Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:10:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Joan of Arcadia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joan of Arcadia  (Read 7093 times)
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 11:52:00 PM »

Has anyone seen this show? It started last Friday.  I actually really liked it and am very interested in where they take it.

If you haven't heard of it ... the premis is this girl who goes to high school and God visits here in human form from time to time (usually a different body).

Think of it as an "Oh God" made for TV, brought up to current times and with a much younger twist.

I watched the first show and really liked it.  No, it doesn't preach the Gospel, or even mention Jesus Christ.  As in "Oh God" it actually hints that many heads of religions are His children.  I like the more laid back aproach they attributed to God in the first one.  I reserve the right to change my mind as the series goes on, but for a start ... it's not bad.  I am interested in hearing any other thoughts and for those who have not seen it ... it comes on Friday nights.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 05:33:20 AM »

I hated it, I would rather watch Benny Hinn Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 09:04:32 AM »

I agree that this show cannot be held up to a Christian standard or doctrine.  But it does address some very intersting questions with some pretty interesting answers.  I loved the one where "God" tell Joan to make something of herself and quit squandering her potiential.  Joan comes back with "What about that part about being humble and all" and "God" (I love this part) says "it's only humble if you're good at something."  

Humbleness is being good at something and not bragging about it because you know it is God doing it through you.  I know many Christians think that we shouldn't strive for greatness.  I see nothing wrong with striving for greatness if it is from the gift that God gives us.  We should whatever gift God has given us to the maximum potential.  As we do that be humble about it becuase we know the gift is from God.  I see it as this .... Be great and be humble.  Strive for the glory of God.

Yeah, this show doesn't talk about Jesus.  Yeah, it portrays a all religion in one "God" type of person.  But it addresses some very interesting points.  And ... if it can get people to "think" about God in knew ways, or in any way at all.  I think God can use this show, and "us" to use this as a vehicle to talk about God.  If you're talking to some friends and you wanted to very unabtrusively talk about God ... you could say "Hey, did you see that show 'Joan of Arcadia'?  What you think about 'God' when he said ....?"  My opinion is this show can be used as a tool to open discussions about God with unbelievers.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 03:24:38 PM »

Quote Romans 8_1:  My opinion is this show can be used as a tool to open discussions about God with unbelievers.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I agree Brother

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:52:04 PM »

I haven’t seen it. A few of my friends are boycotting it for it “sacrilegious nature.” Of course, these guys never even saw the show, but it is there convections, not mine.

Are the Portraying God as the Christian God, or a Syncretist God, or a Agnostic God, or what?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 01:13:21 PM »

I haven’t seen it. A few of my friends are boycotting it for it “sacrilegious nature.” Of course, these guys never even saw the show, but it is there convections, not mine.

Are the Portraying God as the Christian God, or a Syncretist God, or a Agnostic God, or what?
They are portraying Him kind of like God in the movie "Oh God".  I don't find it sacrilegious at all.  I think it is very tastefully done.  He is "suppose" to be the God of the Jews/Christians/Muslims.  Joan made a little joke about is God going to have her burst into flames and "He" ask "Where do you guys get this stuff."  then "He" makes a reference to coming off a little nicer in the Christian Bible and the Koran.  They have (for obvious reasons) stayed away from any one denomination or religion.  I doubt very seriously we will get into any Christian doctrines here with Jesus, but there have been some great questions tackled by this show so far.  And, I think they have been pretty well answered.  Is it perfect for us ... no.  But, if you watch it and give them a certain amount of leeway, you will enjoy it I think.  I can't remember the name of that show with Micheal Landon where he played an angel, but we all enjoyed that.  That wasn't necessarily a show explaining Christian doctrines.  But shows like this give us an opportunity to discuss God with people in a very unobtrusive kind of way.  like "Hey, did you see this new show.  What did you think of God's answer to the question of why doesn't He answer everyone's prayer they way they wanted Him to?  What'd you think of that answer?"  If give us great opportunities to casually talk about God to people that might be skiddish otherwise.  In my opinion, anything that gets people to think about God, is a good thing.
Emmaus_Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 09:30:24 PM »

Romans, for me, I don't like the show.  I don't see it in the same vein as the angel show with Michael Landon.  I don't like the song, "What if God was one of us" that it comes on with.  

I think what bothers me about it is this:  In some ways these types of shows are so subtle that they are actually more dangerous than, say, Marylin Manson, for example.  He is so offensive that it doesn't take much to see the problem.  The Joan of Arcadia show is much less offensive, and far more subtle, and thus, more mainstream.  That may be where the danger lies.

For dedicated Bible studying believers, the show offers no chance of deception.  It's just a lesson in how the world views God.  But for the unbeliever or the lazy believer, then it's amazing how many people will believe the "doctrine" of this show.

On the whole, other than the 10 curse words or so, the show is clean, which is more than can be said for most modern shows.  It's hard to find a show that is clean enough to watch anymore!

E_T
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:39:19 PM »

Mmm, thank, Emmaus.  Nice overview.   Wink

I haven't seen it.  But I was wondering about it.
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 01:42:20 AM »

I really like this show.  It has become one of my favorite shows on TV and I look forward to Friday nights.  I have been taping the shows and am going to use them in my Sunday night Sr. High classes.  I think they have awesome Christian lessons in there and they are presented in very unique poweful ways.  Except for the first show when "God" alludes that he is the "God" of many religions, I have not seen anything that contradicts Christianity.  If anything, I have seen it present God in very practical, useful ways.  

We have seen lessons of ...
1) God's timing
2) We are to look out for our neighbor
3) We don't always understand what God asks us to do and we don't always see the ramifications of obedience till later
4) Why God does not answer all prayers in the affirmative
5) and many others

We have seen these presented (I would argue) from as a God of Christianty would want them presented.  I absolutely love this show.  I love the Christian lessons taught and I love the way they are presented.  There is only one thing lacking .... Christ.  Please don't get me wrong and I am not downplaying this at all.  Christ is the central figure in our beliefs.  Without Christ ... we are still lost and running in vain.  

But know this ... there are many people that don't believe they need a savior and/or don't believe in God.  We have shows that preach Jesus all over ... they come on every Sunday morning.  The people this show is intended to reach are the one who do not watch on Sunday.  This is called meeting them where they are at.  If they don't believe in God or know some of the basic ideas, it is very hard sometimes to preach Jesus.  Jesus was preach early in Christian history to people who already accepted there was a God.  We don't always find that now.

So, we give them God, and His primary lessons.  I believe a show like this will open so many doors to so many people.  It gets them thinking about God, where they wouldn't have before.  This will lead them to the next step because I truly believe God will work in their hearts through this show.   Some may say ... well the show should preach salvation and Jesus.  I can understand that.  But do you think these same people will watch it?  I don't think so.  That in turn will defeat the purpose of trying to reach this particular group.  

I have also stated before that this give a very low key introduction to converse to people about God without putting them on the defensive.  I say stuff like "What did you think about God asking Joan to live up to her potential?"  It sparks non-confrontational conversations.  I understand that some do not care and they think that we should be up in everyone's face with the cold hard reality of the facts.  That's not my style.  I like to meet them where they are at and be patient with them.  God was patient with me and God calls me to be patient with them.  I may plant the seeds ... I may water ... but I leave the growing up to God and I'm comfortable with that.

Look at the positives my brothers and sisters.  God works in amazing ways with all kinds of things.  I will take a show like this over 95% of what's on tv any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents.

Grace and Peace and Love to you all.
Emmaus_Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 04:46:59 PM »

Romans8_1, you have made some valid points about it being a door opener to conversations with unbelievers, cleaner than most other shows (I strongly agree with that!  I watch very little modern tv shows anymore.  It's TVland and history channel, etc, for me).

I have watched about 4 of the most recent Arcadia shows and I don't like them.  Perhaps I am hyper-sensitive over this kind of stuff.  I will tell you my main reasons.

1)  Several episodes ago "God" made a comment about the Bible and the Koran.  Like they are both "His" word and on equal footing.  That really sent my red alert sirens flashing because it just endorses the current fad belief that "all religions worship the same God...just in different ways".  

It would not have bothered me as much if the character who said it had been someone other than "God".  For example, (and this may be a double standard on my part), but the wizards and all of that in the Lord of the Rings movies don't bother me.  They are all just fantasy, and so all of that stuff is just entertainment.  Arcadia is just entertainment also, but one of the main characters is supposed to be "God".

2)  It bothers me to have a show about "God" and have 8 to 10 curse words per episode.  The fact that they are in there is proof that the producers have no concern for the One True God.  They are just producing their version of "god in a can".  What bothers me is that their man made version of "God" is supposed to be the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (and Allah too for that matter).  A show about God (even if it's a made up version of God) that likes to use curse words just offends me.

The funny thing is, I can watch other shows with cursing and they don't offend me as much.  We have a cuss-word blocking device on our television so we don't have to hear them.  But you can tell when one was there and it blocked it out.  There have been movies like "Windtalkers" (about the Indian Code writers in WWII), and at times the cuss-word blocker chopped out nearly every sentence!  That did not bother me as much as the fewer cuss words in Arcadia, because it was a war movie, not a show about "God".  

Again, perhaps that is my double standard.  But it's just disrespectful to have a show with a character that is supposed to be the Living God and have cuss words in the show.

There are some good lessons taught in the show as you mentioned.  But I kind of look at those as the good tasting kool-aid that is supposed to disguise the one drop of cynaide.  Satan is a deceiver and his favorite tactic is to mix a little bit of lies with a lot of truth.

I also had a similar problem with the "Touched by an Angel" show.  It was by far a cleaner show that other modern shows also.  But I felt the same about it too.

I guess if I were to use Arcadia as a discussion piece with an unbeliever, I would use it as a comparison piece between the secular view of God, and the Biblical view of God.  I would also point out the tactics of deception that are placed in there to make it look good, but then used to veer off the true path in a subtle manner.

Please keep in mind that I am just expressing my thought processes here.  I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  

E_T
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 10:15:25 AM »

I fully respect your position.  I simply have a different take on in it and that's what adds flavor to life.  It's be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.  The only time I get a little upset is when others want to take shows like this off when I really like it.  

As far as the cussing .... I don't have a big problem with that.  I'm not condoning it in any way, but I do accept that it is part of our society.  If you've been to high school lately, you will see how prevolent it is.  I remember in HS cussing like sailors.  It's not right, but its a fact.  Word/phrases/cuss words change with the times.  It's the language of the day.  I guess I just have a different tolerance for it.  Yeah, I do have a problem with my 2 year old and 5 year old hearing it and we do not use it in this house (although you should have heard me cuss 5/10 years ago).  We too have to watch what we watch on TV.  But so far JOA has kept it to a low count and I'm ok so far.  Just enough spice of the english language to keep it 'real' (as some would say).  As long as they don't have God cuss, then I'm cool.

As far as the Koran/Bible ... I agree with you.  It is a distorted view.  In a very literal sense, it is the same God.  They both worship the God of Abraham, but you and I know that this is where the similarities end.  I think they did that to 1) show that this God is not of anyone religion 2) just to get people thinking about God in a bigger sense.  I'm kind of ok with that.  I don't want to get hung up on this since I realize that this is not a Christian show.  It is a show about 'God' and how He interelates in our lives.  It is not and end-all and in know why defines our complete relationship with Him.  But if someone's been struggling with why doesn't God do miracles in their life ... then I think the explaination on the play ground with God as a little girl was perfect.  Some of their explainations to some of the big problems are very good and very Christian (without the 'Christ).  It gives a perfect inroad to talking about Christ.  I can say ... "You know then they said this ... well 'this' is what they really mean.  they just aren't talking about Christ in person, but this is what it refers to" or something like that.  So yeah, when you say you use it as a comparasion, I can see that.  But I don't use it as a complete opposite contrast.  I tell people that they're close, and then reveal the mystery to them.  Paul talks about feeding them like babies.  Many are not ready for meat, and we must be patient and feed them the bottle.  I see this as teh bottle vs other shows that are nothing at all.  I'll use this bottle for now and I pray for it's success.  If this show is successful, then maybe other shows about God (in good taste) will be created for prime-time.  Other shows have danced around God, but this one is kind of in your face about it.  Very cool.  So many shows do not get you to really think about your existance and purpose.  This show does.  If it gets some to think, then I say "praise God".  That is the first step to salvation.

Grace and Peace and Love to you all.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 03:45:40 PM »

Everything else aside, it does seem to be a show one can watch with out being carried into the filth of the world.
So far anyway. Of course they could always get carried away with the Hollywood junk and then the remote will be hit in the direction of either another channel or the off button.

Support your local Christian.
The Crusader
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 06:32:37 AM »

Everything else aside, it does seem to be a show one can watch with out being carried into the filth of the world.
So far anyway. Of course they could always get carried away with the Hollywood junk and then the remote will be hit in the direction of either another channel or the off button.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now Read:

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The Crusader
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the