5  As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: from whom also I received letters unto the brethren, and went to Damascus, to bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem, for to be punished.

Acts 26:9  I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.
Acts 26:10  Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.
Acts 26:11  And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

In times past, the behavior of Saul of Tarsus as a Pharisee gave him an infamous reputation as being a brutal and cruel oppressor of followers of Jesus Christ.  Paul admits this and knows that most know how he laid waste to the things and people of Christ.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2003, 08:23:01 AM »

Galatians 1:14  And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

G2454 - Jews' religion - Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
Ioudaismos - ee-oo-dah-is-mos'
From G2450; “judaism”, that is, the Jewish faith and usages: - Jews’ religion.

Philippians 3:4  Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Philippians 3:5  Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Philippians 3:6  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Paul/Saul is stating that he advanced to a high position and status in the Jewish faith and that he outstripped his contemporaries in zeal of the law.  Saul belonged to an extreme party of the Pharisees who called themselves "zealots of the law" or "zealots of God". It is important to note that many of the Pharisaic traditions were grafted into the law. This background will encourage Paul to make many comparisons in the future between the traditions of men versus the teaching of Christ and the Gospel. In fact, Paul develops a very low opinion of the traditions of men, much like Christ and Christ's thoughts about the Pharisees.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the