Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Do You Believe What Paul Told Women To Do?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Believe What Paul Told Women To Do?  (Read 2895 times)
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2003, 10:00:46 AM »

I have come up against some pretty nasty women in my time but  recently I came across a group of women who believed Paul was still 'phariseeical' when he wrote the epistles and therefore his words mean nothing.  I agree with every word he wrote.  Especially about women and their place in the church.  And, that a man is head of the house.  I was just wondering if you do too?

God Bless, and Love

Tamara.
rafter

I give up all controversy with God He is right!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 03:17:27 PM »

To start with, I believe what Paul wrote in the epistle's was inspired by the Holy Spirit. It was God breathed, so I believe what Paul wrote was for us to follow. Now we may not completely understand the word, but it is true never the less.

My own opinion is this, When we don't agree with the word of God, it is because our carnal nature is in the way. And before anyone jumps on this as putting women down let me say this. We don't understand all the ramifications of what we do. We only see as looking in a glass darkly. The word of God gives us freedom and it does not enslave us. Only in Jesus can we truly be free, and we can only be His disciple if we are obedient to His word.

Be anxious for nothing, but in all things, through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests know unto God.
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 03:31:36 PM »

I do believe what Paul says.  I believe he was an apostle of God and that God spoke through him.  Paul also pointed out to us in some of his letters when he is speaking just his point of view and that the rest is the word of God.

With that being said, I also want to say that we must understand the context of what Paul is saying.  I personally do not believe that Paul means that no women can teach.  JMO.  I believe he was addressing a very particular problem in which women of a particular church where leading believers astray and were practicing un-Christian actions.  We know from other letters that Paul wrote that women were teaching and leading churches (or atleast held high places).  This is what I mean when I say we must make sure we understand who Paul is talking to and why he is saying something.  Especially if he doesn't re-iterate it in other letters.

Also, the part about women being submissive is a tricky doctrine also.  Not just because it's not PC, but because we have to read the rest of it.  From what I understand, Paul (both himself and from Jesus) talk about mutual submission.  Wives are to be submissive to their husbands, but husbands like to overlook the part where it says that we are also to be submissive to our wives.  We are to be subimissive to our employers, government, strangers on the street and family members.  Submissive, does not negate our value as a person in the eyes of God.  In todays culture, 'submissive' means inferior.  Some are so 'submissive', they are proud of it.  That is just as bad.   To be honest, the only way I can be submissive in the way Jesus wants me to, is to submit to Him.  Then we (Him and I) can be submissive to others.  It's nothing I am proud of, cause I could never do it.  

Anyways, Paul does talk about submissivness, but that is a positional thing.  Like there is a boss at work, there must be a positional head of the house. It in no way means the man is more important or superior.  If the man is doing what God is asking, then he won't be a tyrant, but will submit to the wife as well and alway think of her well being and love her to the extent that whatever decision he makes will be with her benifit in mind.  If a man abuses the power, then he is not being Godly.  This of course spawns a different conversation in "what to do when one party is not being Godly".  My point here is that man have abused this doctrine.  My other point is that we must also study what Paul says and not simply take it all on face value.  I can't recall off hand, but it was James or Peter that said that Paul's writing can be hard.  Paul was strong in the faith and was not always about feeding milk to babies.  We have to grow up a little as Christians to understand some of the finer points of his letters.  Some stuff is obvious and easy, some is not so much.

I hope I didn't ramble too much Smiley
bowser

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 04:27:21 PM »

I hope you don't ramble like on other boards....
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 05:54:57 PM »

Hi Romans & Rafter!

Thankyou for your input.  No ramblings, good post Romans!
I have a fondness for Paul's letters.  And, he is the apostle to the gentiles.
And, I do agree that every word in the Bible is the Inspired Word of God Himself.  That's why I agree with Paul and his stance on a woman's place beside her husband. (and not in front)
I also believe a man must love his wife and respect her,and likewise with the wife.  After all, woman was created from man's rib, and not from his foot bone.
The ribs enclose the heart and lungs.  Love and life.
It was also stated that Paul was proud.  I can't see that a man who went through as much as Paul could have much pride left!  I mean, let's face facts here!
The poor guy was off breathing fire & brimstone to get the christians and suddenly, wham!!  There was Jesus Himself!!
If that wouldn't change a person what would??On top of that he was blinded for a time! I won't go into all the rest or I'll be rambling.
Paul stood up for his rights the same as you or I would.  But, I truly believe he was perfectly chosen.  And, I thank God for Paul.  Without his letters, we wouldn't know very much about the Holy Spirit's work in the life of the true believer.
And if a married couple walk with the Holy Spirit's guidance...what can go wrong?
Love...Tamara.

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 05:57:04 PM »

I hope you don't ramble like on other boards....

No ramblings!!
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 06:23:36 PM »

These women are placing their own preferences above God's word because they don't want to submit. So they simply take the parts they don't like and say it isn't God's word. They're probably not Christians, because one of the most basic facts is that the Bible is the word of God. When you think about it, they're taking it upon themselves to determine what is and isn't God's word, thereby making themselves a greater authority than God. I'd find a new church.

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 08:44:16 PM »

Hi Whitehorse!
That is so true!  What they want is for the words of Paul regarding women taken out of the Bible.  I fear for that.  We need ALL of Paul's words as they teach us love and submission.
God is God.  We cannot take a word from the Bible, nor can we add to it.  But, man has a way of tampering with the word of God today.  Paul's words gently guide us in the right direction.  They guide us into love and respect.  He was a chosen Apostle who had not been by Jesus side while alive, but his wisdom has echoed throughout the ages.
I must confess, I have a deep respect for Paul.
This didn't happen to me in any church.  It happened on another "christian" site on the web!
Love...Tamara.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 01:47:51 AM »

Yes I agree with Paul.  It is important to note that he is referring to the woman's role of teaching men, and needing to be silent.  Not women teaching.  It is also important to note that when he says "in the church" that this isn't only the building and the service.  The word used there is ecclessia.  It refers to the body of believers, not the service time or the building.  Women, hence, are to remain silent in the church in regards to teaching men.  I think sometimes that's missed, and shouldn't be.  *Steps back and prepares to be plummeted*

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 03:10:47 AM »

Well, you certainly won't be plummeted by me All!! I agree entirely.  It is lovely to be guided and taught by a man of God, and seems so natural.
Love..Tamara.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 03:43:06 AM »

Amen sister!  Fortunately my wife agrees with me!  Grin

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 04:34:25 AM »

Amen sister!  Fortunately my wife agrees with me!  Grin

Well aren't you lucky!!

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2003, 04:44:54 AM »

I of course believe the bible and the words from Paul.  After all he did write like 2/3's of the NT, but hey, why should we give any credance to him.   Roll Eyes

Ithink that women get all caught up in not wanting to submit and totally miss the part where men are to die for there wives.  Women are not given this same command.  Also a woman should only choose a man for a husband if she fully trusts him.  After all the man is to love his wife as Christ loves the church.  That's a whole lot there.

If a women does not trust a man enough to make desicions for her in her best interest, then she should not marry this person.  This leads to my next point which is that people seem to usually marry for reasons based purely on the carnal and not the spiritual.  This will always lead you in the wrong direction.  

Two rules of thumb to me for men and women.  If the woman does not trust the man to be the head of the household it's not a good idea for her to marry him.  You need to completely trust your soon to be spouse.  If the man does not feel that he can make the best desicions for his family and is not willing to die for them, he needs to not move on with marriage.  If either person can't fulfill these two things they are not ready to be married.  Everything else will fall into place if both people are ready and willing to do their role in marriage.

How often do people forget this part of the vows?

To love, honor and cherish:
Though sickness AND in health
    For richer OR poorer
    Till DEATH do us part

If you aren't ready for those lines and ideas marriage is not for you.  I know plenty of people who part because of money and health.  Sounds like they didn't really mean it to me.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 05:01:23 AM »

I think there's another aspect of the wife's submission.  The man is the one who will answer to God for the actions of his children, as well as for his wife.  He is the responsible head of his family.  While each child and his wife are responsible for their own actions, the man is held responsible before God.  Why?  Because he is the head.  They are to respond to his leadership, as well as his teaching.  I've often said that you can tell the measure of a man by his children.  It is sadly true.  If the children do not serve God, the finger can be pointed to the father.  He may be the best pastor in the world, but he blew it at some point as a father.  

Our former assistant pastor faced this problem.  He worked very hard as a pastor, and as a father - but his boys strayed.  He resigned as pastor to devote himself to his boys and their straying.  I've never had more respect for any man than him and his decision.  It was his responsibility afterall.

I said all of this to say this: women who attempt to take the husbands role in leadership, do so ignorant of this aspect.  Sadly, many do so because the man is also ignorant of this aspect.  

I also believe that submission doesn't mean being tight-lipped!  In my marriage, I rely a great deal on my wife.  She is my help afterall, and not just as a house-keeper (we both fulfill that role btw)!  Many men make decisions without the counsel of their wives to their detriment.  I've often had a certain course laid that I felt was the right one, until I asked her and was made privy to God's leading.  I believe He did so through her and her openness to His leading.  Had I bold-faced decided without asking her, I'd have made a grave error - and would have taken the responsibility for it.

So, the man will answer for his family before God some day - not the wife.  But the man should never deny his wife's help in leading that family.  The decision lies with him, but the decision should be molded by both.

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 06:15:14 AM »

I agree but then to me that falls under making the right desicions as the head.   Wink  That never meant to make them all blindly or without council.  The captain of the ship, as head, makes the final desicions but that doesn't mean he doesn't consult his crew ever.   Cool

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the