Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Birth Control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birth Control?  (Read 1808 times)
Philippians 4:13

"A live dog is better then a dead lion." (Ecc 9:4)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2004, 02:18:46 AM »

The other night, as my wife and I were driving home from a long day, we heard something on the radio that kind of got our interest. It was a Christian radio show and the topic was birth control.

There was a female caller asking the host of the show to quote some examples of scripture for her on why birth control is a sin. He did, but the station was getting kind of fuzzy, and I thought maybe you guys might be able to shed some light on the subject. Is birth control a sin? If so, can you give me some examples of where scripture says this?

I would greatly appreciate it.

God Bless...
Robert

[shadow=slategray,left,down]"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, And die to find there isn't, Than live my life as if there isn't, And die to find out there is."[/shadow]  
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 06:29:11 PM »

I don't believe the Bible actually says that birth control is a sin.  I think the problem is in what you use to prevent pregnancy.

Some birth control "options" are nothing more than abortion.

Personally, I believe it is a personal choice between the couple and God.  Not everyone is equipped to have 20 kids - financially, physically, mentally or emotionally.

There are a 1000 factors in health of the mother, conception, pregnancy, delivery, and after birth issues.  For someone to say that God's Word gives an ultimatum, from my perspective, is not rightly dividing His Word.

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
The_8th_Person

"My best friend was born in a manger" - DC Talk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 12:17:27 AM »

Truly I don't know 100% sure because God doesn't realy say anything about it that I know of. But I believe as long as the birth control is not pretty much an abortion pill (I don't know alot about the kinds of pills they have) its alright like condoms (If your including them) for instance are fine I believe.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 12:39:35 AM »

The problem is, many people today have begun to idolize themselves, or positionally place themselves on the throne to speak for God, and they simply will not accept Christian admonition. Let us not forget that we are bondservants, and God has 'promised' that He would both provide for us, and that He would not put on us more 'trial' than we are able to bear. People today just don't want to hear that anymore, and they start to murmur (as the children in the wilderness) the minute faithful Christians bring up any idea about returning to faithful precepts concerning birth control.

Procreation is not the only reason for sexual relations. To that I would agree, but it is the major reason. The sexual act clearly has two purposes. The first is for the creation of God fearing offspring, and the second is for emotional satisfaction in fulfillment of bonding in the marriage relationship. Birth control idolatrously abrogates the first, and it elevates the second to the position of the sole purpose. This is a deliberate perversion of what God from the beginning, intended. The sexual bonding is an expression of the God Blessed intimacy between two people, which marriage is the institution of. Two become one flesh, indivisible because they are no longer two. And this marriage bond, demonstrated in love of husband for wife, God uses as a symbol for the love of Christ for His Church. The two purposes in marriage of bonding, and procreation were both ordained to work together hand in hand, the fulfillment of the will of God. But now man has cheapened God's law by his desire for "cheap intimacy." In love of Himself, he (like Onan) wants pleasure without responsibility, or it's natural results. I remember when young men looked forward to responsibility, now they disdain it. Man has lost that commitment that 'in all things,' we do to the glory of God.

If God be the giver of Children, then birth control is man making sure that God doesn't give us anymore. It is the determination of man to oppose the divine will. For God's will of blessing a relationship with children to be done, He will quite literally have to work a miracle within the body, to override man's contraceptive measures. To be sure, God both can, and has done this, but are we to tempt God this way? Must God go to such lengths in order that His divine will in creating children within the Christian family can come to fruition? Is this what Christianity and service to God has come down to? Our putting road blocks to God's natural creation process, and hoping He doesn't break through? Sadly, this is exactly where we are today.

Job 31:15  Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not One fashion us in the womb?

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life."

Psalms 119:73 Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments."

I guess, I have expressed my views enought, on this subject.

Follow the Glory of God.
Bob

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »

Bob,
   I totally concur with your thoughts.  Life is far less valueable in most of society than pets.
   However; we also have some physcial problems that have to be dealt with, honestly and compassionately.  The view that God will take care of all medical problems and to forge ahead with pregnancy is a simplistic and unrealistic position when the life of the mother is at stake.
    I have seen women put in a place of danger because of her health, and proper precautions not made to insure her safety as well as the child's.
    It is a delicate situation that must be prayfully considered and decided.  It is not an easy choice often times.
    It is true that God provides, but it is a matter of faith to live that way. Many couples are not mature spiritually or able to trust in God for provision.  I am not saying this is an excuse for birth control, but rather a sign of the times - we are not equipped to contend for the faith and that is a sad commentary for Christianity.

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 09:50:19 PM »

Well, here's my 2 cents on the issue:

I've come across many people who believe that all methods of birth control are sinful except natural family planning (NFP). However, if one is using NFP as a means to prevent pregnancy, I don't see the difference between that and someone using a means of birth control as long as it is not a means that is abortive. You should research and find out which ones are abortive. I know that the IUD is abortive, and I have heard that Birth control pills can be.

I know some people who are "full quiver" people. They believe that pregnancy should be left up to God and you should allow whatever happens to happen. I greatly admire these people, some of whom that I know have 5, 8, or 13 children. These mothers seem to be up to the task of having many children and I am so happy that God has blessed them.

I, however, do not feel qualified for such a task. I feel that the most important part of raising children is to make sure that I raise them to walk in truth, having fellowship with the Lord. Just judging myself and what I think I can handle, I don't think I would be able to do this if I had many children to raise.

And I have seen people who have large families, with only 2 years between each child and 9 months of those 2 years being spent pregnant with the next child, I know that I would not be able to handle that. When I am pregnant I am terribly sick for at least 4 months, only being able to keep down my breakfast every day. It's hard to be a good mother when you're miserable like that. Not to mention that going through this every 2 years is very hard on a woman's body, especially when your bodies nutrients are going toward the developing baby. Yet I know of some women who never feel better than when they're pregnant, and would love to be pregnant all the time.

So basically I think it's fine to say that it should be up to each couple to decide what they could handle, how they can best raise their little ones to serve the Lord. What a loss it would be if we had 20 children, but they grew up to deny the Lord because their parents were to distracted by having so many kids! I'm not saying that this happens with all families that have lots of kids. I'm just saying that I have seen this sort of thing happen when a couple has many children and the parents feel overwhelmed by them. I would rather be the proud parent of 2 or 3 Godly children than 20 rebelious children. But if someone feels up to the task of raising 10 or 20 Godly children, I think that's great, I wish I could. Children are a blessing from God, make no mistake about that.

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 05:25:34 AM »

I don't feel that birth control is wrong really.  Not if you are married and have children already.  There comes a point where one needs to be responsible.  Not all children are the same.  I couldn't imagine having 10 or 20 of my son around.  Someone no, someone'S would be hurting big time.  I couldn't afford to have so many children either and take care of them all either.  It really comes down to the individuals I think.  Now if you are trying to avoid having any children at all that would seem wrong to me.  Also your idea of preventing pregnancy.

"The pill" as we know it is not abortive.  Why do I get the feeling way too many people don't even know what it is.  It's just a dose of estrogen (except for a few days where it's a sugar tablet) which makes the body believe it is pregnant really.  So all that happens is the uteran wall won't allow an egg to "stick" to it which is what allows "the seed" if you will to find it.  When a woman is already pregnant the same thing happens for health and safety of the mother.  You wouldn't want to get pregnant after you were already going along.  If you think that's anything like an abortion than every time your "time of the month" comes around you are doing the same thing.  NFP is simply an attempt to "guess" when the woman is most fertile and avoiding sexual activities during that time.

LedByTheLamb

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 10:48:37 AM »

My honest opinion on this....

Well it says something in the bible about God rather having Man's seed go to a whore than onto the ground, doesnt it??? Can someone find that scripture or know the one Im talking about?
So that means that life is VERY valuable to God, even the seed that has not yet fertilized in woman.

I got my tubes tied after having our 3rd child, because we didnt feel we could afford another child and my son has a genetic bleeding disorder and there was a 50% chance that if our next child was a boy he would have it too, and its very expensive to take care of and hard to get insurance.
But the whole way to the hospital to get it done, I had such an uneasy feeling about it...I really feel like God doesnt like birthcontrol.
Yes, in part I believe you should graciously accept any child God would give to you, and lean on your faith in Him to know that He will provide.  On the other hand, I also believe that if you dont want more children you shouldnt be having sex..married or not.  But thats just me.

Dawn
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 11:42:48 PM »

The problem is, many people today have begun to idolize themselves, or positionally place themselves on the throne to speak for God, and they simply will not accept Christian admonition. Let us not forget that we are bondservants, and God has 'promised' that He would both provide for us, and that He would not put on us more 'trial' than we are able to bear. People today just don't want to hear that anymore, and they start to murmur (as the children in the wilderness) the minute faithful Christians bring up any idea about returning to faithful precepts concerning birth control.

Procreation is not the only reason for sexual relations. To that I would agree, but it is the major reason. The sexual act clearly has two purposes. The first is for the creation of God fearing offspring, and the second is for emotional satisfaction in fulfillment of bonding in the marriage relationship. Birth control idolatrously abrogates the first, and it elevates the second to the position of the sole purpose. This is a deliberate perversion of what God from the beginning, intended. The sexual bonding is an expression of the God Blessed intimacy between two people, which marriage is the institution of. Two become one flesh, indivisible because they are no longer two. And this marriage bond, demonstrated in love of husband for wife, God uses as a symbol for the love of Christ for His Church. The two purposes in marriage of bonding, and procreation were both ordained to work together hand in hand, the fulfillment of the will of God. But now man has cheapened God's law by his desire for "cheap intimacy." In love of Himself, he (like Onan) wants pleasure without responsibility, or it's natural results. I remember when young men looked forward to responsibility, now they disdain it. Man has lost that commitment that 'in all things,' we do to the glory of God.

If God be the giver of Children, then birth control is man making sure that God doesn't give us anymore. It is the determination of man to oppose the divine will. For God's will of blessing a relationship with children to be done, He will quite literally have to work a miracle within the body, to override man's contraceptive measures. To be sure, God both can, and has done this, but are we to tempt God this way? Must God go to such lengths in order that His divine will in creating children within the Christian family can come to fruition? Is this what Christianity and service to God has come down to? Our putting road blocks to God's natural creation process, and hoping He doesn't break through? Sadly, this is exactly where we are today.

Job 31:15  Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not One fashion us in the womb?

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life."

Psalms 119:73 Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments."

I guess, I have expressed my views enought, on this subject.

Follow the Glory of God.
Bob

Amen! DreamWeaver

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:52:55 PM »

My honest opinion on this....

Well it says something in the bible about God rather having Man's seed go to a whore than onto the ground, doesnt it??? Can someone find that scripture or know the one Im talking about?

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no verse in the Bible that teaches this. Many people think that it does but it does not. The passage they are thinking of is Gen. 38.

Gen 38:1  And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah. 2  And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her. 3  And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er. 4  And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan. 5  And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him. 6  And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar. 7  And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him. 8  And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. 9  And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. 10  And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also. 11  Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house. 12  And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah's wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite. 13  And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep. 14  And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her with a vail, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife. 15  When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face. 16  And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me? 17  And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it? 18  And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him. 19  And she arose, and went away, and laid by her vail from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood. 20  And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not. 21  Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the way side? And they said, There was no harlot in this place. 22  And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place. 23  And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her. 24  And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt. 25  When she was brought forth, she sent to her father in law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff. 26  And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

God bless
pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 08:26:12 PM »

Up until 1930 (Lambeth Conference, Church of England) contraception was considered sinful.

There's an article on the web written by Patrick Fagan that's one of the best I've ever read on the subject.  I don't know what denomination he is but, he's the William H.G. FitzGerald Senior Fellow in Family and Cultural Issues at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C.  Heritage has a website with loads and loads of moral issues articles.  Second thought, I'm not sure if it's Heritage.  The site I'm thinking of is UCMPage.org that has all the articles I mentioned.  I haven't read any other than the one I've mentioned. The article is titled, "A Culture of Inverted Sexuality."  It's reprinted on the following catholic website, also---------------------

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/se0049.html

The article is 9 pages long and well worth the time it takes to read it.

If anyone wants more information on Patrick Fagan, one could just probably type in his name in the search window.

Hope the article answers some questions for all of you.  I thought it was thought provoking and powerful.

Blessings,
cris

M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 09:46:30 PM »

Up until about 100 years ago or so, it was illegal in many countries to provide information about birth control or sell contraceptives.  Abortion was also illegal.  Divorce was not common either.  Living together was also illegal.

Contraception is nothing new.  Ancient cultures all have methods: some herbal, some even killed the babies.  There was a herb used in ancient Roman times that was so popular, it became extinct.  Obviously, we have forgotten why the laws against birth control were made in the first place.  

Many Christians believe family planning/child spacing/birth control is fine to use because they would rather trust in technology than in the Lord.  No one here has mentioned the heartbreak that infertile couples face.  

bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »

My Grandmother had 12 children. If you were asking her that question.. I'm sure she would have been all for 'birth control'
She had her last child at the age of 45. All of them were born at home. God bless her soul.

bluelake
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the