Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The History of Scripture
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The History of Scripture  (Read 3661 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2003, 10:26:38 PM »

But at the same time, would you trust a Muslim extremist to look at the Koran objectively? When Christians can't even agree on what books to put in the bible..

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 03:30:02 AM »

There are only a few that don't agree, that is being human.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 05:26:58 AM »

There are only a few that don't agree, that is being human.
I suppose that's true, given that the vast majority of Christians are Roman Catholic and therefore accept the Catholic canon, but I suspect that isn't what you meant to say.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 08:38:27 AM »

Not to mention all the non-Romans who are Catholic (such as the Byzantine Catholics and Polish Nation Catholics), and the Eastern Orthodox, who have the Catholic Canon with a few more of the Duetocanonical.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 11:26:17 AM »

No a denomination counts as ONE. People believe all sorts of things. But there is only one truth.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 08:02:32 PM »

No a denomination counts as ONE. People believe all sorts of things. But there is only one truth.
LOL. Maybe you should have engaged your brain before posting.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2003, 08:41:08 PM »

LOL. Maybe you should have engaged your brain before posting.

Ebia,

This type of post is uncalled for. You might have understood his post if you had read it. The statement is really very simple. A denomination represents one belief, and there are many denominations each with different beliefs, but there is only ONE TRUTH. The question becomes who has the ONE TRUTH, IF ANYONE?

I would say that many have bits and pieces of THE ONE TRUTH. Those who would claim to have the ONLY AND COMPLETE ONE TRUTH would be foolish. The COMPLETE ONE TRUTH rests only in Almighty God.  

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2003, 09:42:25 PM »

I apologise for the insult.

This type of post is uncalled for. You might have understood his post if you had read it. The statement is really very simple. A denomination represents one belief, and there are many denominations each with different beliefs, but there is only ONE TRUTH. The question becomes who has the ONE TRUTH, IF ANYONE?
Assuming this is what he meant, then it fails to defend his earlier post, but anyway.
1.  Few if any denominations have only one opinion on the truth.
2.  Not all denominations carry equal weight - the 1st church of the great banana, founded 1998, membership 27, would hardly carry the same authority as, say, the Methodist Church, or the RCC (for example)

I would say that many have bits and pieces of THE ONE TRUTH.
I'd agree with you 100% there.

Those who would claim to have the ONLY AND COMPLETE ONE TRUTH would be foolish. The COMPLETE ONE TRUTH rests only in Almighty God.  
True as far as it goes, but...

... what has this got to do with the debate in hand, let alone his earlier post?

Nevertheless, I apologise again for my tone in my previous post.

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »

In response to your question about trusting a Muslim to look at the Koran objecitvely, when Christains are able to look at denominations objectively, that is BOTH sides of each denomination, then they are more likely to find out what's true. On the other hand, vigorously defending one side of a denomination is a refusal to look at the other. I have been on both sides of the catholic issue and can see problems in any church. The ability to acknowledge both sides is paramount to the ability to see what's true.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2003, 11:39:39 PM »

2.  Not all denominations carry equal weight - the 1st church of the great banana, founded 1998, membership 27, would hardly carry the same authority as, say, the Methodist Church, or the RCC (for example)

Ebia,

This is for thought, not argument. First, take every denomination in existence and add them to the list you have above. I'm positive that Almighty God could care less who has more church buildings or who has more members. In terms of authority, recognition, and weight, I would say that all denominations known to man have exactly zero in the eyes of Almighty God. HE would quickly recognize HIS children, and to the rest HE would say, "I never knew you."

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 02:14:13 AM »

Sounds like I caused a bit of a ruckus, sometimes I do that on purpose. This time though I did not intend to do that.
There are millions of Catholics but number doesn’t make right. A church, no matter how many followers is what establishes the scripture used.
The greatest variety of English speaking denominations use either the NIV or the KJV.
Most other languages use a translation done from the same manuscripts as the NIV or the KJV.
It is not my intention in this post to say which one is right.
All scripture is God breathed, but He didn’t breath various scriptures. Only one is right.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 03:21:05 AM »

Ebia,

This is for thought, not argument. First, take every denomination in existence and add them to the list you have above. I'm positive that Almighty God could care less who has more church buildings or who has more members. In terms of authority, recognition, and weight, I would say that all denominations known to man have exactly zero in the eyes of Almighty God. HE would quickly recognize HIS children, and to the rest HE would say, "I never knew you."
Fair enough, but how does that further the debate?
Whatever the dabate was.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 05:58:54 AM »

Whatever the dabate was.

Ebia,

I think that you just answered a big question. Everyone is so interested in bashing each other's churches and denominations that nobody knows what the discussion is about.

The point is really simple. There will be no denominations in heaven, no big ones and no little ones. There will only be saved people who accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts as their Lord and Saviour. All of the man-made doctrines, dogmas, creeds, ceremonies, rituals, etc., etc. will all be gone and mean absolutely nothing. The Bible translation you used will also mean nothing. What's in your heart is the only thing that will make any difference between those in heaven and those in hell.

There will be many who sat in church once a week for all the wrong reasons and won't be in heaven. There won't be much laughter about what was important and what was folly.

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 06:12:44 AM »

I'm sure there will be many a slap upside the head for not knowing the LORD's word as well as one should or false doctrines.  There won't be any laughing from those in hell and there won't be any crying from those in heaven either.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 06:15:52 AM »

Whatever the dabate was.

Ebia,

I think that you just answered a big question. Everyone is so interested in bashing each other's churches and denominations that nobody knows what the discussion is about.

The point is really simple. There will be no denominations in heaven, no big ones and no little ones. There will only be saved people who accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts as their Lord and Saviour. All of the man-made doctrines, dogmas, creeds, ceremonies, rituals, etc., etc. will all be gone and mean absolutely nothing. The Bible translation you used will also mean nothing. What's in your heart is the only thing that will make any difference between those in heaven and those in hell.

There will be many who sat in church once a week for all the wrong reasons and won't be in heaven. There won't be much laughter about what was important and what was folly.
Very true.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the