Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286812 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Lessons On Living
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lessons On Living  (Read 67248 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 14, 2006, 02:53:05 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll
Source: Lessons on Living From Joshua
Scripture: Numbers 13:16 Numbers 13:1-2

Fulfilling our Responsibilities

Numbers 13:1-2, 16

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Send men to spy out the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the children of Israel; from each tribe of their fathers you shall send a man, every one a leader among them.

These are the names of the men whom Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Hoshea the son of Nun, Joshua.

Fulfilling Our Responsibilities

The British naval hero Lord Nelson took his responsibilities very seriously. During his life he conscientiously served his nation in its ongoing conflict with France and Spain. Fatally wounded in the battle at Trafalgar, Nelson said before he died, "Thank God, I have done my duty."

Joshua carried heavy responsibilities as well. He was a leader among the people of his tribe. He was one of 12 chosen to spy out the land of Canaan. Later he would become Moses' right-hand man in leading the armies of Israel against their enemies. In fact, Moses gave him the nickname "Joshua," which means "he shall save his people." That was a tremendous responsibility to live up to as well. Yet with God's help, Joshua was able to come to the end of his days with the confidence that he had successfully fulfilled all the duties God had given him.

Most of us discover early that life has many obligations. There is schooling to complete, a family to raise, a job to perform, a church to support, bills to be paid, and so much more. And, if God calls you into leadership, there are usually additional commitments that come with your position. Some days can seem a bit overwhelming.

But don't be overpowered by it all. With God's help, you also can complete your responsibilities. When you get swamped, take time out, get alone with God in some secluded place, and read His Word for encouragement and strength. Ask God's Spirit to refresh you and to provide the wisdom you need to successfully fulfill all that is set before you. Be faithful to your obligations and discover the satisfaction of a life well lived.

Being responsible before God is being responsive to God.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 17, 2006, 10:19:54 AM »

Scripture: Numbers 14:28-30

Faithfulness Rewarded

Numbers 14:28-30

"Say to them, ‘As I live,' says the Lord, ‘just as you have spoken in My hearing, so I will do to you: the carcasses of you who have murmured against Me shall fall in this wilderness, all of you who were numbered, according to your entire number, from twenty years old and above. Except for Caleb the son of Jephunneh and Joshua the son of Nun, you shall by no means enter the land which I swore I would make you dwell in.'"

Faithfulness Rewarded

It was a stormy night in Birmingham, England, and Hudson Taylor was to speak at a meeting at the Severn Street schoolroom. His hostess assured him that nobody would attend on such a stormy night, but Taylor insisted on going. "I must go even if there is no one but the doorkeeper." Fewer than a dozen people showed up, but the meeting was marked with unusual spiritual power. Half of those present either became missionaries or gave their children as missionaries; and the rest were faithful supporters of the China Inland Mission for years to come. Taylor was faithful and God rewarded him.

Faithfulness always has it rewards, both in heaven and on earth. Joshua stood faithful to God's promises. When the ten spies brought back discouraging reports about the land of Canaan, Joshua and his partner, Caleb, stood firm on God's assurance of victory. When the people threatened to stone him, he refused to back down from his convictions. It's no wonder, therefore, that Joshua and Caleb were given the privilege of entering the Promised Land when everyone else was condemned to die in the wilderness.

Being faithful often puts you on the wrong side of popular opinion. Standing steadfast on the Word of God can make you the object of ridicule, if not hatred. Being firm about your beliefs sometimes causes people to think of you as narrow-minded, unenlightened or even worse. But be faithful to what you know is right. Ultimately your faithfulness will be rewarded.

Don't be discouraged by what others say or do. Be faithful to God's Word and His work. God promises He will make it all worthwhile.

Faithfulness is the process; God's blessings are the product.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 17, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »

Scripture: Deuteronomy 1:36 Joshua 14:8-14 Numbers 32:11-12

Total Commitment

Numbers 32:11-12

Surely none of the men who came up from Egypt, from twenty years old and above, shall see the land of which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, because they have not wholly followed Me, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh, the Kenizzite, and Joshua the son of Nun, for they have wholly followed the Lord.

Total Commitment

A few years ago, prominent members of society gathered in the Saints Peter and Paul Church in San Francisco for a wedding. The bride was dazzling in her wedding gown and the service was elegant in its execution. But when it came to that all-important moment to say "I do," the bride hesitated and then replied, "I just can't make up my mind." The minister waited a moment and then announced to the audience that the wedding was off. The reception was canceled and thousands of dollars' worth of food was given away. A week later, however, the bride asked for the wedding to proceed. Her uncertainty, she claimed, "was just do to nerves."

Fortunately, Joshua, along with Caleb, never had such moments of uncertainty. No less than five times (Num. 32:12; Deut. 1:36; Josh. 14:8, 9, 14) the Bible says Joshua "wholly" followed the Lord. There was no hesitation, no second thoughts, no vain regrets. Instead, he gave himself to be and do all that God desired of him. His life had no room for a "maybe," or a tentative "let me think about it." Joshua's mind was made up; he would totally serve the Lord.

When it comes time to give a clear testimony for the Lord, Christians often seem to be afflicted with a bad case of the nerves. They stutter and stumble and just can't seem to "make up their minds." George Gallup, in his studies on American church life, noted that America is a nation of nominal believers, many belonging to a church but few attending. They just can't make up their minds to take a stand for the Lord.

Let's put behind us all our indecisiveness. When the opportunity comes to take a stand for Christ, whether by witnessing for Him or simply identifying with a local assembly of believers, don't hesitate. "Wholly" follow the Lord.

A holy response comes from a wholly committed heart.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2006, 01:39:03 AM »

Scripture: Numbers 20:8-20 Deuteronomy 1:37-38

The Value of Encouragement

Deuteronomy 1:37-38

The Lord was also angry with me [Moses] for your sakes, saying, "Even you shall not go in there; but Joshua the son of Nun, who stands before you, he shall go in there. Encourage him, for he shall cause Israel to inherit it."

The Value of Encouragement

Francois Arago, a 19th-century French astronomer, attributed his success to words he found written on the paper cover of his book at a time when he was greatly discouraged. These words, written by French mathematician and philosopher Jean d'Alembert, were, "Go on, sir; go on! The difficulties you meet will resolve themselves as you advance. Proceed, and light will dawn and shine with increased clearness on your path." Following these simple words made Arago the first astronomical mathematician of his age.

God knew that Joshua would need encouraging words as well. Moses had become so discouraged with the grumbling people that he himself sinned against the Lord and lost his opportunity to enter the Promised Land (Num. 20:8-20). Therefore, God instructed Moses to challenge all the people to encourage his young understudy. If Joshua were to fulfill his mission, the monumental task of leading Israel into the land of Canaan, the people needed to support him with their encouragement.

You and I are much the same. We need encouragement, too, whether we're a leader or a follower. George M. Adams observed that "encouragement is oxygen to the soul." If we plan to go on living, we need oxygen; if we plan to go on serving the Lord, we need encouragement.

Do you have the gift of encouragement? Whom can you comfort today? What simple word can you say that will go a long way in motivating your friends or family? Make it your ministry to lift the spirits of those around you so that they can serve the Lord more effectively.

If you want to be encouraged, encourage someone else.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 20, 2006, 01:40:16 AM »

Scripture: James 1:5 James 3:17 Deuteronomy 34:9

Wisdom From Above

Deuteronomy 34:9

Now Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; so the children of Israel heeded him, and did as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Wisdom From Above

Life is filled with predicaments that require wisdom. Two men were hiking when they spotted a mountain lion staring at them. One froze in his tracks, but the other sat down on a log, tore off his hiking boots, pulled a pair of running shoes from his backpack and hurriedly began to put them on. "For crying out loud, you can't outrun a mountain lion!" his companion said. "I don't have to," the other shrugged. "I just have to outrun you."

There is some wisdom to what this man said, but this type of earthly wisdom is not sufficient to accomplish God's purposes. Joshua needed much more than common sense if he were to be the leader God wanted him to be. Therefore, as Moses laid hands upon him in prayer, God granted Joshua a supernatural measure of wisdom through His Holy Spirit.

God still offers such wisdom today. James says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5). But this is not just any wisdom; it is a godly wisdom. James calls it "the wisdom that is from above" (3:17). God, who is the giver of all good gifts, delights in giving godly wisdom to those who truly desire it. We all need it; do we all desire it as well?

If you are facing a situation that calls for real wisdom, don't settle for earthly wisdom. So much more is available to you. Ask God to give you the wisdom that comes from above. Only by godly wisdom can you meet God's expectations.

Godly work always requires godly wisdom.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 20, 2006, 01:41:33 AM »

Scripture: Philippians 4:7 Hebrews 13:5 Matthew 28:20 Joshua 1:5

Never Forsaken

Joshua 1:5

"No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you."

Never Forsaken

In 1970 an Arizona lawyer named Russel T. Tansie filed a $100,000 damage suit against God. The suit was filed on behalf of Mr. Tansie's secretary, Betty Penrose, who accused God of negligence in His power over the weather when He allowed a lightning bolt to strike her home. The woman won the case when the Defendant failed to appear in court. I wonder if she ever collected?

When trials come or disaster strikes, it's easy to feel as if God is being negligent. When something we can't explain happens, we believe God has let us down. But the Bible makes it very clear that this is not true. God told Joshua that He would not leave nor forsake him. Actually, in the Hebrew language, the negative comes first and makes the thought even stronger: "not will I leave you" and "not will I forsake you." The order of these words emphasizes the fact that, no matter how difficult Joshua's circumstances might become, God would not leave and He would not forsake. He was as committed to Joshua as He had been to Moses. Could you use that same kind of commitment from God today? You have it. Read Hebrews 13:5.

God's presence doesn't mean that things will always go smoothly. Christians don't walk around with protective plastic bubbles surrounding them. We experience cancer; we endure sorrow and heartache; we fail in business. God's promise, however, is that He will continue to walk with us and be faithful to us even in our sorrows or failures. His company will bring you comfort that will exceed your understanding (Phil. 4:7).

Be assured that as God was with Moses and Joshua, He is with you as well. Jesus promised, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matt. 28:20). Whatever difficulties you face, you will not have to face them alone. He will never, no never, fail you nor forsake you. That's His promise to you.

Only God can say never--and really mean it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 20, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »

Scripture: Joshua 1:8

The Key to Good Success

Joshua 1:8

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

The Key to Good Success

My local newspaper reported that a man and woman who tried to hop a Union Pacific train from North Platte, Nebraska, to Omaha were being held in Dawson County jail on trespass charges. But the couple wouldn't have gotten to Omaha even if they hadn't been apprehended; the train was headed to Kansas City.

Many people who think they're on the train headed for success are really going in the opposite direction. History is awash with examples of men and women who found a form of success, but lived to regret it. It was not what the Bible calls "good" success. Lord Byron, who achieved fame both as a poet and a libertine, wrote at the age of 35:

My days are in the yellow leaf,
The flowers and fruits of love are gone;
The worm, the canker, and the grief
Are mine alone.

God's success is far different; it's always headed in the right direction. Joshua was assured that if he lived consistent with what was written in God's Word, he would achieve success--but not just any success. God's promise to Joshua, as well as to you and me, is that if we live by all that is written in the Bible, we will achieve "good" success.

The key to good success is obedience to God's Word. If you conform your life to God's will, as it is revealed in His Word, you'll experience the kind of success that will be a blessing rather than a burden.

Only a good God can give good success.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2006, 02:20:20 PM »

Scripture: Psalm 23:4 Joshua 1:9

Strong and Courageous

Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Strong and Courageous

A child had to walk each evening past a dark, spooky house. Some adult friends tried to give him courage. One handed him a good-luck charm to ward off the ghosts. Another installed a light at a particularly dark corner near the house. A third took a more spiritual approach, saying, "It's sinful to be afraid. Trust God and be brave!" It was good advice, but not much help. Then one friend said with compassion, "I know what it is to be afraid. I'll walk with you past the house." Instantly the child's fears were gone.

This was what God did for Joshua. Joshua faced the fearful task of leading a group of nomads against the trained armies of established kingdoms. That was enough to make even the bravest man tremble. But God did more than give Joshua a battle plan or a pep talk; He reassured him, saying, "I will be with you wherever you go."

God does not promise He will not lead you into fearful situations. He may call you to serve Him in a land far from your friends and family. For most of us this challenge could be frightening. Or God may ask you to stand against the tide of popular opinion on your school board or at a city council meeting. And again your knees may knock and your voice tremble. But just like Joshua, you can do it because God also has given you the solution for your fears: He has given you Himself.

In Christ you have strength for every weakness and the courage for every fear. The psalmist said, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death [literally, the valley of dark shadows], I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (Ps. 23:4). Are you facing a formidable task? Trust God's presence to dispel your fears and give you renewed strength and courage.

Courage is spelled C-H-R-I-S-T.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:32 PM »

Scripture: Joshua 1:12-14 Psalm 15:4

Promise Keepers

Joshua 1:12-14

And to the Reubenites, the Gadites, and half the tribe of Manasseh Joshua spoke, saying, "Remember the word which Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, saying, ‘The Lord your God is giving you rest and is giving you this land.' Your wives, your little ones, and your livestock shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side of the Jordan. But you shall pass before your brethren armed, all your mighty men of valor, and help them."

Promise Keepers

In his book Up From Slavery, Booker T. Washington described meeting an ex-slave from Virginia: "The man had made a contract with his master, two or three years previous to the Emancipation Proclamation, that permitted him to buy his freedom. While he was paying for himself, his master released him to labor where and for whom he pleased. Finding he could receive better wages in Ohio, he journeyed there. When Abraham Lincoln declared all slaves to be free, however, the man was still in debt to his master three hundred dollars. Even though technically he was freed from any obligation, he still walked back to where his old master lived in Virginia and placed the last dollar, with interest, in his hands. The man concluded, ‘I could not enjoy my freedom until I had fulfilled my promise.'"

Joshua, too, reminded the Reubenites, the Gadites and half the tribe of Manasseh that they had made a promise during the days of Moses. In return for being allowed to settle in the peaceful land east of the Jordan, they agreed to join their kinsmen in conquering the land west of the river. It was now time to fulfill that promise.

God expects all of us to keep our promises. In fact, the psalmist said that the person who walks with integrity "swears to his own hurt, and does not change" (Ps. 15:4).

Is there a promise that you need to fulfill? Have you made a commitment and not seen it to the end? Now is the time to take your obligation seriously and make good on your promises. Even if technically you're off the hook, people of integrity always do what they promise.

A promise broken is a responsibility left undone.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2006, 01:58:08 AM »

Scripture: Joshua 3:1

Early in the Morning

Joshua 3:1

Then Joshua rose early in the morning; and they set out from Acacia Grove and came to the Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they crossed over.

Early in the Morning

During the American Revolution, it is reported that Colonel Rahl, commander of the British troops at Trenton, New Jersey, was playing cards when a courier brought an urgent message stating that General George Washington was crossing the Delaware River. Rahl put the letter in his pocket and didn't bother to read it until the game finished. Then, realizing the seriousness of the situation, he hurriedly tried to rally his men to meet the coming attack. It was too late. His procrastination was his undoing. He and many of his men were killed, and the rest of the regiment was captured.

Unlike Colonel Rahl, Joshua was one commander who didn't hesitate to take action. The job ahead was a major one: lead the people of Israel across the flooded Jordan and into Canaan. Roaring downward toward the Dead Sea, the current of the Jordan is very swift at Jericho. In addition, the melting snows in the Lebanon mountains caused the river to overflow at this season of the year. The task must have been intimidating. You could understand if Joshua chose to stall as long as possible. But instead of procrastinating, he "rose early in the morning" and began to rally the people for the trip ahead of them.

When faced with tasks that are frightening or disagreeable, many people choose to put them off as long as possible. They find excuses to avoid unpleasant situations or make difficult decisions. But what a mistake that is. Often it only makes matters worse.

If you are faced with a challenging situation, don't procrastinate. Trust in God's strength and wisdom. Claim His promises of presence and protection. Then, get up "early in the morning" and go to it. At the end of the day, you'll be glad you did.

A job never started is a job never finished.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2006, 01:59:25 AM »

Scripture: 1 Peter 1:7 Joshua 3:7

Exalted by God

Joshua 3:7

And the Lord said to Joshua, "This day I will begin to magnify you in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with you."

Exalted by God

How quickly man-made greatness fades! Before he attacked Russia, Napoleon Bonaparte seemed to have the world at his feet. But the Russian invasion turned into a disaster and Napoleon, fearing his position at home was in danger, left the French army and hurried back to France almost unaccompanied. Arriving at a river crossing, Napoleon inquired of the ferryman whether many deserters had come that way. Not recognizing the famous leader, the man responded, "No, you are the first."

God does not deal in such fleeting fame. What He offered to Joshua was something far better than anything man could give. As Joshua responded in obedience to God's Word, the Lord assured him that He would exalt him. Just as God had brought honor to Moses, so would He bring honor and respect to Joshua. This would not be a human grab for glory, but a gracious gift from God.

God offers the same to every Christian. As we make Christ the center of our lives and His Word the focal point of all that we say or do, the Lord will bring to us a glory that will outlast any honor that man could bestow. While we may not always be recognized by the movers and shakers of this world, the Scriptures assure us that we will be revealed in all our glory when Christ returns (1 Pet.1:7).

Don't worry if those around you fail to praise you. Seek instead for the honor that comes from the Lord. That glory will last forever.

Eternal greatness can come only from an eternal God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Scripture: Joshua 3:13

Wet Feet

Joshua 3:13

"And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests who bear the ark of the Lord, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of the Jordan, that the waters of the Jordan shall be cut off, the waters that come down from upstream, and they shall stand as a heap."

Wet Feet

Years ago visitors at one of the national mints were told by a guide that if they first dipped their hands in water, a ladle of molten metal could be poured over their outstretched palms without burning them. A husband and wife were part of this group. "Perhaps you would like to try it," the guide said to the husband. The husband drew back sharply, "No thanks," he said. "I'll take your word for it." The mint employee turned to the wife. "Would you like to try it?" She replied, "Certainly." She pulled up the sleeve of her blouse and thrust her hand into a bucket of water. Calmly she held her hand out while the metal was poured over it. It's obvious that the husband believed at one level, but he wasn't willing to put his belief to the test. The wife believed on a completely different level. She was willing to take a risk.

Joshua and his people also were faced with a risk. They needed to cross the dangerous, flood-swollen Jordan. God had previously opened the Red Sea when the people had to cross it, but this time the priests had to step into the water first and trust the Lord to open the way as they went. They had to get their feet wet and trust that God would honor their faith.

Many Christians dislike taking risks. They want the way opened before they move out for God. Often He graciously honors their desire. But we must remember that a risk is only a risk if God doesn't go with you. We need to step out and trust that God will confirm our faith at the appropriate time.

If your way seems blocked today, step forward by faith. Be willing to get your feet wet and then wait for God to respond.

God honors wet feet, not cold feet.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2006, 09:17:45 PM »

Scripture: Joshua 4:21-22 Joshua 4:1-3

A Family Memorial

Joshua 4:1-3

And it came to pass, when all the people had completely crossed over the Jordan, that the Lord spoke to Joshua, saying: "Take for yourselves twelve men from the people, one man from every tribe, and command them, saying, ‘Take for yourselves twelve stones from here, out of the midst of the Jordan, from the place where the priests' feet stood firm. You shall carry them over with you and leave them in the lodging place where you lodge tonight.'"

A Family Memorial

The memory capacity of an ordinary human mind is astonishing. You may not consider yourself particularly good at remembering technical data, but think about how many faces you can recognize or how many names you can recall. Consider also how you are able to remember some past incident or how many words you can spell and define. Someone has estimated that in a lifetime, a brain can store one million billion "bits" of information. Yet how easy it is to forget the marvelous things that God does for us.

For that reason God commanded Joshua to select 12 men, one from each tribe, to pick up a stone from the dry riverbed and carry it to where they would lodge. These 12 stones became a reminder to the people of the miracle that the Lord performed for them. But this memorial was not for them alone. Joshua instructed the people, "When your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, ‘What are these stones?' then you shall let your children know, saying, ‘Israel crossed over this Jordan on dry land'" (4:21-22). These stones became a family memorial.

It's important for every family to have reminders of what the Lord has done for them. Perhaps you could keep a journal of God's blessings in your life. A friend of mine has a photo album that helps her and her family remember the Lord's goodness.

However you choose to do it, just do it. Begin today to build a family memorial to the Lord. Your grandchildren and great-grandchildren will thank you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 30, 2006, 09:19:01 PM »

Scripture: Joshua 5:9 2 Corinthians 5:17 Ezekiel 36:26

Rolled Away

Joshua 5:9

Then the Lord said to Joshua, "This day I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you." Therefore the name of the place is called Gilgal to this day.

Rolled Away

According to one source, Americans spend $50 million a year on subliminal message tapes designed to help them do everything from improve their self-image to learn a foreign language. Unfortunately, the National Research Council has concluded that subliminal messages simply don't work. Despite all the hype to the contrary, these tapes don't deliver the life-transforming changes they promise.

But there is one source who always delivers on His promises--God. As the Israelites prepared to enter the Promised Land, they needed to renew their covenant with God. This relationship required that circumcision be performed as a sign of the covenant. Those Israelites who left Egypt had been circumcised, but those males born during the wilderness wandering had not (vv. 4-5). It was now time for the younger generation to take their stand and have the "reproach of Egypt" rolled away.

Circumcision is no longer a sign of the covenant relationship with God. When Jesus died on the cross, the outward sign of circumcision was replaced with the inner presence of the Holy Spirit. He is the fulfillment of the promise in Ezekiel: "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh" (Ezek. 36:26). When the Holy Spirit comes in, the old life is rolled away and we become "a new creation" in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17).

This experience can be yours as well. If you are still walking in your old life, why not receive Christ today and let Him roll your sins away? The reproach of the past can be replaced with a hope for the future.

Christ doesn't improve you; He transforms you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »

Scripture: Joshua 5:13-15 Jeremiah 29:11

The 'What Man'

Joshua 5:13-15

And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, "Are You for us or for our adversaries?" So He said, "No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, "What does my Lord say to His servant?"

The "What Man"

While watching his father tune up the family car, a five-year-old boy announced, "I know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a ‘what man'!" His puzzled father asked him to explain, so the little boy elaborated, "A ‘what man' has a place where people bring their cars when there is something wrong with them, and he tells them what to do."

Israel had reached a point in their invasion plans where they also needed a "what man." Jericho was surrounded by fortified walls and defended by trained soldiers. Both were seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Yet as Joshua stood near the city, pondering what to do, the Commander of the Lord's army appeared to him. Most Bible scholars believe this to be a pre-incarnate appearance of Christ. Joshua fell down before Him and said, "Tell me what you want me to do."

Often in life we need a "what man." Situations arise leaving us totally confused about what to do. That's when we need to turn to the Lord. Only the Lord God is capable of being our "what man." He has a plan for us that works out all the "whats" and "whys" of life. Through Jeremiah the prophet, He said, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jer. 29:11).

Seek the Lord, read His Word daily, and find out what His will is for you. Avail yourself of His wisdom and you'll discover that He always knows what to do.

The "what" is never a secret to God.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the