Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Americans get fed up with 'Happy Holidays'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Americans get fed up with 'Happy Holidays'  (Read 2981 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:10:14 AM »

Americans get fed up
with 'Happy Holidays' 
But many Democrats in new poll
can't stomach 'Merry Christmas'

A new poll finds Americans overwhelmingly prefer that stores use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their seasonal advertising rather than "Happy Holidays.

The Rasmussen survey found 67 percent favor "Merry Christmas" while just 26 percent prefer "Happy Holidays."

Rasmussen said the poll results were the same for males and females, and there were few demographic differences.

A sharp difference, however, showed up between Republicans and Democrats.

While 88 percent of Republicans prefer "Merry Christmas," just 57 percent of Democrats favor the saying.

Rasmussen also found 57 percent of respondents say they will attend a Christian service on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day this year.

About 30 percent won’t go to a special service. Women are more likely to attend a Christmas service than men, the survey found.

Several activist groups have launched campaigns in the last few years to encourage stores to acknowledge that their biggest retail season of the year is about Christmas, not winter or simply "holidays."

As WND reported, a group called the Committee to Save Merry Christmas launched a successful boycott against Macy's then targeted Sears for eliminated references to Christmas in its advertising.

The home-improvement retailer Lowe's dropped references to "Holiday Trees" in favor of "Christmas Trees" just one day after a WND story brought national exposure.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »

The Rasmussen survey found 67 percent favor "Merry Christmas" while just 26 percent prefer "Happy Holidays."

But it will be the 26 percent that get catered to, because "we just don't want to offend anyone".  (snear)

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »

Yes the fear of offending is a problem even amongst many Christians. If we truly wish to follow after Christ and to do His will we will not be afraid of offending but rather we will have the love for others that we will want them to know the truth. The truth is offensive to those who are lost no matter how we word it. I have heard from some Christians that they just let their actions do the witnessing so that they don't offend others. Unfortunately even that offends many. Our witness lays not just in those things that we do but also in what we say.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:59:17 AM »

I'll say

MERRY

CHRISTMAS!

and I could care less who's offended. My last concern on any matter would be to be politically correct. I'll spend money where people say Merry Christmas and have no problem in recognizing JESUS CHRIST as KING. Further, my city will have 8+ city blocks full of Christmas lights and decorations. The area is a very wide median and almost a block wide. It's called the Boulevard of Lights, and people will come to see it from many miles away. AND, dare I say it - there will be several extremely large NATIVITY SCENES, Wise Men, many Bible Characters, and almost countless obviously Christian displays. Many churches will take part. It's one of the largest in this part of the country. We've had it for many years and don't plan to stop. There's another huge display like it in a city 50 miles South of us and another one 40 miles North of us. The gorgeous Holy City of the Wichitas and CHRIST of the Wichitas will be lit up about 14 miles North of us. Fort Sill is right next to us, and it's actually considered to be part of our city, and it will also be beautiful.

Most of our churches will have several special services (i.e. Christmas Plays, Prayer Services, Cantatas, New Year Services, Events for the Salvation Army, Events for the various shelters, Events for the Food Bank, and much more.) In short, it will be a beautiful time, and the churches will be MUCH busier than the bars and clubs. Frankly, I could care less who doesn't like it. Nobody is forced to come and participate. GOD will be thanked, praised, and Glorified - AND this is what Christmas means to me.

MERRY

CHRISTMAS!

TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »

I have always loved this song and I agree with everything everyone has said here..
Anyone remember this song?

Let’s Put Christ Back Into Christmas (This Year)
(Tammy Wynette’s CD, Christmas With Tammy)

Unto you is born this day a Savior
A baby boy was found there in a manger
The blessed truth of Christmas let us hear
Let’s put Christ back into Christmas this year

Christmas is the Birthday of our King
The greatest gift of all He came to bring
He’s the Prince of Peace
Let’s show Him that we care

On this day three wise men saw a star
They followed it with gifts and traveled far
And praised the baby Jesus lying there
So let’s put Christ back into Christmas this year

Let within your heart His praises ring
And celebrate the day our Savior came
May peace on earth at Christmas time appear

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »

Amen and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I like that song also.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »

If we truly wish to follow after Christ and to do His will we will not be afraid of offending but rather we will have the love for others that we will want them to know the truth.

Yeah for some reason when I read Matt 3:7 "O generation of vipers" I just do not think Jesus was worrying about offending anyone...matter of fact I think the point was to offend them...point out the truth of the error and how they had begun to twist the Word of God just as Satan had in the garden.

And when Jesus overturned the tables in the Temple not only once but every year for three years I am sure that He was not concerned with political collectedness.

When are we going to overturn the tables in this Temple called the United States of America and take back the religious freedoms that our forefathers fought so hard to establish and keep?   Let Jesus shine in everything that you do and seek out the opportunities that God lays before you to spread the Gospel. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »

Hello Brother Jerry,

You asked an excellent question that I've thought about many times. I would love to take back our country and put it back on the same foundation of the current Constitution, but add language that would forever remove all the wiggle room for activists and liberal judges who can't read or understand history.

It would take such a massive efforts in petitions that it would be best to go ahead and force a Constitutional Convention to settle a laundry list once and for all. It would eventually require votes in all states on all issues brought before the Convention, but I think it would be wonderful. We could also fix the balance of power, abortion, gay marriage, public schools, and a huge list of things that are in desperate need of attention.

I might add that there would be many people desperate to stop a Constitutional Convention and a vote of the people on many issues. The results would be written into the Constitution in a manner that nails the issues down entirely. All kinds of government abuse and other national issues could be all handled at once. Ultra-liberals and folks like the ACLU would have strokes just thinking about something like this. The people would be put back in charge of the country, and it would resemble what the Founding Fathers intended. The ultra-liberals who didn't stroke completely out would probably leave the country and take the ACLU and groups like them along.

Something like this would require a ton of work, and much of it would have to be by volunteers. However, I think that 10 volunteers would compete for each needed position, further I'm positive that we could fund it.

In the meantime....

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »

Hang on BEP.

Although I agree with you completely I also get fearful when we feel we have to put such moral values into a constitution.  When we start to do that we push ourselves closer to a Theocracy.  And closer to things such as Islam, and others throughout history. 

Personally I do not think the federal government should be involved in alot of the moral issues that lobbyists have pushed upon the government.  Out government has taken on more and more responsibilities of running our lives.  And it was never designed nor created to do that.  The government was to regulate interstate issues, provide defense for the states, and act as a voice of the "UNITED" States.  We have gone from a country of United States to Divided States. And one government which is being pushed into making it simply a big State.

Look at illegal immigration.  The government already has policies in place to handle immigration.  And if they were enforced then the system would work.  But for one reason or another states as well as fed level support was not there and the problem got very huge.  Money, training, whatever.  The system works as long as it is supported and enforced.  Sort of like having a policy of no fighting in school...what good is it if you do not enforce it?  Then you start to complain when gangs take over and are beating people up every day, instead of once a month when you were not enforcing it....wah wah wah.  Should have done your job to begin with and these problems would not have been there.

And putting a bunch of moral "laws" into a constitution sets us back over 2000 years to the Pharisees.  They lived by their Law that was written on paper and not what was in their hearts.  Our head government is to protect us, provide for us, and keep us warm, it is to ensure that the Constitution is being upheld.  Not force people to obey and conform to the will of those that had power to write the Constitution.

I wish we could outlaw abortion.  And I pray that we do.  It is a pretty clear cut idea in my mind what abortion is.  And what it comes down to is defining what murder is.  And look at our legal system now and the problems with it and lawyers getting mass murderers reduced sentences because of a plea bargain. 

Personally I believe our Constitution should be clearly spelled out what the gment does and if what you are asking it to do does not fall into the realms of it's outlined responsibility then the State should handle it.  Hmmmm sort of like it is now...except the people in DC do not know what their responsibility is so they over step their bounds quite often.

Sorry for the rant Smiley

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:50:55 PM »

Hello Brother Jerry,

You forgot to read the first paragraph:
You asked an excellent question that I've thought about many times. I would love to take back our country and put it back on the same foundation of the current Constitution, but add language that would forever remove all the wiggle room for activists and liberal judges who can't read or understand history.

Same foundation - just room to twist and distort removed. The plain and unquestioned intentions are recorded in lengthy history and mountains of evidence. The language was also pretty plain, but NONE of this meant a thing to activists courts and butchers of the Constitution. As an easy example:  right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness means just that. Our courts have twisted and distorted things to the extent that they don't even resemble the Constitution.

Religious education and prayer in public schools is another perfect example. Congress bought Bibles and Hymn Books for public schools. Separation of Church and State has always been a manufactured LIE and just in existence over about 50 years. Reference moral values, let's get real. Moral values were in everything and still are. This is what the ACLU is trying to remove.

Average folks have no idea how much a part the Bible and prayer played in every day life in America for well over 200 years and past 1940. Chapter and Verse from the Bible were noted in law books for serious crimes, and the list goes on and on and on. There were still laws being enforced into the 1970s for most commercial establishments to be closed on Sunday - the Sabbath. So, one needs to get an education about what America was for way over 200 years. It was UNDER GOD, and it was based on MORALS - AND there were no apologies. It was a nation founded by Christians for Christians. These are just plain facts, and mountains of evidence make them impossible to argue. This is one of the main reasons why groups like the ACLU took real American History out of the classroom. However, REAL AMERICAN HISTORY still exists, and the LEFT is scared to death that folks, including you, will discover what it is and was. One can rant all they want, but they would be ranting falsely without the facts. The rant should be in the other direction if we want this country to be Constitutional. I, for one, would love it to be Constitutional. It didn't start falling apart until minority groups started running GOD out of everything. That doesn't mean that it was perfect, but it was 10 times better than it is NOW. SO, for a Christian - the rant should be in the other direction - where we came from instead of where the devil wants to go.

Wink  I'm not sorry for my rant at all - not a word of it.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:34:17 PM »

Agreed completely...and yep sorta glossed over that first part.

And I was only sorry if that rant seemed directed at you Wink

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the