Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is this how the virgin birth occurred?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this how the virgin birth occurred?  (Read 1865 times)
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2003, 12:50:16 PM »

There were prophecies given by inspired writers that He would be born a man. When Mary said, Be it unto me according to thy word, it was implanted in her womb and she conceived. The Word of God was the sperm in the natural sense?

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." (John 1:14)

"Being born again, not of corruptible SEED but incorruptible, which liveth and abideth forever." (1 Peter 1:23)

What do you think?

aw
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 04:16:14 PM »

This is a complex issue. I will quote the Eastern Orthodox answer to everything : “It’s a Mystery” Because, lets face it, that is what it is. I mean, did the egg divide into a zygote, did god put a holy sperm, did Jesus use any of Mary’s seed at all, or just the womb? Who knows. As the Eastern Orthodox say: “It’s a Mystery.” The How is a mystery. On top of that, the "How" is a non-issue, the fact that is did happen is what matters.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 10:18:38 AM »

Yeah, I know it can only be a theory, but it seems to fit with the idea of a SPIRITUAL birth since the word of God is called "SEED," and and the "Word becma flesh." In Revelation the Lord is called the "WORD of God."

Thanks for responding,

aw
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 10:36:23 AM »

You may have something there, the only problem is the word "implanted", as opposed to "brought forth" that which was made flesh.

I am thinking of; Heb 11:2-3;

"things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

I know you didn't mean a seed was implanted, but it is hard to articulate words of that which we are barely able to begin to comprehend.

But its a good thought, that needs to developed further, for clarification.

God Bless,

Petro

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »

Thanks Petero,
I was just thinking that a child was born but a SON was GIVEN.

aw
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 07:10:45 PM »

There were prophecies given by inspired writers that He would be born a man. When Mary said, Be it unto me according to thy word, it was implanted in her womb and she conceived. The Word of God was the sperm in the natural sense?

"Being born again, not of corruptible SEED but incorruptible, which liveth and abideth forever." (1 Peter 1:23)

What do you think?

aw
Matthew 1:18.  Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
 19.  Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
 20.  But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luke 1:30.  And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
 31.  And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.
 32.  He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
 33.  And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
 34.  Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
 35.  And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God......

...... Luke 1:37.  For with God nothing shall be impossible.

We should remember that God only has to speak it and it can be so. See Genesis 1.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 07:14:01 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 08:49:27 PM »

Correct and I was just wondering if our response has any influence?

aw
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 10:32:47 AM »

... The Word of God was the sperm in the natural sense?
What do you think?aw

aw:

To speak of "the word of God" as "the sperm" is to misunderstand Scripture.  "That which is of the flesh is flesh, and that which is of the Spirit is spirit".

The conception of Jesus Christ was a supernatural conception which had nothing to do with sperm and seed. It was simply a miracle. The WORD was always with God and is God, and Jesus of Nazareth was "the Word of God" -- the "expression" of God,  "the express image of His person" -- from eternity past, and will be in eternity future (Rev. 19:13). "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father" is how the Lord put it.

On the other hand, the Gospel is "the incorruptible seed" which is planted in our souls and bears fruit in the New Birth by the superantural power of the Holy Spirit.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 07:27:13 PM »

Thanks Petero,
I was just thinking that a child was born but a SON was GIVEN.

aw

aw

Actually the more I thionk about what you wrote, makes sense, since the Son that was given had to be born just as men are born from sinful flesh, speaking of His human body possessing the human nature in order to be fully representation of all mankind.

Good thought, I am sure this will be on my mind for awhile...

I like thought provoking ideas, it excersizes the brain..

Thank You, again

God Bless,

Petro

Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 08:11:41 PM »

Interesting thoughts. I also did a look up of first born and found some surprising things to add to meditation:

Jeremiah 31:9  They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.

Micah 6:7  Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

Exodus 4:22  And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Colossians 1:15  Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Hebrews 12:23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

The first born receive the double portion, the spirit. Speaking to Israel, Ephraim (the Church) by the prophet:

Ezekiel 37:14  And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 08:18:35 PM by Raphu » Logged

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the