Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286816 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  firefox keeps not responding
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: firefox keeps not responding  (Read 13157 times)
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

I don't know why it keeps not responding or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »

Try restarting your computer.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »

doesn't work

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »

It sounds like a problem with the files being corrupt then. The only thing that I would know to do is to uninstall  and then reinstall it.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 03:36:04 AM »

Hello Brother David,

Problems like this are sometimes caused by upgrading Firefox several times and Windows not cleaning up all the files from the previous version. Regardless, uninstalling and installing fresh solves all kinds of problems. I just hope that you don't have a virus of some sort working. Please do run a good virus checker before you install the clean and new copy of Firefox.

Let us know if this doesn't help.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

I do have a tracking cookie but don't know how to get rid of it. Norton pc checker detected it but avg is still scanning and will take a few hours.

Currently using internet explorer

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:12 AM »

virus found Win32/PEPatch

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:43 AM »

scan complete and virus is vault

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »

Hello Brother David,

I'm very happy that your virus software found it.

Internet Explorer is more apt to get a virus or trojan, so I do recommend that you go back to Firefox if it is convenient. Along with Firefox, there is an extension for Firefox that stops many dangerous things that can be hooked into by advertising, cookies, and other ways. It's called Adblock Plus, and it's free from the main add-on site for Firefox. The default English data file is what you want to subscribe to when you restart Firefox and Adblock Plus asks you about subscriptions. The subscription is also free and loads and updates automatically once you select it as a subscription. This is NOT a replacement for a good virus program, but it does stop tons of really bad things from hitting your computer in the first place. So, your virus checker never sees some of the really bad stuff that Adblock stops because it never gets to your computer. Brother, please let me know if I can help you in any way.

We are in the middle of an ice storm here, and our electricity is off and on. So far, we've been fortunate and the electricity has only been off for a few minutes at a time. My battery backup didn't work, so I've been trying to see what's wrong with it. Electricity going off on a computer is really hard on it. I hope that I have the software for my battery backup working again. If not and the electricity keeps going off, I'll probably turn this computer off until the electricity becomes more stable.

Just send me an email, and I'll help you any way that I can. Below is a nice reminder of the portion of Scripture you shared with me the other day. I added it to my quotes file.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 51:10 ASV  10  Create in me a clean heart, O God; And renew a right spirit within me.

Psalms 8:1-9 ASV  1  O Jehovah, our Lord, How excellent is thy name in all the earth, Who hast set thy glory upon the heavens!  2  Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou established strength, Because of thine adversaries, That thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.  3  When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;  4  What is man, that thou art mindful of him? And the son of man, that thou visitest him?  5  For thou hast made him but little lower than God, And crownest him with glory and honor.  6  Thou makest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; Thou hast put all things under his feet:  7  All sheep and oxen, Yea, and the beasts of the field,  8  The birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, Whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.  9  O Jehovah, our Lord, How excellent is thy name in all the earth!

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »

cookie tracker is still there and firefox is still acting up

I had adblock but don't understand how to use it

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »

cookie tracker is still there and firefox is still acting up

I had adblock but don't understand how to use it

Hello Brother David,

I don't remember hardly anything about Internet Explorer. I quit using it a long time ago after reading many stories about how easy it was to hit with various virus, etc. I can't even remember if there is a command in Internet Explorer to let you view the cookies and see where they are from. Most cookies are completely innocent and actually needed to gain access to services you want or have signed up for. As an example, Christians Unite uses perfectly safe cookies to allow you to log in and get access to post. I can look at my cookies in Firefox and know if they are supposed to be there or not. I can also delete all the cookies from the options menu in Firefox. I have no idea about Internet Explorer.

Ref. Adblock Plus for Firefox and how to use it, it's all automatic and you don't have to do anything. That's the nice thing about it. They also update the worst sites that are automatically updated to your browser usually about twice a week. The update is tiny, so it happens in the background so fast that nothing is interrupted. Adblock Plus is one of their top-rated extensions because it does work very well in keeping all kinds of nasty things off your computer ALL AUTOMATICALLY. So you really don't have to do anything except to push the button and install it. The default settings that come with it are fine, so you don't even have to mess with that. You just push the button for English on the subscription and you're done.

If you uninstalled Firefox and installed it again fresh, I wouldn't have a clue unless there are still parts of the virus on your system. You also want to say "YES" if Firefox asks if you want it to be the default browser. I guess you could have Internet Explorer interfering in some way with Firefox. Other than running the virus checker again, the only other thing I would recommend is getting a free program called Ccleaner. Installation on it is also very simple, and the default settings already set are fine. It cleans out junk, garbage, and corrects some low level errors. You can get Ccleaner at CNet, Softpedia, SnapFiles, Tucows, and nearly all good software download places. I say good because these are large and known to be safe. By the way, Ccleaner also deletes cookies, and this should cause you no problem at all. You would simply get a new cookie the next time you visited a site requiring username and password for access.

Just one other idea:  right click that record of the tracking cookie and see if there is a command for "Properties". If so, copy the information and paste it into a plain text file so you can show us what it says. Maybe we can figure out how you got it and whether it's part of the problem or not. Most cookies are not a problem at all. If you try the things listed here and still have a problem, we will need more information that you might want to send one of us by email if it has personal information in it. The more information that we would need is a better description of the problem, error messages, and anything else that would help to identify the problem.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »

cleaner and adblock installed. Cleaner deleted all internet explorer cookies and now tracker is gone.

Now to wait and see if firefox will continue to work

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »

cleaner and adblock installed. Cleaner deleted all internet explorer cookies and now tracker is gone.

Now to wait and see if firefox will continue to work

GOOD MORNING BROTHER DAVID!

First, THANKS! for helping us with that advertiser/spammer. That is the sole agenda for some people.

Next, I'm really happy that this apparently solved your problems. I do know that running Adbock Plus continually with Firefox stops all kinds of nasty problems before they ever hit your computer. Ccleaner is excellent, but you can also set Firefox to clean and delete everything when it shuts down WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SAVED PASSWORDS. This also eliminates a lot of problems.

If your Virus Checker allows it, it's an excellent practice to set it to check every incoming email, every download you make, and set it to do an automatic scan of your system every day while you sleep. I don't know what kind of Virus Checker you have, but there are some really good ones that are completely FREE. The same is true for GOOD FIREWALLS, and everyone really needs one these days. Softpedia reviews the best ones regularly, and they are known as SAFE. The reviews are also honest and accurate.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Corinthians 6:19 NASB  19  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »

Thank you for all your help.  Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:28 AM »

Hello Brother David,

You are most welcome. We enjoy having you with us, and we're always happy to help you in any way that we can. You also have helped me and others in more ways than you know. This is one of the big benefits of fellowship between Brothers and Sisters in CHRIST.

We're all just humans, so we all have ups and downs, times of discouragement, times of illness, and other trials to face. BUT, we have GOD and we have each other.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 3:14-19 NASB  14  For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,  15  from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,  16  that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,  17  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  18  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,  19  and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the