Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Type of Music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Type of Music  (Read 1636 times)
gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »

Well this is a hot topic...

What you guys think about christian listening to other type of music?

For example soul, R&B etc...
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 05:35:55 PM »

Considering how bad Christian music is, I don’t think we are given much of a choice. Roll Eyes Wink

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
The Crusader
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 04:21:12 AM »

Considering how bad Christian music is, I don’t think we are given much of a choice. Roll Eyes Wink

I thought you liked Christian music.

The Crusader
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 08:52:05 AM »

Yes, I do like Christian music. Robert Byrd, Thomas Tallis, talented men of God who know how the write Christian music. Smiley Hardly anything afterr 1970. I have strong feelings against Christian music today.

As I said before, the Christian and Secular Industry is all the same. We just caved in and started acting like them. We need to be set apart. The only difference between the Christian and Secular music today is that when the Christian’s say “God” is isn’t bleeped out for radio play. There is a difference between “Christian music” and “Christians who play music.” We have forgotten that. We are just copying the world. The world should be trying to run things the way we do it, NOT the other way around.

I Brake for Jesus

My God Can Beat Your God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 05:03:10 PM »

As long as it's clean I don't see a problem. Like, most rap songs are degrading towards women. That kind of thing you should avoid. Cursing- meh, if you're against it, don't listen to it. The kind of music you listen to can and does reflect the kind of person you are. It's the "what goes in comes out" theory here.

"Because he loves me," says the LORD , "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
Psalm 91:14-15
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 07:26:43 PM »

Yes, I do like Christian music. Robert Byrd, Thomas Tallis, talented men of God who know how the write Christian music. Smiley Hardly anything afterr 1970. I have strong feelings against Christian music today.

As I said before, the Christian and Secular Industry is all the same. We just caved in and started acting like them. We need to be set apart. The only difference between the Christian and Secular music today is that when the Christian’s say “God” is isn’t bleeped out for radio play. There is a difference between “Christian music” and “Christians who play music.” We have forgotten that. We are just copying the world. The world should be trying to run things the way we do it, NOT the other way around.
Christian musicians and singers today for the most part are very hard put to seperate themselves from the worldy image of "rock-n-roll" and all that goes with it. The old saying goes, "if it walks like a duck it must be a duck."

Other types of music have to be scrutinized for content just as the whole world of things heathen has to be. Many are best left ignored.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 07:31:47 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »

"if it walks like a duck it must be a duck."
Hey, partner, you left out two ifs:  quack and swim.  (I walk like John Wayne – but I ain’t him!) Grin

I am old enough to remember the early years of rock and roll.  Elvis was “shot in the knees” by ‘Christian’ zealots for the swiveling of his hips and the “singing of n*gger music.”.  (FYI: That is a direct historical quote – and is NOT intended to be racist!).  
However, now days some of the best selling gospel albums are collections of Elvis singing about the Lord.  My, my – how things change.

I am certainly not a fan of hip-hop or new-age or punk-rock or what ever you want to call it.  However if The Message is true and is received by someone who otherwise would not receive The Message, then I cannot find it in my heard to deny the method of delivery.  “The proof is in the fruit that it bears” – is that not true?  

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nancy8867

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 06:24:45 PM »

Okay, I am going to defend Christian music of today.  I was listening to country when our radio station would play the same songs over and over and over.   Sad  So, I turned it to the local Christian station just to see if there was something I liked.  Now that is all I listen to.  Not every song, but some really speak to me.  If I am down, a song will come on and remind me that there is someone out there that exactly knows how I feel.  I have never had music talk to me the way this music does.  I love it! Grin
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 08:16:08 AM »

Okay, I am going to defend Christian music of today.  I was listening to country when our radio station would play the same songs over and over and over.   Sad  So, I turned it to the local Christian station just to see if there was something I liked.  Now that is all I listen to.  Not every song, but some really speak to me.  If I am down, a song will come on and remind me that there is someone out there that exactly knows how I feel.  I have never had music talk to me the way this music does.  I love it! Grin

I feel the same way Nancy8867.

This might be a bit long, but I had a few thoughts I would like to share.

Being a former secular musician, I have given this much thought.   Music in general, was created by God, just as Satan was created by God.  Both were created for the purpose of worshiping and glorifying him.  I know there are a great many christians who feel as though contemporary christian music is a bad thing (and maybe taste wise for some, it is), because it sounds like the world.  I can understand this view to certain degree and certainly would not want to force those who feel this way to just accept it.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, if music brings our hearts to focus on the Lord, and it glorifys him, isn't that what he wants?    To keep our minds and hearts stayed on him?   Music is an expression of the soul, and whats in the heart.   If its inspired by evil, it will portray that and should be avoided.  If its inspired by God, then it will portray that.

At the same time, we know that most people have different taste in styles.  Kind of like food if you will.  I never hear Christians say that we should not eat at Burger King because we must come out of the world and be different (not that we shouldn't be careful of unhealthy foods  Wink  ).   We give thanks no matter where we eat do we not?   But we all have different preferences of what we like to eat.

Consider this....

If we went to chruch next Sunday and heard Bible day music during worship hour, most of us would probably be in culture shock....lol...and would probably find it difficult to focus our hearts on him in worship.   Music speaks to the heart, and reflects our emotions.   If any music causes you to stumble, and glorifies the world, avoid it!   Listen to music that glorifies the Lord, and lifts your heart to him.   It should reflect our admiration and love for him.   Inspired by him!   I hope I am in line with scripture here, but I think this is a good starting point.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and glorify the King of Kings.

Grace and Peace

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Reba
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »

I had to sneak to hear Elvis  he was SIN yup  just like  Judge has said. But i did I knew most of the words to most of his songs. His effect on me is still there. I will not listen to him sing hymns because my 'feelings' and the words dont match. I think ya get my drift. I wish as a teen i had had some one like Carman to listen to, the words of the songs drumming in my head would have been 'better'. The words to  "This Blood is for You! powerfull song.. Back in the early 50tys  christian music was way different very borning.

Many churches today do not understand the difference between a  great 'Jesus pep rally' and worship....

Christians should have never gotten out of the main stream of daily life. We left the enterainment world to satans grip. That  would be another thread....
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 11:05:45 AM »

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and glorify the King of Kings.

Grace and Peace
AMEN!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »

Never heard much Christian music personally, well aside from hymns and things. What I have heard I disliked - but it may be the style, it was sort of easy listening but of very poor quality. Not my sort of thing at all.

The chances of me buying Christian music is remote though, I haven't the money to make experiments.

I don't see anything wrong with secular music really. Something in itself isn't wrong, it is if you are convicted of it.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 10:01:59 PM »

The chances of me buying Christian music is remote though, I haven't the money to make experiments.

Even if you did, it would be near sinful to squander it so.  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the