Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286812 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Versions of the 23rd Psalm first line
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Versions of the 23rd Psalm first line  (Read 6152 times)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 04:34:30 PM »

Tell me michael_legna, are you a Roman Catholic ?

Yes.

May I ask you what your denomination is?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 04:35:07 PM by michael_legna » Logged

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »

Don't be sorry ebia.  It's not your fault if you can't recognize "gold."    Smiley
On top ofthis there are many well known errors in the Authorized Version, such as Jesus and the Disciples plucking ears of corn, when corn wasn't brought from the Americas for another 1500 years.  
Good posts otherwise, Michael, but I've got to pick you up on this one - it's not an error in translation, but a problem of Americans reading an English translation.   The English use the word "corn" to describe any cereal crop (wheat, barley, oats, etc).  What the Americans call corn, the English call maize.   Only very recently has English usage started to change towards the American usage.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 05:23:32 PM »

Tell me michael_legna, are you a Roman Catholic ?
Yes.
May I ask you what your denomination is?
I have thought so for a while now but I don't hold it against you.   Smiley
It explains your aversion to the AV.  It's that "awful" Epistle Dedicatory in the front.  I am sure that if that had not been included, the RC Church would have taken the AV as its own.  As it was, they were forced to reject it.  It also explains your attitude to scripture interpretation.  I have seen really clever men deterred for interpreting the word because they have been taught by their church that only the priest can interpret the word.  I used to listen to "Eternal Word Television Network" [EWTN] radio and some of the scripture interpretations on there [to justify their dogma], defied belief.

Extract from the Epistle Dedicatory :
"that since things of this quality have ever been subject to the censures of illmeaning and discontented persons, it may receive approbation and patronage from so learned and judicious a Prince as Your Highness is, whose allowance and acceptance of our labours shall more honour and encourage us, than all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. So that if, on the one side, we shall be traduced by Popish Persons at home or abroad, who therefore will malign us, because we are poor instruments to make God's holy Truth to be yet more and more known unto the people, whom they desire still to keep in ignorance and darkness; or if, on the other side, we shall be maligned by self-conceited Brethren, who run their own ways, and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil"

Popish persons could hardly embrace that.  I was baptized into The Church of England but foremost, I am a Christian.

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 06:11:13 PM »

Extract from the Epistle Dedicatory :
"that since things of this quality have ever been subject to the censures of illmeaning and discontented persons, it may receive approbation and patronage from so learned and judicious a Prince as Your Highness is, whose allowance and acceptance of our labours shall more honour and encourage us, than all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. So that if, on the one side, we shall be traduced by Popish Persons at home or abroad, who therefore will malign us, because we are poor instruments to make God's holy Truth to be yet more and more known unto the people, whom they desire still to keep in ignorance and darkness; or if, on the other side, we shall be maligned by self-conceited Brethren, who run their own ways, and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil"
Given that this was written at a time when both sides of the reformation argument were doing appalling things to each other in the name of God, its best forgotten by both sides.

I was baptized into The Church of England but foremost, I am a Christian.
And you take the 39 articles seriously as something more than an historical document?

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 06:50:14 PM »

Yes I do ebia.  The 39 articles contain valuable truths both for the time they were written and for eternity.  They reveal many of the false interpretations of the RC Church [and others] at the time they were written.  Unfortunately, many still remain to be corrected.  Many people would agree that the church has got itself into a fine mess but the written fundamentals have never been repealed.

Anybody interested to know what the articles say can find them at http://anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 09:50:36 PM »

Don't be sorry ebia.  It's not your fault if you can't recognize "gold."    Smiley
On top ofthis there are many well known errors in the Authorized Version, such as Jesus and the Disciples plucking ears of corn, when corn wasn't brought from the Americas for another 1500 years.  
Good posts otherwise, Michael, but I've got to pick you up on this one - it's not an error in translation, but a problem of Americans reading an English translation.   The English use the word "corn" to describe any cereal crop (wheat, barley, oats, etc).  What the Americans call corn, the English call maize.   Only very recently has English usage started to change towards the American usage.

I don't know who tried to pass this approach off to you but it doesn't make sense.  The Greek word is stachus (Strongs 4719) which is translated a head of grain.  The Douay Rheims which was translated prior to the KJV but in the same era refers to plucking the ears but doesn't add corn to the translation.  I think the KJV just got it wrong.  If they had just ears or just the corn of the grain they might be able to pass this off as a colloquial but not when they have "ear of corn" together, especially when another translation (such as the Rheims) which was relied on heavily by the translators, got it right ahead of them.

Besides this was just an example, we both know there are many errors of translation in the KJV.  That is not to disuade anyone from using it, all translations are the efforts of men so are bound to contain errors, we just have to be ready to recognize that fact.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 09:53:37 PM by michael_legna » Logged

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 10:10:30 PM »

If the Word is written in your heart, you will recognize it as true.
Surely someone has said that before me.  Huh

If not - please give the credit to God.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2004, 01:26:56 AM »

I sometimes wonder if you guys give your wife a psychology test before kissing her good night.  LOL

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2004, 01:41:53 AM »

I don't know who tried to pass this approach off to you but it doesn't make sense.  The Greek word is stachus (Strongs 4719) which is translated a head of grain.  The Douay Rheims which was translated prior to the KJV but in the same era refers to plucking the ears but doesn't add corn to the translation.  I think the KJV just got it wrong.  If they had just ears or just the corn of the grain they might be able to pass this off as a colloquial but not when they have "ear of corn" together, especially when another translation (such as the Rheims) which was relied on heavily by the translators, got it right ahead of them.
Seriously, I grew up on an English arable farm, and it would never have occured to me that an ear of corn was refering to maize rather than the ear (head, whatever you want to call it) of wheat or barley.  It's not a colloquialism, it's a full scale difference in language between UK English and American English.

Besides this was just an example, we both know there are many errors of translation in the KJV.  That is not to disuade anyone from using it, all translations are the efforts of men so are bound to contain errors, we just have to be ready to recognize that fact.
I'm not disputing the fact that there are plenty of errors in the A.V., but this isn't one of them - it simply isn't an error in British English.

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 01:55:26 AM »

2.   All the world is God's own field,
   fruit as praise to God we yield;
   wheat and tares together sown
   are to joy or sorrow grown;
   first the blade and then the ear,
   then the full corn shall appear;
   Lord of harvest, grant that we
   wholesome grain and pure may be.

Click here for the music and words

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2004, 02:37:21 AM »

Corn, in botany. The name corn is given to the leading cereal crop of any major region. In England corn means wheat; in Scotland and Ireland, oats. The grain called corn in the United States is Indian corn or maize (Zea mays). The part of the United States where most of the corn is grown, including Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska, is known as the Corn Belt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition Copyright © 2003, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
http://www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

Click here for the words and music

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2004, 02:38:38 AM »

Seriously, I grew up on an English arable farm, and it would never have occured to me that an ear of corn was refering to maize rather than the ear (head, whatever you want to call it) of wheat or barley.  It's not a colloquialism, it's a full scale difference in language between UK English and American English.
I'd be moderately surprised if the translators were even aware of maize - even now its a rare crop in England as there isn't enough sunshine for it to grow well.

I'm not disputing the fact that there are plenty of errors in the A.V., but this isn't one of them - it simply isn't an error in British English.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2004, 11:35:53 AM »

I sometimes wonder if you guys give your wife a psychology test before kissing her good night.  LOL

What??!!  You don't???  Tongue

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2004, 03:04:47 PM »

How romantic JudgeNot.     LOL

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2004, 03:16:40 PM »

I will take your word for it, but I can't imagine going into an English market and asking to buy and ear of corn and being sold wheat or barley.  Still the English language is a stange beast so I guess it is possible.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the