Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Wildlife around you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wildlife around you  (Read 5215 times)
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »

Wow!  I am certainly missing out on the fantastic wildlife you brothers are enjoying.  I feel utterly deprived!  Well at least I can live vicariously through you.  Thank God we still have some areas in this country where animals can run free and enjoy their natural habitat.  Thanks for sharing.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

Grin  That's OK Grisly Adams, mountain men aren't known for a good memory, especially after being swatted around by a bear a couple of times. Now, if you just have some of those animals trained to bring you food, you've got it made. You probably even have a guard bear and never have to worry about burglars.   Grin

No but Lizzie has a dog, we use as a guard dog. Though my cats, will attack anyone who doesn't belong. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Just kidding.... I've heard you talk about your place several times, and I can almost imagine it. I'd love to have a quiet place in the mountains or out in the country, just as long as it was reasonably close to medical and other services - maybe 20 minutes away. I think that would be habit forming - especially the quiet, views, and the wildlife.
The Lord blesses each of us, as to our needs.  Yes it is habit forming for me, the quiet, views, my  life. Grin

Though the hospital is 18 miles from me, I made it in 12 minutes one day, when my son had a bad asthma attack.  The ambulance was called, and was suppose tomeet me at a corner of the bank.  It wasn't there so, I went on to the hospital.  The ambulance was just pulling out, of the hospital when I arrived. Oops........... Grin Grin Grin

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »

We have one squirrel that comes to my bedroom window when it wants fed. Then meets me at the front door when I take something out for it.

That's really cute.  I can just imagine it.  Cheesy

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 10:57:44 PM »

Lets see, I get to see........... Pumas, Bald Eagles, Bears, Coyotes, Snakes (to many to name) Deer, Elk, Woodpeckers, Lizards, Horses, Cattle, Prairie dogs, Squirrels, Bats, Owls, Wild pigs, Bats, and Ducks.  Sorry thats all I can remember at the moment. Undecided

Wow, that's amazing.  I guess you have to be really careful around some of them, right?  Have you ever run into a bear or a similar dangerous animal?  What's best to do in that case?  I've heard some people say back away slowly....

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »

Hello Debp,

Sister, we have to remember that Brother Bob is a mountain man, so he might be expecting the bear for a visit, dinner, and a cup of coffee. City folks don't understand these things. OR, in this case, maybe everything should be reversed and you ask the bear the same question.    Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 01:28:37 AM »

Hello Debp,

Sister, we have to remember that Brother Bob is a mountain man

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

he might be expecting the bear for a visit, dinner, and a cup of coffee.

That has never happened yet............ Grin

City folks don't understand these things.

You have that one right brother.............. Wink

OR, in this case, maybe everything should be reversed and you ask the bear the same question.    Grin
Yup, yup, yup....................... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 01:34:03 AM »

Wow, that's amazing.  I guess you have to be really careful around some of them, right?  Have you ever run into a bear or a similar dangerous animal?  What's best to do in that case?  I've heard some people say back away slowly....
Bears don't like being around humans.  If I come across one, I just raise my arms and yell, they run away. 

Pumas (Cougars, mountain lions) though you have to be careful about, they will attack us humans.  Normally though they stay away, from humans. Pumas you back away from.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 10:02:19 AM »

With bears, raising your arms and yelling works only if they don't have cubs with them or if their not old and hard of hearing.
Having had a few encounters with cougars, I find it best to carry something to defend yourself with just in case of an encounter, be it gun, big stick, or mace or strong scented room freshener. You can try backing away slowly, however, if you trip and fall down that big cat is gonna get you. Normally, in our area (Florida) cougars see small animals & children as easy prey. If your standing up and making eye contact your not easy prey, but if your on the ground or running away your in bigger trouble. 
 Some people mistakenly believe if an animal is raised by people such as on a wildlife farm or zoo, that it is tame. These animals are more dangerous than those in the wild, because they have no fear of man. All creatures like to play and playing with a cougar is not fun. They have claws and razor sharp teeth.  Having a healthy respect for all wild animals by remembering they are wild animals is the best way to defend yourself.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

Wink  Brother, I'm not one of those people who thinks that wild animals raised in a refuge or zoo are safe.

I love to watch wild animals, but I give them their space and respect. I have enjoyed being around buffalo most of my life, but I respect them and watch them from a safe place. I also don't do stupid things with wild animals that have gotten many people hurt or killed on the refuge near my home. As examples:

Walking up on one for photos is crazy. It is completely unknown what they will do when someone gets close.

Honking your car horn near buffalo could easily get your car torn up completely. Typically, a person is safe inside a car if they use their heads, but one needs to remember that an adult buffalo can take a car or van apart and demolish it. The car or van loses in a contest with a buffalo.

Grin  If you meet a buffalo on a hiking trail, don't try to go pet it! Quietly back away and let the buffalo have that trail. Don't yell at a buffalo or startle it with any kind of loud noise because it might cause them to charge. Whatever you do, don't attempt to ride a buffalo!   Grin

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »

In 1994, I went on a bus /train trip to Montana. We visited allot of attractions and had a trip through Yellowstone National Park, where in passing we saw a family with little kids walking up into the woods to pet some big elk bulls.. One day when we were out our guide stopped at a field where we could see buffalo across a wide river.  The place was crowded with adults and children. As everyone  walked down a road toward the river, where the herd of buffalo could be see grazing, there was a very large buffalo standing near the road. Our guide said that it was not a real but a statue. We believed him as we stood looking at it and it never moved a muscle for 10 to 15 minutes, but then turned it's head to look at us. We were about 20 feet from it at that point. However, I had seen children run past it no more than three feet away. My group returned to our bus having less faith in our guide in regards to our safety.

I wasn't saying that you believed that. But some people do.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »

Yes, one really needs to be careful about wild animals.   As I mentioned before, we've had a few people attacked by mountain lions in surburban Los Angeles parks.....a couple were killed by mountain lions, we heard they were probably attacked from behind as they jogged or biked .

Another time two women were bicycling and the mountain lion grabbed one....her friend grabbed on to her and wouldn't let her go....but the mountain lion dragged both of them down the slope.  I forgot how she finally scared it off but she saved her friend's life by not letting go of her.

I recently read a book of true stories called "Attacked"....attacks by animals.  The book was quite interesting, some were African lions, etc....but some were bear attacks.  So I guess you need to be careful of them, too.

I have two cats and know how the feline mind works....a wild cat will pounce or chase you if you run.

Oh, one of my cousins in Ft. Walton Beach, FL had a bear looking in his glass door recently.  My cousin got a big kick out of that and called his sister at 6 a.m.!  But I would be afraid it might break through the glass door.  I've seen bears that break into kitchens on the news....forgot the area.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:51:08 PM by Debp » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 11:51:24 PM »

Having had a few encounters with cougars, I find it best to carry something to defend yourself with just in case of an encounter, be it gun, big stick, or mace or strong scented room freshener. You can try backing away slowly, however, if you trip and fall down that big cat is gonna get you. Normally, in our area (Florida) cougars see small animals & children as easy prey. If your standing up and making eye contact your not easy prey, but if your on the ground or running away your in bigger trouble. 
 Some people mistakenly believe if an animal is raised by people such as on a wildlife farm or zoo, that it is tame. These animals are more dangerous than those in the wild, because they have no fear of man. All creatures like to play and playing with a cougar is not fun. They have claws and razor sharp teeth.  Having a healthy respect for all wild animals by remembering they are wild animals is the best way to defend yourself.
When I go out (walking) I carry my pistol, and my cane.  Cats don't like the sound of a gunshot, going off.  You are right a big cat, will have you if you fall.

Wildlife is just that, wild.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 03:13:56 AM »

When I go out (walking) I carry my pistol, and my cane.  Cats don't like the sound of a gunshot, going off.  You are right a big cat, will have you if you fall.

Wildlife is just that, wild.

Also, I think you have to be careful if they think they are cornered.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »

Also, I think you have to be careful if they think they are cornered.
Yup what I think of naturally, I forgot most city folk don't know. Undecided

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2007, 09:02:37 AM »

There is this one crazy cat near me......................

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the