Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286818 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What? FAITH is not a gift??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What? FAITH is not a gift??  (Read 1048 times)
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2004, 12:45:12 AM »

If Faith is not a gift, why is it a fruit of the Spirit.

Gal 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The prophet Isaiah, records these words spoken by the Lord lamenting the House of Israel, at the appointed time, he sought out her fruit, but found none.

Isa 5
1 Now will I sing to my well beloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My well beloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:
2 And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.
3 And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard.
4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:
6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.
7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.

Christians today, believe, winning souls for the Lord are of primary importance, yet the Lord desires fruit of His Spirits labor in each of us.

I will be the first one to admit, I am far from being fruitful, is his regard, especially when measuring myself against what Gal 5:22 says is the fruit God looks for in His chosen vessels.

Yet, I know there is hope for me especially since I have just recently (in my studies) found a passage that I have overlooked in the OT, book of Hosea, I just want to share what the Lord says to His people, and keeping in mind gentiles (we) are simply partakers of His promises to the seed of Israel.

Hosea 14
1 O Israel, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity.
2 Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips.
3 Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride upon horses: neither will we say any more to the work of our hands, Ye are our gods: for in thee the fatherless findeth mercy.
4 I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.
5 I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon.
6 His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive tree, and his smell as Lebanon.
7 They that dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall revive as the corn, and grow as the vine: the scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon.
8 Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.
9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

This little chapter, illuminates the passage at Mat 24, where Jesus say;

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

In the latter days, Israel shall be restored, a remnant shall be saved, and Israel will be fruitful in the end, it is today as a tree with tender branches, putting forth leaves, butt lacks the fruit, which is from God and yet, God promises to make them fruitful.

Mal 4
4:1  For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
2  But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3  And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.
4  Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.
5  Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
6  And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Imagine that, if God is the one that produces the fruit, it is only because He is the vinedresser, the hedge, the fence, who cares for the vine, of which we are the branches,

Jesus said,

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. (Mat 15:2)

This is why, Paul said;

Phil 1
6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Anyone have comments or anything to add, please do so.

Blessings,

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 10:23:21 AM »

I believe it to be a gift for at least the following:
#1 Jesus is said to be both AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith.
#2 Eph 2:8,9 calls it a gift it seems.
#3 God has given to every man the (a) measure of faith.
#4 He gives men the POWER to become the sons of God.
#5 Several references such as the "Life that I now live I live "By the faith OF Jesus Christ." (Gal 2:20-22) There are others where it is called "HIS" faith.

aw
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 10:52:35 PM »

I believe it to be a gift for at least the following:
#1 Jesus is said to be both AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith.
#2 Eph 2:8,9 calls it a gift it seems.
#3 God has given to every man the (a) measure of faith.
#4 He gives men the POWER to become the sons of God.
#5 Several references such as the "Life that I now live I live "By the faith OF Jesus Christ." (Gal 2:20-22) There are others where it is called "HIS" faith.

aw

aw,

Amen Brother ,

Hag 1
3  Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
4  Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your ceiled houses, and this house lie waste?
5  Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
6  Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
7  Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. (Gal 3:22)

Rev 14
12  Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

God Bless,

Petro

me

hello

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 10:19:14 AM »

Ephesians 2:8

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the