Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286813 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  God's Promises for American Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Promises for American Heroes  (Read 72290 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2006, 03:19:34 PM »

Jer 5:15  Lo, I will bring a nation upon you from far, O house of Israel, saith the LORD: it is a mighty nation,it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither understandest what they say.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2006, 03:00:14 PM »

Things that Entangle

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

The strong currents put so much pressure on the nylon rope, it felt like I was pulling a dump truck across the river.  I was responsible for getting the lead end of the rope bridge tied to a sturdy tree on the far side. Running out of strength, I got a bright idea.  I starting turning in a circle allowing the rope to wrap around my body.  Before long I realized I had made a big mistake.  The rope was getting tighter and tighter with every turn.  It felt like I was being strangled by Boa Constrictor and I strained tremendously to even breathe.  This was a bad idea.  Sin is an awful lot like that.  At first we may think it’s good idea, but as we become entangled it starts to squeeze the life out of us.  We begin to strain for spiritual breath and slowly but surely, we lose consciousness of our Creator.  Be careful, don’t get wrapped up in things that will damage you and your fellowship with God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »

The Assignment I Never Wanted

Genesis 28:16 When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it."

“Do you like hunting and fishing?” Oh no, I knew what was next, the Mountain Ranger Camp.  I just told the CSM that I wanted to go to the Florida Camp or stay at Ft. Benning.  I had scoped this out and  had no desire to be stuck in the back woods of Dahlonega or out in the desert at Ft. Bliss. “Well Wood, I need you in the mountains because they run the desert phase too and they need folks bad.” I agonized in my mind, “What? The two places I didn’t want and I get them both!”  I spent the next five years there and it was one of the most rewarding times of my life.  My sons were born there and my wife graduated from NGC.  I was leading three separate Bible studies and it was an incredible time of ministry.  We made life long friends in that place.  I received my calling to be a chaplain in those mountains.  I saw God work like never before. Sometimes we experience God’s powerful hand in the most unexpected places.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »

God Wants Something New

Mark 2:22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, he pours new wine into new wineskins."

I can remember when God was just starting my calling to be a chaplain.  I couldn’t believe that He actually wanted me to get out of the Army with 12.5 years invested in a career. I was good at it and smokin’ through the ranks. And, I was only 7 years from retirement!  I had no idea how we would pay for school and put food on the table.  What about our boys, one was two years old and the other two months.  What was I thinking?  This was a tremendous risk.  But, God was at work.  He was doing something new and I needed approach things in a completely new way.  I had to renew my faith in God.  When I finally committed to His call, He provided a place to live (rent free), friends supported us as we went to school, and I started receiving scholarships and grants.  The rest is history, I’m a chaplain.  It may not be as drastic as my calling, but God wants to do a new work in all of us.  Are you ready and willing? Are you a new wineskin?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2006, 12:45:53 PM »

Wrestling with God

Genesis 32:28 Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

I knew from my buddies in the Ranger Battalion that hand to hand combat training was the one of the worst gauntlets in Ranger School.  Hand to hand was responsible for most of the casualties and medical drops.  I had visions of a 7-foot, 250 lb, freak of nature tossing me around the pit like a rag doll.  I prayed for a ranger buddy my own size. Not so with an Old Testament guy named Jacob.  The Bible says that he wrestled with God and held on until He blessed him.  What tenacity!  But, why would Ranger Jacob get into the hand to hand pit with God and better yet, why would God let Him win?  It was all about a blessing.  Jacob wanted God’s benevolent fingerprints all over his life.  And God was pleased accommodate him.  In a sense, I wrestle with God everyday in my morning prayers.  I’m asking Him to bless my family, my ministry, and YOU.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2006, 10:25:26 AM »

Your Six is Covered

Isaiah 58:8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear;  then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

Many spiritual parallels have been drawn from the pointman, but what about the warrior pulling rear security?  Can’t the enemy sneak around and attack from our 6 o’clock just as easily as the 12?  In fact, many times the enemy prefers to attack from the rear because our defensive posture focuses little attention in that area.  But, God has not forgotten our vulnerabilities.  He is alert to the deceptive tactics of the enemy.  He provides 360 degrees of security.  He’s got your six.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »

Looking Back

Luke 9:62 Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

The wooden board was pre-cut so that it would break easily over my back.  It was a stunt we had pulled many times in our hand-to-hand combat demonstrations.  As long as the aggressor struck me across the meaty upper-back, the most I would feel was a little sting. During this particular demo, my pugilistic partner was late with the anticipated blow.  I looked over my shoulder and WHACK, the board broke as planned but the jagged edge put a nice gash in my chin.  As the blood flowed, I realized it was a big mistake to look back.  Can we make the same mistake spiritually?  In our walk with Christ we can be tempted to look back.  We may desire the lifestyle of the past or be unable to let go of previous sins committed. We could be resting on old laurels or just unwilling to face the future.  In any case, looking back keeps us from moving forward and can be a potential danger to our spiritual journey. Eyes Front!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2006, 10:29:34 AM »

Be on the Alert!

1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

I stepped quietly over the frost covered sleeping bags to get to the 155-artillery piece.  The occupants of the frozen cocoons were happily enjoying their dream world as their sneaky enemy placed “Destroyed by Rock Force” stickers all over their equipment.  I easily slipped in and out without a challenge because no one was on their guard.  The cost the next morning was probably nothing more than a little embarrassment, but could you imagine the consequences in a real war?  We are in real combat everyday, spiritual combat.  The enemy is constantly trying to sneak through our moral defenses by enticement and temptation.  He is waiting for us to doze off mentally and then sneak through our principles and values. If we are not on our guard, we wont even see what hit us.  In the spiritual fight, we cannot afford to be a sleep and allow Satan to sabotage our daily choices and our walk with God.  Be on the alert!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2006, 01:07:05 PM »

More than We Bargained For

Numbers 11:18-20 "Tell the people…The LORD heard you when you wailed, "If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!" Now the LORD will give you meat, and you will eat it…until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it--because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?" ' "

“Private, make me a cup of coffee” barked my PSG.  Minutes later the dutiful PVT came back with a steaming canteen cup.  You could tell the PSG was looking forward to a little warmth on this cold morning in the field.  He took a few sips of the hot joe and we returned to the Operations Order.  Suddenly, he spewed the brown liquid in every direction.  “PVT, DID YOU SHAVE IN THIS CANTEEN CUP THIS MORNING?!”  Across the perimeter, we heard the faint and clueless, “Yes sergeant.” My PSG got a little more than he bargained for with the Wiskery Coffee.  I still laugh when I think about this story.  We also know from Scripture that God’s people can get more than they bargain for. When we whine, complain, and demand that God give us what we want, there may be unforeseen consequences. Be careful, God is not a cosmic vending machine.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »

The Fallen Messenger

Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

The S3 and I were wandering through the rows and rows of crosses in the American Cemetery in Tunisia.  These hollowed grounds honored the fallen warriors of the North African Campaign during WWII.  We were awe struck as we walked. Suddenly, in mid-flight, a pigeon died and plopped at the feet of the S3.  She was already feeling a little creepy walking among the dead and this pushed over the edge.  She turned to me with a look of astonishment and she was white as a sheet.  She asked, “Chaplain, is this a sign?”  I responded, “Yes, it’s a sign that God loves you.”  I explained the passage about the sparrows and how much more God loves us than the birds.  The cemetery was full of fallen messengers saying, “I paid the price for your freedom, live worthy.”  However, the bird was a fallen messenger who reminds us “Even though you do not live worthy, God still loves you and paid the price for your freedom anyways.”

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 12, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »

Taking Care of Your Own

Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

I got the grand tour of the USS Enterprise, one of America’s finest weapon platforms.  My fellow Navy Chaplain gave my family and I a four-hour walk about that even included eating lunch with the sailors.  By the time we left, we had a pretty good understanding of the “Big E” and her capabilities.  As we departed for the shore, I discovered others who were a little less enthusiastic about their tour of the aircraft carrier.  They didn’t have a personal tour guide and were confined to the flight deck and the hanger one deck below.  I listened to their disappointment and I realized the great benefits of my relationship with my fellow chaplain.  It’s like the advantage we have as Christians.  We belong to the family of believers.  Certainly, we should take care of all people but we are also encouraged to give special priority to our brothers and sisters in Christ.  We are the family of God, look out for one another.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 13, 2006, 07:38:27 AM »

High Speed

1 Corinthians 15:52  In a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

The 12-mile road march in less than 2 hours, that’s pretty high speed.  Running the 2 miler with a sub-eleven time, that’s pretty high speed.  Disassembly and assembly of the M16 rifle in less than 30 seconds, that’s pretty high speed.  In the military we label people and things that are fast and proficient, High Speed.  But nothing is going to be more high speed than our resurrection or rapture at the second coming of Christ. Jesus tells us “no one knows the day or the hour” ( Mat 24:36), so no one knows the exact time He will return.  I’ll never make predictions but, I do know this, He’s coming back and when He does, it’ll be quick!  That’s High Speed. Are you ready?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 15, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »

Connect the Dots

Psalm 33:11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

I helped one of my fellow Ranger Instructors grow in his relationship with Christ in Dahlonega, GA.  He in turn helped a cadet at North Georgia College who, 15 years later, became an instructor at West Point.  Some very close friends of ours from Ft. Stewart, GA sent their son to West Point and is now being discipled by that instructor.  Small world?  How about this? The man who discipled me at Ft Campbell, KY had a son who joined the Air Force 17 years later.  The son just happened to be stationed at an Air Force Base near the seminary I was attending in Phoenix, AZ and I discipled him.  Coincidence?  No way.  I believe God has a plan and it is intricately woven through our lives to accomplish His will.  Occasionally, God lets us “connect the dots” and encourages us as we survey His handiwork.  Contemplate His awesome sovereignty and take comfort in His grand design.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 16, 2006, 11:50:01 AM »

Mighty Warrior?

Judges 6:11b-12 Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LORD is with you, mighty warrior."

If the truth be know, Gideon was hiding.  He was beating out wheat on the inside of a wine press (which is not the prescribe way to perform this very dusty job) and trying to keep out of sight of the Midianites. Then the angel of the LORD shows up and addresses Gideon as “mighty warrior."  I can just see Gideon, “Who me?”  Gideon did not see himself as a warrior let alone a mighty one.  But God sees him in all his potential.  He knew Gideon better then the man knew himself.  How do we see ourselves?  Sometimes a little reluctant, maybe fearful or nervous about the future?  Well let me assure you that God sees our fullest potential.  And why shouldn’t He?  With all His power and might behind us, we really can’t fail.  Has God asked you to do something you’re hesitant about?  Trust Him and move out, He sees the mighty warrior within you.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:23 AM »

A Prayer for Our Times

Ecclesiastes 3:8b A time for war and a time for peace.

Gracious Father, there are only a few hours left.  If it is in keeping with Your will, we pray that Sadaam would be removed without firing a single shot.  But if we must being peace through violence, we move forward depending wholly on Your grace and benevolence.  We dare not trust in horse or chariot alone but on the power of Your mighty Name.  We ask that You would indeed protect every American soldier, sailor, marine, and airmen.  We ask the same for our allies.  We go forth with humility and a deep desire to liberate an oppressed people.  We pray for them, the people of Iraq, that You would shield the innocent from the violence that is to come.  Melt the hearts of those who would oppose.  Spare their lives through the wisdom of surrendering to a greater cause.  Lord, we also lift up our President, National Leaders, and Military Leadership, and ask that you would give insight and sound judgment as they guide us through the days ahead. Be with us Father and if need be, make us swift, powerful, and ever vigilant.  In Jesus Name I pray, AMEN

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the