Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286831 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Galatians Bible Study
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Galatians Bible Study  (Read 54713 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2003, 09:42:21 PM »

Have a GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT Holiday Brother Tom Grin

Grace & Peace

Oklahoma Howdy to Ambassador4Christ,

Thanks Brother, and you too.

I really can't miss having a great one unless I eat enough to blow up.   Grin All of the rest will be a beautiful family day with God.

Love In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2003, 11:55:17 PM »

John,
Yes, one must be born again, not of the flesh, but the spirit of God. I agree with that part of your post. Now let us discuss Galatians.

John 3:1.  There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
 2.  The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
 3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
 4.  Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
 5.  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
 6.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit

7.  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

How does one come into Christ? Through baptism.

Romans 6:3.  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
 4.  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Love in Christ,
Ollie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:57:46 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2003, 08:59:03 AM »

John,
Yes, one must be born again, not of the flesh, but the spirit of God. I agree with that part of your post. Now let us discuss Galatians.

John 3:1.  There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
 2.  The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
 3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
 4.  Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
 5.  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
 6.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit

7.  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Romans 6:3.  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
 4.  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Love in Christ,
Ollie

Ollie your post like JTB has nothing to do with the study of Galatians, dont get get caught up with (his way). And your teaching:

Is wrong, all cults teach that this baptism is water, NO water in Romans 6:3, this is the ONE Baptism Ephesians 4:5 by the Holy Spirit 1 Corinthians 12:13.

Galatians 4:16
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 09:00:36 AM by Ambassador4Christ » Logged

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2003, 03:49:40 AM »

And this three years of communion with the Lord thru the Spirit, could very well have been his time, to gather his thoughts and meditate on the great events that had taken place in his life, no doubt the Lords prophecy concerning the Spirit became real to the apsotle;

Saul had to spend time, for the ministery, unravelling his misconceptions and all of the human teachings injected into that which he had learned about God, while at the feet of Gamaliel.

He didn't have the NT to help him, he only had the OT writings, to reconcile to what he believed.

Oklahoma Howdy to Petro,

I've studied this area again because some had questions. It truly isn't specified what Paul did in these three veiled years, but the speculation that he did what you and others have suggested is more than reasonable. I read your post again and took particular interest in your statement about Paul not having the New Testament to help him. I thought about the many years of extremely strict training Paul/Saul had in his advancement to Pharisee. I now see the writing of Paul and know beyond any doubt that it was inspired by God.

In Christ,
Tom

Amen,

I should have pointed out, something which will shed more light on this matter.

Paul wrote these words later at the Letter to the Hebrews;

Heb 5
8  Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
10  Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.
11  Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13  For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

It dawned on me, as I studied this very thing about Paul, that what he wrote about, he had experienced himself.

Begining at verse 10, he knew the OT, teachings, and he would not hear of it, that Jesus was the Messiah, this is why he persecuted the church of Jesus; and, no doubt had been present when Gamaliel, spoke these words;

Acts 5
34  Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
35  And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
36  For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
37  After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
38  And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
39  But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Paul fought against God.

He even confesses that he fought against God at;

Acts 22
 3  I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
4  And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women.
5  As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: from whom also I received letters unto the brethren, and went to Damascus, to bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem, for to be punished.

He fought against and persecuted God, thinking he was doing God a service, by imprisoning and killing Gods people.

Even Jesus, who appeared unto him, spoke to him saying;

Acts 9
4  ....Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5  And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said,  I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Making it even clearer at, that he fought against God, ignorantly:

1 Tim 1
12  And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13  Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

When he met the Lord and was saved, he became a babe in Christ Jesus, he needed those three years in desert ,

(I was reminded of the words which scripture gives in defining the life of John the Baptist, concerning his being raised in the desert;

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his showing unto Israel. (Lk 1:80)

, to be nursed  with the sincere milk of the Word of God.

Years later he writes to his kinsmen in Hebrews;

For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Certainly in three years, he came to full age.

Many years ago, when my sons were small I took them fishing, and I learned this lesson, I will never forget;

In the process of fishing, one of my boys, made a big ole birds nest in my fishing line, and when I looked at it, my first impulse was to cut it off, but since that would have shortened the fishing line considerably, I decided to unravel it, it took sometime to do it, and it required alot of patience, since while I was unraveling they fished and were catching them.  When I finally did it, I thought imediately of this very verse where Paul went to Arabia for three years, and I understood it as an unraveling experience of his fishing line.

Then he returned and fished the rest of his days, for mens souls, with the Gospel he preached (1 Cor 15:1-4), this was his fishing line.

Jesus said to the disciples Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. (Mat 4:19)

No one can fish with a birds nest in their fishing line, the honest fisherman, learns patience by taking the time to unravel the line in order to set things straight and have enough of it to present to the big fish, while the  one who cuts it off and reties it, does it in haste because of impatience, and doesn't have enough line in the end to catch the big ones. They all get away.

I know this little comparison story doesn't nearly do the gospel justice, but the principle is there, both Peter and Paul, used nets since they converted souls in large groups.

Fishers of men require a good understanding of the Gospel , in order to present it in a way that produces results for God.

Preaching the Gospel is like fishing, isn't it??

Blessings
Petro

« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 04:03:33 AM by Petro » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2003, 06:14:54 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Petro,

AMEN Brother!

Yes, there is an excellent comparison between preaching the Gospel and fishing. It's also true that much patience is required to unravel the tremendous number of "bird's nests" woven into the hearts and minds of so many today. However, it couldn't be more difficult than it was in the day of the Apostle Paul. Paul's life of extreme contrasts is fascinating.

I think it would be fair to say that all Christians carry around a "bird's nest" of varying sizes and difficulty. The root cause of the nest would always be vanity and the teachings of men. When we get quiet and forget about self, that's the most productive time in HIS WORD. Satan, the author of confusion, doesn't want us to have "eyes to see and ears to hear" the powerful TRUTH OF GOD'S WORD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2003, 06:55:45 AM »

Good morning all;
            I've been trying to get something strait in my mind about Paul, where does it say Paul spent three years in Arabia? Galatians 1:17 it says "17   Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus." KJV. Then verse 18 says "18   Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days." KJV. The way I understand it, it doesn't say how long He spent in Arabia, but it says He spent three years in Damascus after returning from Arabia then went to Jerusalem. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2003, 07:04:40 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I must apologize for some posts containing Strong's references. I didn't realize some of the Greek, Hebrew, etc. came out butchered and contained "?" for characters missing in the fonts. I don't know if I have a solution for this. My Bible study material shows all of the characters perfectly, but some of them are obviously lost and replaced with "?s" in the preparation of the post. So, please excuse this. I doubt I will spend the time in searching for fonts to fix this problem, at least not now.

In Christ,
Tom
I'm sure you know this, and it may not even be your difficulty, but I'll suggest something anyway: When I type up a post outside of CU, in Microsoft Works etc., and then cut and paste it to the forum, some of the characters (especially apostrophes) aren't recognized by the forum and are posted as code instead.
    WillowBirch, and All;
     To solve the problem with M. Word on the fourm after typing out your mesage in Word cut and paste to M.Note pad then cut and paste to fourm, and it comes through ok.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Reba
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2003, 09:28:37 AM »

Good morning all;
            I've been trying to get something strait in my mind about Paul, where does it say Paul spent three years in Arabia? Galatians 1:17 it says "17   Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus." KJV. Then verse 18 says "18   Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days." KJV. The way I understand it, it doesn't say how long He spent in Arabia, but it says He spent three years in Damascus after returning from Arabia then went to Jerusalem. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

Believe the scripture.  We people get ideas in our heads and cant seem to shake them.  A few post back i said just what you said here. I had thought Paul spent 3 years in Arabia untill about a week ago. When ya see  these small truths be willing to open your heart to the  Word. The main point is not  where Paul was tought but that he was tought. Paul clearly shows he was willing to open his heart to hear the LORD, forsaking a lifetime of teaching.

PS  I went back and looked  it was on Nov 25 post # 77 . I found this to read the same in all the translations i checked, not just KJV.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 09:37:38 AM by Reba » Logged
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2003, 08:24:40 PM »

Good morning all;

forrest,

You should go back to Sauls conversion at Acts 9:1-25.

Notice, under what circumstances he left Damascus, the Jews there sought to kill him, note the wording in verses 22 thru 25 carefully.

It stands to reason, he didn't leave on a weekend trip, leaving friday, and returning monday, he was lowered down in a basket in order to leave the city, he could not leave by the main gate, since these jews were waiting for him to come by, in order to kill him.

Chances are he spent the better part of this three year period in Arabia, whereever it was.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:26:05 PM by Petro » Logged

Reba
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2003, 10:38:46 PM »

Acts 9
22But Saul increased all the more in strength, and continued to confound and put to confusion the Jews who lived in Damascus by comparing and examining evidence and proving that Jesus is the Christ (the Messiah).
23After considerable time had elapsed, the Jews conspired to put Saul out of the way by slaying him,
24But [the knowledge of] their plot was made known to Saul. They were guarding the [city's] gates day and night to kill him,
25But his disciples took him at night and let him down through the [city's] wall, lowering him in a basket or hamper.
26And when he had arrived in Jerusalem, he tried to associate himself with the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, for they did not believe he really was a disciple.  AMP

Acts 9:22-26

22 But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.

23 And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him:

24 But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him.

25 Then the disciples took him by night, and let him down by the wall in a basket.

26 And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
KJV
2 Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.  

23 After many days had gone by, the Jews conspired to kill him, 24 but Saul learned of their plan. Day and night they kept close watch on the city gates in order to kill him. 25 But his followers took him by night and lowered him in a basket through an opening in the wall.

26 When he came to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he really was a disciple.
NIV
22 But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews that dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is the Christ.

23 And when many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel together to kill him:

24 but their plot became known to Saul. And they watched the gates also day and night that they might kill him:

25 but his disciples took him by night, and let him down through the wall, lowering him in a basket.

26 And when he was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: and they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple.
ASV

Here are 4 different versions of the same scripture. I am sure there are more . . .  
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2003, 07:02:55 AM »

Boy.  I leave for three days and I lose track of everything!  Oooooh well.  Price of aging.   Grin  Anywho...

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Allinall,

The "Desert Theological Seminary" is most likely what Paul did with those three years. Maybe you missed it, but my conclusions were the same right after the quote you have above. (See below) I love the way you put that, "Desert Theological Seminary". I'm still working on part three about the Apostle Paul. I found numerous sources from various Bible scholars that indicate this is exactly what Paul did with those 3 years. However, I haven't found a source that gives chapter and verse about the details of Paul's "Desert Theological Seminary".    I'll have to share this with my uncle who lives, breathes, and preaches the writings of the Apostle Paul.

Yup!  I missed it Brother Tom!  I understand now, and thanks for clarifying.  Hope you had as blessed a Thanksgiving as I!

And Willowbirch,

You're most welcome!  Hopefully something God's taught me through His word can be shared coherently enough to help others.  But then there is that aging thing... Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »

Paul seems to have every reason to Boast about his human effort in bringing himself closer to God, however he considers all that to be DUNG.  Verse 9 shows not by righteousness of his own by following traditions for the LAW, but through - the righteousness that comes from faith!  Praise God!

I feel like preaching!...lol

Grace and Peace!

Shake that bush brother!!!  Very well stated and so very true.  Praise God!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2003, 11:27:27 AM »

The chronology is important, otherwise, the overall picture gets distorted;

Paul is saved on the road to Damascus, he enters Damascus, Annaias comes to him, with words from the Lord, he believes and is baptized, he is fed and is strengthened, spends several days with the disciples (Acts 9:17-19)

Imediately he begins preaching in the synagogues, that Jesus is the Son of God. (vs 20)

21  But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests?

Verses 22-25, have already been expounded on, and now we come to verse 26.

Verse 26, occures at the end of three years, while verse 37 and 28, fourteen years later.

Verses 26 does not go together, with verses 27-28; and if it were not for verse 27 and 28, verse 26 would be taken out of context, and inspite of verses 27-28, it still, is misinterpreted, most of the time.

The reason why we can know, Verses 27-28, occur 14 years later, is that verse 27 tells us,

But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles,.............this is the key portion of the verse, since at verses

This came about this way, When the Apostles heard that Antioch had received the Gospel (Acts 11:19-22), from Jerusalem Baranabs was sent to Antioch.

Acts 11:25-26, we read that Barnabas sought out Paul at Tarsus (vs 25), and when he found him, brought him down to Antioch, where they both assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

27  And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
28  And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
29  Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
30  Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

It was after this, that Paul, Barnabas and Titus, went to Jerusalem to see about the matter which was brought before the Apostles and Elders at Jerusalem before the first Council at Jerusalem  (Acts 15:1-35).

So clearly the second time Paul went o Jerusalem was 14 years later, when Barnabas took him and presented him to the Apostles (Gal 2:1), on his first visit, he saw none of them except James the Lord brother (Gal 1:19)

27  But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.
28  And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem.

Verse 26, goes with; verses Acts 22:17-18 and, Paul clears it all up herein about his first visit to Jerusalem at the end of three years in Arabia and Damascus,

Notice;

Gal 1
17  Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18  Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19  But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

These verses are understood in the lite of Acts 9:26.

Paul never found the Apostles on his first visit to Jerusalem at the end of three years following his conversion, the Holy Spirit appearing to him (Acts 22:17-21), and Paul then returned to by way of Judea, Syria and Cilicia, to Tarsus, his birthplace.
(Gal 1:20-24)

There is more..

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 07:34:22 PM by Petro » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2003, 08:25:59 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I have a raging case of the flu. I'll join back in when I'm able.

If someone wishes to continue with the next verses, please feel free to and go ahead. I love Galatians, I'm just too sick to think right now.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2003, 06:07:05 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I have a raging case of the flu. I'll join back in when I'm able.

If someone wishes to continue with the next verses, please feel free to and go ahead. I love Galatians, I'm just too sick to think right now.

Love In Christ,
Tom

OK Bro, will be praying for you.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the