Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286816 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Should I be a God fearing person?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I be a God fearing person?  (Read 1353 times)
LeeH

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2004, 06:06:19 AM »

I can not say I am, because I love God , therefor I do not fear him, For god is Truth and I do not fear that word.

I thought I might find some solice in these forums it is the first time I have ever used any kind of forum, I think this will be my last. My last word would be to you Christians this journey to our true source and being is going to be very difficult and you will be tempted by many people to follow a path which leads to a dead end of darkness. My views are not your views and my ways are not you ways maybe, but I know the path you wish to tread, God bless you all, for if I am wrong I know my destiny.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:43:20 PM »

Me thinks you are misinterpreting the translation of 'fear' in the Bible.  It could be more rightly interpreted as 'respect' and/or 'reverance'.  In which case, you should 'fear' Him.

However - having badly misinterpreted your point in another thread - I won't touch this one either.  Grin

I hope you get your questions answered!  Smiley

JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 01:38:11 PM »

A wise man will fear God... a wise man will love God.

The fear of the lord is the begining of wisdom...but just the begining Smiley
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 02:04:58 PM »

Amen, AJ and JudgeNot!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
LeeH

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 06:13:06 PM »

Sorry again. I posted quite a lot, can I just say sorry to cover all of them?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 07:06:35 PM »

LeeH,
Appologies are not necessary for us - we understand!  Grin
(If I had a nickel for every appology I owed I could build a church building and have enough left over to eat a lobster!)  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 06:14:09 PM »

Me thinks you are misinterpreting the translation of 'fear' in the Bible.  It could be more rightly interpreted as 'respect' and/or 'reverance'.  In which case, you should 'fear' Him.

However - having badly misinterpreted your point in another thread - I won't touch this one either.  Grin

I hope you get your questions answered!  Smiley

JN

"Me thinks you are misinterpreting the translation of 'fear' in the Bible.  It could be more rightly interpreted as 'respect' and/or 'reverance'.  In which case, you should 'fear' Him."

Yes!

Thanks,
Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Everyday Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 10:08:13 AM »

LeeH,

JudgeNot was correct, there are two meanings of fear used in the bible, one meaning scared or frightened, another meaning respect or reverence.  Here are examples of both:

Scared or Frightened - "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 Jhn 4:18

Respect or Reverence - "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
    all who follow his precepts have good understanding."  Ps 111:10

I hope that clarifys the difference.  One is healthy and the other is not in reference to our God.  Smiley

Pr. 3:5-7
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 04:32:06 PM »

Actually "fear", as it is translated in most versions I believe, is the most accurate rendering of the word.  Yes it means a reverent awe.  But it also means fear.  We baulk at this because of the verse Everyday Newborn posted.  How can we do both?  Or neither?

It's interesting that the man God brought up to Satan as the example of what a godly man should be, was Job.  And what was he known for?  He was blameless and upright, a man who feared God and turned from evil.  And it's there, I believe, that we come to understand what godly fear truly is.  

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

1 Jhn 4:18

Ungodly fear is fear that doesn't recognize the love of God, nor does it rest in that love.  Forgive me those of you who believe eternal security to be false, but this is what is being discussed.  If you fear judgment for your sin, if you fear losing that salvation, then you are not made perfect, or perfected, or completed in love.  Godly fear doesn't deal with judgment, not even so much discipline.  Godly fear deals with a true understanding of the God we serve, and what cost there is in disobeying that God.  It deals with understanding that in obedience, there are far greater blessings, than in disobedience.  It deals with the fear of displeasing, and disobeying a loving Father.

I heard it best relayed by a lady at my church who related this fear as such: "I was afraid of my dad!  I wouldn't disobey him because of that fear.  But I never doubted his love, or care for me.  I wanted to please him."  And so it is with our Heavenly Father.  We don't want discipline!  We fear it!  But we do not fear a judgment Christ already paid for.  We do not live in fear of failing an angry God.  We live fearful of disobeying a loving Father.

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 04:33:45 PM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 09:38:26 PM »

I guess when me and Him come "face to face" I'll be pretty scared alright.  But right now - it's really hard to be afraid of someone I love so much...
 Smiley

Praise You, Lord, for your goodness!  AMEN!

JPD
Everyday Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 11:33:10 AM »

Actually "fear", as it is translated in most versions I believe, is the most accurate rendering of the word.  Yes it means a reverent awe.  But it also means fear.  We baulk at this because of the verse Everyday Newborn posted.  How can we do both?  Or neither?

It's interesting that the man God brought up to Satan as the example of what a godly man should be, was Job.  And what was he known for?  He was blameless and upright, a man who feared God and turned from evil.  And it's there, I believe, that we come to understand what godly fear truly is.  

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

1 Jhn 4:18

Ungodly fear is fear that doesn't recognize the love of God, nor does it rest in that love.  Forgive me those of you who believe eternal security to be false, but this is what is being discussed.  If you fear judgment for your sin, if you fear losing that salvation, then you are not made perfect, or perfected, or completed in love.  Godly fear doesn't deal with judgment, not even so much discipline.  Godly fear deals with a true understanding of the God we serve, and what cost there is in disobeying that God.  It deals with understanding that in obedience, there are far greater blessings, than in disobedience.  It deals with the fear of displeasing, and disobeying a loving Father.

I heard it best relayed by a lady at my church who related this fear as such: "I was afraid of my dad!  I wouldn't disobey him because of that fear.  But I never doubted his love, or care for me.  I wanted to please him."  And so it is with our Heavenly Father.  We don't want discipline!  We fear it!  But we do not fear a judgment Christ already paid for.  We do not live in fear of failing an angry God.  We live fearful of disobeying a loving Father.

Just a thought...

Thank you for your thoughts Allinall.  There may be some people that do live their life out of fear of losing their salvation, and I'm sure that's not what God intended.  I do believe we can lose our salvation, but the only fear I have is fear of not pleasing my Lord and Saviour.  The thought of disappointing him scares me, not the thought of losing my salvation as you say I do.  I do not fear losing it because I know where my heart is therefore he has my love and I have his, and everyday I live in that love.  Contrary to what you stated, I think I am more complete in my joy because I do see consequences if we turn away, and in that I hold a deeper respect and awe of him, not the other way around.
I do not approach the throne of God with fear that he's going to zap me with lightning and send me to hell for my sin, but rather a healthy respect for his holiness and righteousness.  Again, the only fear I have is my displeasing him because I love him so, even though I know you'll disagree.

God bless

Pr. 3:5-7
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the