Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35336 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2003, 01:16:21 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 9

More on the Boldness of Grace:

I have written more boldly to you on some points . . . because of the grace given to me by God . . . Great is my boldness of speech toward you.  (Rom_15:15 and 2Co_7:4)

When the grace of God is at work in the lives of His people, spiritual boldness is a common result. This was clearly the testimony of the early church. "They spoke the word of God with boldness . . . And great grace was upon them all" (Act_4:31, Act_4:33).

The Apostle Paul experienced this same boldness, as he ministered by the grace of God. "I have written more boldly to you on some points . . . because of the grace given to me by God." Paul's letters often displayed the boldness of grace. Romans was no exception. As he applied the radical truths of the gospel of grace (given in the earlier chapters of Romans), he spoke with characteristic boldness. His exhortation to lay our lives on God's altar is a prime example. "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Rom_12:1-2). His call to be clothed in Christ, leaving no room for fleshly tendencies, is another notable instance. "Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in licentiousness and lewdness, not in strife and envy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts" (Rom_13:13-14). His pronouncement concerning the Lord's ownership of our lives is one more illustration. "For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's" (Rom_14:Cool.

When Paul wrote the saints at Corinth, the boldness of grace was again evident. "Great is my boldness of speech toward you." Just prior to this confession of boldness, he had given a radical request concerning godly separation from the defilements of the world. "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God" (2Co_6:14-16).

Dear Father, I praise You for the radical nature of You and Your truth. I thank You for the boldness that Your grace can bring into lives. By Your grace at work in me, cause me to think, pray, speak, and act in godly boldness. For Your glory, grant me, I pray, a boldness that is confident, but not arrogant; daring, but not reckless; uncompromising, but not harsh; unrelenting, but not insensitive; fearless, but not unloving.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2003, 07:16:22 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 10

Give, the Language of Grace:

I have written more boldly to you on some points . . . because of the grace given to me by God . . . I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus.  (Rom_15:15 and 1Co_1:4)

The grace of God (which produces boldness in those who live by it) is a gift from God. "I have written more boldly to you on some points . . . because of the grace given to me by God." In fact, "give" is basic to the language of grace.

When Paul began his first letter to the believers in Corinth, he emphasized this truth. "I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus." This is the starting point for all of the work of God in human hearts. The initial work of salvation is by the gift of God's grace. None of it is produced by the work of man. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast" (Eph_2:8-9). This same pattern of the giving of grace is true concerning every good thing that God wants to accomplish in man. "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights" (Jam_1:17).

Whatever God wants to do in the family of man is by His grace, which must be given to us by Him. This is true concerning eternal life. "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish" (Joh_10:28). This also pertains to the Holy Spirit in our lives. "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever" (Joh_14:16). It is true concerning spiritual gifts. "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all . . . But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift" (1Co_12:7 and Eph_4:7). This pattern applies to spiritual rest and peace as well. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest . . . Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you" (Joh_11:28; Joh_14:27). When it comes to the greatest matter of all (getting to know the Lord better), God must give to us what is required for such growth: "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him" (Eph_1:17). All of these precious benefits from God are a result of His giving of His grace into our lives.

Will the giving heart of God ever cease toward us? We need never fear that God will be tire of giving us grace. "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Luk_12:32).

Lord God, giver of every gift of grace, I thank You for the rich and extensive grace that You have given to me. Help me to understand that all of Your kingdom is brought into my experience by the giving of Your grace, in Jesus name, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2003, 04:07:40 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 11

Given Ministry by the Grace of God:

Of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.  (Eph_3:7-8)

As we have seen, "give" is the language of grace. "I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus." Our heavenly Father wants to give us all the blessings of His kingdom as a gift of His grace. "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Luk_12:32). No wonder then that we are given ministry by the grace of God.

The Apostle Paul had a special stewardship entrusted to Him by God's grace. "If indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you" (Eph_3:2). This special calling given to him by God concerned the miracle of Jew and Gentile being made one in Christ (as the body of Christ): "that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel" (Eph_3:6). This wondrous "mystery of Christ" (Eph_3:4) was a distinctive emphasis of his ministry. "Of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power." Paul repeatedly stated that this ministry calling was given to him by grace. "To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ."

On other occasions, Paul spoke of his ministry without referring to this special emphasis of Jews and Gentiles becoming one in Christ. Still, he described his ministry in the same terms of grace given to him. "According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation" (1Co_3:10). Here, Paul views his service unto the Lord as a spiritual builder, who is being used to lay a spiritual foundation for the construction of godly lives. God's grace given to him equipped him for, and sustained him in, such service.

We are all called to serve our Master. In our hearts there is a desire to be used of our King. How comforting to know that our ministry will develop by God's grace given to us. Again, humble dependence is the path to such grace for ministry. "To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given."

Lord Jesus, I long to serve You in ministry. I rejoice that ministry depends upon Your grace, not my abilities. Lord, I humbly bow before You, seeking You for the necessary grace to serve You in any way that You desire, in Your gracious name, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2003, 04:46:05 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 12

Courageous, Selfless Ministry by the Grace of God:

But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.  (Act_20:24)

Paul was given ministry by the grace of God. "I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me" (Eph_3:7). To put it another way, he received his ministry from the Lord: "the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus." Paul's bountiful ministry was developed by the grace of God. "I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1Co_15:10). Also, his ministry was to declare God's grace: "to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Paul's life demonstrates that such "grace saturated" service leads to courageous, selfless ministry.

Paul's ministry was courageous. "But none of these things move me." The things that Paul faced were formidable. "The Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me" (Act_20:23). Down through the centuries, matters less substantial than these have moved many a professing Christian from completing his calling. Yet, by leaning upon the sustaining grace of God, Paul courageously endured great hardship and danger in the service of the gospel of grace. "But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings" (2Co_6:4-5).

Related to this courageous service was Paul's selflessness: "nor do I count my life dear to myself."  Soon, he would encounter another sober warning. It was given from a prophet of the Lord, who took Paul's belt and bound his own hands and feet. "So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles" (Act_21:11). Those standing by, who loved Paul deeply, urged him not to proceed. Nevertheless, Paul confessed his willingness to even lose his life for the gospel, if necessary. "Then Paul answered, 'What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus' " (Act_21:13). Such renouncing of self allowed Paul to "finish [his] race with joy." Thus his final testimony would become, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith" (2Ti_4:7).

Jesus, my Lord and Master, You know the things that threaten to move me away from Your calling for me. You know the times I am tempted to hold my life dear, wanting to shrink back in a self-serving manner. Please saturate my life with Your grace that I might serve courageously and selflessly, Amen.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2003, 05:15:36 AM »

AMEN!!!!

But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.  (Act_20:24)

This is my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E verse, with Ephesians 3:9 "TO MAKE ALL MEN SEE"

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2003, 06:11:03 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Love,

Yes Brother, the struggle continues:

Unity in the fellowship of the mystery not known to men of other ages.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2003, 06:33:26 AM »

Yes Brother, the struggle continues:

Unity in the fellowship of the mystery not known to men of other ages.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Yes Brother Amen

Brother Tom, I can fly for FREE, and maybe someday I will hop on a plane and have some lunch and some good fellowship in Oklahoma.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2003, 02:13:23 PM »

Brother Tom, I can fly for FREE, and maybe someday I will hop on a plane and have some lunch and some good fellowship in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is addictive - you might not want to leave.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2003, 05:56:49 PM »

Oklahoma is addictive - you might not want to leave.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2003, 04:17:02 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 13

The Comprehensive, Freely Giving Plan of God:

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?  (Rom_8:32)

By the free gift of God's grace, ministry is given to us. "I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me" (Eph_3:7). By His grace at work in us, our ministry can be marked with courage and selflessness. "None of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself" (Act_20:24). This pattern of grace fits the entire plan of God, because His plan is a comprehensive, freely giving plan.

As we have seen, give is the language of grace. Note the extent to which God desires to give to us. He wants to "freely give us all things." Everything that God considers as needful for fullness of life, He freely makes available by His grace. The scriptures repeatedly speak in such comprehensive terms. "His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness" (2Pe_1:3). All that it takes to live as God intends and to grow in godliness as He desires has already been given to us in Christ. As we continue to get to know the Lord, all that He has given us in Christ is progressively brought into our experience: "through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue" (2Pe_1:3).

The death of Christ is our assurance of having the comprehensive dimensions of God's grace fully available to us: "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all." Jesus is the Father's deeply loved Son. Through a prophet of old, the Father proclaimed this divine love. "Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights!" (Isa_42:1). When the Son was on this earth, the Father directly declared His loving delight from heaven. "And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased' " (Mat_3:17). Jesus is persistently revealed as the object of the Father's love: "The Father loves the Son . . .  the Son of His love" (Joh_3:35 and Col_1:13). The magnitude of the Father's love for His Son is behind His love gift to us. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son" (John 3:16). Our loving and generous Father has not held back from us the sacrificial gift of His beloved Son, who died for our sins. Now, if He did not hold back His most prized treasure (His own beloved Son), there is no way that the Father will hold back any lesser gift from us. "How shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? "

Loving Father, I praise You for Your great love, in giving Your beloved Son to die for my sins. I thank You for the assurance this brings that everything else that I need will be freely given with Him!

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2003, 01:19:57 PM »

By the free gift of God's grace, ministry is given to us. "I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me" (Eph_3:7). By His grace at work in us, our ministry can be marked with courage and selflessness. "None of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself" (Act_20:24). This pattern of grace fits the entire plan of God, because His plan is a comprehensive, freely giving plan.

Thank You Lord

Brace & Peace

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2003, 08:51:37 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 14

Jesus Given for Us to be Given to Us:

For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.  (Rom_5:10)

As the ultimate free gift of God's grace, Jesus was given for us (dying for our sins): "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all" (Rom_8:32). Moreover, He was given for us to be given to us (that He might express His life in and through us).

We began as enemies of God. Certainly, we were lost and condemned. Yet, our situation was even worse than that. Our lives worked against the purposes and plans of God: "And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works" (Col_1:21). Our evil thoughts and activities set us against the Lord in both mind and deed. The only way that we could become the friends of God was for Jesus to be given as a sacrifice for us. "When we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son." The Lord had to deal with our dual problem of sin and unrighteousness. "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" (2Co_5:21). The Father graciously placed our sins on His Son that He might give His righteousness to us. For all who would believe in Christ, this brought the precious gift of reconciliation (the turning of enemies into friends).

Even after this rich grace of reconciliation, the Lord had "much more" yet to give us. "For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." What remained after Jesus being given for us (for our reconciliation) was for Him to be given to us. This is related to Jesus coming to dwell within us that we could be "saved by His life." Why do the friends of Jesus still need to be saved? Well, His followers would be persistently threatened by the world, the flesh, and the devil. They would still be vulnerable to such matters as, temptation, doubt, fear, fruitlessness, distraction, inadequacy, and more. How then would they be saved? This ongoing rescuing work of the Lord would be "by His life" — by Jesus living in and through His people. "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Gal_2:20). Jesus was not, and is not, susceptible to any of these threatening issues. When He is allowed to express His life in and through us, each of us finds all that we need all of the time.This astounding statement is true, because "Christ is all and in all" (Col_3:11).

Dear Father, my reconciler, I thank You for giving Your Son for me, that I might be changed from Your enemy to Your friend by His death. Yet, much more, I praise You for giving Your Son to me, that I might be saved from spiritual futility day by day by His life. Lord Jesus, live in and through me, I humbly pray, Amen.

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2003, 10:01:47 PM »

BRINGING OUR BURDENS TO CHRIST (Matt.11:28-30)

How do you deal with your burdens -- your troubles, and sorrows and cares? The Lord Jesus lays out for us THE BEST WAY in this Scripture:

1. Come unto ME -- Christ is all-sufficient for any problem since He is the Lord God Almighty.

2. ALL ye that labour... my burden is LIGHT -- Labouring in our own strength is futile. God's strength is sufficient.  The only "burden" Christ put upon is is to love Him and trust Him -- that is light indeed!.

3. And are HEAVY LADEN -- we are too weak to bear our own burdens, yet we often neglect to go to the One who is all-powerful, and try to carry them ourselves.  What foolishness!

4. And I WILL give you rest ... ye SHALL find rest unto your souls --- Christ has promised His own rest and peace to those who will simply come to Him

5. Take my yoke upon you ... For MY YOKE IS EASY. The yoke of Christ is being in Him and He in us. It is easy because it is a supernatural work of God. When we stop to remember that God lives within us, we stop carrying our own burdens.

6. Learn of me -- FOR I AM MEEK AND LOWLY IN HEART.  Throughout His earthly life, the Lord submitted willingly to the Father's will. If we do the same, He will lift us up in our darkest moments -- "Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you... Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up" (James 4:8-10).

Sower

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2003, 10:45:56 PM »

Amen Brother Sower,

There is indeed great comfort in bringing our burdens to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Thanks be unto God for HIS unspeakable GIFT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2003, 04:48:51 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - December 15

God Freely Giving, Man Humbly Receiving:

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? . . . What do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you glory as if you had not received it?  (Rom_8:32 and 1Co_4:7)

The Lord's plan for rescuing and transforming lives by His grace is established upon the Son of God being given for us as a sacrifice for our sins: "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all." This gift of God's Son assures us that God will also give us with Christ everything we need. "How shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? " God's giving is to be coupled with man's receiving. As God is freely giving to man, He wants man to be humbly receiving from Him.

Every blessing that we have was received from God. "What do you have that you did not receive? " There is no other source from which we can receive true spiritual benefits than the Lord above. "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven" (Joh_3:27). The joy of having Jesus dwelling in our lives as the children of God became true by us receiving Him. "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God" (Joh_1:12). The fact that we are now reconciled to God and are no longer His enemies is based upon us receiving the gift of reconciliation. "We also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation" (Rom_5:11). The privilege of serving the Lord in ministry is a gift of grace to be received: "the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God" (Act_20:24). The spiritual gifts that we need for enablement in our ministries is another blessing received from the Lord. "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another" (1Pe_4:10).

From initial salvation to growth and service, all that is needed must be received from the Lord. This is an encouraging reality. Yet, it is also a humbling truth. It leaves no room for us to glory in ourselves. "Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you glory as if you had not received it?"

Dear Lord, I confess that every blessing I have ever received was given by You from above. I bow humbly before You, admitting that I do not deserve even one of Your innumerable benefits. Lord, I praise You for freely giving to me. I want to humbly receive from You day by day, in Your gracious name, Amen.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the