Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  to TV or not to TV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: to TV or not to TV  (Read 4362 times)
LMarsh

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2003, 09:55:07 AM »

Hi! After relocating and getting back into our own home, we seem to be facing a dilemma.
We can't seem to decide whether to get the TV hooked up or  not with Cable. Where we live we don't get any reception without it.  We've been living here for about 5 weeks and I've set up with the cable company to come in once and cancelled.
I have it set up for next week and am again having pangs of "do I really want to do this".
My husband works all day and I'm home alone with the kids...it would be nice to have an adult voice once in a while and maybe know the local news.
But I keep remembering the shows that were on and just the ads were offensive.  Even when it was kids Saturday morning cartoons.
Am I being too overprotective?  Has anyone here gone without TV (like just use your VCR). Smiley
Thanks for any replies in advance.
~LMarsh
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 07:36:56 PM »

We have only had television since around l929 in experimental stages with NBC broadcasting first show in 1939. The second world war stopped its commercial development temporarily.
In the late 1940.s it came full force and captivated everyone.
In the 1950s it caused the closing of thousands of movie theaters. Everyone stayed home to watch what was called the vast wasteland.
Now here it is not fit to watch most of the time. It probably wasn't fit to watch in the early days either but probably had less bimboish, vulgar, filth, and unGodly influences.

A lot of life and living went on prior to 1929 without it and probably could again.

Support your local Christian.
Krazeekkc

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 01:27:30 PM »

Well, the news isn't much to miss, since they lie and don't know what they are talking about! Also they never seem to report anything good, only the bad stuff!  Sad  Also the commercials are getting worse and worse and so are the shows! The tv is almost just a brainwasher. Though there is some good shows like Touch by an Angel, Doc, and some others. But I think if you put it on a measuring scale the bad would definetly out weigh the good!   Hope I helped!
maryann
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 03:04:49 AM »

I have cable.  Without it I get very poor reception.  You can be
overprotective by not having a tv, but you must be aware at all
times what your children watch.  The cartoons for years have been
violent and yet we all watched them.  Kids are going to be exposed
to all sorts of stuff on tv, the neighbors and at school.  If you teach
them at home what is right and what is wrong and see that they learn
about the Lord and your family follows the ways of the Lord you set the
good example and they will learn that the bad examples on tv are there
but their hearts will not enjoy them.  If something on there is coming up too many times and it is offensive there is that channel changer.
Corpus
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 02:15:36 PM »

Kill it.

One of the most horrid things television has done to children is arrest if not rob them of a developed imagination. Idiot-boxes entertain to the point of making one's imagination irrelevant. From a Christian perspective this is crucial to a mature and developed faithlife. Faith requires imagination to accept the incomprehensible, to believe in what we cannot see, to appreciate the beauty of life and to accept the bitterness and pain that accompanies it. Television does not engage the imagination in any developed or constructive way. It 'entertains' to the point where communication ceases to take place.

Related to this is how television affects families. Consider how most families arrange their living room furniture. Typically, couches, chairs and tables are aligned to best accomodate viewing of an electronic entertainment device, not facing each other to accomodate family conversation. It utilizes and advertises immediate gratification that shortens the attention span of children and adults. My wife and I have three kids and have lived life both with and without a TV. I can tell you that our lives took a dramatic turn when we finally removed the set from our home. Gone were the rituals of evening news and the weekly sitcom. Though we always thought we had a good family life with plenty of communication, we never realized what we were missing until we removed the distraction from our home. All of sudden we were filling our evenings with boardgames, playtime and stories. My wife and I found ourselves talking more than we had in years. Our children demonstrated more patience and began to actually use their imagination in how and what they played. Good books and physical activity became a regular part of our household, and the stories in particular have been the springboard for good conversations about God, family and life.

A television is not the solution. For children it is a window into the world that is better left unseen, and for adults distracts from their vocation as Christians and commission as parents.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 02:16:19 PM by Corpus » Logged
SonClad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 03:00:25 PM »

We haven't had TV for 5 years and we don't miss it a bit.  More of our time is spent reading, playing music and games - family time.

Naturally in Christ, SC
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 03:14:41 PM »

We have been without satellite (in lieu of cable in the country) for two years and it's been the best decision we've ever made!

We watch a movie every night as a family. We all grab our pillows and blankets and pile up around the living room. We talk about the movies and what we liked or didn't like. And the best part is that there's an ending - we don't get carried away with channel surfing and settle for watching just because it's on.

We read more - and we have many more Bible discussions. We spend more time outside working on family projects. We laugh more together and talk more together and spend more time together.

My littlest doesn't miss the cartoons because she can pop in a video or DVD and watch with no commercials. My husband doesn't miss his westerns because we have a supply of those on hand along with his favorite war movies. You get the idea...  Wink

So I have to agree with Corpus - "Kill it."  Grin

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:54:46 PM »

Who needs TV, We have computers over here Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 01:15:12 AM »

I only have the minimal amount you can have for cable because with out it I get like two channels and they aren't worth getting.  I like to know the wheather and other things.

I have to disagree with corpus about the imagination thing.  I grew up with TV and I have quite vivid imagination.  I can easily go without tv if I want.  I've done it before.  I don't find it a necessity but it can be benificial.

There are plenty of programs that are good for kids and aiding them in learning.  PBS or your local public broadcasting channels often have great kids shows that teach them many a thing.  It is nice every once in a while to have my son watch one of those shows and give me that half hour break to clean or cook.  I'm a single dad so it's tough when you don't have someone else to assist you.

My son isn't ennamered with the tv or anything and neither was I.  I was usually outside and now that I'm older I tend to use my computer.  That seemed to prove fruitful as that is my line of work now.

Anyhow the tv in and of itself is not evil and if you think it is bad then go without.  There is a difference between overindulgence and acceptable use.  I seem to be hearing a lot of people that could not resist the overindulgence.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 11:37:28 PM »

We have one, but I don't use it very much. I watch a move on the weekends and maybe catch a glimpse of the news during dinner. Lately not even that. You have 3 kids, so for you it is probably a much-needed break from the routine and some company while they're in school.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 03:30:36 PM »

We only have it for videos.  No television.

I was listening to a high profile radio program yesterday afternoon, in a big American city--both radio and streaming internet.  

I've listened occasionally to this same afternoon program for a year now.  

It was so obsene, two men comedians, very professional in how they handle things, I turned it off.  An hour later, turned it back on, still talking about the same thing, and still as obsene.

That's just radio.  They seem to be getting more and more graphic, more and more---almost as if its with malicious intent--as if they're daring you to call them on it.

And from a station with a longtime popular history--one of the first in the nation.

And you can go to their website, and read profiles on all their personalities there.  Very professional.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 09:12:56 PM »

Oh, I'm sure they'd love it if people called in to complain-they could air the calls and mock them mercilessly and go on their giddy way.  Angry

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 05:45:26 AM »

We have only had television since around l929 in experimental stages with NBC broadcasting first show in 1939. The second world war stopped its commercial development temporarily.
In the late 1940.s it came full force and captivated everyone.
In the 1950s it caused the closing of thousands of movie theaters. Everyone stayed home to watch what was called the vast wasteland.
Now here it is not fit to watch most of the time. It probably wasn't fit to watch in the early days either but probably had less bimboish, vulgar, filth, and unGodly influences.

A lot of life and living went on prior to 1929 without it and probably could again.

WOW! You remember all that???

Grin kidding, and yes, I entirely agree with you.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 10:46:54 PM »

LMarsh,

I must confess I'm a news junkie; but I' starting to wean myself off slowly.

We had our satellite turned off several months ago. We would watch the History channel, HGTV, and Fox NEws. One night as we were changing programs a very graphic image came across the screen. I couldn't get it out of my mind for days. As of this writing I may watch a little local news; but the TV is staying off more and more. I'm actually thinkig about taking it out back and shooting it! Ha.

Our children are grown; but if I had any little ones, the TV would definetley be out the door.

Psalm 119

ps I'm still struggling not watching Fox News though!
LoggedintoJesus

John 3:16 John 11:25 Rev 22:17

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 07:22:46 PM »

I dont have a T.V. and I think Im a lot better off .
I dont even miss it, because its not apart of my life any more.
Television is hard to control, mainly the comercials.
I would not want my kids watching one on their own.

psalm 62:8  Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him, God is a refuge for us.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the