Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  am i missing something here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: am i missing something here?  (Read 21815 times)
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2003, 08:03:06 PM »

Hi all.

Just a little question for everyone.

I was in my dorm room with my roommate and her boyfriend the other day (her boyfriend has been harassing me CONSTANTLY about everything - he's terribly cruel) so finally I got exasperated and told him that he was obligated to be nice.  The conversation went something like this (no exaggeration, I swear):

me: ____, you HAVE to be nice to me.
him: No, I don't HAVE to be nice to you.
me: Yes you do.  It has to do with what you do every Sunday.
him: I go to church.  What does being Christian have to do with this?
me: You're a Christian - you supposed to be nice to people and be a good person.
him: Nope.  All I have to do is accept Jesus.  I can be as mean to you as I like.  I just have to account for it when I die.  
me: So when you account for it, do you get in trouble?
him: Nope.  I just account for it and go straight to heaven.  You, on the other hand, go to hell.

And my roommate just sat there and nodded!!!  They were serious!!!  They basically said that ALL they have to do is believe in Jesus and BAM - straight one-way ticket to heaven!  Regardless of your character and morals!

Now...I KNOW the whole speech about "AAAA - being a good person won't get you into heaven.  You have to accept Jesus."  But I at least thought that accepting Jesus meant that you had to at least be a nice person as well.

Is this true?  Can my roommate's boyfriend harass me daily and make my life a living hell but once he gets to heaven, he says a little "oops - sorry!" and then goes right to heaven?

~AAAA
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 08:20:39 PM »

No, you don't have to be a nice person. None of us is always nice. BUT, if a person truly has the holy Spirit in him, the Holy Spirit convicts us when our attitudes aren't in God's will. He is alos right that we are accountable for our actions when we die. I suspect that either he was resentful of you trying to control him or, he really hasn't accepted Jesus.
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 09:20:01 PM »

AAAAmember;
    It's true that you have to belive, and accept Jesus Christ, but not all who say that they are christains are so.
    A true christains have the Holy Spirt in them and It leads them in there lives. As to your room mate, and her boy friend I would say they don't have the friuts of the Holy Spirt.

MT 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.
  MT 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by [his] fruit.
  MT 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
  MT 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:11:51 PM »

Forrest -

Well if that's true, then there's no way this kid's going to heaven.  He's making my life a living hell.  

~AAAA
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 11:17:40 PM »

It sounds like you might have to be doing the converting, AAAA.   Grin

Your friend(s) there are apparently just using the Jesus thing as a license.  Certainly lots of us around doing that--"Ye shall know them by their fruits".

Sorry about his giving you a hard time.  He's mad at you about something but ain't tellin'.

Christian behaviour is very clearly laid out in the epistles and by Jesus too:  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"...(somewhere in Luke...)...

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 12:10:46 AM »

Didn't you know? All you have to do is have faith to be saved. Works, sherks Wink Just ask Petro.

lol j/k

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 02:00:40 AM »

I really don't know what your idea of nice is nor how he's harrasing you.  You have claimed we harass you to be Christian.  I doubt this is what he is doing but a few things could be possible.

What are you saying to provoke it.  I am only hearing your side of things and based on your attitude in these forums I doubt you are shall we say "polite" to him.  You really don't seem to like openly Christian people so I wouldn't put it past you to make snide remarks and the like.  You could deffinately be a passive agressive.

Anyhow all that aside they could be young in faith, or quite simply not truly be saved.  If one has a new heart then they WILL NOT be the same as they were.  I only have a snipit of your conversation and know not how it has al lead to where it is.  You must've only just graduted last year, so I can't see you being in college for more than 2 months.  Getting yourself into trouble already.   Wink

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 02:02:19 AM »

I've known saved men who've left God and family to pursue their own lusts.  I've known saved women who have no problem gossiping to the point of actually tearing someone down.  I've seen pastors have to leave because of the accusations and slander of "believers."  Human beings are sinful whether saved or not.  Now, to rest in this position and behave presumptuously will have it's own consequences.  There is an account to be given for our actions on earth before our Lord some day.  That boyfriend will stand before God someday and give an account.  What he is doing is "wood, hay, and stubble."  Such things will be "burned away."  Do I mean a pergatory of sorts?  No.  But the passage is clear.  Many I've spoken with believe this to be the very gaze of God upon their sinful actions.  I even used to joke with my college roomie, that he'd be nothing more than a pile of ash before God someday!

May I ask what his harrassment is?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 07:51:22 AM »

Galatians 5:
14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Matthew 5:
44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

James 2
8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Luke 10:25-37 The Parable of the Good Samaritan

Mr. 5020

Proverbs 27:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 12:50:51 PM »

I've known saved men who've left God and family to pursue their own lusts.  I've known saved women who have no problem gossiping to the point of actually tearing someone down.  I've seen pastors have to leave because of the accusations and slander of "believers."  Human beings are sinful whether saved or not.  Now, to rest in this position and behave presumptuously will have it's own consequences.  There is an account to be given for our actions on earth before our Lord some day.  That boyfriend will stand before God someday and give an account.  What he is doing is "wood, hay, and stubble."  Such things will be "burned away."  Do I mean a pergatory of sorts?  No.  But the passage is clear.  Many I've spoken with believe this to be the very gaze of God upon their sinful actions.  I even used to joke with my college roomie, that he'd be nothing more than a pile of ash before God someday!

Well, this is true.  There is such thing as backsliding, you can be saved without doing works.

Mr. 5020
---------------
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 05:15:47 PM »

I really don't know if most people realize how much they sin everyday, including Christians. The idea that Christians are perfect is one of the most distorted notions in Christianity. None of us loves our neighbors all the time. ALL of us have lusts. The precept behind Christianity is that Christians are CONVICTED when we do such things and God slowly changes our hearts. Every time we open our mouths, we betray our humanity. That is why we need forgiveness so much. There isn't one perfect Christian among us except Christ. The biggest difference between Christians and non Christians is that Christians ADMIT they sin. If non -Christians would look at how much they sin and admit it, they wouldn't be so hard on us Christians. But instead, they are so involved with pointing their fingers at us, they don't have the time or the love from God to admit their sins. The expectation that Christians have to be perfect is a device used to keep from looking at their own sin.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 05:24:56 PM »

Hey AAAAmember

Tell your roommate and her boyfriend to keep up the good work.

"Grace & Peace"

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 05:30:57 PM »

huh, A4C?   Huh

Tibby, I think sherks is spelled scherks.

(hehe-- Cool)
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 08:11:38 PM »

huh, A4C?   Huh

Tibby, I think sherks is spelled scherks.

(hehe-- Cool)

Or a scher-zo, but then again its hard to know what tibby means, since his comprehension level is zero;

he swells up when informing everyone he is a college student, ...........it's hard to know if this is true...

Me thinks he has a swollen head..

Petro

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 09:44:54 PM »

Yes, maybe um,  scherks, like in schmuck??

(hehe--couldn't resist, tibby.  Just kiddin'.... Smiley)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the