Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:42:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286832 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Confused
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confused  (Read 10549 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2003, 01:11:43 AM »

Concerning evolution--I heard a major scientist not long ago state that scientists were abandoning the "theory" called evolution by droves because modern science has been finding multitudes of new wonders which rule out the possibility that such complexities could come into existence without an intelligent designer..
Oft repeated, but simply not true.

Um... yeah, it is... Roll Eyes

... Nebraska Man, Neanderthal man and piltdown man. Real scientists have acknowledged for years that they are NOT real. If he hasn't learned that, we could say (as a pun) that he is really into "stone age science." There are new books out now about some of these hard science discoveries that are turning
Piltdown man was a hoax (and not a very good one), but Neaderthal man most certainly is not.

Which was proven to be a old human with arthritis Roll Eyes

There are new books out now about some of these hard science discoveries that are turning
REAL scientists away from evolution. Ask your pastore or a good Christian book supplier about them.
Real scientists don't learn about other peoples work from popular books, but from quality, peer-reviewed journals.

No, no, the book didn’t turn Scientists away, the book is ABOUT  things that are Scientists turning away, thing in peer-reviewed journals. Roll Eyes

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2003, 01:19:04 AM »

Quote:
Quote:
Concerning evolution--I heard a major scientist not long ago state that scientists were abandoning the "theory" called evolution by droves because modern science has been finding multitudes of new wonders which rule out the possibility that such complexities could come into existence without an intelligent designer..

Oft repeated, but simply not true.

Um... yeah, it is...
Creationists have been claiming that "scientists are turning away from evolution in droves" for years, and yet the vast majority of scientists still support it, and virtually no respected scientists do not.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2003, 01:21:03 AM »

Not "in droves" no. But enough.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2003, 09:17:58 AM »

alice:
I have a couple of gay friends who are really decent people.(One is actually a Christian, although not at my church)

Was Jesus offered anything when he was tempted in the wilderness?

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2003, 09:47:18 AM »

Spend time in the Word, Alice, just reading, daily.   And in prayer.  "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto thee".

Smiley

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2003, 03:55:03 PM »

Not "in droves" no. But enough.
Enough for what?   Show me evidence that there's any movement that way.   Show me a single respected scientific journal that takes creation science seriously.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2003, 08:40:58 PM »

Well, I can’t, because any “respected” journal would make an effort to not “take sides.” They mostly publish Lab reports from various studies and experiments, and theory from various Professor and Doctors.

Sym- agreed

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2003, 08:55:34 PM »

Smiley
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2003, 10:23:50 PM »

Well, I can’t, because any “respected” journal would make an effort to not “take sides.” They mostly publish Lab reports from various studies and experiments, and theory from various Professor and Doctors.
So you should be able to provide plenty of examples of them publishing papers arguing against evolution and for a 6 day creation.

Anyway, I thought you called yourself a Catholic Roll Eyes

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2003, 10:51:07 PM »

Or, you could provide plenty of examples of them publishing papers arguing a 6 day creation...

http://www.creationevidence.org/ Is always first. They have load of examples of published papers.

You lost me with the Catholic joke... Undecided

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2003, 02:28:13 AM »

Or, you could provide plenty of examples of them publishing papers arguing a 6 day creation...

http://www.creationevidence.org/ Is always first. They have load of examples of published papers.

Maybe you could point me towards a specific page, since I can't see anything even vaguely resembling a scientific paper on this site.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2003, 04:57:49 AM »

The Creation vs. Evolution Threads Are Closed

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2003, 08:21:09 AM »

I intend to speak to someone I know at church about all this stuff.
Speak to someone of faith in Jesus Christ and knowledge of God's will for man.

I don't think that Jon is telling me not to believe. He just seems so convinced about his views and it all made so much sense when he was talking.
Jon sure sounds like someone that could lead the weak in the faith away. Jon would make no sense to you if your faith were strong and secure in the Lord through His Holy Spirit. Rely more on yourself in the Lord and His word and less on Jon for the word of man.

Is there a good book on evolution you could recommend that really gives the facts?
Not on evolution as it is of man, but a good book of God, "The Bible".

If evolution is true and the world is older than the Bible says, how do I reconcile that with my faith?
The bible does not say how old is the earth. So this should not conflict with faith in Christ.

Jon says that faith alone is not a good enough reason to believe things, but I want to believe so much.
Because Jon does not realize there is more than just touching, feeling, hearing, seeing, smelling.

Thank you for the verses about slavery. I feel much better about that now. You are all so kind.

God bless you.

Smiley
ps one other thing:
I have always been taught that homosexuality is a sin and is wrong. Jon was suggesting that this is an unfair prejudice against gay people. I don't like the thought of treating anyone unfairly, but surely a sin is a sin? Where in the Bible does it say that you can't be gay? It isn't one of the commandments is it?
You should study this for yourself. Scripture of God is very clear on it. Get a good concordance and Bib;e and research it.

Support your local Christian.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2003, 08:38:04 AM »

Timothy, thank you very much for the link. That site looks interesting. I shall study what it says.

YW, just remember, the Bible has final Authority in regards to this.   I know some disregard Gods litteral word, but doing so skew's the rest of Gods word and supreme nature, man's fall into sin, and Gods promise of salvation.

Full stop!  

Admin says this topic is off limits so I respecfully obey  Smiley   If you have any other questions along this line feel free to send me a private message, and I will do my best to try and help.

On the subject of homosexuality, if we are not to take the old testament to be literally true, how do we know that being gay really is a sin? Sorry to push this point, but I have a couple of gay friends who are really decent people.(One is actually a Christian, although not at my church)

I don't believe I said that the OT should not be taken litterally.  I'm sorry if I gave you this impression.  What I mean was, that it must be taken in its entirety with all of Gods word.   Just to give you an example of how not doing this leads to major problems.

There was group of people who were wittnessed to inside the iron curtain many years ago.  Naturally, these christians were very hungry for the word of God.  They had gotten a small piece of one of the Gospels where Jesus is teaching ...

Mark 9:47
47  And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,
(NIV)

Only having this, they believed it was necessary to pluck their eyes out in order obtain salvation.   So we must be careful to take into account all of Gods word, not just a verse here and there.

About homosexuality.  Here are some places in the Bible that speaks to this.

Lev 18:22
22  Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
(KJV)

Lev 20:13
13  If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
(KJV)

1 Cor 6:9-10
9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,  (strongs dictionary implies sodamites here)
10  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
(KJV)

Rom 1:26-28
26  Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
27  In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
28  Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.
(NIV)

This is pretty strong language about inapropriate sexual behaviour.   Something else to consider, is that homosexuals seem to adamantly insist that there must be another explaination for these verses, because it would mean that their lifestyle is wrong.  Rather than accepting what Gods word says, they must try to twist the meaning of scripture to allow them to be acceptable by God, rather than admitting they are sinful beings and need Gods plan of salvation, repentance, and justification.   Quite a contrast.

Now, just because you have friends that claim to be homosexuals does not mean you cannot love those persons and pray for them.  Homosexuality is a sin just like any other sin and must be dealt with according to Gods plan of salvation by laying that sin at the cross, repenting of it, and never doing it again.  All people deserve to be treated with dignity as part of Gods creation.   Judgment will be served by God in due time.   However, this in no way means you should approve of their sin.   Don't compromise your wittness in favor of polotical correctness.   Gods word is offensive to sin and those who commit it.  Without realising one is living in sin, he would never understand the reason for salvation to begin with.   You are a light in a dark place.  Don't be affraid to let that light shine.   Consider this.  On judgment day, when God brings your friends before him and points out that they chose not to repent according to his word, will your friends have the chance to ask you why you never showed them where Gods word says this?   You are not passing judgment on them, Gods word is.  You are showing them love by showing them how to avoid Gods judgment, by accepting his gift of Grace and forgivness now.  It will be too late once the time of judgment comes.

I hope you find this helpful.

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 11:39:01 AM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
alice

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2003, 10:16:23 PM »

I guess that what is happening to me at the moment is that I am wanting to look beyond the Bible for evidence that what it says is true. Does God not want us to explore the world? I am a bit afraid that the evidence out there might contradict the word of the Bible but surely to not look at it is not honest?

I want to know the truth and I'm hoping that someone will tell me that that's ok with God. As much as I love reading Gods word I don't feel happy with not being allowed to examine the evidence for other views. I'm hoping that I'll find that the evidence points to my faith being correct, but surely God gave us minds for a reason.

Am I being a bad Christian if I examine the claims of other beliefs?
Surely God wants me to KNOW the truth rather than just believe it because I'm told to...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the