Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35206 times)
smartinez1984

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2003, 09:09:16 AM »

My father was a pastor of a church from before I was born until I was about 20 years old. He was an uneducated man and the church he pastored was a Spanish-speaking, 20-ish member congregation housed in a 100'ish year-old building. I went from sleeping under the pews to playing guitar to eventually rebelling and leaving the church altogether.

I learned to read, speak, and write fluent Spanish by default, all the services were in Spanish, and I learned many historical things from the bible through my years in church.

However, I never understood how precious that book really is, at least not until 37 years later, the year my father passed away. I had been away from the church for so long, filled with hatred because of what I believed was a hypocritical religion that had taken the sight of my mother and the health of my father. My mother lost her sight due to glaucoma simply because she believed in faith healing and never went to the doctors until it was too late.

I could never understand how my father had put his life into the church, never failing, never backing down even though he was eventually too ill to care for the flock. He passed away 2 1/2 years ago after suffering horrendously through 2 heart attacks, a stroke, and lung cancer.

That same year I cried and began to search for answers. I found the dusty, taped-up bible, that my father owned for many years, so many of the pages just sitting in the bible, no longer held together by the original glue. His handwriting, in Spanish, misspelled words all over the place, was found on almost every single page of the bible.

I began to read and this time I began to LISTEN to what I was reading. The whole time I was telling God in my heart "I need to know what this is all about, what YOU are all about, I want to know YOU, I want to find the TRUTH about YOU"... and I read on and on...

I was frustrated, hurt... and then I came across this scripture:

Proverbs 2:1-5

1 ¶ My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2  So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
 3  Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
 4  If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
 5  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

And so I continue to seek today. I've asked questions on this website in hopes of garnering wisdom from those of you who have gained wisdom and understanding and I pray that someday I'll be able to match ya'lls depth of understanding. But, until then, and even if I never get there, I will continue to seek because, if not here, then THERE, I will eventually understand...

God Bless,

-Samson
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2003, 09:09:41 AM »

Babies are born with a sin nature, which means they do sin. Because they are not old enough to manifest it in ways big enough that we really see the problem, we tend to think they don't sin. But even our thoughts and emotions can be sinful. If something goes well for a good friend, are we happy for them, or do we try to outdo them, or do we get angry? How we handle this example is a matter of sin and righteousness. Two babies in the same crib can step on each other or fight over the same toy. This is sin. But in His mercy, God does not let them grow faster than they can be trained out of this. (They can't be trained out of sin altogether, or out of their sin natures, obviously. But they can be taught to live according to the Holy Spirit. ) Can you imagine if children were born tall enough to reach the door handle, tall enough to see over the dashboard, with the physical coordination of an adult...and then turn two?

Anyway: thought for the day:

What you worship is what you will become. Bob Coy

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2003, 10:29:28 AM »

Amen Tom!  I've posted this before, but the depth of that humility is what amazes me.  We are told in scriptures that all things made where made by Jesus, and upheld by Him as well.  I floors me how He Who made all things humbled Himself to be made, and even set aside the glory that was His, submitting Himself to be upheld - submitting Himself to die.  And not just any death, but the death of a criminal - the death of the cross!  Supreme perfection, and innocence being treated as though He had guilt, and even becoming sin - for me.  Humility like that deserves the glory that God has heaped and will heap even more upon Him.  Nice thought Tom.  Thank you!

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Brother, you are most welcome. It's hard for the unsaved to understand this precious truth. There are also some who make fun of this GIFT and ask why HE didn't use his mighty power to subdue HIS adversaries. The answer is in HIS MATCHLESS GRACE and a LOVE that is above all that mankind can imagine. Thanks be unto God for HIS unspeakable GIFT!

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2003, 10:51:14 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Smartinez1984,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I enjoyed your post. There is more than enough in the Holy Bible for many lifetimes of study. All of the answers we really need for our lives are there. It is indeed the LIVING WORD, and it speaks to God's children through the Holy Spirit when we study the timeless TRUTH.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2003, 11:04:11 AM »

Can you imagine if children were born tall enough to reach the door handle, tall enough to see over the dashboard, with the physical coordination of an adult...and then turn two?

Anyway: thought for the day:

What you worship is what you will become. Bob Coy

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I just spent some time with my grandsons, and the oldest will be 3 in December. I had a big chuckle with that last sentence in trying to imagine such a two year old toddler. To say that I had fun with them would be an understatement. I give thanks that they have parents who are bringing them up in the precious TRUTHS of JESUS.

In Christ,
Tom

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2003, 11:10:01 AM »

"Just a Thought"

I play semi-pro football,and this weekend sunday was the NFC championship game,as i sat there getting  dressed and ready i felt i didnt belong not because i wasnt able to play,but becaue of the language.Alot of curseing and such,i felt like a outsider.I geuss it was a moment it hit me hard.Before the game we all come togther and pray,and after the game both teams come togther and pray which is great!All for the glory of GOD.I just think to myself if we can come togther and pray why the curseing and rude language?Maybe its just me who feels this,i for one will not sircome to curseing and rude behaviors,my actions are to glorify the LORD.Iam not perfect.

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2003, 11:39:35 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Jabez,

Brother, maybe God has put you there for more than one purpose. Make it a matter of prayer and seek His guidance. Just a couple of thoughts: (1) maybe you tell them very nicely what their cursing means, (2) maybe you bring some Bible tracts to distribute on a regular basis.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2003, 11:57:48 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 7

Jesus, the Ultimate Example of Faith:

And now the LORD says, who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant . . . (for I shall be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and My God shall be My strength) . . . Thus says the LORD: "In an acceptable time I have heard You, and in the day of salvation I have helped You; I will preserve You."  (Isa_49:5 and Isa_49:Cool

Numerous times throughout these hundreds of meditations, we have examined the relationship of "humility and faith" to "growing in grace." Such repeated opportunities assist us in apprehending the means of living day by day by grace. "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble . . . we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand" (Jam_4:6 and Rom_5:2). For a number of days, we have been considering humility and grace. In a recent meditation, we saw that Jesus is the ultimate example of humility. Now, we turn to give considerable attention to faith and grace.

Concerning faith, we begin where we left off with humility — with Jesus as our example. Again, we will see that Jesus is the ultimate example of faith.

Our present verses are a prophecy involving the Father and His Son, the Servant Messiah, who would go forth to provide God's gift of salvation. "And now the LORD says, who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant." An angel would eventually announce this prophecy as coming to fulfillment. "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins" (Mat_1:20-21). The confession of the Messiah is also given here prophetically. "My God shall be My strength." When the Son would leave heaven for His incarnation, He would function by faith in the Father. The Father's reassuring words affirm this trust in Him. "Thus says the LORD: 'In an acceptable time I have heard You, and in the day of salvation I have helped You; I will preserve You'."

The fact that Jesus lived by faith in His Father was a part of His own teaching ministry. "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner" (Joh_5:19). Herein, Jesus (who had laid aside the independent exercise of His deity) was exemplifying how man should live in humble dependence upon the faithfulness of God.

Dear Savior, I humble myself before You, expressing my desire to grow in grace. I know that faith accesses grace. Lord, please teach me to place my faith in You, just as You fully relied upon the Father, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:05:25 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2003, 12:24:38 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 8

Jesus, the Ultimate Example of Faith's Results:

The Lord God has given Me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary . . . The Lord God has opened My ear . . . I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting. For the Lord God will help Me; therefore I will not be disgraced; therefore I have set My face like a flint, and I know that I will not be ashamed.  (Isa_50:4-7)

In our previous prophetic verses, we saw that the promised Servant of the Lord would undertake His Messianic mission through faith in His heavenly Father. " My God shall be My strength" (Isa_49:5). These verses depicted Jesus as the ultimate example of faith. Now, a corresponding prophetic passage reveals the blessed consequences of trusting in the Lord. Herein, we see Jesus as the ultimate example of faith's results.

Once again, the prophetic parties are the Messiah and His heavenly Father. The confessions of Jesus (trusting in the Father) comprise the prophetic statements. "The Lord God has given Me the tongue of the learned." Jesus was "discipled" day by day by the Father (certainly using, in part, His godly parents). "The Lord God has opened My ear." This equipped Jesus to minister to burdened lives: "that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary." In fact, people were amazed in general at the manner in which He spoke. "So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth" (Luk_4:22).

As Jesus would trust in the Father, He would also be prepared for the mounting difficulties that He would face. "I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting."  In approaching the cross, these prophecies of Jesus (and the enablement He found through depending upon the Father) were fulfilled. "Then they spat in His face and beat Him; and others struck Him with the palms of their hands" (Mat_26:67).

Though He knew all of this awaited Him before He came to Jerusalem that last time, He put His faith in the Father. "For the Lord God will help Me; therefore I will not be disgraced; therefore I have set My face like a flint, and I know that I will not be ashamed." The Father helped Him. He marched on resolutely to keep His redemption appointment at the cross. "Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem" (Luk_9:51). These are the wonderful consequences of faith.

Father, Your Son, my Savior, was prepared, strengthened, sustained, and used through faith in You. I need to experience in my own life these same blessed results of faith. Please build my faith, more and more, for Your glory and service, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:07:11 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2003, 01:44:19 PM »

That same year I cried and began to search for answers. .....

I began to read and this time I began to LISTEN to what I was reading. The whole time I was telling God in my heart "I need to know what this is all about, what YOU are all about, I want to know YOU, I want to find the TRUTH about YOU"... and I read on and on...

I was frustrated, hurt... and then I came across this scripture:

Proverbs 2:1-5

1 ¶ My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2  So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
 3  Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
 4  If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
 5  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

And so I continue to seek today. I've asked questions on this website in hopes of garnering wisdom from those of you who have gained wisdom and understanding and I pray that someday I'll be able to match ya'lls depth of understanding. But, until then, and even if I never get there, I will continue to seek because, if not here, then THERE, I will eventually understand...

God Bless,

-Samson
When God begins to draw us there is nothing we can do to stop it. Perhaps because of the intense prayer of your parents God has drawn you to Him.
I came about it in a different way but I also found myself having an intense desire to know the truth. I think you will find similar stories from many.
I was not raised in a church going family, but my Great-grandfather was a Methodist minister. While I don’t agree with the Methodist doctrine of freewill I do wonder if his prayers for his family found fruit with me. I am pretty much an island in this family of atheists and agnostics. There aren’t any “bad” people in my family but I know of none that truly seeks him.
When I decided to read the bible for truth Proverbs 2:1-5 was one of those passages that immediately engraved itself on my heart. It was nice to hear it has impacted your life also.
Considering how devoted your father was you might find this tidbit about John Newton interesting. I am working from memory, not too reliable, but I think I am fairly accurate.
Newton continued to preach in his 80’s, he was now blind. Someone would read from the bible and Newton would get angry when ever the reader would misread. I believe he preached until he died.
His story would make for an academy award winning movie, problem is it would be ’R’ rated. He acknowledged his mothers prayers for Gods action in his life.
He recognized it was all Gods work that he was saved, thus the song he wrote; Amazing Grace.  

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2003, 10:12:13 PM »

BEP, that sounds so awesome. I'm glad God has blessed you with those sweet children. Life would certainly be different without my nephew. He is a true treasure from heaven.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2003, 10:12:52 PM »

Today's thought:

I believe in the sun even when it is not shining.

I believe in love even when I feel it not.

I believe in God even when He is silent.

Written on a wall in a concentration camp

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2003, 10:30:05 PM »

Lips Sealed
Is that Lurch coming through the door or seeing through the eye? Or both?  Hardy har-har! This is not a thought but just silliness.

Grin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 10:32:04 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2003, 10:17:14 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 9

Growing in Grace through Living by Faith:

Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith . . . For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."  (Hab_2:4 and Rom_1:16-17)

In our four previous devotions on Jesus as our ultimate example, we concluded our series on "humility and grace" and began to consider "faith and grace." If we want to grow in the grace of God, we must live by faith, since faith accesses grace. "We have access by faith into this grace in which we stand" (Rom_5:2).

Our present, initial verse also builds upon our earlier studies on humility, which was repeatedly contrasted with pride. "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (Jam_4:6). Habakkuk was inspired of the Spirit to state the same truth in this form. "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him." James contrasted pride with humility. Here, the prophet concluded his statement by contrasting pride with faith. The proud person is depending upon himself. The humble person is willing  to depend upon the Lord. The humble person is the one who will be growing in the grace of God.  

This simple proclamation of living by faith is so profound that it is repeated in three strategic epistles in the New Testament. The first mention is in Romans in connection with the gospel of grace. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek." Paul was not embarrassed by the good news of the grace of God that was available in Jesus Christ. He knew that it was God's powerful truth that would save the soul of anyone (Jew or Gentile) who would believe in Christ. That message of grace offered God's righteousness to all who would believe. "For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith." The same righteousness that the law demanded, the gospel of grace provided. "But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God which is through faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all who believe" (Rom_3:21-22). The righteousness that people need (both for a standing in heaven and for a walk on earth) comes by grace through faith. Yes, initially and continually, "The just shall live by faith."

O righteous Lord, I praise You for the gift of Your righteousness, by grace through faith. My heart rejoices that I have a righteous standing before You in heaven above. My heart humbly cries out in faith for a daily impartation of that same righteousness in and through my life for a godly walk on earth below, through the grace of Christ, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:10:14 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2003, 11:53:50 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 10

Living by Faith Contrasted with Living by Law:

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them." But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "The just shall live by faith." Yet the law is not of faith, but "The man who does them shall live by them."  (Gal_3:10-12)

In our previous meditation, we considered God's call to live by faith, given through the prophet Habakkuk. "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith" (Hab_2:4). We also looked at the first of three appearances of this quote in the New Testament. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ . . . for in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." (Rom_1:16-17).The second appearance is given in Galatians, where living by faith is contrasted with living by law.

This contrast between law and faith involves a curse that is related to the law. "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." The curse is upon those who attempt to establish an acceptable relationship with God based on human works, as measured by God's holy law. The accompanying Old Testament quote explains the curse. "For it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them." The curse is that those who choose to live by human performance under the law must always accomplish everything the law commands. Performance of some of the law's demands some of the time is unacceptable.

This comprehensive pressure requiring perfect performance may seem curse enough. Yet, the consequences of inevitable failure intensifies the curse. This dreadful consequence can be seen in the reminder of the blessed remedy that God's grace provides. "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree')" (Gal_3:13-14). Those who violate any portion of the law's demands deserve the judgment that Jesus took on the cross.

This gracious provision of salvation through the substitutionary death of Christ reminds us that faith, not law, is our abundant hope. "But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for 'The just shall live by faith.'" Faith involves depending upon the work of another, even Christ. Living by law is not living by faith. It is living by human performance. "Yet the law is not of faith, but "The man who does them shall live by them."

Dear Lord, I praise You for taking upon Yourself the curse of the law that I deserved. My heart exults that the just shall live by faith, not by human performance. Please teach me to live by faith and not by law, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:12:36 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the