Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:08:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50478 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2006, 09:59:49 AM »

Ps 33:1 Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.

Ps 33:2 Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.

Ps 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Ps 33:5 He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.

Ps 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Ps 33:7 He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses.

Ps 33:8 Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

Ps 33:9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Ps 33:10 The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect.

Ps 33:11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

Ps 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Ps 33:13 The LORD looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.

Ps 33:14 From the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth.

Ps 33:15 He fashioneth their hearts alike; he considereth all their works.

Ps 33:16 There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.

Ps 33:17 An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength.

Ps 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;

Ps 33:19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.

Ps 33:20 Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.

Ps 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.

Ps 33:22 Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

continued

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:25 AM »

MHCC

Holy joy is the heart and soul of praise, and that is here pressed upon the righteous. Thankful praise is the breath and language of holy joy. Religious songs are proper expressions of thankful praise. Every endowment we possess, should be employed with all our skill and earnestness in God's service. His promises are all wise and good. His word is right, and therefore we are only in the right when we agree with it. His works are all done in truth. He is the righteous Lord, therefore loveth righteousness. What a pity it is that this earth, which is so full of the proofs and instances of God's goodness, should be so empty of his praises; and that of the multitudes who live upon his bounty, there are so few who live to his glory! What the Lord does, he does to purpose; it stands fast. He overrules all the counsels of men, and makes them serve his counsels; even that is fulfilled, which to us is most surprising, the eternal counsel of God, nor can any thing prevent its coming to pass.All the motions and operations of the souls of men, which no mortals know but themselves, God knows better than they do. Their hearts, as well as their times, are all in his hand; he formed the spirit of each man within him. All the powers of the creature depend upon him, and are of no account, of no avail at all, without him. If we make God's favour sure towards us, then we need not fear whatever is against us. We are to give to him the glory of his special grace. All human devices for the salvation of our souls are vain; but the Lord's watchful eye is over those whose conscientious fear of his name proceeds from a believing hope in his mercy. In difficulties they shall be helped; in dangers they shall not receive any real damage. Those that fear God and his wrath, must hope in God and his mercy; for there is no flying from him, but by flying to him. Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us; let us always have the comfort and benefit, not according to our merits, but according to the promise which thou hast in thy word given to us, and according to the faith thou hast by thy Spirit and grace wrought in us.

(my own observations)
Friends in this day and age almost everywhere we turn, almost everywhere we look, we see the human race degrading itself. We see organizations and groups of people who, even though they are enjoying the creations that without a doubt God made, and even though they cannot direct their next heartbeat or their next breath, because it is not in their hands, but in God's, they are still insisting on taking God out of everything and everywhere. They act as if it was an insult to them that there IS a GOD. God has reserved a day, a place, and a time for them to voice their opinion, individually there won't be any advocates and they will be proven wrong by the One whom they have rejected.
 Mt 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

NO human can add an hour to his life on earth, but the human spirit will live for eternity. Each and every human on the face of the earth has a choice to make. Where would you like to spend eternity? Folks it is so easy to make sure that your eternity is with God. By accepting the free gift of salvation and asking Jesus to be your Lord and Savior. (John 3:16)

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »

Ps 34

Ps 34:1 ¶ <<A Psalm of David when he pretended madness before Abimelech, who drove him away, and he departed.>> I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Ps 34:2 My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; The humble shall hear of it and be glad.

Ps 34:3 Oh, magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.

Ps 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears.

Ps 34:5 They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces were not ashamed.

Ps 34:6 This poor man cried out, and the LORD heard him, And saved him out of all his troubles.

Ps 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him, And delivers them.

Ps 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Ps 34:9 Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him.

Ps 34:10 The young lions lack and suffer hunger; But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing.

Ps 34:11 ¶ Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Ps 34:12 Who is the man who desires life, And loves many days, that he may see good?

Ps 34:13 Keep your tongue from evil, And your lips from speaking deceit.

Ps 34:14 Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.

Ps 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry.

Ps 34:16 The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, To cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.

Ps 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles.

Ps 34:18 The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.

Ps 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.

Ps 34:20 He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken.

Ps 34:21 Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous shall be condemned.

Ps 34:22 The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned.

Comments to follow

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2006, 09:31:47 PM »

MHCC

* David praises God, and encourages to trust him. (1-10) He exhorts to fear. (11-22)

1-10 If we hope to spend eternity in praising God, it is fit that we should spend much of our time here in this work. He never said to any one, Seek ye me in vain. David's prayers helped to silence his fears; many besides him have looked unto the Lord by faith and prayer, and it has wonderfully revived and comforted them. When we look to the world, we are perplexed, and at a loss. But on looking to Christ depends our whole salvation, and all things needful thereunto do so also. This poor man, whom no man looked upon with any respect, or looked after with any concern, was yet welcome to the throne of grace; the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The holy angels minister to the saints, and stand for them against the powers of darkness. All the glory be to the Lord of the angels. By taste and sight we both make discoveries, and have enjoyment; Taste and see God's goodness; take notice of it, and take the comfort of it. He makes all truly blessed that trust in him. As to the things of the other world, they shall have grace sufficient for the support of spiritual life. And as to this life, they shall have what is necessary from the hand of God. Paul had all, and abounded, because he was content, Php 4:11-18. Those who trust to themselves, and think their own efforts sufficient for them, shall want; but they shall be fed who trust in the Lord. Those shall not want, who with quietness work, and mind their own business.

11-22 Let young persons set out in life with learning the fear of the Lord, if they desire true comfort here, and eternal happiness hereafter. Those will be most happy who begin the soonest to serve so good a Master. All aim to be happy. Surely this must look further than the present world; for man's life on earth consists but of few days, and those full of trouble. What man is he that would see the good of that where all bliss is perfect? Alas! few have this good in their thoughts. That religion promises best which creates watchfulness over the heart and over the tongue. It is not enough not to do hurt, we must study to be useful, and to live to some purpose; we must seek peace and pursue it; be willing to deny ourselves a great deal for peace' sake. It is the constant practice of real believers, when in distress, to cry unto God, and it is their constant comfort that he hears them. The righteous are humbled for sin, and are low in their own eyes. Nothing is more needful to true godliness than a contrite heart, broken off from every self-confidence. In this soil every grace will flourish, and nothing can encourage such a one but the free, rich grace of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The righteous are taken under the special protection of the Lord, yet they have their share of crosses in this world, and there are those that hate them. Both from the mercy of Heaven, and the malice of hell, the afflictions of the righteous must be many. But whatever troubles befall them, shall not hurt their souls, for God keeps them from sinning in troubles. No man is desolate, but he whom God has forsaken.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »

Psa 35:1  <A Psalm of David.> Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
Psa 35:2  Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
Psa 35:3  Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
Psa 35:4  Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
Psa 35:5  Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
Psa 35:6  Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.
Psa 35:7  For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.
Psa 35:8  Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.
Psa 35:9  And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
Psa 35:10  All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
Psa 35:11  False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
Psa 35:12  They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
Psa 35:13  But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
Psa 35:14  I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
Psa 35:15  But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:
Psa 35:16  With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
Psa 35:17  Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
Psa 35:18  I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.
Psa 35:19  Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
Psa 35:20  For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
Psa 35:21  Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
Psa 35:22  This thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.
Psa 35:23  Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
Psa 35:24  Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
Psa 35:25  Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.
Psa 35:26  Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
Psa 35:27  Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
Psa 35:28  And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

Continued

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »

PS 35 MHCC
David prays for safety. (1-10)

1-10 It is no new thing for the most righteous men, and the most righteous cause, to meet with enemies. This is a fruit of the old enmity in the seed of the serpent against the Seed of the woman. David in his afflictions, Christ in his sufferings, the church under persecution, and the Christian in the hour temptation, all beseech the Almighty to appear in their behalf, and to vindicate their cause. We are apt to justify uneasiness at the injuries men do us, by our never having given them cause to use us so ill; but this should make us easy, for then we may the more expect that God will plead our cause. David prayed to God to manifest himself in his trial. Let me have inward comfort under all outward troubles, to support my soul. If God, by his Spirit, witness to our spirits that he is our salvation, we need desire no more to make us happy. If God is our Friend, no matter who is our enemy. By the Spirit of prophecy, David foretells the just judgments of God that would come upon his enemies for their great wickedness. These are predictions, they look forward, and show the doom of the enemies of Christ and his kingdom. We must not desire or pray for the ruin of any enemies, except our lusts and the evil spirits that would compass our destruction. A traveller benighted in a bad road, is an expressive emblem of a sinner walking in the slippery and dangerous ways of temptation. But David having committed his cause to God, did not doubt of his own deliverance. The bones are the strongest parts of the body. The psalmist here proposes to serve and glorify God with all his strength. If such language may be applied to outward salvation, how much more will it apply to heavenly things in Christ Jesus!

He complains of his enemies. (11-16)

11-16 Call a man ungrateful, and you can call him no worse: this was the character of David's enemies. Herein he was a type of Christ. David shows how tenderly he had behaved towards them in afflictions. We ought to mourn for the sins of those who do not mourn for themselves. We shall not lose by the good offices we do to any, how ungrateful soever they may be. Let us learn to possess our souls in patience and meekness like David, or rather after Christ's example.

And calls upon God to support him. (17-28)

17-28 Though the people of God are, and study to be, quiet, yet it has been common for their enemies to devise deceitful matters against them. David prays, My soul is in danger, Lord, rescue it; it belongs to thee the Father of spirits, therefore claim thine own; it is thine, save it! Lord, be not far from me, as if I were a stranger. He who exalted the once suffering Redeemer, will appear for all his people: the roaring lion shall not destroy their souls, any more than he could that of Christ, their Surety. They trust their souls in his hands, they are one with him by faith, are precious in his sight, and shall be rescued from destruction, that they may give thanks in heaven.

My words
Humans tend to complain when things seem to be out of their control, the fact of the matter is that most of the time things are out of our control, we must come to terms with that. We must also understand that no matter what we are going through God is in control regardless of what the circumstances are, He is able to help us in our every need. I have come to find that since it is in our human nature to complain, about things, finances, health issues, anything and everything we can complain about we more than likely will. It  does much good to share with another person the things we go through and they can help us see things more clearly, pray for us, and give us moral support. But the fact still remains that these individuals are also facing their own difficulties in life and their means are limited, as much as they would like to be able to do more. But God, ( I love that phrase, BUT GOD), is able to do all things. He does not mind at all if we complain to Him, David complained to God all the time, he was aware that God was always ready to listen to him and he knew that he could always count on God to deliver him. It would be wise for us to learn a lesson from King David, whom God called a man after His own heart.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2006, 08:43:17 AM »

Ps.36

Ps 36:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD.>> The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes.

Ps 36:2 For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful.

Ps 36:3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good.

Ps 36:4 He deviseth mischief upon his bed; he setteth himself in a way that is not good; he abhorreth not evil.

Ps 36:5 ¶ Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.

Ps 36:6 Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast.

Ps 36:7 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

Ps 36:8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.

Ps 36:9 For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.

Ps 36:10 O continue thy lovingkindness unto them that know thee; and thy righteousness to the upright in heart.

Ps 36:11 Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me.

Ps 36:12 There are the workers of iniquity fallen: they are cast down, and shall not be able to rise.

MHCC

The bad state of the wicked. (1-4)

1-4 From this psalm our hearts should be duly affected with hatred of sin, and seek satisfaction in God's loving-kindness. Here is the root of bitterness, from which all the wickedness of wicked men comes. It takes rise from contempt of God, and the want of due regard to him. Also from the deceit they put upon their own souls. Let us daily beg of God to preserve us from self-flattery. Sin is very hurtful to the sinner himself, and therefore ought to be hateful; but it is not so. It is no marvel, if those that deceive themselves, seek to deceive all mankind; to whom will they be true, who are false to their own souls? It is bad to do mischief, but worse to devise it, to do it with plot and management. If we willingly banish holy meditations in our solitary hours, Satan will soon occupy our minds with sinful imaginations. Hardened sinners stand to what they have done, as though they could justify it before God himself.

The goodness of God. (5-12)

5-12 Men may shut up their compassion, yet, with God we shall find mercy. This is great comfort to all believers, plainly to be seen, and not to be taken away. God does all wisely and well; but what he does we know not now, it is time enough to know hereafter. God's loving-kindness is precious to the saints. They put themselves under his protection, and then are safe and easy. Gracious souls, though still desiring more of God, never desire more than God. The gifts of Providence so far satisfy them, that they are content with such things as they have. The benefit of holy ordinances is sweet to a sanctified soul, and strengthening to the spiritual and Divine life. But full satisfaction is reserved for the future state. Their joys shall be constant. God not only works in them a gracious desire for these pleasures, but by his Spirit fills their souls with joy and peace in believing. He quickens whom he will; and whoever will, may come, and take from him of the waters of life freely. May we know, and love, and uprightly serve the Lord; then no proud enemy, on earth or from hell, shall separate us from his love. Faith calleth things that are not, as though they were. It carries us forward to the end of time; it shows us the Lord, on his throne of judgment; the empire of sin fallen to rise no more.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »

Ps 37

(This Psalm is a long Psalm so I will be posting it in portions)

Ps 37:1 ¶ <<A Psalm of David.>> Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.

Ps 37:2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

Ps 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

Ps 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Ps 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Ps 37:6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

MHCC

1-6 When we look abroad we see the world full of evil-doers, that flourish and live in ease. So it was seen of old, therefore let us not marvel at the matter. We are tempted to fret at this, to think them the only happy people, and so we are prone to do like them: but this we are warned against. Outward prosperity is fading. When we look forward, with an eye of faith, we shall see no reason to envy the wicked. Their weeping and wailing will be everlasting. The life of religion is a believing trust in the Lord, and diligent care to serve him according to his will. It is not trusting God, but tempting him, if we do not make conscience of our duty to him. A man's life consists not in abundance, but, Thou shalt have food convenient for thee. This is more than we deserve, and it is enough for one that is going to heaven. To delight in God is as much a privilege as a duty. He has not promised to gratify the appetites of the body, and the humours of the fancy, but the desires of the renewed, sanctified soul. What is the desire of the heart of a good man? It is this, to know, and love, and serve God. Commit thy way unto the Lord; roll thy way upon the Lord, so the margin reads it. Cast thy burden upon the Lord, the burden of thy care. We must roll it off ourselves, not afflict and perplex ourselves with thoughts about future events, but refer them to God. By prayer spread thy case and all thy cares before the Lord, and trust in him. We must do our duty, and then leave the event with God. The promise is very sweet: He shall bring that to pass, whatever it is, which thou has committed to him.

Additional verses to meditate upon;
Ps 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

Ps 73:3 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Pr 23:17 ¶ Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

1Pe 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »

Ps 37 (continued)

Ps 37:7 ¶ Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Ps 37:8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

Ps 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

Ps 37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

Ps 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Ps 37:12 The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.

Ps 37:13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

Ps 37:14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.

Ps 37:15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.

Ps 37:16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.

Ps 37:17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.

Ps 37:18 The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.

Ps 37:19 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.

Ps 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

MHCC

7-20 Let us be satisfied that God will make all to work for good to us. Let us not discompose ourselves at what we see in this world. A fretful, discontented spirit is open to many temptations. For, in all respects, the little which is allotted to the righteous, is more comfortable and more profitable than the ill-gotten and abused riches of ungodly men. It comes from a hand of special love. God provides plentifully and well, not only for his working servants, but for his waiting servants. They have that which is better than wealth, peace of mind, peace with God, and then peace in God; that peace which the world cannot give, and which the world cannot have. God knows the believer's days. Not one day's work shall go unrewarded. Their time on earth is reckoned by days, which will soon be numbered; but heavenly happiness shall be for ever. This will be a real support to believers in evil times. Those that rest on the Rock of ages, have no reason to envy the wicked the support of their broken reeds.

Additional verses to meditate upon

Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Heb 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »

Ps 37 (continued)

Ps 37:21 ¶ The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.

Ps 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

Ps 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Ps 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Ps 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Ps 37:26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.

Ps 37:27 Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.

Ps 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

Ps 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Ps 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.

Ps 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

Ps 37:32 The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.

Ps 37:33 The LORD will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged.

MHCC

21-33 The Lord our God requires that we do justly, and render to all their due. It is a great sin for those that are able, to deny the payment of just debts; it is a great misery not to be able to pay them. He that is truly merciful, will be ever merciful. We must leave our sins; learn to do well, and cleave to it. This is true religion. The blessing of God is the spring, sweetness, and security of all earthly enjoyments. And if we are sure of this, we are sure not to want any thing good for us in this world. By his grace and Holy Spirit, he directs the thoughts, affections, and designs of good men. By his providence he overrules events, so as to make their way plain. He does not always show them his way for a distance, but leads them step by step, as children are led. God will keep them from being ruined by their falls, either into sin or into trouble, though such as fall into sin will be sorely hurt. Few, if any, have known the consistent believer, or his children, reduced to abject, friendless want. God forsakes not his saints in affliction; and in heaven only the righteous shall dwell for ever; that will be their everlasting habitation. A good man may fall into the hands of a messenger of satan, and be sorely buffeted, but God will not leave him in his enemy's hands.

Additional verses to meditate

Pr 3:33 The curse of the LORD is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.

Isa 58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

2Pe 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »

Ps 37 (continued)

Ps 37:34 ¶ Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

Ps 37:35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

Ps 37:36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

Ps 37:37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.

Ps 37:38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.

Ps 37:39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.

Ps 37:40 And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.

MHCC

34-40 Duty is ours, and we must mind it; but events are God's, we must refer the disposal of them to him. What a striking picture is in ver. 35,36, of many a prosperous enemy of God! But God remarkably blights the projects of the prosperous wicked, especially persecutors. None are perfect in themselves, but believers are so in Christ Jesus. If all the saint's days continue dark and cloudy, his dying day may prove comfortable, and his sun set bright; or, if it should set under a cloud, yet his future state will be everlasting peace. The salvation of the righteous will be the Lord's doing. He will help them to do their duties, to bear their burdens; help them to bear their troubles well, and get good by them, and, in due time, will deliver them out of their troubles. Let sinners then depart from evil, and do good; repent of and forsake sin, and trust in the mercy of God through Jesus Christ. Let them take his yoke upon them, and learn of him, that they may dwell for evermore in heaven. Let us mark the closing scenes of different characters, and always depend on God's mercy.

Additional verses for meditation

Isa 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Isa 57:2 He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »

Ps 38

Ps 38:1 ¶ <<A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance.>> O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

Ps 38:2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.

Ps 38:3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin

Ps 38:4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.

Ps 38:5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.

Ps 38:6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.

Ps 38:7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

Ps 38:8 I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.

Ps 38:9 Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee.

Ps 38:10 My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.

Ps 38:11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.

Ps 38:12 ¶ They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.

Ps 38:13 But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.

Ps 38:14 Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.

Ps 38:15 For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.

Ps 38:16 For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.

Ps 38:17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.

Ps 38:18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

Ps 38:19 But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.

Ps 38:20 They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good is.

Ps 38:21 Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.

Ps 38:22 Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

Commentary to follow

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »

MHCC

PS 38

God's displeasure at sin. (1-11)

1-11 Nothing will disquiet the heart of a good man so much as the sense of God's anger. The way to keep the heart quiet, is to keep ourselves in the love of God. But a sense of guilt is too heavy to bear; and would sink men into despair and ruin, unless removed by the pardoning mercy of God. If there were not sin in our souls, there would be no pain in our bones, no illness in our bodies. The guilt of sin is a burden to the whole creation, which groans under it. It will be a burden to the sinners themselves, when they are heavy-laden under it, or a burden of ruin, when it sinks them to hell. When we perceive our true condition, the Good Physician will be valued, sought, and obeyed. Yet many let their wounds rankle, because they delay to go to their merciful Friend. When, at any time, we are distempered in our bodies, we ought to remember how God has been dishonoured in and by our bodies. The groanings which cannot be uttered, are not hid from Him that searches the heart, and knows the mind of the Spirit. David, in his troubles, was a type of Christ in his agonies, of Christ on his cross, suffering and deserted.

The psalmist's sufferings and prayers. (12-22)

12-22 Wicked men hate goodness, even when they benefit by it. David, in the complaints he makes of his enemies, seems to refer to Christ. But our enemies do us real mischief only when they drive us from God and our duty. The true believer's trouble will be made useful; he will learn to wait for his God, and will not seek relief from the world or himself. The less we notice the unkindness and injuries that are done us, the more we consult the quiet of our own minds. David's troubles were the chastisement and the consequence of his transgressions, whilst Christ suffered for our sins and ours only. What right can a sinner have to yield to impatience or anger, when mercifully corrected for his sins? David was very sensible of the present workings of corruption in him. Good men, by setting their sorrow continually before them, have been ready to fall; but by setting God always before them, they have kept their standing. If we are truly penitent for sin, that will make us patient under affliction. Nothing goes nearer to the heart of a believer when in affliction, than to be under the apprehension of God's deserting him; nor does any thing come more feelingly from his heart than this prayer, "Be not far from me." The Lord will hasten to help those who trust in him as their salvation.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »

PS 39

Ps 39:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, even to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.>> I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Ps 39:2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.

Ps 39:3 My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,

Ps 39:4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.

Ps 39:5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

Ps 39:6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

Ps 39:7 ¶ And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee.

Ps 39:8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.

Ps 39:9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it.

Ps 39:10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.

Ps 39:11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.

Ps 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.

Ps 39:13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.

MHCC

David meditates on man's frailty. (1-6)

1-6 If an evil thought should arise in the mind, suppress it. Watchfulness in the habit, is the bridle upon the head; watchfulness in acts, is the hand upon the bridle. When not able to separate from wicked men, we should remember they will watch our words, and turn them, if they can, to our disadvantage. Sometimes it may be necessary to keep silence, even from good words; but in general we are wrong when backward to engage in edifying discourse. Impatience is a sin that has its cause within ourselves, and that is, musing; and its ill effects upon ourselves, and that is no less than burning. In our greatest health and prosperity, every man is altogether vanity, he cannot live long; he may die soon. This is an undoubted truth, but we are very unwilling to believe it. Therefore let us pray that God would enlighten our minds by his Holy Spirit, and fill our hearts with his grace, that we may be ready for death every day and hour.

He applies for pardon and deliverance. (7-13)

7-13 There is no solid satisfaction to be had in the creature; but it is to be found in the Lord, and in communion with him; to him we should be driven by our disappointments. If the world be nothing but vanity, may God deliver us from having or seeking our portion in it. When creature-confidences fail, it is our comfort that we have a God to go to, a God to trust in. We may see a good God doing all, and ordering all events concerning us; and a good man, for that reason, says nothing against it. He desires the pardoning of his sin, and the preventing of his shame. We must both watch and pray against sin. When under the correcting hand of the Lord, we must look to God himself for relief, not to any other. Our ways and our doings bring us into trouble, and we are beaten with a rod of our own making. What a poor thing is beauty! and what fools are those that are proud of it, when it will certainly, and may quickly, be consumed! The body of man is as a garment to the soul. In this garment sin has lodged a moth, which wears away, first the beauty, then the strength, and finally the substance of its parts. Whoever has watched the progress of a lingering distemper, or the work of time alone, in the human frame, will feel at once the force of this comparison, and that, surely every man is vanity. Afflictions are sent to stir up prayer. If they have that effect, we may hope that God will hear our prayer. The believer expects weariness and ill treatment on his way to heaven; but he shall not stay here long: walking with God by faith, he goes forward on his journey, not diverted from his course, nor cast down by the difficulties he meets. How blessed it is to sit loose from things here below, that while going home to our Father's house, we may use the world as not abusing it! May we always look for that city, whose Builder and Maker is God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »

PS 40

Ps 40:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

Ps 40:2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

Ps 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Ps 40:4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

Ps 40:5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

Ps 40:6 ¶ Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

Ps 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Ps 40:9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.

Ps 40:10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

Ps 40:11 ¶ Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.

Ps 40:12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.

Ps 40:13 Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.

Ps 40:14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

Ps 40:15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.

Ps 40:16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified.

Ps 40:17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

MHCC

Confidence for deliverance. (1-5)

1-5 Doubts and fears about the eternal state, are a horrible pit and miry clay, and have been so to many a dear child of God. There is power enough in God to help the weakest, and grace enough to help the unworthiest of all that trust in him. The psalmist waited patiently; he continued believing, hoping, and praying. This is applicable to Christ. His agony, in the garden and on the cross, was a horrible pit and miry clay. But those that wait patiently for God do not wait in vain. Those that have been under religious melancholy, and by the grace of God have been relieved, may apply ver. 2 very feelingly to themselves; they are brought up out of a horrible pit. Christ is the Rock on which a poor soul can alone stand fast. Where God has given stedfast hope, he expects there should be a steady, regular walk and conduct. God filled the psalmist with joy, as well as peace in believing. Multitudes, by faith beholding the sufferings and glory of Christ, have learned to fear the justice and trust in the mercy of God through Him. Many are the benefits with which we are daily loaded, both by the providence and by the grace of God.

continued on page 2

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the