Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  SHOULD I KEEP IT SECRET???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SHOULD I KEEP IT SECRET???  (Read 4497 times)
Len

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 10:29:35 PM »

Yeah that statement has always bothered me, too and for the same reasons you mentioned.

Willychuck had mentioned that word ("guideline") first and I shied from it initially and then used it myself so I have to take at least partial blame. I agree with you, Roger and Jerry, the Bible is the final Word and is implicit and explicit leaving no question as to what we need to accomplish God's will. So allow me to say the choice of the word "guideline" was a poor choice.   

But I was getting at was that sometimes we have to go to different places in Scripture to find the whole truth. The best example I can think of is a pretty direct one. Scripture says we are to follow the law of the land since governments are instituted by God and leaders are sovereign choices of God Himself. But what if a national leader or governing body says that Christianity is not allowed  inside the borders of that nation. We then have to go to Acts where Paul reminds us that God's commandments supercede the laws of man when there is contradiction.

This is why it is so important to STUDY His Word, not just read it for the sake of something to read. While reading Scripture for the sake of reading is not a bad idea, there is so much more to gain by true STUDY. That way, when an issue comes up that requires more than one verse or chapter for direction in addressing that issue, we have knowledge of the Word as to how that issue should be addressed and stay in His will.

Finally, I believe that God's Word is complete and lacking in nothing that we need, no matter the circumstance in practical application. Of course, prayer and wise counsel are also extremely important. 
If Holy Scripture is a "guideline", it is a "guideline" to be adhered to without compromise or variance and right down to every "jot and tittle", to quote a Scriptural phrase. If we do this, we can stand blameless before our most Holy God.

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
willychuck
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 12:20:19 AM »

Brothers,

I don't understand why assumptions hold more weight than asking simple questions.  Because I used the word "guidelines", it's assumed that I don't hold God's word as high as the rest of you.  Instead of asking me to explain my use of the word, it became easier to criticize under the guise of decernment.  I'm sorry for all of us.  I will no longer be joining my brothers and sisters at this forum.  I will not return to  read any of your replys.  If you sincerely want to contact me, you can contact me at my yahoo email. 

still your brother in Christ,
Bill 
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 12:40:42 AM »

Brothers,

I don't understand why assumptions hold more weight than asking simple questions.  Because I used the word "guidelines", it's assumed that I don't hold God's word as high as the rest of you.  Instead of asking me to explain my use of the word, it became easier to criticize under the guise of decernment.  I'm sorry for all of us.  I will no longer be joining my brothers and sisters at this forum.  I will not return to  read any of your replys.  If you sincerely want to contact me, you can contact me at my yahoo email. 

still your brother in Christ,
Bill 

Brother Bill,

You're taking this much too seriously. This is simply a pleasant discussion among Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Communication on a forum is much more difficult than face to face, and terms mean different things to different people. All you are seeing is everyone trying to get on the same sheet of music and discuss things. There hasn't been any accusation against anyone, just a clarification of terms.

Stick around and you'll see what I mean. This is a very mild discussion like close friends would have, but we're doing it on a forum in text that can be easily misunderstood.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 105:3-4 NASB  Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.  Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 05:26:17 AM »

Hi Bill,

I was not making any assumptions toward you Brother. I was making a comment in regards to how most people make use of that term, not in how you were using it. Unless I have misunderstood I am sure that was the intent of the other brothers here also.

Brother Bill I hope that you understand and don't leave us. You are a wonderful asset to the forum. There is much through your experiences that others can learn from and be able to have a closer walk with our Lord and Saviour.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the