Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286812 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Stay away from IE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stay away from IE  (Read 14609 times)
InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »

I wasn't aware just having IE on your computer was a security hole, but it makes sense now that you bring it up. I am sure you could get rid of it if you really wanted to. But unfortunately it is needed for some things to work right, windows update being the most important.

Oh, I just had I good idea, If you go into your firewall and block IE from accessing the internet when you are not using it and then unblock it when you need it. Sweet, I think I will do that right now.

As far as websites that use ActiveX, using firefox with the ActiveX plug-in would be better than using IE. Although I still would not get the ActiveX plug-in. I would still recommend using IE only when necessary and switching back to firefox when done. This seems to be the safest method at this time.

I have heard that MS is going to fully integrate IE into up coming OS's. So there will be no choice in having it on your system. Unless of course you decide to go with another OS like Linux or the Sun Java OS that is based on Linux.

Just last week I was going to load Linux Mandrake 8.2 on an old system and start learning how to use it. But the old hard drive has to many errors on it. It would not install Linux. I did a surface scan on it using a partition tool and all I got for three hours was errors. Oh well. Maybe I will do a dual boot on my kids computer or my laptop.

May His peace go with you.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 04:31:28 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I still have a lot of questions about the gaping security holes in Windows products, especially Internet Explorer. I do have a firewall and can turn IE's ability to contact the Internet on and off. However, I've read that there are still security holes just having IE installed on your computer. I thought about deleting it completely, but that is apparently not a wise thing to do. I understand that you really have to know what you are doing to get that done, especially considering that Bill Gates has tied it into much of the operating system. I've read that you can actually crash the OS in trying to get rid of IE.

I opted to use a freeware browser called Avant and configure it to run independent from IE, but I really don't think that is possible. There are many advantages to Avant, including speed and the ability to turn many dangerous components completely off (i.e. active-x and scripts). I understand there is another freeware browser called Slim Browser that is another step up in security and speed. Does anyone know anything about either of these browsers (Avant, Slim)?

It actually appears that many Windows services try to run regardless of which browser you want to use. GUESS WHAT - they run through Internet Explorer. I did an experiment the other day that was fascinating. I changed the extension of Internet Explorer from "exe" to "bxe", thinking that I could see what the system would do without it. Well, IT WAS ALMOST LIKE MAGIC - the OS almost immediately installed another copy of Internet Explorer with the correct extension. UM??? - Darth Gates appears to be loose in our computers, regardless of our wishes.   Grin

I'm thinking it JUST MIGHT have to do with many other services on the Internet that involve money. Another puzzle is Windows Media Player. Turn that rascal on and it sends stuff everywhere. The privacy notice on Windows Media Player is very interesting. In reality, it appears that we don't have any privacy or security using Windows products. I'm beginning to wonder how much Microsoft is paid by third party vendors of FOR PAY SERVICES.

UM??? - I wonder if Darth Gates is monitoring this conversation.

Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 05:26:50 PM »

It's things like this that make you want try your hand at Linux. Get rid if windows altogether.

There probably is a micrsoft version of the FBI that watches our every move. Smack down the little guy before he can get out of windoze. Grin

I am probably being watched right now.  Lips Sealed

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 04:18:04 PM »

Nahhh...I say let em watch.  Maybe they will hear the Gospel.   Wink   My Father see's every thing they say and do too.   In fact He even see's their thoughts and heart.

The only time MSIE has been a problem for me was once, surfing random sites related to severe weather, a users site installed a backdoor trojan on my PC without my knowledge.   Obviously I found this installment and removed it in short time.   So now I use Mozilla when I am random surfing, but I still use MSIE when I visit sites I frequent.

The only defense anyone has, is a good backup (hardcopy) of your important data.   Either burn it to disk, or get a tape backup or something of that nature.   Using any computer, any software, no matter what it is, theres always the chance the computer will either crash or be at risk to security attack.  Its like your home.  The only safe bet is to have good insurance, and a safe box with your important documents.  In PC lingo the equivalent is a good backup of your important data, and of course the typical virus protection, firewall good sense etc.  Maybe even a little prayer over your PC  Grin

Be as safe as you can be, but always plan for the worst.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 05:48:53 PM »

As they say "pessimists are blessed for they make backups".

Wink

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 02:25:37 PM »

One Word ~>  "Opera" Grin

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2004, 02:51:56 PM »

Nothing compares to the ability to break glass with opera vocals!   Grin

j/k MS  I couldn't resist  Cool

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 06:39:03 AM »

One Word ~>  "Opera" Grin

Yeah, Kristi, but you still need IE to update at the Microsoft website, and as long as you even have IE installed on your computer, you are as open to attack as if you were using it. Consider it Microsofts "built in" backdoor.   Cheesy

Gracey

« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 05:49:51 AM by Gracey » Logged

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 04:07:37 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I used a freeware browser called Avant for quite some time, but I'm currently using a freeware browser called Slim Browser.

For whatever reason, it seems that most of the browsers still use some of the Internet Explorer files and functions. Avant was good, but Slim Browser works with fewer bugs and errors. You can also turn Active-X and Scripts capabilities on or off any time you wish. I only leave these turned on with sites I know are safe, and Christians Unite is definitely safe.

There is another gremlin loose in Windows, the Windows Messenger. That's a security hole big enough to drive a semi through. You can and should disable this. I did disable it on my system, and I can't see any negative effects at all. There's something I don't understand in all of the Windows security problems. Researchers and security gurus have been telling Gates for years about the problems, and they just don't fix them. I'm thinking that it has something to do with pay services that Microsoft and affiliates make big money with. I'm also thinking that Microsoft gets paid by other companies to leave the bugs in Windows so their own pay services work. Money has to be the culprit. The logical answer for security would be to leave that garbage out of the operating system and let the user install it with whatever pay services they want to use. OH!!! - pardon me - that's common sense.  Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 08:12:09 PM »

Hello everyone.

Gracey, you can go microsoft and manually download the patches that you need. That way you would not have to use windows update. I don't do this myself, but I know some that do.

By Blackeyedpeas
There is another gremlin loose in Windows, the Windows Messenger. That's a security hole big enough to drive a semi through. You can and should disable this. I did disable it on my system, and I can't see any negative effects at all.

Oh yes that definitely needs to be disabled. That service is only needed if you are on a network that is controlled by an administrator. It allows an admin to control updates and make changes on client computers from a remote computer. That is why it is such a security hole.

But there are other services that need to be disabled as well. Like remote desktop help, secondary logon, terminal services to name a few. These are not needed by most home users. Besides being security threats they also slow your computer down by running unnecessarily in the background.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm This is an excellent place to learn what services do what and what setting is recommended and why. Please note that this is for windows XP and 2000 only. Also that he is in the process of updating his Service Configurations to include SP2.

This is a great site to learn how to tweak your computer. If you shut down unneeded services you will notice a boost in performance as well.

You can also turn Active-X and Scripts capabilities on or off any time you wish. I only leave these turned on with sites I know are safe, and Christians Unite is definitely safe.

I agree. But bad things can happen to good sites. Two or three days ago a forum that I go to often had a incident. Someone inserted malicious code into a post and was redirecting everyone to a very nasty picture. On top of that it falsely associated user names with that post.  Angry

I have just about every program you can think of to secure my computers. I practice safe browsing. But still about two months ago I had a virus.

My point is that even though you think things are locked up tight, there is always someone trying to find a new way in and you have to be careful.

Peace to all.

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 05:58:02 AM »

There is another gremlin loose in Windows, the Windows Messenger. That's a security hole big enough to drive a semi through. You can and should disable this. I did disable it on my system, and I can't see any negative effects at all.

According to this news article, Microsoft was supposed to kill the messenger in their next update (that was Oct. 2003):

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39117450,00.htm

But, windows has within something called the "messenger service" which is different from windows messenger, or msn messenger. This is also considered an opening for problems, and if you want to take care of it and don't know how, there's a little program (utility) out there called "Shoot the Messenger"

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 06:15:16 AM by Gracey » Logged

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 06:06:09 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I'm not new to computer security, but I am completely new to Windows XP. I really appreciate the help and advice in this thread. Every new link to XP security information makes me realize how little I know about XP.

It is sad there are so many ways to hit plain and ordinary folks. It appears that the number of ways to get you increase with each new version of Windows. I'm thinking that Bill Gates would make a great terrorist, considering that he appears to be holding all of us hostage.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2004, 02:15:10 PM »

Although I'm a total freaked-out MACHEAD, my wife (sob, sob) has a peecee.  Because of security breaches, I've set it up as:

Windows 98SE
Firefox (Mozilla), which is FREE, and has an email client called thunderbird which does NOT have the open doors that Outlook has.

NO messenger.

I keep IE locked down, plus I'm behind a Linux server firewall.

When I run a security (port) check online, the service tells me I don't exist.  Grin Grin Grin

Seriously....either go MAC, or try the Firefox. Since installing it, we've not had one single intrusion.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2004, 04:05:20 PM »

Evangelist,

Brother Hank, I have Norton Internet Security as my main protection. The Shields Up site test indicates my computer is in complete stealth mode, but my old computer was still crashed in stealth mode, and I wasn't using Microsoft for browsing or email. There are evidently still some holes in the operating system itself.

I certainly don't use Outlook or Outlook Express. There are all kinds of nasty problems designed specifically for them. Another good rule is to set whatever email program you use for plain text only.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Seven

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 05:30:27 AM »

Greetings,

Regardless of what browser you might favor, ALL of them
face the same problem...adware/spyware/malware or some
other malicious code that cause you to go "Hummm. how did
that happen!"

IE is no better than Mozilla or some other free browser.
IE has security issues (duh) as well as non-brand name
browsers. When it comes down to the mechanics of a
browser, they all suffer security problems. A browser by
any other name is still a browser. Adware/spyware/malware
coders are getting sophisticated in their programming skills
spybots are behind them in their dust. These programmers
are learning the tricks to get past how data is formatted on
a browser. For example, turning off executable downloads
from a browser does not mean person (hacker) cant run an
program with it on. They still can!

I really laugh when people when they tell me that
browser "X" is better than browser "Y". There is no difference.
(I'm really aching to use an "!" on that last sentence.)

I've dissected lots of spyware code that will run around
both IE and Mozilla and other popular browsers. Both have
issues with buffer flows along with other a host of other
issues. It all comes down to "eye-candy". "Humm... this is
nice, I like this feature." or "Hey, cool I like the tabs!"

If you truly want to keep your computer safe from spyware,
viruses, hackers , coffee spills and the occasional cat hair
found logged in the keyboard, turn your computer off, toss
it into the closet and lock the door. (throw away the key
helps too..........along with the cat!)

Jim

Software Engineer
http://www.infragard.net/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the