Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 10:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Seventh Day Adventists
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Are Seventh Day Adventists (SDAs) Christians or a cult?
Christian - 15 (48.4%)
Cult - 13 (41.9%)
undecided - 3 (9.7%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seventh Day Adventists  (Read 14942 times)
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2004, 09:06:59 AM »

How come none of the SDAs have answered my question about pork?

Trev said:

Firstly, it because of our love for Christ and fellow man that we keep the 10 commandments. Jesus said "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15.

People seem to think that because we keep all 10 instead of 9 we are a bunch of legalists. Let us not mistake legalism for obedience. Jesus had to deal with the cold formalism of the Pharisees over and over again. And because He so thoroughly condemned the program of salvation by works, many have hastily assumed that He considered obedience unimportant. Now we need to see the beautiful balance in Christ's doctrine of faith and works. He taught that obeying in order to be saved is the worst kind of legalism, but obeying because we are saved is the acid test of a true religious experience. Obedience follows true faith just as surely as day follows night. Never forget that a legalist is one who believes that he can be saved by his works. The person who keeps the commandments because he doesn't want to displease the God he loves is not a legalist at all. There is nothing

So I asked which of the 10 Commandments prevents one from eating pork?
Still waiting for my answer.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2004, 06:56:57 PM »

1 Timothy 2:12  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Have you consulted the original greek text on the true translation of this text?[/color]

Grin

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2004, 08:57:57 PM »

Candice,

1 Timothy 2:12  But <de> I suffer <epitrepo> not <ouk> a woman <gune> to teach <didasko> , nor <oude> to usurp authority <authenteo> over the man <aner>, but <alla> to be <einai> in <en> silence <hesuchia>.

de
Pronounce deh

but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13, so 13, moreover 13, nevertheless 11, for 4, even 3, misc 10, not tr 300;

1) but, moreover, and,  etc.
---
epitrepo
Pronounce ep-ee-trep’-o

suffer 10, permit 4, give leave 2, give liberty 1, give license 1, let 1

1) to turn to, transfer, commit, instruct
2) to permit, allow, give leave
---
ouk
Pronounce ook

not 1210, no 147, cannot + 1410 57, misc 123

1) no, not; in direct questions expecting an affirmative answer

a primary word, the absolute negative [cf Strong’s #3361] adverb

3361 me  
Pronounce may

a primary particle of qualified negation (whereas ouk expresses an absolute denial); ; particle
---
gune
Pronounce goo-nay’

women 129, wife 92

1) a woman of any age, whether a virgin, or married, or a widow
2) a wife
2a) of a betrothed woman
---
didasko
Pronounce did-as’-ko

a prolonged (causative) form of a primary verb dao (to learn)

teach 93, taught + en(was 267, were 115, had been 12, had 11) 4

1) to teach
1a) to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses
1b) to be a teacher
1c) to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one’s self as a teacher
2) to teach one
2a) to impart instruction
2b) instill doctrine into one
2c) the thing taught or enjoined
2d) to explain or expound a thing
2f) to teach one something
---
oude
Pronounce oo-deh’

from ouk and de; ; conj  

neither 69, nor 31, not 10, no not 8, not so much as 2, then not 1, not tr 1, misc 14

1) but not, neither, nor, not even
---
authenteo
Pronounce ow-then-teh’-o

from a compound of autos (him 1952, his 1084, their 318, he 253, her 242, they 121, same 80, himself 58, misc 1679) and an obsolete hentes (a worker); ; v  

usurp authority over 1

1) one who with his own hands kills another or himself
2) one who acts on his own authority, autocratic
3) an absolute master
4) to govern, exercise dominion over one
---
aner
Pronounce an’-ayr

a primary word

man 156, husband 50, sir 6, fellow 1, not tr 2

1) with reference to sex
1a) of a male
1b) of a husband
1c) of a betrothed or future husband
2) with reference to age, and to distinguish an adult man from a boy
3) any male
4) used generically of a group of both men and women
---
alla
Pronounce al-lah’

but 573, yea 15, yet 11, nevertheless 10, howbeit 9, nay 4, therefore 3, save 2, not tr 2, misc 8

1) but
1a) nevertheless, notwithstanding
1b) an objection
1c) an exception
1d) a restriction
1e) nay, rather, yea, moreover
1f) forms a transition to the cardinal matter
---
einai
Pronounce i’-nahee

to be 33, be 28, was 15, is 14, am 7, are 6, were 4, not tr 11, misc 8

1) to be, to exist, to happen, to be present
---
en
in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62, through 39, misc 265
---
hesuchia
Pronounce hay-soo-khee’-ah

silent 3, quietness 1

1) quietness
1a) description of the life of one who stays at home doing his own work, and does not officiously meddle with the affairs of others
2) silence
-----------------------------------------------
Did you have a particular question?

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
BlackmanX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2004, 09:05:31 PM »

The  7th day adventist  are a  church,  not a   cult.  peace.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2004, 10:34:39 PM »

All sorts of people claim to be a church.
Church Universal and Triumphant:
AKA -- The Summit Lighthouse
The followers of Elizabeth Prophet
AKA -- Guru Ma
Makes the same claim, I lost a friend to this cult some 30 years ago.
http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/cut.html
Like you he can’t see that they are false.
The foundation of the SDA is sand.
Ellen was a false prophet. A blind leader.
Do you believe coal and oil burning under the earth is the cause of earthquakes and volcanoes?
Do you agree with your founder? She is your FOUNDATION.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Aiki Storm

I'm anything but a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2004, 01:29:27 PM »

I don't know much about the SDA.  I was on a road trip down in Georgia and I read several signs which said the mark of the beast is working on the sabbath.  I thought it was a joke but then my wife said that is a belief of the SDA.  Is that true?   Huh

I had also worked with someone who was a SDA and she told me that she didn't support unions because they were a cult.   Undecided  Does anyone know anything about this?  

Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
gman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »

"So I asked which of the 10 Commandments prevents one from eating pork?
Still waiting for my answer."

No one claimed it was a commandment, however it is found many times in the bible.  It is for health reasons.

Please see this site:  http://www.tagnet.org/thsda/articles/hall/meat.html

Adventists base EVERY belief on the bible, and not just verses here and there taken out of context.  

"Revelation 14:12 This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus."
gman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2004, 07:49:44 PM »

Huh?  Not leaving the house when you're on your period, and women not talking in church, and folks running around making women cover their heads, GET A LIFE!!!!

Get an eternal Life.  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!  Freedom from what?  Idiots that care about what's in and around their body are included in what we are freed from.  How about loving your neighbor enough to not be concerned about whether she's having her period when she leaves her house.  Hypocrits like the Pharasees worried about this stupid stuff.  Now their burning in hell too.   Cool

Grin

As far as judging adventist based just on some SDA's you know or heard of, that is highly judmental and shows ignorance.  How many old Babtist believes could we judge them on? Get real, the Adventists do not believe those things.

I don't bash the Babtists or Catholic's because they believe in eternel hell so why should the Adventist be bashed because they believe in fallowing God's law out of love for him?

If you want to follow the Pope, continue to worship on Sunday, as even the Catholic's admit changing the day of worship to Sunday.  If the day of worship doesn't matter, why would it be the fourth commandment, before even murder and stealing?  I don't know about you all, but I would rather follow all of the commandments of God, than to follow the law of man.

I don't want to sound hostile but getting bashed for my belief's in Jesus and the word of God gets me a little worked up.  Smiley

"Revelation 14:12 This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus."
gman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2004, 08:07:55 PM »

All sorts of people claim to be a church.
Church Universal and Triumphant:
AKA -- The Summit Lighthouse
The followers of Elizabeth Prophet
AKA -- Guru Ma
Makes the same claim, I lost a friend to this cult some 30 years ago.
http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/cut.html
Like you he can’t see that they are false.
The foundation of the SDA is sand.
Ellen was a false prophet. A blind leader.
Do you believe coal and oil burning under the earth is the cause of earthquakes and volcanoes?
Do you agree with your founder? She is your FOUNDATION.

The link you posted has NOTHING to do with Adventists.  You know nothing about SDA's yet blindly claim them to be a cult and have the nerve to give a link to some other cult.  Talk about false!

BTW, I have been an SDA for 5 years and have never been taught by the writing's of Ellen White.  Her writings are not tught, the Bible is taught.  Ellen White may have not been 100% correct (what human is?) but did have many correct teachings on health related issues (among other things).  She never claimed to be a propeht.  She was one of the origional leaders but she was never worshiped and nobody in the SDA church would accept any human's teaching over the Bible.  
Would I be safe in saying your religion is false because you read books written by other Christians that teach you things that are not illustrated in depth in the Bible?  I guess I could if I just blindly attached a link to some cult.

gman

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2004, 08:56:06 PM »

Here is a site on SDAs for those who are unfamiliar with it.

http://www.namb.net/root/resources/beliefbulletins/cults/seventh_day.asp

Even in this Southern Babtist site, the SDA's are not defined as a cult.  From the page you linked:
 "Thus the IWD does not designate the SDA as a cult However, the IWD designates the SDA as a Christian sect because they have a number of distinctive doctrines not in accord with historic Christian faith. This Belief Bulletin highlights those doctrines and provides biblical responses."

What ever.  I am not a Southern Babtist anyway.

Here is the Webster definition of a cult:

"Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion"

Based on the the first definition, I guess all Christian denominations can be classified as cults.

Here is the definition of the occult:

"Main Entry: 3occult
Pronunciation: same as 2
Function: noun
: matters regarded as involving the action or influence of supernatural or supernormal powers or some secret knowledge of them -- used with the"

Take one look at SDA's (http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html) and you will find no cult, rather a Bible loving people waiting for the great day that Jesus returns.

Peace!

Smiley

His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2004, 02:39:41 AM »

I don't know much about the SDA.  I was on a road trip down in Georgia and I read several signs which said the mark of the beast is working on the sabbath.  I thought it was a joke but then my wife said that is a belief of the SDA.  Is that true?   Huh

I had also worked with someone who was a SDA and she told me that she didn't support unions because they were a cult.   Undecided  Does anyone know anything about this?  

I don't know about the union thing.
However, I've watched enough of 3ABN (An SDA channel) to know that they do believe those who worship on Sunday are following satan.

I know that my SDA mom keeps praying that I'll see the error of my ways and stop going to a church that worships on Sundays and start going to the right church.
Then again, my Catholic mother-in-law keeps praying that me and my ex-Cath husband will see the error of our ways and start attending a Cath church.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2004, 02:25:45 PM »

Left Coast:
This browser dosn't support greek text.  So, I had to convert the test to symbols.  If you copy this text into a word editor and change the Font to "Times New Roman" it will convert it back into Greek for you. I figure it doesn't matter since all of us has to examine other languages closely.

Below are a list of a few greek words that refer to women.  The word that you're using doesn't encompass ALL women. ουσ. γυνή, (ενήλικη) γυναίκα: men, women and children άνδρες, γυναίκες και παιδιά # (ως προσφώνηση και υποτιμητικά:) κυρά: γυναικείο φύλο, "η γυναίκα": woman plays an important role in.. η γυναίκα παίζει σπουδαίο ρόλο σε.. # (με οριστικό άρθρο:) η γυναικεία φύση, "η γυναίκα": newborn babies bring out the woman in her τα νεογέννητα ξυπνούν μέσα της τη φύση της γυναίκας # μτφ. συμβία, σύζυγος: my woman refused to.. η γυναίκα μου αρνήθηκε να.. # (απαρχ.) θεραπαινίδα # ΦΡ. woman doctor γυναίκα γιατρός, κν. γιατρίνα § woman-hater μισογύνης § woman of easy virtue γυναίκα ελευθερίων ηθών § woman suffrage γυναικεία ψήφος § daily woman παραδουλεύτρα § deliver a woman ξεγεννώ γυναίκα § make an honest woman (out) of.. αποκαθιστώ την τιμή της.. § old woman γερόντισσα, γριά § there's a woman at the bottom of it! αναζητήσατε την γυναίκα! § woman's man ιδ. αβρός, ευγενικός (προς τις κυρίες) § woman's reason ιδ. ετσιθελισμός § women are necessary evils! η γυναίκα είναι αναγκαίο κακό! § women's rights δικαιώματα της γυναίκας § my good woman! χριστιανή μου! § scarlet woman 1. μοιχαλίδα > 2. πόρνη
2 woman doctor γιατρίνα # γυναίκα γιατρός # γυναίκα δοκτορέσσα. Δείτε επίσης: doctor - woman
3 woman hater μισογύνης. Δείτε επίσης: hater
4 woman of easy virtue γυναίκα αμφιβόλων ή ελευθερίων ηθών # γυναίκα ελευθερίων ηθών. Δείτε επίσης: virtue - woman
5 woman of virtue ενάρετη γυναίκα. Δείτε επίσης: virtue
6 woman plays an important role in.. η γυναίκα παίζει σπουδαίο ρόλο σε... Δείτε επίσης: woman
7 woman suffrage γυναικεία ψήφος. Δείτε επίσης: woman
8 woman with a past γυναίκα με παρελθόν. Δείτε επίσης: past
9 woman's man αβρός # ευγενικός (προς τις κυρίες). Δείτε επίσης: woman
10 woman's reason γυναικεία λογική # ετσιθελισμός. Δείτε επίσης: reason - woman

The scripture you're quoting about women teaching in church refers to a certain kind of woman.   It actually is only referring to certain women and the intonation is that the reference is to women that have a certain type of authority over men, a sexual type of authority--women aren't supposed to have sexual authority over men and use that to teach in church--.  Those women aren't allowed to teach in those men that they have the authority over in that certain church. This is NOT an all encompasing scritpture and it certainly doesn't refer to ALL woman or ALL churches.  It's actually talking about these certain types of instances when this certain chemistry is going on.  Unless you're saying that all women are prostitutes you can't say that all women can't teach in church.  Or the intonation is that if the men are going to church just to see the women there--duh!  It happens.  Suppose you're a man that wants to sit around and look at women and there's women in church teaching and those are the ones you want to be looking at.  Are you going to be learning anything about the Lord by going there?  No.  So, that's sort of what that scripture is referring to.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 02:31:10 PM by Candice Cavalier » Logged

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »

The scripture you're quoting about women teaching in church refers to a certain kind of woman.   It actually is only referring to certain women and the intonation is that the reference is to women that have a certain type of authority over men, a sexual type of authority--women aren't supposed to have sexual authority over men and use that to teach in church--.  Those women aren't allowed to teach in those men that they have the authority over in that certain church. This is NOT an all encompasing scritpture and it certainly doesn't refer to ALL woman or ALL churches.  It's actually talking about these certain types of instances when this certain chemistry is going on.  Unless you're saying that all women are prostitutes you can't say that all women can't teach in church.  Or the intonation is that if the men are going to church just to see the women there--duh!  It happens.  Suppose you're a man that wants to sit around and look at women and there's women in church teaching and those are the ones you want to be looking at.  Are you going to be learning anything about the Lord by going there?  No.  So, that's sort of what that scripture is referring to.

My font is Times New Roman but I don't understand your point.
I think symbol must change it entirely. I don’t see any words that resemble  the Greek word, ‘gunaiki’, that is used here.
It may help just to leave it in Times New Roman surround it with brackets [Times New Roman ] then I can change it to symbol.
You will also see the word ‘gunh’, it appears 73 times in the bible, including:

1 Timothy 2:11  Let the woman <gunh> learn in silence with all subjection.

Another word for woman that appears in these verses is ‘gunaikoV’. I could only search it out by dropping the V off the end. gunaiko appears 23 times.

1 Corinthians 7:1  Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman <gunaiko>.

This seems to be talking about a woman and sex.
A third word translated woman is ‘gunaika’

Matthew 5:28  But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman <gunaika> to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

This seems to fit more directly with the idea “men are going to church just to see the women there--duh!”
1 Timothy 2:12 does not have the word ‘gunaika’.
I underlined every place gunaiki  appears. 15 times in the bible. I don’t see how these verses support your definition, note Matthew 26:10, Luke 2:5, ETC.
Often it is translated wife, Ellen was married.

Matthew 19:5  And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Matthew 26:10  When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

Luke 2:5  To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

John 4:42  And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Acts 5:1  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

Acts 24:24  And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:3  Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife <gunh> unto the husband.

1 Corinthians 7:14  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife <gunh> is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

1 Corinthians 7:27  Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife <gunaikoV>? seek not a wife <gunaika>.

1 Corinthians 7:33  But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

1 Corinthians 11:6  For if the woman <gunh> be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

1 Timothy 2:12  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Revelation 12:14  And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
Revelation 12:16  And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
Revelation 12:17  And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

We also have additional verses commanding women, to be silent in the church.

1 Corinthians 14:34 ¶  Let your women <gunaikeV> keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1 Corinthians 14:35  And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women <gunaixin> to speak in the church.

Now we have the word ‘gunaikeV’ I also had to drop the V on this one.
It appears 16 times. Which woman is it in your explanations?
Lastly we have ‘gunaixin’, 8 times. What is the meaning of this?

I did my search at.
http://www.olivetree.com/bible/index.html
On the left hand side under versions select Greek NT.
Then I picked Interlinear Greek/English New Testament.
Then have fun!

gman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2004, 10:03:20 PM »

I don't know about the union thing.
However, I've watched enough of 3ABN (An SDA channel) to know that they do believe those who worship on Sunday are following satan.

I know that my SDA mom keeps praying that I'll see the error of my ways and stop going to a church that worships on Sundays and start going to the right church.
Then again, my Catholic mother-in-law keeps praying that me and my ex-Cath husband will see the error of our ways and start attending a Cath church.

If you really are interested in learning more about the Sabbath, this is a great site.  http://www.sabbathtruth.com

This site explains the mark of the beast as well.

Smiley

creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2004, 07:30:46 AM »

If Christ cooked a fish BBQ for His Apostles after His crucifixion. Why do you Adventists not eat fish?
Hmmm?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the