Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Wildfire rages in Los Angeles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wildfire rages in Los Angeles  (Read 740 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:15:04 PM »

Wildfire rages in Los Angeles 
600-acre blaze erupts between Hollywood, San Fernando Valley

Firefighters made progress early Wednesday against a wildfire blazing over Dante's View in the brush-covered hills behind the city's iconic Griffith Observatory. Animals at the nearby Los Angeles Zoo were moved indoors, and dozens of homes were evacuated.

The 600-acre blaze in sprawling Griffith Park was just one firefighters were battling across the nation. A wildfire in northern Minnesota has already destroyed 40 homes and buildings, and brush fires in Georgia and northern Florida have charred more than 200 square miles.

Overnight, five helicopters flew dangerous water-dropping missions in Los Angeles, helping fire crews get the blaze about 40 percent contained.

Griffith Park is a mix of wilderness, cultural sites, horse and hiking trails and recreational facilities set on more than 4,000 acres in the hills between Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley.

Visitors to its Greek Theatre, Observatory and the Museum of the American West were told to leave. At the Autry National Center, which includes a museum of Western artifacts, staff threw tarps over the collections to protect them in case the sprinkler system went off, said Faith Raiguel, chief operating officer.

The flames forced officials to put most of the Los Angeles Zoo's 1,200 animals inside holding quarters.

"So far the animals are faring fine," said Jason Jacobs, director of marketing and public relations for the zoo. "I haven't heard any reports of anything going wrong."

About 35 people who live near the park, out of an estimated 300 evacuated from nearby homes, checked in to an evacuation center at a high school.

"I was just able to get a few things," said Ed Stephan, 83, who helped his wife into their car as ashes fell from the sky. "We're not too worried but want to get out of here and observe the law."

Authorities hoped residents would be able to return to their homes by evening.

The fire destroyed Dante's View, a trailside terraced garden on Mount Hollywood, said City Councilman Tom LaBonge.

"This is a very sad night for Los Angeles," he said.

Elsewhere in the region, a 300-acre fire near California State University at San Bernardino was 75 percent contained. There were no reports of damages or injuries.

In neighboring Orange County, a 140-acre fire in Featherly Regional Park and a 1,250-acre fire on a training range at Camp Pendleton were at least three-quarters contained.

On the East Coast, authorities evacuated about 300 homes in northern Florida as two fires totaling 130,000 acres - about 203 square miles - continued to rage on the Georgia-Florida line. Florida officials warned that they might soon need help if the blazes grow out of control.

A 107,000-acre blaze in Georgia's Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge was called the largest blaze in state history and was nearing part of the park that has served as a fire crew command post. Another fire 10 miles away covered 40,000 acres.

The smaller fire crossed into Florida on Tuesday and was threatening Taylor, a small town with one store and no cell phone coverage, said Baker County Sheriff Joey Dobson.

In the Midwest, a wildfire near the Canadian border in northeastern Minnesota had burned 16,266 acres since it was spotted Saturday. It destroyed around 40 buildings, including multimillion-dollar homes, and forced more than 100 people to evacuate.

Authorities said they believe it started at a campsite just outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

"There are some houses up there where all there is left is the foundation," said Leif Lunde of the Cook County Sheriff's Department. No injuries were reported, but Lunde said about 30 of the burned buildings were homes or cabins.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »

It appears as though this is becoming the norm in CA.  They need to seriously pray.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:46:08 PM »

Amen to that. Calif is one of the most liberal states there is. With all the problems they have out there need to return to the Lord.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »

Amen to that. Calif is one of the most liberal states there is. With all the problems they have out there need to return to the Lord.

Well, there are Christians walking very closely with the Lord out here, as well as the opposite kinds of people, of course.

About the wildfire, I can see the park (small mountains) from my neighborhood....I can't smell the smoke and we are not getting any ashes, but I am not exercising outside.  A neighbor said she could see the fire from Wilshire Blvd and Vermont Ave....we can see the Hollywood sign and the Observatory from there.  I'm thankful the zoo was not in danger....we did lose a bird sanctuary and an old historic garden.  Homes were saved, only 1 roof damaged.  Griffith Park is over 4,000 acres.

We get wildfires each year as we have dry brush terrain.

A note:  The suburbs are usually the areas where the problems (mudslides, fires, etc) are experienced.  Here in the heart of the city we are safe from those....thank God!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:10:33 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

Well, there are Christians walking very closely with the Lord out here, as well as the opposite kinds of people, of course.

Amen, sister, there are definitely some wonderful Christians in Calif. I was referring to the judicial system  and a number of the politicians.   Wink

I understand from the news that the fire is now under control with just a few hot spots left.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:45:42 AM »

Amen, sister, there are definitely some wonderful Christians in Calif. I was referring to the judicial system  and a number of the politicians.   Wink

I understand from the news that the fire is now under control with just a few hot spots left.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

The firemen said they will watch for "hot spots" for the next few days.   817 acres were burned out of over 4,000...but it could have been more dangerous....they really have to fight these wildfires as they can "jump" with burning embers over to other sections.  One year flames even jumped a freeway.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

Debp, I also realize there are many good Christians, such as yourself, who are caught in the middle of the CA judicial system and politics.  I apologize if you misinterpreted my post.  I certainly did not intend to offend you, or any of the decent citizens of your state.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »

Debp, I also realize there are many good Christians, such as yourself, who are caught in the middle of the CA judicial system and politics.  I apologize if you misinterpreted my post.  I certainly did not intend to offend you, or any of the decent citizens of your state.

No offence taken....just speaking up for us often berated Californians!  Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the